Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This one completely slipped by me, it looks like exactly the kind of show I would love and I'm thrilled that they're looking to cover her entire life. Whether you're pro-monarchy or not, Queen Elizabeth is an absolutely fascinating figure and her longevity is astonishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As far as I can tell, the Queen actually made a royal decree that her body (which is subject to her rule) is not allowed to die before Charles does, so that she can make William the King instead.

I watched the first episode and I dug it, Jared Harris in particular I really liked so it's a shame he's not long for the series. It's funny to me how even despite growing up during a time when smoking was commonplace, it still blows me away to see period drama where a dude who had his lung removed just casually pulls out a cigarette and lights it, and nobody present even bats an eyelid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really dug the second episode, especially the fallout from the King's death and how everybody involved handled it. The scene where Elizabeth finally gets back to the palace and finally looks at his corpse was heartbreaking. It's also really interesting seeing how the machinery of Royalty takes over in events like this.

I don't know if spoilers are really necessary or not, but doesn't hurt I guess v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know they overly dramatized the Great Smog, but even so I loved watching Churchill slowly grasp how much he had hosed up and figure out how to turn everything to his advantage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

60 years late on this one but.... let Peter and Margaret be happy together you jerks :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spergatory posted:

They tried! The series heavily dramatized that particular plot element. Here's how things actually went down, if you're interested: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38032464

Thanks that was a good read - one of my favorite things about this show is that after watching an episode it's great fun to rush online and read up about the real drama behind the television drama :)

What I really get a kick out of is watching this show and realizing that despite all this stuff with Townsend going down decades before I was even born, I grew up with a very vague idea of Princess Margaret being a "problem" for the Queen who frequently had to be dealt with. Crazy how deeply an idea could permeate public perception.

Edit: Goddamn, the look on Churchill's face in Episode 7 when the Queen dresses him down for hiding his strokes from her was just fantastic. Lithgow has been great.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 7, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished the series and man I am pumped for the Suez Canal mess to get covered in season 2. As previously mentioned that final shot of "Elizabeth Regina" at the end was a fantastic way to wrap things up. I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the series, and how well I felt they walked the line between making the Queen look like a hero and showcasing just how often she screwed things up.

Also loved how much emphasis was given on the way the courtiers/servants (at least the top ones) so heavily dominated the Royals and often dictated how and what they MUST say and do.

If there is any downside to the series, it's that in 2-3 seasons they'll probably have to switch up the actors playing the leads and I'd much rather they were able to keep Claire Foy and Matt Smith :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was really pleased Foy won for Best Actress. I was genuinely shocked it won Best Drama but I do hope it generates some buzz and gets more people to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know I never would have thought of Michael C Hall for JFK but it makes a weird kind of sense.

• Locked thread