Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Is there anything this offers that the new built-in Bash for windows doesn't?

It's an actual Linux install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I set it up last night. It's an Ubuntu install with a Windows mount. There are a lot of limitations with /proc (ifconfig didn't get me anywhere) but apt-get works for mostly everything. Didn't get a lot of time to mess with it but it's interesting.

No, I was saying an Ubuntu install in a VM is an actual Linux installation

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Windows is still full of driver weirdness, scaling oddities, hardware functions that don't work after upgrading...

I use 7 every day at work and have personal laptops running 10, installing the latest Mac OS on a 3-5 year old Mac Laptop isn't really any different than on a brand new one. Windows hardware that old can be a lottery even with the well-supported common stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

System76 published this kind of useless blog post about migrating to Ubuntu from the Mac

http://support.system76.com/articles/switch/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I never do anything with my iPhone and my Mac except copy videos over and do the backup device to iTunes when I get a new one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

Sending a text is literally called "sending a app" here now. They would be using whatsapp.
I don't think anyone has sent a regular text message in years.

Where is "here"?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cakebaker posted:

Interesting! Funny how it differs so much between regions.

Can't really wrap my head around what need whatsapp actually fills in this day and age. Considering the amount of ground covered by messenger, when it comes to the rest (as in the boss/grampa example) why doesn't SMS suffice?
Is tons of free/included texts not standard or something? Only reason I can think of.

Never used it myself but this is what I've read

To elaborate, there are many reasons 1. They have a no ads policy which is a really godsend thing when other messengers had stickers, games and just plain annoying ads. 2. The ones that did not, for ex Google etc were not really made for phones. They understood the importance of using your contacts as social graph really really well. Whatsapp is avaiable native for almost every phone even the cheapest ones 3. They almost never experienced outages. 4. Had sensible defaults. 5. Their apps are lightweight (memory and cpu wise) compared to amount of time one spends on it. 6. Had no api and generally very low spam compared to sms. SMS has really high spam in the developing world. 7. Rich media compared to SMS and no character restrictions

I think west really hates it as most of the people there have iphone and they had this $1 signup which made it unpopular there. They never had that on android which made it a darling of non-west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

revmoo posted:

It's gonna be hilarious when it turns out that running the bulk of the computers on Earth on the exact same monoculture O/S written by a company famous for poor security practices turns out to be a bigger security problem than just having a million different O/S and version combinations. Have we learned nothing from the Cavendish bannana? (No; the answer is no we haven't)

Mac guys have been waiting for a supervirus to shutdown every Windows desktop one dark day, but it's never happened.

• Locked thread