Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
I'd like to sign up - this sounds like a lot of fun!

Gift Preferences

I enjoy board games, but had to get rid of most of mine in a recent move. I prefer games where the players work together against the game, or where players work in teams against each other. My wife and I also really enjoy playing storytelling games (e.g. Downfall). However, I'm happy to take anything you think is awesome.

Similarly, while I've never gotten into miniature gaming, I'm keen to do so (in fact, this is what lead me to lurk in TG). So anything along these lines would be welcome too.

Finally, I really, really love fantasy atlases! There's something really enjoyable about pouring over fictional maps, blueprints, history, etc.

General Location
I live in central Scotland, though work in Glasgow.

Solemn Vow
I swear, on all that is good and holy/my mother's grave that I won't grinch anyone, and instead will send someone a lovely, fun gift!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Package sent - hope my Secret Santer enjoys the odd-ball collection that is their gift!

Royal Mail promised that it would be there by this time next week, but given where it is leaving from and where it is going, I find this hard to believe...

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

The one good thing about breaking a bone in your foot is that when you stay home is that you can lay your hands on your gifts the second a postman rings.

Curiously, that was one big-rear end package. My mind instantly begins wondering just how many dongs could be stuffed in there.

The possible dong bomb is forwarded to the gift inspector who confirms my suspicions of the rattling sound the entire package makes - like it's full of legos or something.

Well, it turns out the Amazon Prime duct tape was a red herring and there's a lot of carefully hand-packed poo poo in there.

Where to even begin?

- A collection of short stories by Roger Zelazny. You can never go wrong with Zelazny!
- The Whispered World: Special Edition. This is pretty cool, I ate my teeth on adventure and IF games, but haven't been keeping track of the games the Germans keep putting out every once in a while. I vaguely remember this getting good press back in the day and the screenshots certainly look stunning. For a second I was worried this is a German language version (and my command of that language is rusty af), but rest assured, it's multilingual.
- Southern Cross, what looks like a comic about claustrophobic spaceships and weird creepy poo poo. Looks really like my jam on a skim through.
- Chimera, some small card game I haven't heard of, but have trust in the Z-Man Deluxe series. This being (it looks like) a contemporary designed game for a slightly-tweaked traditional card deck, should help rope in some family members.
- 7 Wonders: Duel, of which I heard only great things about!
- The Valmy Campaign: a Napoleonics wargame from Against the Odds magazine publishers. I usually regard such small-publisher wargames as more of collector's items than real games (and the poser art black Napoleon cover really doesn't do it a favor), but upon rummaging through the box, it actually looks somewhat neat. The production quality is quite nice for a wargame (mounted board!), there's a battle box separate from the operational map (love that gimmick/mechanic) and counter holding boxes for Friedrich-style fog of war organized in a pleasing OOB. It also contains a bonafide Leipzig postcard wargame as a bonus! And the box doubles as a counter tray!
- Last, but not least, Inspector Morse some unholy marriage of Snakes & Ladders, Cluedo and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective based on some posh murder mystery show. It's utterly terrible in all the right ways and I'm already cracking at the one-page rules that open with "the goal of the game is to win". I also appreciate that the three cases are based on particular episodes of the show, so actual Inspector Morse fans probably had the mysteries solved before they even unwrapped the game itself.

What can I say other than thanks a LOT, Santa? The whole box is not only very generous, funny and cool, but also I have to admit you've made some real good guesses as to my tastes! The cheer exceeded my expectations by a mile!

Glad that you liked (and hope that you enjoy the contents of) the grab-bag of goodies!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

And though I know it's bad to double post, I wanted to say that something interesting arrived at my flat a few days ago (apologies for the terrible picture quality):

The Muppet Pile had to inspect the gifts, especially since one of them came wrapped in Muppet paper!

And it turned out that the lovely wrapping concealed some amazing stuff (though my doggo wasn't impressed, since it didn't contain treats):

Forbidden Desert and Sushi Go were both things that my wife and I had talked about picking up, so they're great (in fact, we're already planning to play both this weekend).

But the highlight is definitely the Encyclopedia of Imaginary Places; this is exactly my sort of thing. Have been reading during my commute, and it's awesome.

So, thank you very much Santa - I really appreciate the amazing gifts!

Rid fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 11, 2016

• Locked thread