Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Torrannor posted:

It was a flawed AI built by a Milky Way empire. It's not inconceivable that there's a directive like "safeguard against organics-AI wars in this galaxy",or "in our (Leviathan's) sphere of influence" (which means the Milky Way again).

And Bioware would be extremely dumb if there were Reapers in Andromeda, beyond an Easter Egg or something like that. What's the point of a soft reset if you end up where you started before the reset?

Never underestimate the ability of a game developer to make inexplicably terrible decisions. Like, I don't think they will put Reapers in as a major plot point but I won't be surprised if they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Never underestimate the ability of a game developer to make inexplicably terrible decisions. Like, I don't think they will put Reapers in as a major plot point but I won't be surprised if they do.

Gotta be some Reaper-tech in the ship somewhere for that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what if we have a husk party member,

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Can you romance it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A love triangle between the player character, a husk and a geth.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nods to other games don't really mean they're canonically in the same universe. Devs do that poo poo all the time.

There was some posts somewhere way back when, from some developer or writer or something confirming lyrium is eezo and a quarian ship crashed on Thedas and hung around for a while. I believe the idea was they used the qunari as local intermediaries and muscle. Wish I still had it archived somewhere.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Only if the it's the geth and husk fighting for my attention

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
pre-order now for bonus Tupari vending machine squadmate !

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

pre-order now for bonus Tupari vending machine squadmate !

I want it to be a geth disguised as the vending machine so I can have geth bros.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trast posted:

I want it to be a geth disguised as the vending machine so I can have geth bros.

Geth do not intentionally infiltrate; they just really like Tupari!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
WHO THE FUCKS READY TO GO TO MARS?!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only thing that worries me about a classless skill system is that every single ability has to be balanced perfectly. Otherwise you get a 'feast or famine' effect where certain skills are always required and other ones will never be chosen.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Thor-Stryker posted:

The only thing that worries me about a classless skill system is that every single ability has to be balanced perfectly. Otherwise you get a 'feast or famine' effect where certain skills are always required and other ones will never be chosen.

I like someone with a Lucio gangtag complaining about balance and something always being needed. :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Trast posted:

I like someone with a Lucio gangtag complaining about balance and something always being needed. :v:

Shits gon git switched to my bae Sombra when she comes out.

Also, the OP really needs to update the beta-signup paragraph to note that it's for PS4/Xbox only, you cant use your PC account to get past one of the pages.

Edit: Nevermind, you have to remove the two extra spots for accounts.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

WHO THE FUCKS READY TO GO TO MARS?!

I like how people were wondering who would sign up to go to Andromeda.

Me. I would. Right now. Get me as far away from this planet as possible.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Codependent Poster posted:

:same:

I need this game now, so I can escape into a sick-nasty sci-fi future instead of this poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the expedition to Andromeda was managed by the Dynamars Corporation.

Your heavy weapons will be baconizers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Codependent Poster posted:

I like how people were wondering who would sign up to go to Andromeda.

That and the thrill of adventure/science would appeal to people even on planets not being consumed by waves of racist old people raging at the world daring to change.

I still like the "secret last ditch Reaper escape pod disguised as exploration mission" idea best, myself. Like this:

marshmallow creep posted:

I suspect the founders of the Initiative suspected or knew about Reapers but kept it from the public, lest they make everyone who doubted think the whole thing was crazy talk. So it might come up in a conversation or a codex entry.

Ryder: "You knew? You knew about the Reapers?"
Clancy Brown: "I knew Shepard from my N7 days. I trusted him. Garson trusted him too."
Ryder: "But we could have stayed! We could have fought!"
Clancy Brown: "And we would have lost! This was the only real choice."
Ryder: "Then why not tell everyone the truth?"
Clancy Brown: "You just said it yourself. They would have stayed to fight. And every sapient species in the galaxy would have been lost forever."

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 9, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I played ME3 again some last night and this morning, and I found myself getting bored again as soon as I got to the Citadel for the first time.

At this point I should just accept I'm never actually going to finish the game and go watchvideos for all the DLC or something. I don't know what it is about that game that fails to attach to me, in theory it's everything I want, and I totally devoured ME and ME2.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
there are good parts to me3 sp, but overall its flat and by the numbers

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I still haven't gotten around to playing the Citadel DLC (or any other ME3 DLC, but Citadel is apparently the only one worth caring about). I'm pretty sure my saves are still around on some EA cloud server and I could jump right into the DLC, but :effort:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
ME1 has this very relaxed pace that lets you explore at your own leisure. It's weirdly a very quiet game -- if you're cruising in a planet on the Mako often all you'll hear is the wind and your engine.

ME2 hauls off like a freight train immediately and keeps throwing you in these sharp, lean half-hour missions. It's kind of like an action TV show.

ME3, I dunno, it's kind of weirdly-paced. there is a lot of theoretical urgency undercut by your ability to tool around the galaxy. like you can straight up leave the Tuchanka and Rannoch systems during their respective arcs and come back

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

I still haven't gotten around to playing the Citadel DLC (or any other ME3 DLC, but Citadel is apparently the only one worth caring about). I'm pretty sure my saves are still around on some EA cloud server and I could jump right into the DLC, but :effort:

Citadel is the best mass effect sp content in the series IMO

and this is coming from someone who kinda thinks most of 3 is poo poo

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

ME3, I dunno, it's kind of weirdly-paced. there is a lot of theoretical urgency undercut by your ability to tool around the galaxy. like you can straight up leave the Tuchanka and Rannoch systems during their respective arcs and come back

ME3 is a good example of why ticking clocks are a bad idea in big RPGs. Either you make the timer real and it pisses people off because they feel like they're under constant pressure, or you fake it and totally monkey-wrench your narrative tension. Fallout 1 is maybe the only game I can think of that managed to thread the needle with the gimmick.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

I played ME3 again some last night and this morning, and I found myself getting bored again as soon as I got to the Citadel for the first time.

At this point I should just accept I'm never actually going to finish the game and go watchvideos for all the DLC or something. I don't know what it is about that game that fails to attach to me, in theory it's everything I want, and I totally devoured ME and ME2.
If you haven't at least made it through Tuchanka, try and suffer enough to get there. It's pretty good and has a nice :black101: moment. Also a very :cry: moment too. And yeah, Citadel is awesome. But if you just can't stomach it I'm sure all the relevant stuff is on YT somewhere.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

Good Parts for those just joining us:
Citadel DLC (Lighter atmosphere, good fights, lots fo nods to fans)
Krogan Storyline
Getting to call the Quarians loving assholes
N7 Hoodie for your Shepard
Vega turns out to be a decent character
Shootin' bottles on the Citadel
Thane gets to go out like a badass
Traynor and the importance of dental hygene
Javik

Bad Parts:
Pretty much everything else

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you haven't at least made it through Tuchanka, try and suffer enough to get there. It's pretty good and has a nice :black101: moment. Also a very :cry: moment too. And yeah, Citadel is awesome. But if you just can't stomach it I'm sure all the relevant stuff is on YT somewhere.

I made it there once, and to some sort of chase sequenceo n the Citadel I can't really recall the context or events of, but no further

Like all the story stuff is nice and good but the game itself just... i dunno man, I don't even really understand why it bores me so much so quickly every time :(

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Trast posted:

Good Parts for those just joining us:
Citadel DLC (Lighter atmosphere, good fights, lots fo nods to fans)
Krogan Storyline
Getting to call the Quarians loving assholes
N7 Hoodie for your Shepard
Vega turns out to be a decent character
Shootin' bottles on the Citadel
Thane gets to go out like a badass
Traynor and the importance of dental hygene
Javik

Bad Parts:
Pretty much everything else

I actually enjoyed the end of Legion's storyline. Gave me the feels.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Trast posted:

My greatest shame in ME3 is in over 1000 games of multiplayer I never once unlocked the Saber. :smith:

It was pretty amusing to taunt you about it though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

ME3 is 90% an extremely good game, hampered by being almost unbelievably easy, especially once you play any of the multiplayer.

"Shepard! It's a Banshee! Oh my God! ONE loving BANSHEEEEEE!"

e: And if you don't care about the story stuff in Citadel, it's also worth it for the Battle Arena because it's basically intense solo MP mode

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you haven't at least made it through Tuchanka, try and suffer enough to get there. It's pretty good and has a nice :black101: moment

That :black101: moment is one of the best overall moments in the series.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This guy will make a great game, I bet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

Look, the French just have a weird sense of humor.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

That guy is a total tool, a massive SJW and racist.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mr Beens posted:

OutKast is pretty great though?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/09/new-mass-effect-andromeda-screenshots.aspx

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I made it there once, and to some sort of chase sequenceo n the Citadel I can't really recall the context or events of, but no further

Like all the story stuff is nice and good but the game itself just... i dunno man, I don't even really understand why it bores me so much so quickly every time :(

it might have something to do with the combat encounters actually being really boring

Literally ever mission is; start at X point, fight your way down a linear path to X ending, then you leave.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Thor-Stryker posted:

It'll just be a bunch of talent trees that require heavy investment to get into the good poo poo unless they have, after I dunno 16? years of people playing talent-tree based games not realized they shouldn't put all the good poo poo at the very start so you can pick and choose what you want and get the class-defining skills for minimal effort.

Mr Beens posted:

How can you be a massive SJW and a racist at the same time unless you're using those labels wrong

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Eej posted:

How can you be a massive SJW and a racist at the same time unless you're using those labels wrong

maybe he's a sick jacket wizard

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Wasn't he the guy that said a bunch of bad poo poo about the Deus ex devs for whatever reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Regardless, he is a gameplay designer, not someone involved in narrative. His opinions are divorced from his ability to code, so Jack is just trying to stir poo poo up.