Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Outside a few chests that you literally can't see they're not really that devious with them. I used this guy's guides.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRdic7wFhHbWI2HY5M_BIYmy6KYt8KIU3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently you're not supposed to be in the first secret area at level 12 :gonk:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have heard hellish, nightmarish things about the treasure chest trophy in this game and watched one guy try to go through every area in the game for four hours trying to look for a chest he missed and just couldn't find it. Is there just one super secret area in this game where a chest is hidden, or should I be following a treasure chest checklist or something as I go along? In terms of progress, I just met the girl who forgot her name

There's only one chest I can recall that is really devious that I would have never found on my own. Just take your time and search around, take note of any area that you can't access in the moment due to not having an exploration ability or the right mirages on hand for a switch.

For future reference, the most devious chest is: in the first area of the Train Graveyard, right before the exit to the next area there is a blue ramp that you have to come down off of a couple containers. Once you're off the ramp, go to the left side of it and in between two containers, tucked out of sight is the chest.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently you're not supposed to be in the first secret area at level 12 :gonk:

yeah, but don't fret too bad. once you get through about the next dungeon you'll probably be strong enough

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Come back around level 15 and bring some wind magic (a pixie and a moogle would work) and you'll make it through fine. You'll end up leveling up really quick there so you won't be underpowered for long.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
on the other hand, if you don't want to steamroll the game for a while, also remember it's okay to run through the area without specifically grinding. other people said they spent some time there and kind of trivialised the next couple dungeons, so if you still want the combat to resemble something of a challenge, you don't want to do a whole lot of leveling

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

on the other hand, if you don't want to steamroll the game for a while, also remember it's okay to run through the area without specifically grinding. other people said they spent some time there and kind of trivialised the next couple dungeons, so if you still want the combat to resemble something of a challenge, you don't want to do a whole lot of leveling

I'm not too bothered by that, tbh. Right now most of my dudes are around lvl15, and I just cleared the Ice Zone and I'm in Sidonia or whatever now. I should get some wind dudes? I shelved my pixie thing and the moogle.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not too bothered by that, tbh. Right now most of my dudes are around lvl15, and I just cleared the Ice Zone and I'm in Sidonia or whatever now. I should get some wind dudes? I shelved my pixie thing and the moogle.

honestly, just use who you want. there are a couple times where you're gonna want elemental coverage, but it's not hard to train mirages up. the game makes it easy to switch out a mirage here and there and still keep up. hell, I ended up using a lot of teams I never thought I would.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
The moogle is the one mirage I kept through the entire game. It's incredibly good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think its weird how slowly the Mirages evolve in this game. Pokemon has some low trajectory characters like Caterpie who hit their final form at level 10 while the better characters take longer to evolve. However, in this game basically everyone takes the same amount of time to hit their second form, meaning by the time you're running into really solid characters like Valefor or the first form of Tiamat, you're also still sitting on a ton of unevolved filler mirages that will never see the light of day unless you want to postgame grind them up for trophies

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think its weird how slowly the Mirages evolve in this game. Pokemon has some low trajectory characters like Caterpie who hit their final form at level 10 while the better characters take longer to evolve. However, in this game basically everyone takes the same amount of time to hit their second form, meaning by the time you're running into really solid characters like Valefor or the first form of Tiamat, you're also still sitting on a ton of unevolved filler mirages that will never see the light of day unless you want to postgame grind them up for trophies

a lot of mirages get cool transfigurations later or have neat abilities, and ones you train up as you go are gonna be stronger than if you just catch a new one, until the end when there are a lot of decent grinding spots and you can just train up anyone.

plus a lot of them have hidden/locked off third/fourth forms

also off the top of my head, I think there are examples like the babyhemoth where the transfiguration isn't available until like level 30 as opposed to a lot of the other ones that are available sooner

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The transfigurations are sometimes locked behind level requirements but are more often times locked by sheer practicality. My main characters are level 22 and the only mirage who has managed to unlock a form change is Bablizz, I've used Tama in every battle and she still hasn't gotten over to the transfigure board.

Unrelated but managing to capture Cerberus on my first trip through the area and then using him against the boss where he deals 11 damage per attack is the most bummed I've ever been about a video in recent memory

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The transfigurations are sometimes locked behind level requirements but are more often times locked by sheer practicality. My main characters are level 22 and the only mirage who has managed to unlock a form change is Bablizz, I've used Tama in every battle and she still hasn't gotten over to the transfigure board.

Unrelated but managing to capture Cerberus on my first trip through the area and then using him against the boss where he deals 11 damage per attack is the most bummed I've ever been about a video in recent memory

you can probably work towards transfiguring your white/black nakk if you have one (I kept the black one around for flame stuff). then you'll have a much stronger Cerberus

but yeah I was surprised that you always had to train them up from level one

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah my main chars are 18 and and I've transfig'd to the mythril golem, so I could get smash. Not found anything else that gives smash yet.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you look at a mirage board and see that the transfiguration block says something like "Tranfiguration (????) - Obtain ????" then that means the transfiguration is story or sidequest-related. You can get that mirage to level 99 and still not be able to transfig it until you meet the right requirements. Just a word of advice: feel free to swap Tama out because she doesn't scale too well in the mid-game compared to some other mirages available to you.

One last thing, every mirage you capture starts out at level 1 and your level (not your stats) compared to the enemy's level appears to affect how much damage you do. So while it is tempting to bust out that shiny new mirage you have to remember to level them up a bit or else you won't get far.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shoren posted:

If you look at a mirage board and see that the transfiguration block says something like "Tranfiguration (????) - Obtain ????" then that means the transfiguration is story or sidequest-related. You can get that mirage to level 99 and still not be able to transfig it until you meet the right requirements. Just a word of advice: feel free to swap Tama out because she doesn't scale too well in the mid-game compared to some other mirages available to you.

Counterpoint: if you swap Tama out then Serafie starts at a way lower level in the postscript

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Counterpoint: if you swap Tama out then Serafie starts at a way lower level in the postscript

Well you can just keep her in reserve so she'll keep earning experience. It's just that her usefulness in battle plateaus for long portions of the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shoren posted:

Well you can just keep her in reserve so she'll keep earning experience. It's just that her usefulness in battle plateaus for long portions of the game.

Yeah, that's what I did. "Swap out" to me means you put them in the prism box.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Shoren posted:

I didn't feel like the grinding was all that bad. Reynn and Lann hit level 99 surprisingly easy. It also helps that the "100" mirage boards is really like 33-50 because of the tangential mirage transfigs you can do. Once you're done with all the mirage boards then the coliseum is really easy. Just stack up with a high magic stat and nuke everything with ultima.

You mean the Magic Jar in the forest? There should be an elixir you can find at some point leading up to there, either in the Watchplains or the Nebula. Can't remember which, but I think it's worth backtracking to look for it because that's one of my favorite mirages.

Am I missing something? The magic pot or jar or w/e in the frozen area seems to have poo poo stats. Is its upgrade better?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Am I missing something? The magic pot or jar or w/e in the frozen area seems to have poo poo stats. Is its upgrade better?

I was talking about the magic jar (the variety with the gold face, not the black & white one), which you can find in the forest area before the frozen area. It's kind of in a secret area and you'll have to use the hints in the Occult Fan to get to it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shoren posted:

I was talking about the magic jar (the variety with the gold face, not the black & white one), which you can find in the forest area before the frozen area. It's kind of in a secret area and you'll have to use the hints in the Occult Fan to get to it.

you say that, but I am blind and missed the chest for the first Occult Fan, so I just ran through the area and used trial and error until I found my way through.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I...didn't even read the occult fan and figured it out on the first try because it's sort of blindingly obvious.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

you say that, but I am blind and missed the chest for the first Occult Fan, so I just ran through the area and used trial and error until I found my way through.

I'm even worse than you because I had the Occult Fan, I read it, and I still did it by trial and error.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

*walks through dungeon and encounters floating light butterfly things* "Oohh, they the-say that these show you the way if you're the-lost!"

*enters maze with the floating light butterflies at one of four exits in every room* Guess I'll use trial and error! :haw:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sorry that was kind of mean but unless you straight up weren't paying attention to the game I don't really understand how you can miss the game telling you exactly how to do it in an unskippable conversation in the same dungeon (and if you weren't paying attention then I feel like it still gives me cause to make fun of you :colbert:)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

:shrug: I played through there in two segments so I forgot what was said when you enter the area for the first time. Can't say how I didn't notice all the pyreflies congregating at one exit, but I picked up on it when going through a second time and went :doh:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

Sorry that was kind of mean but unless you straight up weren't paying attention to the game I don't really understand how you can miss the game telling you exactly how to do it in an unskippable conversation in the same dungeon (and if you weren't paying attention then I feel like it still gives me cause to make fun of you :colbert:)

I straight-up fast forward through 90% of the game's dialogue because the voice acting is obnoxious and they wouldn't let the guy who wrote the tutorials and monster encyclopedia entries write the rest of the script, and instead I have to listen to WHAT THE HONK

This might seem like a strong critique but in a way tuning out every spoken word in the game so I can get to the actual gameplay segments faster is the perfect FFX nostalgia experience

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I straight-up fast forward through 90% of the game's dialogue because the voice acting is obnoxious

That's what the Japanese V.O. is for.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

That's what the Japanese V.O. is for.

I don't have the Japanese VO! I read somewhere I needed to pick it up as DLC, is it free? I tried switching already, believe me, and the voices default to off and I can't turn them on

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't have the Japanese VO! I read somewhere I needed to pick it up as DLC, is it free? I tried switching already, believe me, and the voices default to off and I can't turn them on

It comes with the Digital Day One edition. It was also a pre-order bonus.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 30, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

It comes with the Digital Day One edition. It was also a pre-order bonus.

though it's worth noting that places like Amazon still sell the Day One Edition. I got mine a couple days after release day and still got the Day One Edition with the bonuses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Day One' with SE stuff tends to just be every copy that isn't second hand.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

'Day One' with SE stuff tends to just be every copy that isn't second hand.

This. Day One more or less means "If you don't buy this new, you won't get the full game."

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 5, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Okay what idiot decided it was a good idea to have "hit this monster with a status ailment it's super resistant to" as an imprism condition? I tried to catch this Manticore for 20 minutes before deciding I value my time too much to put up with this bullshit

I hope whoever's responsible for this affront to game design got fired

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Do it repeatedly. Any Prismtunity that isn't a "Once Per Battle" gets intensified (brighter aura, greater capture rate) as it's repeated on the same Mirage, and the ones that are one-offs start at max anyway.

That 20 minutes could've been three!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't think you understand. I didn't inflict poison on this thing and then spend twenty minutes trying to catch it. I spent twenty minutes trying to inflict poison on it. It never happened. I never got to the point of being able to attempt to catch it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Okay what idiot decided it was a good idea to have "hit this monster with a status ailment it's super resistant to" as an imprism condition? I tried to catch this Manticore for 20 minutes before deciding I value my time too much to put up with this bullshit

I hope whoever's responsible for this affront to game design got fired

that was my story with imps, who are resistant to confusion. you're probably better off trying to imprism a sandicore (the requirement is just that it's the last one standing) and transfiguring it to a manticore (only a level requirement) or transfiguring it to a memecoleous to a sphynx (you just have to get the memento) to a manticore if it's going that poorly.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

So I've just started on the post-game proper that is, beating Ultra-Bahamut or whatever his name is. My feelings about the two main characters and their comparative lack of an arc stand, I think, but they stand a little lower. They definitely do change going towards the second ending, but I still didn't find their journey particularly great.

The game is a lot of fun and I enjoy the combat, the stories of the main FF characters and basically everything else about the game, other than the final two dungeons of the first ending.

Now that I've started properly on post-game content, can I just say that it's incredibly annoying not to be able to use Mega Mirages without my two main characters in the stacks? It makes sense, more or less, but it was kind of a kick in the teeth when I was used to being able to play a certain way and the game says "Hey now you can have all the fun without those jerks butting in!" but then you can't have all that fun it turns out, you can have a third of the fun (since you also miss out on champions and imprisming). It's cool to have three monsters in a stack, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

You can still use Champions and Imprism as long as you use one of the two Wondertwins, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The major plotpoint of the endgame is that those are mirage versions of Lann and Reynn, imprismed by Enna Kros and left in the care of Hauyn. Enna Kros was nice enough to leave the "door" of their prismariums wide open so that they can continue to exist in their own world, in much the same way that Lann and Reynn allowed the Pleiad to run amok back in the day. When they're not in the party, they're back in their prismariums, and it's actually Enna Kros doing the summoning (see: Omega God cutscene where Enna Kros summons them).

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread