Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IcePhoenix posted:

You don't have to go through twice, just don't blindly take the door after the boss and keep going to the next area.

Oh fair enough :v:. I thought I was locked into teleporting away when I first got to that part.

bloodychill posted:

Gotta walk around after the boss to get the gobbos too.

Which ones? I was able to get normal through red captains before getting to the boss and I thought that was it outside the Princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In retrospect it's a bit weird how underutilized the chain mechanic was. It only really matters for the goblins and like one other time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

In retrospect it's a bit weird how underutilized the chain mechanic was. It only really matters for the goblins and like one other time.

there are some other times where you have to take out leaders/bosses before you can imprism the lower level mooks, like any area with Bahamutian soldiers or Icicle Ridge. it's definitely not a hugely prominent mechanic gameplay wise, but it's there.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

You can actually see which mirages you don't have/haven't encountered from the travel screen when leaving the hills. I just discovered this last night despite being like 12 hours into the game.

HOLY poo poo!

Also how do you encounter the Goblin Princess to capture her? I did both the WoL's clock things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

HOLY poo poo!

Also how do you encounter the Goblin Princess to capture her? I did both the WoL's clock things.

Just go back to where the Goblins hang out, she's standing right there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mezzanon posted:

HOLY poo poo!

She's hanging out in the "world map" in the area between Cornelia, the Camp, and the Nebula

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

IcePhoenix posted:

You can actually see which mirages you don't have/haven't encountered from the travel screen when leaving the hills. I just discovered this last night despite being like 12 hours into the game.

You can also access this screen by pressing the PS4's controller's pad and then square or triangle (idr which) to open the world map.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Veks posted:

You can also access this screen by pressing the PS4's controller's pad and then square or triangle (idr which) to open the world map.

square to get the world map, triangle once you bring that up

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Huxley posted:

I went back and did that little back area in the first cave dungeon trying to catch a couple of rare mirages, and then I was so overleveled I killed the next boss before he got an action.

Whoops.

Can you avoid this by just running from every fight that doesn't have the rare mirages?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've noticed that randomly my attacks will hit for 0 damage. is this some random passive I don't know about on certain enemies or what?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

morallyobjected posted:

I've noticed that randomly my attacks will hit for 0 damage. is this some random passive I don't know about on certain enemies or what?

Yeah, some mirages have a passive chance of nullifying damage entirely, like one of those Egyptian cat ones and the XL metal giant.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Suaimhneas posted:

Can you avoid this by just running from every fight that doesn't have the rare mirages?

If you keep a mirage with the 'flee' passive ability in your lineup then it might be worth doing. Or you can just keep swapping out your mirages for ones that are underleveled and then only Reynn and Lann will end up strong. Just remember that if you run from battle then you won't keep any mirages you captured. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about becoming overleveled because you'll quickly see diminishing returns from fighting there and the enemies will catch right back up in a zone or two.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

morallyobjected posted:

If an enemy outlevels / out stats you by enough you will often do zero damage.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

If an enemy outlevels / out stats you by enough you will often do zero damage.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yeah, some mirages have a passive chance of nullifying damage entirely, like one of those Egyptian cat ones and the XL metal giant.

this seems like the more likely explanation, since it was those two enemies specifically I remember it happening with. going from hitting weaknesses for 600+ to 0 the next turn was a bit confounding

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Post game question: After doing the Omega God and Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh dungeons, what else is there to do? I did Omega first and then the dungeons, a bit disappointed by the ease after hearing the postgame was going to be a little more challenging. My Freet / Gilgamesh / Behemoth stack is just Lambasting / Windslashing through all 3 dungeons, and Mist Dragon Gentle Breezed me through Omega. Does the Coliseum house some decent post game content or am I basically done once you finish everything in the tea room?

e; Just cleared not-Ifrit and opened the 4th door. Let's see what's inside...

e2; XG has so much hp and yet poses no real threat to you. This is taking forever and I have not come close to wiping. Either he is going to do something stupid at 10% HP that wipes me and makes me redo the fight, or this is just a grind. Is there a 5th door?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 5, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Post game question: After doing the Omega God and Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh dungeons, what else is there to do? I did Omega first and then the dungeons, a bit disappointed by the ease after hearing the postgame was going to be a little more challenging. My Freet / Gilgamesh / Behemoth stack is just Lambasting / Windslashing through all 3 dungeons, and Mist Dragon Gentle Breezed me through Omega. Does the Coliseum house some decent post game content or am I basically done once you finish everything in the tea room?

e; Just cleared not-Ifrit and opened the 4th door. Let's see what's inside...

e2; XG has so much hp and yet poses no real threat to you. This is taking forever and I have not come close to wiping. Either he is going to do something stupid at 10% HP that wipes me and makes me redo the fight, or this is just a grind. Is there a 5th door?

That's about it for the postgame really. That and the few high level coliseum challenges, but they aren't harder than the final; postgame dungeon boss. No 5th door.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's about it for the postgame really. That and the few high level coliseum challenges, but they aren't harder than the final; postgame dungeon boss. No 5th door.

It took a few X-Potions and a bunch of Mega Phoenixes, but got that boss down after a while. He pretty much spams Kishin for 25k+ damage for the last 20% hp. Wasn't too hard to take care of with Fritt/Gilgamesh/Behemoth doing nothing but spamming Lambaste with Haste/Bravery on while Zapt/Mist Dragon/Lann spammed Gentle Breeze, Haste, and items. Everyone but Gilgamesh was level 75, he was level 73. I imagine use of Megas would have helped take some of the pressure off with Kishin spam, but I didn't want to drop someone from Reynn.

Not sure if I'll do the Coliseum stuff, I'm not interested in getting platinum and from here I think all I can really do is farm gil and gems to get the top tier spell seeds and ++ stat seeds for making crazy multiplayer mirage boards. Might read through the entire mirage manual/bios and call it a game.

90%+ of Mirages captured, all interventions done, all post game dungeons done, all Murkrifts done. Just missing a few captures, a few treasure chests, and some Coliseum fights to complete all content with ~42 hours on the clock. Probably would take me quite a while to platinum just because its based on Mirage Board mastery of a ton of poo poo that would take a ton of grinding in postgame dungeons (5th door took a level 1 Diabolos* to 46, needs 59 to Master).

Great game. I look forward to buying too many figures and the sequel.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
don't forget that there are going to be more added things as well. there's at least one more DLC event happening with Sora from Kingdom Hearts happening this winter (originally scheduled for December, but I don't know if that's just for Japan or if it's changed because of the 2.8 delay)

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
I'm about 12 hours of the game and finally starting to enjoy myself. The battles all felt kinda same-y and lacked any strategy for way too long. I hope any sequel would start mixing battles up from the beginning rather than throwing single-enemy bosses at you forever.

Also gonna go ahead and say that Kath Soucie was a disappointing and uninspired choice for Vivi. Square just really doesn't seem to give a poo poo who voices the ff IX characters.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
General question: how do you handle your ability seeds? I've found a bunch, but I'm loath to use them because I don't know which mirages I'll use at any moment. Are they super rare as the game goes on? Or at least is gil a little easier to come by so you can buy more seeds from Chocolatte?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shoren posted:

General question: how do you handle your ability seeds? I've found a bunch, but I'm loath to use them because I don't know which mirages I'll use at any moment. Are they super rare as the game goes on? Or at least is gil a little easier to come by so you can buy more seeds from Chocolatte?

They're pretty uncommon, gil never gets too plentiful. You will always have enough to keep up on consumables, but the real gil sink is more seeds. I played the entire game including the post game dungeons without using anything but Cure and Libra seeds (outside of using 2 STR++ seeds on Gilgamesh for the last postgame boss). If you've got low tier Cure/Fire/Blizzard/etc seeds, just use them as needed to keep your elemental coverage up for captures/weaknesses. Don't stress out about optimizing at all in this game - I died once to the last boss of the main game, outside of that one death I don't think I even used Phoenix Downs outside of instant kill moves. Game is super easy, just have fun with it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

They're pretty uncommon, gil never gets too plentiful. You will always have enough to keep up on consumables, but the real gil sink is more seeds. I played the entire game including the post game dungeons without using anything but Cure and Libra seeds (outside of using 2 STR++ seeds on Gilgamesh for the last postgame boss). If you've got low tier Cure/Fire/Blizzard/etc seeds, just use them as needed to keep your elemental coverage up for captures/weaknesses. Don't stress out about optimizing at all in this game - I died once to the last boss of the main game, outside of that one death I don't think I even used Phoenix Downs outside of instant kill moves. Game is super easy, just have fun with it.

the first part of this is true for me about halfway (probably) through the game. I have plenty of gil if I need to buy battle items, but seeds are 30000 a pop, at least for the ones available now.

it's not that hard to use mirajewels or train up a new mirage/transfigure one you already have to cover a weakness you want to exploit, so that's probably way more of a reliable strategy. the only ones I really use are cure seeds because I like using certain mirages and don't necessarily want to use a mirajewel slot for cure if I don't have to. plus you can always change them later.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
If Final Fantasy XIII-2 is any indication, the coliseum will probably get some superbosses at some point, but :10bux:.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's the average playtime for a 100% run?

I'm between this, Darkest Dungeon or DQ Builders for my vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I'd say 40 hours tops for doing everything. Builders took me less than that though so if you're looking for sheer hours it's probably the best choice of the three, but Builders and DD have more replay value.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say 40 hours tops for doing everything. Builders took me less than that though so if you're looking for sheer hours it's probably the best choice of the three, but Builders and DD have more replay value.

Nah, much much more than 40 hours. I'm at about 43 hours and have done almost everything, and with another 5 hours I could easily finish off the monster manual and the coliseum. If you're going to platinum, though, you need to master 100 mirage boards and that is a pretty significant time sink as the lowest level mastery I have seen so far has been in the mid 50's. I would wager 50 hours for everything else.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alteisen posted:

I did all the content in just less than 50 hours. Unless you mean 100% for plat, then maybe 70 hours or so depending on which mirages you grind up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Nah, much much more than 40 hours. I'm at about 43 hours and have done almost everything, and with another 5 hours I could easily finish off the monster manual and the coliseum. If you're going to platinum, though, you need to master 100 mirage boards and that is a pretty significant time sink as the lowest level mastery I have seen so far has been in the mid 50's. I would wager 50 hours for everything else.

I was thinking 100% of content, not 100% of trophies since yeah the 100 mirage boards one is just mindless grinding.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I was thinking 100% of content, not 100% of trophies since yeah the 100 mirage boards one is just mindless grinding.

Yup, 50 hours should do it then.

I don't think I could physically get the platinum trophy because of the stupid loving Whack-A-Cactuar minigame.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No plat, I'm just looking for something to sink my teeth into.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to switch out Mirages in battle? My big problem with the game so far is that some battles can be a slog if you don't have a very good stack. I guess it is my fault for switching things around constantly, but if you go into a tough battle with a substandard stack, you are SOL.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going back and trying to clear out old areas of chests/secrets/mirages and I ran into a snag on icicle ridge, does anyone know what the second to last mirage in the list there is? Do I have to go somewhere special to find it or am I just getting super unlucky?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

ANd bear in mind this IS a monster-raiser game so you could very easily play this game for weeks and weeks if you're like me and spend an hour of your Saturday running in circles trying to capture a rare spawning Mirage.

Of due note, this game really does keep delivering. I love how they handle the cameos and the whole world in general, I really feel like I'm on a Final Fantasy theme park ride. I've gotten the second key and am now hanging out with Cloud and Celes in the Library of the Ancients and the coming dungeon looks great, the previous dungeon was cool, and so far I'm really liking how the game is structured in a lot of ways. The level design has...well there's actual level design, which is a huge step up from the FF13-era games, but more than that it is fun to wander around the various dungeons, and I'm constantly looking forward to what familiar location I'll be running into next.

This game really is a huge love letter to FF games but more than that it's a love letter to FF gamePLAY; I feel like in a lot of ways I'm playing the 3-D follow-up to 2-D Final Fantasy games that we never really got. The art style sprites really do look a lot like some of the 2-D games artwork. I could almost see a whole game done with this sprite design; tweak a few details, maybe make the heads smaller in favor of more detailed bodies, and you could make it work pretty well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm going back and trying to clear out old areas of chests/secrets/mirages and I ran into a snag on icicle ridge, does anyone know what the second to last mirage in the list there is? Do I have to go somewhere special to find it or am I just getting super unlucky?

I can't check right now but Icicle Ridge has a secret area you can't access until very very late in the game. If you haven't already gotten to that point you may not be able to access it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The "dungeon demo" more or less failed to do anything for me, besides being so :3: i'm practically :4: at the art style

Didn't really seem like there was a point to doing much more than Attacking and completely ignoring the stuff in the menu--whether that's cos of demo difficulty or what I dunno. Probably a blessing in disguise since I don't really have a lot of patience for Numbers Fuckery RPGs anymore

Still tempted to pick it up for the art, music, and rosy nostalgia though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

I can't check right now but Icicle Ridge has a secret area you can't access until very very late in the game. If you haven't already gotten to that point you may not be able to access it.

Bummer. Oh well.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I transfigure a mirage into a different skin, does it keep the stat points it gains from those nodes? I had like 50 something SP to spend when I switched over with my mini-golem out of curiosity, and when I switched back I'm fairly certain his stats were higher than before, but it also might have just been a new sync level and I wasn't paying attention.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't really seem like there was a point to doing much more than Attacking and completely ignoring the stuff in the menu--whether that's cos of demo difficulty or what I dunno.

Isn't this basically "first few areas in every RPG ever" though?

It is late and I should have edited that into my last reply. Oh well.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The "dungeon demo" more or less failed to do anything for me, besides being so :3: i'm practically :4: at the art style

Didn't really seem like there was a point to doing much more than Attacking and completely ignoring the stuff in the menu--whether that's cos of demo difficulty or what I dunno. Probably a blessing in disguise since I don't really have a lot of patience for Numbers Fuckery RPGs anymore

Still tempted to pick it up for the art, music, and rosy nostalgia though

there are plenty of reasons to avoid just attacking and focusing weaknesses. like any RPG, if you're strong enough, of course you can just attack everything, but if you don't intentionally grind, you'll have status effects, toppling, and damage to manage.

plus you can stack a cactuar on your head

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WoFF is not a hard RPG but it's like any given FF game in that how close you are to level par determines how difficult the fights are. WoFF gives you some flexibility there in that you can swap in new monsters to artificially increase difficulty if you really want. (And playing on Active is a lot more stressful than Wait). However it's a FF so it's never going to be hard without gimmick runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll probably just buy in anyway but I've got two very important questions first

- Is that little ratfuck mascot's english VO as irritating as it reads it might be with all that the- prefixing, leaving me on japanese VO? normally I don't mind doing this but FFXIV's remarkably good english VO (as of the current expansion anyway) has me a mite spoiled
- Can you default the battle thing to traditional menus in the full game, 'cos you can't in the demo and I was getting aggravated

• Locked thread