Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0

Synopsis posted:

The Crown tells the inside story of two of the most famous addresses in the world -- Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street - and the intrigues, love lives and machinations behind the great events that shaped the second half of the 20th century. Two houses, two courts, one Crown.

The Crown focuses on Queen Elizabeth II as a 25-year-old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world's most famous monarchy while forging a relationship with legendary Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill. The British Empire is in decline, the political world is in disarray, and a young woman takes the throne....a new era is dawning.
The Crown is an epic drama series, created and written by Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) and produced by Left Bank Pictures for Netflix. The Crown will eventually trace the life of Queen Elizabeth II from her wedding in 1947 to the present day. It is expected to span 60 episodes over six seasons, with Claire Foy playing the Queen in the early part of her reign.

The first season consists of ten one-hour episodes, and was released in its entirety on November 4, 2016. A second season has already been commissioned and is currently in production.
Season 1 reportedly cost around $156 million to produce, with Netflix snapping up the rights from rival networks bidding on the show by paying $100m upfront and immediately ordering 20 episodes.

Cast: IMDB

Queen Elizabeth II (Claire Foy) Daughter of King George VI and Queen Consort Elizabeth.

Prince Philip [nee' Philip Mountbatten] (Matt Smith) Elizabeth's husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. Philip was born into the Greek and Danish royal families.

King George VI (Jared Harris) Became king in 1936 after his elder brother Edward VIII abdicated the throne. Married to Queen (Consort) Elizabeth. Father of Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret.

Princess Margaret (Vanessa Kirby) Daughter of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and the only sibling of Queen Elizabeth II.

Sir Winston Churchill (John Lithgow) Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, serving his second term.

Duke of Windsor. (Alex Jennings) Formerly King Edward VIII, before abdicating the throne as to marry an American woman, Wallis Simpson (Lia Williams)

Trailers:
Official Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0
Sizzle Reel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Q0bJ_zO7w
'2 Worlds' Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkt2U9_Ha98
'2 Courts' Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4Lm9uDhk4

Cheat Sheet:
  • The show starts in 1947, which is only two years after the end of the Second World War. Winston Churchill was Prime Minister of England for most of the war and is revered for his leadership during Britain's darkest hours.
  • George VI has been king since 1936. His elder brother, Edward VIII, was briefly king before him but abdicated so that he could marry a divorced American woman.
  • George VI has no sons so his eldest daughter, Elizabeth, is due to inherit the throne. Margaret is Elizabeth's younger sister and only sibling.
  • Prince Philip was related to the Greek and Danish royal families, so in his first scene he's abandoning those titles and receiving British honours instead in order to marry Queen Elizabeth.

Low effort OP until I finish the last two episodes and update it later tonight.

The show is really good, it has a similar vibe to House of Cards but less of a scope, it follows a handful of main characters and has less 'actual' politics involved. Even if you're not a royalist or a monarchist (I'm neither) the show is amazingly produced and has a very strong cast. Plus the life of Lizzie does make for a good story.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in this show, but I'm also extremely, vehemently anti-monarchy. I don't think Peter Morgan is exactly the rose-tinted glasses type, but I'm interested in how critical it is. I've heard claims that the second episode has Philip calling people monkeys and making fun of tribal leaders, and my dad says that from the first episode a lot of it seems to be about how unnecessary the monarchy is, but I'd definitely like any more information.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm interested in this show, but I'm also extremely, vehemently anti-monarchy. I don't think Peter Morgan is exactly the rose-tinted glasses type, but I'm interested in how critical it is. I've heard claims that the second episode has Philip calling people monkeys and making fun of tribal leaders, and my dad says that from the first episode a lot of it seems to be about how unnecessary the monarchy is, but I'd definitely like any more information.

I watched the first two episodes. Definitely lot of the ****awesome responsibility stuff**** but it is also pretty critical of the royals, it seems to me at least.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

The series has the royals spending a lot of time in colonial Africa doing racist things.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this show is really good

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've watched up to 7 or so and yeah it's large on the 'heavy responsibility' stuff but it isn't rosy-cheeked or starry-eyed about it at all. I'm in the UK and a republican myself (note; in the UK that means you're anti- or at least critical of the existence of the monarchy, nothing to do with liberal/conservative) and it matches up with all known and uncovered history about the royal family, both good and bad. The pettiness especially is right up there and very well known, it'll be interesting how far they go if they get to the Diana years because according to all sources everything to do with that was incredibly vicious.

If I wanted to be dramatic I'd say the Crown itself is the lead character (most times in the form of Tommy) and every single other character is very much a servant to it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I dug the first episode but I'm skeptical as to the potential of later seasons, particularly post-Diana.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I don't think they have to worry about that for 3 or 4 more seasons/years which by then there will have been a cast change for most of the characters (unless they do heavy makeup) and Lizzy might have kicked the bucket and they'll have an ending.

How this season played out and being 10 episode seasons they should have enough events to cover each decade, 13 UK prime ministers since Churchill and notable characters like Thatcher and Blair or hell, even Brexit along with jubilees and other events directly related to the family.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Are the Duke of Windsor's letters to his wife real? Because wow, he pulls no punches.

oh hi drunkill

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Jared Harris so good.

Only watched two episodes but seems very well cast overall.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I feel resoundingly like a quintessential textbook American by both finding the monarchy unnecessary (good lord, that "his family is only 90 years old" line made me cringe) yet not knowing enough foreign policy or history to know for sure if anything about this is accurate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Three episodes in and I'm digging this. I still find it a little dry at times, due to not being inherently interested in the subject, but the writing/acting mostly keeps me interested, and it's pretty as hell.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
About halfway through, I'm enjoying it. I'm not entirely sure on its accuracy, especially that Elephant scene, but mostly it seems great.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
I've only seen a bit, but I appreciate the at Phillip is shown as a dingus thus far

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Can someone explain who Dickie is? I think he's an uncle but I'm not quite sure how he plays into things.

:formerkingcryingplayingbagpipes: should be the official emote of this thread

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012

Gravitee posted:

Can someone explain who Dickie is? I think he's an uncle but I'm not quite sure how he plays into things.

Prince Phillip's uncle. He wanted the royal family to take his and Phillip's surname when Phillip married old Lizzie. For vanity reasons I guess?

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Gravitee posted:

Dickie is Louis Mountbatten, Philip's uncle.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
According to that wiki article, he's related to both of them because of course he is. Everyone's related! Liz and Phillip are cousins!

I'm glad Will married outside the family and Harry is dating a non white person I guess?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Um it's like an open secret that Harry isn't Charles' son. His dad is that polo player.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I'm a sucker for pretty period dramas. Unfortunately as an American my elementary school textbooks pretty much abandon mention of British history after WWII. This is all really fun to take in even if I can't confirm its accuracy. All of the pomp and ceremony with a monarchy is completely novel to us Yanks. "Who wants transparency when you can have magic?" indeed.

I realized about 5 episodes in that Hans Zimmer did the opening theme. Speaking of which "Smoke and Mirrors" is my favorite episode so far. Edward is a dick but you feel for him towards the end. The room got dusty when he played the bagpipes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
As a longer arc 60-episode story it makes sense the Elizabeth doesn't really enforce her will on proceedings, but man there were so many times I wanted her to just step and say no, this is how it's going to be, get in line. You know, throw that Royal Authority around, and she doesn't even get to choose her own secretary. The perils of being young and female... I hope she pulls off some badass Queen moments down the line, the closest she's come so far is confronting Churchill.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

As a longer arc 60-episode story it makes sense the Elizabeth doesn't really enforce her will on proceedings, but man there were so many times I wanted her to just step and say no, this is how it's going to be, get in line. You know, throw that Royal Authority around, and she doesn't even get to choose her own secretary. The perils of being young and female... I hope she pulls off some badass Queen moments down the line, the closest she's come so far is confronting Churchill.

She changes things but it's not easily identifiable. During the first meeting with Churchill he freaks out when she offers him a chair and tea. By the end of his tenure that barrier is broken. It's not pointed out or any notice made of it. You have to look for it. The education thing is another example, her education was bizarre and poo poo, she had that practice done away with.

Queen Elizabeth doesn't have straight confrontation, she slowly twists things until it seems like it was the natural way all along. She is a really savy political figure.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
It's an interesting show because it's based in history so I know how some of the stuff is going to go (Margaret and Peter) but I'll try really hard to will it differently. I would definitely like to see more scenes of her smacking people down though. The closest we got to see was Tommy getting sort of politely told off. But even in those cases it's frustrating because people rarely even just show up and tell her no, they usually go behind her back about stuff.

I do like that they show a lot of nuance in this though. The monarchy is shown to be like, 75% ineffectual, but you feel for the characters dealing with it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Nasser hook at the end of the season was amazing, and I can't quite decide if it's supposed to be funny or fill you with dread. It almost plays out like a Marvel post-credit scene teasing the next big bad the Avengers will have to deal with.

Also real shame that when the show arrives at the Blair years, Michael Sheen will be to old to reprise the role from his other Daldry/Morgan movies.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Tolly Totes posted:

I've only seen a bit, but I appreciate the at Phillip is shown as a dingus thus far

I just finished the series and I'm kinda glad that the Royals are being portrayed as effete and mostly petulant but ultimately human. I'm an American and only know about things like the upcoming Suez Crisis through a historical lens so I can't comment on how accurate the show is. That being said, for a prestige drama this show was really well done and the music was on point. I liked the opening theme and its visuals of the spooky space crown.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Collateral posted:

Um it's like an open secret that Harry isn't Charles' son. His dad is that polo player.

Hmmm, I thought he was supposed to be the spawn of one of the bodyguards. He's definitely Charles'. Looks just like him, except with a better-proportioned face.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Harry looks more like Diana, where William is more like Charles

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm up to episode seven. All the historical events are as they happened, so far. The only thing that really bugged me was that they heavily dramatized the Great Smog to make it something it never was. Venetia's character was completely made up, of course, and Churchill didn't have a great We Shall Fight Them On The Beaches moment in a hospital to save his premiership. In fact the smog came and passed and people didn't realize what had happened until they put the numbers together and realized an awful lot of old people had died prematurely during it. The hospitals weren't overflowing with people and it wasn't "worse than the Blitz." And so, logically, there was no plan by Labour to unseat Churchill.

Another business entirely is the whole Eden thing, I am fairly sure that the internal opposition to Churchill and Eden's role in it is being exaggerated. I'm really struggling with the idea that Eden would've gone to the King to try to get rid of Churchill. Maybe someone will prove me wrong with a source though.

Some poo poo That Happened:
- Churchill did really dictate from a bath.
- George VI was operated on in the palace and they kept very quiet about the C word.
- Elizabeth "borrowed" the Imperial State Crown to practise with.
- Televising the Coronation was a Big loving Deal.
- The Duke of Windsor was an rear end in a top hat to his family and they were assholes back at him.
- Elizabeth was a mechanic during the war, although only for a few months and more as a gesture. But she apparently loves Land Rovers and tinkers on them herself. I'm now waiting for the corgi horde to appear. :3: Edit: And there they are in episode 7!

The stuff pertaining to the royals seems about right. Most of the conversations the public was obviously never privy to nor will it be, so it's impossible to say how things really went down. I suspect a lot is being laid at the feet of Tommy Lascelles (who I am enjoying as a character, definitely), making him complicit in all the less sympathetic decisions Elizabeth did regarding the Royal Family so that there's a "bad guy." Like, I'm not a royalist to any extent at all, but I personally feel like Townsend, a grown man, having a relationship with a much younger woman, whose life he has been a part of for years, is skeevy. So I enjoyed Lascelles sticking the knife in.

(That moment on the plane when Townsend broke out the "Lilibet" when addressing Elizabeth, I felt the temperature in the room drop by a few degrees. It was a well executed, tiny moment where you understand how it's never going to work.)

I'm also not buying the characterization of Philip as a great modernizing influence, but perhaps he was modern in the 1950s and just got stuck there for good.

John Lithgow is a national treasure. Claire Foy has Elizabeth II's speech pattern ("Oh? Oh.") down so pat it feels like a parody sometimes.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 18, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised even that much is true, honestly.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Only two episodes in but I'm already pleasantly surprised by the historical accuracy. Particularly how they portray Churchill as just a person of above average intellect who happened to have the right traits to lead during the war, but who was also borderline insane.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Finished the series. I haven't seen a show that attempts to stitch all of these things together (post WWII, the coronation, the 50s, the decline of Churchill, etc.). Overall I like The Crown and am looking forward to more biopics with beautiful costumes and cinematography.

The execution wasn't always perfect, like that clunky bit where Philip goes off partying while Elizabeth is all like :rolleyes: I really wanted to feel bad for Philip but I couldn't.

I got annoyed when Elizabeth slipped on her royal pronouns. Towards the end I realized that was the point. This season was the transition from shy noblewoman to Her Majesty Elizabeth Regina. The last scene where she was taking publicity photos was a perfect capsule of this season. You can tell the crown was still too heavy and the dress far too fancy, but she's transforming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This one completely slipped by me, it looks like exactly the kind of show I would love and I'm thrilled that they're looking to cover her entire life. Whether you're pro-monarchy or not, Queen Elizabeth is an absolutely fascinating figure and her longevity is astonishing.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Watched the whole series, and liked it. It's cool how it doesn't need any (unnatural) deaths, violence or barely any sex (horse or otherwise) to be engaging.

Claire Foy caught my eye years ago in Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. She isn't a terribly good actress, but serviceable enough. John Lithgow as Churchill is obviously very good, but who actually impressed me the most was Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret. Her role might look lightweight, but that girl can really act.

Overall it improved my view of the monarchy. drat they have such goddamn stupid ancient laws and church though. I would've gone full Henry VIII on that poo poo in her shoes. I like the "government for efficiency, monarchy for grace" thing, and the role of the royal family as something for the common people to look up to. So what if they need 300 million to refurnish the Buckingham palace. A republic would need to cough up all the same, but the country wouldn't end up with Donald Trump as the person to look up to.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Duke of Windsor came across quite well. Was he as articulate as portrayed, though? Everything I've read about him (which is not very much) makes him out to be a bit of an airhead.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Octy posted:

The Duke of Windsor came across quite well. Was he as articulate as portrayed, though? Everything I've read about him (which is not very much) makes him out to be a bit of an airhead.

I think that was true, and I they tried to capture that (as well as being out of time) with that brief scene where he and his wife are interviewed by a fashion magazine.

Jared Harris deserves more credit for doing a great job too.

Still, the show needs more corgis, honestly.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 23, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Only up to episode 6, but the Duke of Windsor is my favorite part of this so far (At least until the Corgis show up). The coronation playing on the tv with his reflection superimposed as he watched was a great shot. It was asked before, but I'd also like to know, were his letters real, or just dramatization?

Also, I cannot wait until I get the chance to refer to the Queen as Shirley Temple in normal conversation now. Being American, bringing it up naturally while talking with people is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Only up to episode 6, but the Duke of Windsor is my favorite part of this so far (At least until the Corgis show up). The coronation playing on the tv with his reflection superimposed as he watched was a great shot. It was asked before, but I'd also like to know, were his letters real, or just dramatization?

Also, I cannot wait until I get the chance to refer to the Queen as Shirley Temple in normal conversation now. Being American, bringing it up naturally while talking with people is going to be a bit of a challenge.

That final shot of the Duke playing the bagpipes outside after the coronation got to me in an unexpected way. :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would describe this show as pro-monarchist, given that everything is framed as "the sacrifices made for the Crown and the public" and the show shades decorum scandals as matters of life and death. It does humanize the famous players in a way I've not seen before. Churchill is typically deified in the West, his character flaws portrayed as simply adding to his irrepressible charm.

Here he is humanized as a power-hungry conservative bordering on senility, but the show simply elevates the very little that he and the royals actually do for everyone. Almost every episode centers on the monarchy as the guardians of holiest Tradition, so everything becomes nearsighted. King George's death is made insanely melodramatic, for example. Never has a vacation been more ruined. 12,000 dead of smog is an important lesson in leadership for a bunch of people who did nothing about it.

The show does take the nuanced position that, despite his obvious character failings, Edward is right to grumble about his family.

Not to say it's horrible--This is all a far cry from The King's Speech, which wraps everything in a bow, and The Crown's objective is not to moralize.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I see your point, but just because the characters act like it's all important doesn't mean the show itself believes it, I think. Could just be my bias, of course, but it felt a lot like we were meant to feel the inherent absurdity of it sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

King George's death is made insanely melodramatic, for example. Never has a vacation been more ruined. 12,000 dead of smog is an important lesson in leadership for a bunch of people who did nothing about it.

I don't think being upset at the death of your father and suddenly becoming Queen when you thought you had years left to prepare is melodramatic. That's a whole lot happening and a ruined vacation is the least of it.

The smog is, as far as I can tell looking it up, fairly accurate to history in terms of reactions, so what would you have preferred them to do? Not have it happen? Make something up about the Queen's grand environmental crusade following it?

The show is primarily about the Queen and her immediate family. It's going to be told from her perspective and based on her real life actions. Whether that is interesting to you is a personal preference, but if I wanted an objective summary of British history from the last 70 years I'd seek out a different source.

• Locked thread