Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Oh there's a new thread. I don't know if I have any hope at all for this. It'll probably be okay though. I also probably shouldn't spend a lot of time reading up on it before it comes out, I went into the ME series cold, only being aware that Bioware did KOTOR. That will make it more of a pleasant surprise than anything.

Having said that,

Kurtofan posted:

-Goal is to allow players to try different approaches to combat without being locked in at the start

marshmallow creep posted:

[Perhaps most significantly, they have removed the class system.

Hedrigall posted:

Class system is gone

So, no making irreversible decisions? No choosing a class and sticking with it or starting over to choose a different one? (Or at least having to load an old save)

I think I know how this is going to work out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Why so serious about stealth archery

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's more Witcher 3 than Skyrim. You can respec into different builds, but you won't be able to do everything at once.

Which is something I actually like. Being able to change up playstyles over the length of a 100 hour playthrough is a welcome feature.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What was the big deal with ME3 MP? I tried it a couple of times and it was the same boring cover-shooting that the main game had: nothing I would want to play in its own right...

What was I missing?

Horde mode with different powers and builds. At the time the only other Horde Mode was Gears of War 3 but with MS3 Horde mode there was a ton of different weapons/combos/abilities to mix and match with. It was also pretty cool how new weapons/class/races kept coming out that were not just reskins of the first couple of classes. Like a Solider class between races would actually have different strength/weakness (not just abilities) that would come into play in higher level matches.

It also created great stories with a lone person making a last stand taking out the final wave and living to the extract while the rest of the party cheers him/her on.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BexGu posted:

Horde mode with different powers and builds. At the time the only other Horde Mode was Gears of War 3 but with MS3 Horde mode there was a ton of different weapons/combos/abilities to mix and match with. It was also pretty cool how new weapons/class/races kept coming out that were not just reskins of the first couple of classes. Like a Solider class between races would actually have different strength/weakness (not just abilities) that would come into play in higher level matches.

It also created great stories with a lone person making a last stand taking out the final wave and living to the extract while the rest of the party cheers him/her on.

So it was like ME3's combat with L4D's game modes?

Maybe I was too jaded because I saw the addition of MP as a waste of production resources combined with the fact that they forced you to play at least 15 hours of it to get the :turianass: best :turianass: ending in single player. Did everyone play it because it was fun enough and happened to be there, because it didn't seem to offer anything that games dedicated to multiplayer didn't already do much better.

I don't know, I feel about Bioware now like I felt about Blink 182 in college: they just didn't grow up with me and kept cranking out material for younger people.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's really fun, actually.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So it was like ME3's combat with L4D's game modes?

Maybe I was too jaded because I saw the addition of MP as a waste of production resources combined with the fact that they forced you to play at least 15 hours of it to get the :turianass: best :turianass: ending in single player. Did everyone play it because it was fun enough and happened to be there, because it didn't seem to offer anything that games dedicated to multiplayer didn't already do much better.

I don't know, I feel about Bioware now like I felt about Blink 182 in college: they just didn't grow up with me and kept cranking out material for younger people.

Well, they made updates to where you no longer needed to play to get the 3 options.

But yes, it still fun and pugs are still really easy to come by 4 years after the game came out.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I have about 160 hours in ME3 on Origin, and I know I've spent <10 of that on the single player.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The multiplayer was fun because you could play as a biotic god Volus.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Megazver posted:

It's really fun, actually.

its easily the best part of me3 (Citadel is also really good though)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I submitted an application for the multiplayer Beta

Forgot what my N7 score was and my Xbox 360 is in storage so I had to flub it and said it was 554 or something. Hope I can still get in.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

That's the best thing. It doesn't work for MP, but there's a link for the MP version.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BTW, since I haven't seen it in the thread of OP, if you go to https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative/training-hub and watch all the videos that will probable come out in the next 5 months, you can get a sweet in-game helmet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SgtSteel91 posted:

BTW, since I haven't seen it in the thread of OP, if you go to https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative/training-hub and watch all the videos that will probable come out in the next 5 months, you can get a sweet in-game helmet.

Yeah I included that link under DLC since it's for promotional DLC items.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah I included that link under DLC since it's for promotional DLC items.

Oh yeah, must have missed it. Sorry.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It's been a while since I played any ME game, but wasn't it implied that the Reapers went from galaxy to galaxy shaping the civilizations for their use? And what if the Nexus/Arks arrive just in time for the first Reaper to show up just like in ME1?

Sort of speaking-of, how are we traveling within the Andromeda galaxy? Are there Mass Relays there, and if so, wouldn't that point directly to Reaper interference?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Humerus posted:

Sort of speaking-of, how are we traveling within the Andromeda galaxy? Are there Mass Relays there, and if so, wouldn't that point directly to Reaper interference?

I am going to speculate that there the local species independently invented something almost exactly the same as a Mass Relay, for plot convenience reasons.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Doesn't sound like there are relays in Andromeda, since the trip there takes 600 years.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schubalts posted:

Doesn't sound like there are relays in Andromeda, since the trip there takes 600 years.

They meant travelling around inside Andromeda, rather than getting there in the first place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CottonWolf posted:

They meant travelling around inside Andromeda, rather than getting there in the first place.

I assume they'll just say the Ark Ships can do "jumps" across relatively small distances.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Obviously they built relays and put a big ftl engine on them, launched them at a few key spots and then the nexus ship will turn them on when it gets there.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

edit: wrong thread lmao

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 9, 2016

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SgtSteel91 posted:

Well, I submitted an application for the multiplayer Beta

Forgot what my N7 score was and my Xbox 360 is in storage so I had to flub it and said it was 554 or something. Hope I can still get in.

Grats on being in the top 0.5% of players.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

Dow Jones is at -709 in futures

This is "people lost everything and have a stone albatross of debt around their necks" level of market collapse

Welcome to the Mass Effect Andromeda thread

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Welcome to the Mass Effect Andromeda thread

actually there is a very good reason why they went to Andromeda even without reapers

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So how many times am I going to hear WE'RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET, looping in Asari language?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wookieepelt posted:

That's the best thing. It doesn't work for MP, but there's a link for the MP version.

Yeah, it seemed to work well on the PC itself, at least so far. Wish it worked over the Steam Link, though, it seems to leave the controller stuck in 'mouse' mode. :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Take me to Andromeda

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rinkles posted:

Take me to Andromeda

Let the Reapers have this planet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
america pulled the renegade interrupt

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Genophage humanity

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

They'll just have hmm... gravity well gates or something that are basically relays in all but name.

That's probably what you're kicking a rock into during that recent trailer.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Humerus posted:

It's been a while since I played any ME game, but wasn't it implied that the Reapers went from galaxy to galaxy shaping the civilizations for their use? And what if the Nexus/Arks arrive just in time for the first Reaper to show up just like in ME1?
The Reapers came from the Milky Way Galaxy and, as far as we know, have stayed there. Or maybe not! Who knows?

quote:

They seem to have picked out a patch of Andromeda that's particularly well-suited for life. If it's close enough together, regular old warp drives might work. Otherwise, yeah, just make up some excuse for having portable mass relays or wormholes or whatever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe the colonists will set up relay-like devices but only in places you have explored first.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Humerus posted:

It's mentioned a few times in the Codex, but most players probably overlook it: There is faster-than-light travel without Mass Relays. It's just a lot slower than said relays. So we will probably only travel through a small part of Andromeda, using conventional hyper drives. But it won't have a real gameplay effect, apart from leaving much more of Andromeda unexplored for ME5, ME6, etc.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Reapers came from the Milky Way Galaxy and, as far as we know, have stayed there. Or maybe not! Who knows?

The Reapers have supposedly been around for about a billion years. That's more than enough time for them to have a presence in a lot of nearby galaxies. It would be weird if their primary directive was "preserve all intelligent life...only in this galaxy though."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The Reapers have supposedly been around for about a billion years. That's more than enough time for them to have a presence in a lot of nearby galaxies. It would be weird if their primary directive was "preserve all intelligent life...only in this galaxy though."

It was a flawed AI built by a Milky Way empire. It's not inconceivable that there's a directive like "safeguard against organics-AI wars in this galaxy",or "in our (Leviathan's) sphere of influence" (which means the Milky Way again).

And Bioware would be extremely dumb if there were Reapers in Andromeda, beyond an Easter Egg or something like that. What's the point of a soft reset if you end up where you started before the reset?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

They won't be reapers, they'll be harvesters. Totally different honest!

The fan base will be fine with this just so long as one of them is a romance option.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xad posted:

I have about 160 hours in ME3 on Origin, and I know I've spent <10 of that on the single player.

Same for me. Loved the demo for the multiplayer, loved multiplayer when it came out as well.

Singleplayer I ran through once, got all the endings for a laugh, and then never touched it again.

And yeah, Classless can be good but I've never seen it done well in a Bioware game.

Edit: vvv That and I guess that one Sonic game for the DS.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What classless games have they done before? Jade Empire?