Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SplitScreenGamer posted:

I was an Apple user from the early 90s through the early 2000s, but it made a lot more sense to move to PC. More bang for the buck and the ability to customize my machine exactly how I need it. Haven't missed Macs much.

Same, I was full apple forever excepting my gaming PC. When I switched from iOS to Android it was rough for like a week (honestly, just the move from iMessage to other services was the hard part). Then I switched from a Macbook and iPad to a Surface Pro 4 and love it. Just 3 devices nowadays, a Home PC, a work PC, and a phone, and they can all talk to each other just as much as the Apple side, with the exception of iMessage. I get a lot more capabilities, I spend less on poo poo, and if things get hosed up I can fix it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

You're from the US right? In Europe iMessage could as well be non-existent, WhatsApp is the standard over here.

Yeah, my family and work relationships are all very much married to the apple line of products so the concept of NOT using iMessage blows their minds. Why is America so specifically weirdly locked into Apple stuff?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's a great service. The name is terrible, FB still tracks who you talk to and in what manner etc., though doesn't read the content, it's an ugly default wallpaper and has poo poo for theme capabilities but it's free and it works, so.

e: I wonder if Apple is really banking on iMessage being a strong enough reason to stick with iOS. For me, and most people who switched to Android, it's the only thing that makes them want to stay with/go back to iOS. (I'm in the US).

Google is really dumb for having never come up with a sufficient replacement.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He has a point, though. Apple makes poo poo work. That amount of poo poo is just very small, and very expensive. If you're only going to be using that small amount of poo poo, why not buy an apple product? At least with the laptops and such, the battery is always "fine" and they can do basic poo poo and certain apps without any problem. Almost everyone just does basic tasks on their computer anyways, and old people are VERY bad with money and VERY bad with technology, so Apple products just make sense to them.

My parents are happy pretending iPhones are the out-and-out superior phone, they are for rich people and as such are status symbols and they only use iMessage and safari and e-mail. They're happy dropping $800 for every new iPhone and every new iPad because they honestly feel like other people would look down on them if they don't have the latest greatest phone. I tried to explain they could simply not buy a new phone and new iPad for a year and instead buy a T bracelet from Tiffany's or something but somehow when they watch an ad/new article for the new iPhone their old phone starts acting up and they just can't get it to work again, etc. Granted, I use a Google Pixel, but that's more for the fact that I don't upgrade my devices that much and I got it for $10/mo from Verizon for 2 years.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

metallicaeg posted:

That's what I'm wondering as well. I have two Win10 installs at home and haven't seen any of this nonsense. Couple clicks to get Cortana out of the taskbar and clear out all the goofy tiles in the start menu and it's pretty clean.

:same: You can take like 5, maybe 10 minutes to make it not look like complete poo poo. I hate that Microsoft made their start screen on a clean install look like complete dirt like that. All my clean installs have had a bunch of random candy crush things and minecraft random things added to it, it's very obnoxious.

But then you just uninstall them and delete them and you're good to go.

e: I'll give you this: the Edge and Onedrive "suggestions" are poo poo. I've deleted Onedrive from my everything but it's still not 100% cleared off my computer. It's one of those things they should just ask: "Do you want to use OneDrive?" and if you say no, it doesn't keep trying to get you to use it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

well why not posted:

that post lists a dozen reasons MS is a joke but the only one I really care about is how ugly Windows 10 is compared to MacOS.

I personally think MacOS is pretty ugly. Win10 at least is minimal and familiar when you take 20 seconds to get rid of the random ads and poo poo.

If you take 20 minutes when you get a new computer you can get it to run very smooth, quick, lean, and private-- especially if you use utilities like OOSU10. I don't know what it's like for IT people in enterprise-level poo poo, but as a relatively savvy consumer (on a low level) I'm a happier user of Win10 than I was with MacOS/ChromeOS/Linux.

My girlfriend is a dumbass about computers and she has no problems with Win10 (though she also don't give a poo poo about privacy like me). She thinks macOS is "just better" but I'm 80% sure that's marketing since she regularly has to use my PC to do poo poo she can't on her mac, and has had to get her MacBook repaired about.. 3 times YTD.

• Locked thread