Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I like Final Fantasy XIV, and it's probably the only MMO I play that is defensible on its own merits.

So, fundamentally the whole 90% issue in a MMO comes down to liking how repetition is executed, because none of these games have novel content to last the entire expected lifespan of the game. In FFXIV, like many, there is doing dailies and dungeons over and over again at whatever pace you pick.

What makes FFXIV more interesting to me than most is that the developers clearly understand this and have bent over backwards to make old content still relevant in various ways. Their dry run of this was going back and putting in optional / vanity rewards in old dungeons and raids. In the most recent patch they introduced Wonderous Tails (it's a cat joke) which gives you a chance at very noteworthy rewards for doing a randomized mixture of old and current content each week.

Combine this with two old staples in the game: Newbie Bonuses give you content-relevant bonuses if you drag someone new to the content through it, and the Duty Roulettes give you a once-a-day infusion of experience or tomes (end-game item currency) for running random content per roulette (there's about half a dozen of them).

I recently said in the FFXIV thread that comradery goes a long way, but having systems in place that actually encourage you to want to run with newbies is a very helpful extra step to keep the content populated.

There's also other non-90% things that I think are noteworthy about the game (how the game handles classes, crafting and general lore/story poo poo), but that's my 90%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread