Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best john lennon song
All You Need Is Love
Beautiful Boy
Cold Turkey
Free as a Bird
Give Peace a Chance
Hello, Goodbye
I Want to Hold Your Hand
Imagine
Love Me Do
Money
Nowhere Man
Revolution
Twist and Shout
Woman
Working Class Hero
View Results

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Rasta_Al posted:

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

drat rockin rear end guitar riff

Ooh, forgot that one. Good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Maybe I'm Amazed

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I don't think it makes sense to call any particular Beatles song a "John Lennon song". When you're in a band you're constantly collaborating and bouncing ideas off of bandmates and making artistic compromises in a way that usually isn't nearly as true when you're in a solo artist situation and you're incontestably the boss.

I always liked this John Lennon song though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da69-pu_pqc

But I admit it's not as good as any of the Beatles' best output and it kind of sounds like an "Imagine" rehash in certain ways.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 6, 2016

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Across the Universe is my fave

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

terminal chillness posted:

In any event it's nothing he did solo after the Beatles.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't think it makes sense to call any particular Beatles song a "John Lennon song". When you're in a band you're constantly collaborating and bouncing ideas off of bandmates and making artistic compromises in a way that usually isn't nearly as true when you're in a solo artist situation and you're incontestably the boss.

This is a very politic way of saying "whatever song Paul had the most influence over."

And I agree

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5Iz5ugY_4

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Cnut the Great posted:

i agree with you, but i was under the impression that on the white album, each member's song was like, his song and the others just did what they were told with the understanding that they'd get the same cooperation on their own songs. it was basically four solo albums smooshed together. i have no idea if this was actually true but it seems to be popular belief(?)

like i've even heard quotations from specifically Paul and John where they sound flat out contemptuous of each other's songs

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i can't hear certain McCartney songs without thinking "paul's granny poo poo" anymore lol

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

really people, your going out with imagine?

that hippy dippy horsebullshit. im dissapointed

working class hero is way realer, way more human. what the gently caress kind of weed are you even smoking

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

jealous guy is a cool one too

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
yakety sax

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

take me out to the ball game or the oscar mayer song

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln92Y3exaRs

2nd place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQK-UcRezE

neither were in the poll

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Rock Lobster

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The entirety of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
those were more experimental songs

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Schweinhund posted:

those were more experimental songs

and they're both good as gently caress

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

Cartouche posted:

Voted for "So This Is Christmas"

Voted for "Christmastime is Here Again"

O-U-T spells OUT

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Gatekeeper posted:

i agree with you, but i was under the impression that on the white album, each member's song was like, his song and the others just did what they were told with the understanding that they'd get the same cooperation on their own songs. it was basically four solo albums smooshed together. i have no idea if this was actually true but it seems to be popular belief(?)

like i've even heard quotations from specifically Paul and John where they sound flat out contemptuous of each other's songs

That may be true, I don't know. I guess I have to amend my opinion to "Unless you have a documented account of the song's creation which clearly shows everyone else had extremely minimal input all the way up to the point of recording." I guess my point is it may be common knowledge that a song was "written by John Lennon" but at some point he always had to get Paul McCartney to actually perform it with him, and who knows exactly what kind of impact that presence had on the song, especially when the band was working out the final version together on instruments. I guess if all your other bandmates were complete creative non-entities this wouldn't really apply.

Historical Wizards
Jul 3, 2016

#9 Dream

Twist and Shout was written by Phil Medley and Bert Berns, and was already a hit before the Beatles covered it
E: although the Beatles cover is probably my favorite song they've recorded

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
"Julia" not an option in the poll? smdh

voted 1, op

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
ticket to ride

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
#9 Dream and Beautiful Boy are alright IMO. I voted for the latter

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDpPX37fkU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

jack lemmon was a pretty good golfer

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think
"remember" always gets a smile out of me

and this whole thing has me looking at who did what on the white album and realizing that i would be totally content without any of the mccartney tracks existing

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Instant Karma's gonna get you.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Wonderwall

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Zorodius posted:

Wonderwall

That movie is crazy! If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! Maybe the best Lenin lyric?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Zorodius posted:

Wonderwall

In truth, Oasis was the best iteration of a "John Lennon" we could have hoped for.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlzrNKN3rZI

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh07c_P4hc

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

terminal chillness posted:

The melody of imagine is really beautiful and good. It's too bad about the lyrics.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
THe song where he overdose on heroin and shotgun himself in the face.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

choprite posted:

"remember" always gets a smile out of me

and this whole thing has me looking at who did what on the white album and realizing that i would be totally content without any of the mccartney tracks existing

I really like why don't we do it in the road and dislike revolution 9 though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's Dig A Pony, OP.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like a lot but I always had a liking of Mind Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps

A good song imo

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Back Off Boogaloo is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You hear it so much you take it for granted but jealous guy is one heck of a good ditty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzhyKn1ThpU

• Locked thread