Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kaal posted:

Yeah forced updates are a good thing. They allow users to opt out, but intentionally make it more difficult to do that then to just let the updates go forward. You should have a good reason to not update, not just a feeling of not wanting to be bothered.

Haha gently caress that you people are loving retarded. The fact that they stopped releasing patch notes is good enough reason not to trust them. I will admit though, it was amusing watching my coworker burn an hour in the middle of the workday last week while his win10 install decided to update with no opt out. As for me I will stick with my macs. For gaming I'm doing a win10 pc on its own firewalled vlan with steam remote play. If you dumbasses want to trust a company that puts ads on solitaire and file explorer and overrides hosts file entries so they can have enable unfettered control over your PC, be my guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's gonna be hilarious when it turns out that running the bulk of the computers on Earth on the exact same monoculture O/S written by a company famous for poor security practices turns out to be a bigger security problem than just having a million different O/S and version combinations. Have we learned nothing from the Cavendish bannana? (No; the answer is no we haven't)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Sometimes when I feel like being a dick I break down a bad design for someone by putting a screenshot into Photoshop, and drawing big red translucent rectangles over top of the areas that actually contain content. It would not look good for the current version of file explorer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GargleBlaster posted:

It seems like 99% of what people complain about in Win10 is because they're too big babies to just turn them off or use some utility to block them. We seem to live in a world now where people assume that the default settings are some kind of dictatorship and not something that can changed.

It's me. I'm the baby that thinks it is absurd that even hosts files entries, manually configured, are not adequate to take control over the property that you have bought and paid for.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GargleBlaster posted:

It seems like 99% of what people complain about in Win10 is because they're too big babies to just turn them off or use some utility to block them.

Reminder that this person is defending a corporation that recently placeds ads on SOLITAIRE and now charges a monthly fee to have them removed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nexxai posted:

How much loving solitaire do you play that ads in the game bother you to the point where you have to post about it?

How much $MSFT do you own that it drives you to the point where you have to post about it?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GargleBlaster posted:

if they put 1/100th of the time they spend complaining on an internet message board about the defaults, into flicking a few switches to "off" and running a couple of tools, I just think they'd have a much better, more constructive time of it.

Or.... just use an OS that doesnt have those switches that need to be flipped to begin with. Your OS is a piece of poo poo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What the gently caress are you even talking about

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Microsoft releases an operating system that:

- Fails to unify UX, adding yet another layer onto the several layers of system configuration cruft that has accumulated over the last two decades or so
- Forces itself onto user's computers without permission and uses misleading dialog boxes to prevent people from opting-out. This breaks numerous systems due to poorly-thought-out scenarios on Microsofts end, and cause untold millions (possibly billions) of dollars in lost productivity due to factory and lab shutdowns, among other things where Windows 10 drivers simply were not available.
- Puts advertising in the start menu, the file manager, and several apps
- Puts Facebook games in its flagship enterprise product
- Tracks users through numerous means, surreptitiously evades prevention by overriding hosts file entries
- Forces updates on users in the name of security, but simultaneously removes patch notes from updates and combines "feature" and security updates
- Misses a "patch tuesday", enabling zero days to stay in the wild at least a month longer than necessary
- Ignores security flaw reports going back to 2016 forcing Google to release them under it's "Project Zero" policies. Microsoft chooses not take take advantage of the grace period offered
- Implements a system that dovetails with United States National Security Letters, allowing the US government control and targeting of every Windows 10 PC on the planet

And goons post fervently in defense of their company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

rsjr posted:

i thought after 2010 or so you people got laid and moved on jesus christ

Lol

• Locked thread