Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
You're from the US right? In Europe iMessage could as well be non-existent, WhatsApp is the standard over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I really want a phone that has a touchscreen, a camera but no ios or android.

I am starting to dislike Google a whole lot and Apple can get stuffed after their "courage" bullshit.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Like a feature phone or do you want a smartphone, you just hate both major OSes?

SmartPhone maybe, does not have to be, I use my phone first and foremost as a phone and the extra functionality is nice to have but not necessary. A good camera is though, I find it very handy to keep around. And something like Whatsapp would be cool.

IOs's flat look sucks compared to how it was in my opinion, it was really easy to figure out before. Now you can't even tell if something is a button or not. It looks nice though. I guess that is something.

Google are just evil, they have a for too wide a reach in peoples lives in my opinion, so no Android no.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

~Coxy posted:

This won't happen, but I would find it interesting if someone started buying up iPhones 4S in good condition, downgrading them back down to IOS6.x whatever was the latest, and selling them to people sick of "modern" bullshit.

You know how it works: I am over 35 so anything new is automatically sucky. :)

Quoting Douglas Adams:

quote:

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 8, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm 22 and I'm already starting to feel this way.

Ain't it grand? I would have paid MS over a 100 bucks for something like Windows 10 without the telemetry, Cortana, forced updates including drivers, the store, ads on the desktop, startmenu and now even explorer. Then we have OSX which seems to have jumped the shark in recent times with Siri, network speeds that are half of what I get on my NAS using Windows, problems with display port video cards ( I am not the only one, I checked even the laptops exhibit problems when I last checked) and hardware that is irrelevant for three years now (Mac Pro ). iOS is getting worse with all the baggage they are stuffing into it and the flat shaded stuff is truly terrible IMO. That is not even getting into the headphone jack retardedness.

It seems like a couple of years ago these software companies got to a point where they thought they would never be: stuff was finished, the OS was good enough. But instead of polishing it and removing the rough edges ( Windows: dialog boxes from NT4? The look and feel could be more consistent, kernel can be made better etc. etc.) they started stuffing extraneous bullshit in the OS.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Windows 10 forced updates are sort of a blessing in disguise. My maternal grandmother for example won't have to worry about ransomware when she's continually updated (I assume, I know very little of ransomware and grandmothers).

Probably, if they could have kept the Pro version the Pro version it would be alright. Enterprise is where its at, but you can't really buy it as a consumer.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Kaal posted:

Yeah forced updates are a good thing. They allow users to opt out, but intentionally make it more difficult to do that then to just let the updates go forward. You should have a good reason to not update, not just a feeling of not wanting to be bothered.

No they are not, the OS serves you not the other way around. Windows has a long history of always nagging you for poo poo. I'll update when I want to, don't presume to know better. For example: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-updates-delay-basketball-game/

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
This takes the cake: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/onedrive-ads-windows-10-file-explorer/

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
All the extra cruft, is extra code. Code that needs to be tested, code that needs to be maintained and it is code which does not need to be there in the first place. Programming is hard, programming the worlds most used OS is even harder. Why make it even worse by having all this extra stuff in it. That is what pissing me off about Windows 10.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

GargleBlaster posted:

Apple: "W-wait! I'm sorry! I... I can change, I'll even be a little transparent about future products!"

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/04/apple-pushes-the-reset-button-on-the-mac-pro/

"Can't innovate? my rear end" Phil Schiller as he unveiled the dumbest Mac Pro ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
For my own anecdote: we have iPhones when before we had Android, Win Phone and iPhones and I have to say our helpdesk people find iPhones to have seriously less problems than the other ones.

iOs 8 or 9 was a serious regression for a lot of our iPhone 4 users though.

• Locked thread