Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

dont even fink about it posted:

King George's death is made insanely melodramatic, for example. Never has a vacation been more ruined.

If only we could all learn to take the death of a loved one in stride like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I hope they let the show continue into the future, with Charles being crowned King of England in a post-Brexit post-UK breakup world. If they really want to make "The Crown" the main character, it has to move to a new host before the show ends.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I hope they let the show continue into the future, with Charles being crowned King of England in a post-Brexit post-UK breakup world. If they really want to make "The Crown" the main character, it has to move to a new host before the show ends.

Charles is crowned King of the United Kingdom of Greater London and Part of Leeds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I see your point, but just because the characters act like it's all important doesn't mean the show itself believes it, I think. Could just be my bias, of course, but it felt a lot like we were meant to feel the inherent absurdity of it sometimes.

This is true. But it is a modification of the old rule: You cannot make a truly antiwar movie, nor can you make an antimonarchy movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well considering they're expecting to last 6 seasons and the Queen is 90 I don't think that scenario is unlikely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As far as I can tell, the Queen actually made a royal decree that her body (which is subject to her rule) is not allowed to die before Charles does, so that she can make William the King instead.

I watched the first episode and I dug it, Jared Harris in particular I really liked so it's a shame he's not long for the series. It's funny to me how even despite growing up during a time when smoking was commonplace, it still blows me away to see period drama where a dude who had his lung removed just casually pulls out a cigarette and lights it, and nobody present even bats an eyelid.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well considering they're expecting to last 6 seasons and the Queen is 90 I don't think that scenario is unlikely.
Castro did just die at 90...

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

As far as I can tell, the Queen actually made a royal decree that her body (which is subject to her rule) is not allowed to die before Charles does, so that she can make William the King instead.

"Brenda" is 90 now, and "Keith" is 95. Considering that "Brian" is their offspring and doesn't seem to lead a particulary unhealthy lifestyle, such a plan is unlikely to work.

quote:

I watched the first episode and I dug it, Jared Harris in particular I really liked so it's a shame he's not long for the series. It's funny to me how even despite growing up during a time when smoking was commonplace, it still blows me away to see period drama where a dude who had his lung removed just casually pulls out a cigarette and lights it, and nobody present even bats an eyelid.

Also, his mum and brother kept puffing away even though they knew about the lung cancer. I'd say that Jared Harris' performance is the highlight of the show.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There are a fair few flashbacks with George in them even after he dies, so you get to enjoy Jared Harris throughout the season.

I'm just happy that David Robert Jones from Fringe is getting good roles. :unsmith:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This show continues to grow on me. My god Stephen Dillane is just melancholy personified. It took me awhile to recognize him but that voice is unmistakable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

McNally posted:

If only we could all learn to take the death of a loved one in stride like you.

:smith:

counterfeitsaint posted:

This show continues to grow on me. My god Stephen Dillane is just melancholy personified. It took me awhile to recognize him but that voice is unmistakable.

He's one of my favorite actors, not least because of his Thomas Jefferson ins the John Adams miniseries.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The casting in this is so good. I appreciate that most of the innumerous old men parts are probably covered by known, jobbing actors but the fact they haven't used 'bigger' names for some is marvelous. If I was a coke swilling exec then ~that guy~ would be played by Jonathan Pryce, him by Jim Broadbent and that one obviously Steve Pemberton. (Probably my fault for too much genre tv generally, though I swore one face in the crowd was Kevin 'Fusco' Chapman)

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

I finished watching the first season yesterday. Great show, acting is good as well.
However, Kind George needs more of a stutter and more of a rhotacism - just nit-picking, though.

counterfeitsaint posted:

It took me awhile to recognize him but that voice is unmistakable.
Same.

Any confirmed reports of a season 2?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Valar Morghulis posted:

I finished watching the first season yesterday. Great show, acting is good as well.
However, Kind George needs more of a stutter and more of a rhotacism - just nit-picking, though.

Same.

Any confirmed reports of a season 2?

Didn't Netflix have to commit to 2 seasons to get the show or something? Also the grand plan is 6 seasons and 60 episodes. Netflix has more money than god and is willing to throw it away on Marco Polo I'm sure they'll keep making this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Valar Morghulis posted:

He stuttered slightly in the flashback from when Edward VII was about to abdicate, so at least they didn't forget about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really dug the second episode, especially the fallout from the King's death and how everybody involved handled it. The scene where Elizabeth finally gets back to the palace and finally looks at his corpse was heartbreaking. It's also really interesting seeing how the machinery of Royalty takes over in events like this.

I don't know if spoilers are really necessary or not, but doesn't hurt I guess v:shobon:v

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just finished. The look that Elizabeth gives the camera at the very end, during the photography session... there's something so chilling about it.

"All hail sage Lady,
whom a grateful Isle hath blessed.
Not moving, not breathing.
Our very own goddess.
Glorious Gloriana.
Forgetting Elizabeth Windsor now.
Now, only
Elizabeth Regina."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know they overly dramatized the Great Smog, but even so I loved watching Churchill slowly grasp how much he had hosed up and figure out how to turn everything to his advantage.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The 9th episode had a neat detail: Churchill was wearing a Siren suit while sitting for his portrait.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The soundtrack to this show is great, if a bit overused. I swear they used this same song to close fully half of their total episodes. Not that I can blame them, seeing as it's a pretty great song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpNCuMRurmc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

60 years late on this one but.... let Peter and Margaret be happy together you jerks :argh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

60 years late on this one but.... let Peter and Margaret be happy together you jerks :argh:

They tried! The series heavily dramatized that particular plot element. Here's how things actually went down, if you're interested: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38032464

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spergatory posted:

They tried! The series heavily dramatized that particular plot element. Here's how things actually went down, if you're interested: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38032464

Thanks that was a good read - one of my favorite things about this show is that after watching an episode it's great fun to rush online and read up about the real drama behind the television drama :)

What I really get a kick out of is watching this show and realizing that despite all this stuff with Townsend going down decades before I was even born, I grew up with a very vague idea of Princess Margaret being a "problem" for the Queen who frequently had to be dealt with. Crazy how deeply an idea could permeate public perception.

Edit: Goddamn, the look on Churchill's face in Episode 7 when the Queen dresses him down for hiding his strokes from her was just fantastic. Lithgow has been great.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 7, 2016

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks that was a good read - one of my favorite things about this show is that after watching an episode it's great fun to rush online and read up about the real drama behind the television drama :)

For a similar sort of thing, I enjoyed reading an interview with Martin Charteris shortly before he died. He comes across as a bit of a commoner in the show, so it was much to my surprise to learn that he was about as blue-blooded as the Royal Family. http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/7th-january-1995/14/saying-what-everyone-thinks

Happily he did become the Queen's Private Secretary in the end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I lolled every time someone talked about what a fuckup Charles was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished the series and man I am pumped for the Suez Canal mess to get covered in season 2. As previously mentioned that final shot of "Elizabeth Regina" at the end was a fantastic way to wrap things up. I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the series, and how well I felt they walked the line between making the Queen look like a hero and showcasing just how often she screwed things up.

Also loved how much emphasis was given on the way the courtiers/servants (at least the top ones) so heavily dominated the Royals and often dictated how and what they MUST say and do.

If there is any downside to the series, it's that in 2-3 seasons they'll probably have to switch up the actors playing the leads and I'd much rather they were able to keep Claire Foy and Matt Smith :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Using christmas vacation to get caught up on this. Enjoying it a lot.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I've been watching this with my iPad handy to look up stuff on Wikipedia. I just don't know what to make of the Duke of Windsor.

Antti posted:

He stuttered slightly in the flashback from when Edward VII was about to abdicate, so at least they didn't forget about it.

You can see him fight the stutter in quite a few spots, like when he's talking to Anthony Eden about giving Churchill the boot. I'm about halfway through at the moment, and Harris has been one of my favorite parts of the show.

Jerusalem posted:

If there is any downside to the series, it's that in 2-3 seasons they'll probably have to switch up the actors playing the leads and I'd much rather they were able to keep Claire Foy and Matt Smith :(

Smith has been good, but man I can't help but see his Doctor show through in parts. Probably my own fault :(

Oh, and to the person upthread asking about the Duke's letters? There was a book, so I think that's what he actually said.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

In episode 6 when they are discussing The Royal Marriages Act of 1772 what does it mean when Tommy says "disreputable jade"?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Kwatz posted:

In episode 6 when they are discussing The Royal Marriages Act of 1772 what does it mean when Tommy says "disreputable jade"?

Google tells me 'jade' is an old word for a disreputable woman. I don't remember the exact scene, but it is possible he was referring to Wallis.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

From all I've read about her, she really does seem like kind of a homewrecker, apart from, you know, being a racist and a Nazi sympathizer. It's why no matter how impartial they were about Edward and Wallis, I could never like them in The Crown. It's also why in the film W.E., I'm confused when you put that information together with what was shown and romanticized.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Back in the old days divorced women were automatically considered tramps, jades, or home-wreckers FYI.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Ah, that makes more sense. At first I thought he was saying that some 18th century prince had married an Asian woman. Which I imagine would've been incredibly scandalous at the time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kwatz posted:

Ah, that makes more sense. At first I thought he was saying that some 18th century prince had married an Asian woman. Which I imagine would've been incredibly scandalous at the time.

It wasn't an Asian woman, but there were some "scandalous" 18th century marriages. From wiki:

quote:

The Act was proposed by George III as a direct result of the marriage of his brother, Prince Henry, Duke of Cumberland and Strathearn, who in 1771 had married the commoner Anne Horton, the daughter of Simon Luttrell and the widow of Christopher Horton. Royal Assent was given to the Act on 1 April 1772, and it was only on 13 September following that the King learned that another brother, Prince William Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, had in 1766 secretly married Maria, the illegitimate daughter of Sir Edward Walpole and the widow of the 2nd Earl Waldegrave. Both alliances were considered highly unsuitable by the King, who "saw himself as having been forced to marry for purely dynastic reasons

It seems the only reason Maria was considered illegitimate was because her parents never married. And she's also something like a five time great-grandmother of Princess Diana. Also George III proposing the law as a gently caress you to his descendants is wonderfully petty.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
edit nvm too high for this

Grandma Panic! fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 22, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Binging through this now, and seeing Churchill grovel on the phone to Eden, as Eden tells him off is just perfect.

I've always been fascinated with Elizabeth II, she's lived an incredible life. Her demanding the apology from her uncle for screwing up her life by his abdication has been one of my favorite scenes.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't really like all the Margaret stuff near the end of the season.

I mean I get it, you need that family drama, but it just wasn't compelling to me, plus part of the Royal Marriages Act stuff was ahistorical.

What propelled me through those scenes was the Churchill stuff more than anything else. Especially the episode with the painter.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
As you probably know, the show won two golden globes. Claire Foy won best Actress and the show won Best Drama, beating out game of thrones, westworld and stranger things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was really pleased Foy won for Best Actress. I was genuinely shocked it won Best Drama but I do hope it generates some buzz and gets more people to watch it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I was really pleased Foy won for Best Actress. I was genuinely shocked it won Best Drama but I do hope it generates some buzz and gets more people to watch it.

Keri Russell was also nominated right? Because if so Keri Russell should've won :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

drunkill posted:

As you probably know, the show won two golden globes. Claire Foy won best Actress and the show won Best Drama, beating out game of thrones, westworld and stranger things.

Netflix executives are currently wiping several months worth of sweat from their brow, having finally at least partially justified the show's ridiculous hundred million dollar price tag.

• Locked thread