Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I was a Windows guy (Win XP!) until roughly 2006 when I switched over to Mac because I loved OS X for software development in general. I still love OS X but is has been progressively shittier ever since they stopped doing the big cat codenames and switched over to calling the versions such incredibly retarded names as "El Capitan" and "Mavericks"

Anyway I think the time has come to call it quits with Apple. I am thinking of building a mid-tier gaming PC that I can also use for software development. I am wondering what is the best version of Windows to get for gaming (should I just go with Win 10?). For development, I really like that OS X is based on Unix (Darwin) and has a full fledged terminal. I'm thinking I might dual boot with some flavor of Linux and just use that for all my development (probably Ubuntu so I can keep using Sublime Text easily) because I've never been a big fan of Cygwin

Anybody in a similar predicament that can give me any tips on making the transition back? I'll still have my work-issue Macbook Pro retina until they force me to get one of the new Macbook Pro abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Windows 10 has bash shell now.

:monocle: that's pretty cool maybe I'll give that a shot before I explore a Linux dual boot

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is hackintosh actually viable these days or is it still a massive pain to keep working through updates? if i could run macos on my own hardware i would. it is just a shame apple's new macbooks are so loving poo poo.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Just run windows 10, it works perfectly fine and is reliable. You live in chrome anyway.

I don't live in chrome though i rely on tons of *nix tools for work. Is bash fully functional in win10?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
sounds like windows has really come a long way since i made the switch. looking forward to giving it a shot.

it's pretty funny that windows runs bash and has the real sed awk etc programs that come with it. funny in a kinda great way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Visual Studio is one of the better pieces of software Microsoft has ever made. It's up there with Excel.

• Locked thread