Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

redeyes posted:

It's great an Apple appliance works for you instead of a PC. Its awesome relying on a company to make sure your computer works. I mean what kind of nerd wants to actually open their PC and do things to the components?! Insanity.

I can't speak for the Trash can's, but I've had to do just as much stuff inside my 2012 Mac Pro as I've had to do on any of my other PC's after I've built them. Upgrade CPU to 6 core xeon, RAM, Add PCIE SSD card and USB 3.1, Really the only thing I haven't done with it is replace the CPU Board with a Dual CPU board because that's just too much money to spend on a dumpster find.

As far as laptops go, Yeah, not much you can do with them now, it sucks. But that also seems to be the way of other notebook manufacturers.

I use Apple for IT work too. Mostly because at least for me, it's nice to have a unix environment, and a workable desktop OS in the same machine. I am curious to give bash on windows another look after the next update to see if I can use more network tools under it. I'm not super crazy about Windows 10, but I don't really get a lot of the hate for it either. I like it better than 8/8.1, and I respect the fact that at least Microsoft is actually trying to think about how we will use PC's and laptops going forward. I don't think they've hit the mark, but I appreciate the thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread