Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People sad about City of Heroes should give DC Universe Online a solid chance. It has some weird design decisions but overall it seems very similar to me. The part that probably turns people off initially is that you have to find costume pieces through playing the game, you don't get all of them at level 1 like in City of Heroes. However, once you unlock that piece you have it forever on that character. Champions Online is really, really bad though.

Agreed on both counts, but it doesn't help that DCUO has this weird split of PVP and PVE in not just server instances, but gear as well. You can't be trundling the world at large for shits and giggles in effective PVE gear expecting you can butt heads on equal footing with a guy decked in PVP gear. Champions does that just slightly better, even though the PVP is far more basic and more based around duels than anything. And, well, RP being nonexistant.

To answer the thread's question, though, hell yeah, roleplaying. I love seeing what people cook up for their characters and what their roles are in the game world at large. Sometimes people play big roles, playing big drat heroes alongside one another or against each other. Other people are perfectly fine with more civilian or supportive character roles being played out in the game world between the exploration and PVE. I love engaging people and being engaged. I like seeing people make the most out of the game world and exploring settings together, in-character, as well. That can also give life to an otherwise mostly sterile game world with just NPCs wandering about. Suddenly, you have people wandering along with you, wondering just what the hell you're typing about, and either being polite about not intruding on that dumb poo poo, or actually joining in on dumb poo poo.

Speaking of, exploration and the tools you have for exploration are my biggest draws to a game. Travel powers and movement abilities always pique my interest very quickly after initial gameplay impressions. I want to see or feel the weight of momentum have impact on my characters' movement. And the more options there are besides the usual staples of flight and running really fast (leaping and some manner of acrobatics or webswinging or short-ranged teleportation are just the best) the better.

But it's usually roleplaying that determines the staying power for me and my retention to an MMO game. Sadly, that is almost always dependant on people being chill, not too far up their own asses about storylines in development or interguild cliques, and there being enough to do with other people besides typing up dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread