Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
anyway, one of the better ideas DA2 had (the first act is just doing whatever necessary to get money to do [thing]) was stolen entirely from BG2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Ash of Gods is so similar to Banner Saga it's surprising they aren't being sued. The art style themes and plot structure are practically identical.

I swear their characters even match up, vaguely or otherwise, based on some screenshots I've seen.

I imagine it falls into that grey area where overwhelmingly obvious 'influence' and 'inspiration' doesn't quite hit copyright infringement as they haven't used any assets or whatever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Anthem might find some measure of success if only because destiny 2 on PC is such a horrible shitshow and shows no sign of improving

But only might

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Is the situation particularly bad on PC?

check out the destiny 2 PC thread or maybe ABGD can lay down some particulars

But yeah, it's real bad

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

So there's an Anthem trailer out. It looks, uh, Destiny 'influenced' as far as world goes.

Facebook comments all seemed very negative.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

well, drat, this might be the first rear end creed game i've bought since one of the ones with ezio

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hard counter posted:

Apparently in a recent interview Casey Hudson has implied that there will be more Mass Effects in Bioware's future.

It's not over yet boyos.

"If you let Anthem kill us, you'll be killing these future babies!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It is time for the mass effects, to end.

Casey Hudson, being fried by Advent Lightning: "I can save the one you love! You must choose!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like I'm on crazy pills when anyone calls TLJ "subversive" when everything about it just cynically and pointlessly resets the entire setup to rebels vs. empire unto eternity, because that's the only story Star Wars knows how to tell. Don't you idiots understand, NOTHING has changed! NOTHING has been accomplished in this movie's 5 1/2 hour runtime! Wake up sheeple!!

Amazing. Every word of what you just said... is wrong. :smug: :smugdog: :smuggo: :smugbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

orange juche posted:

it really was a stealth "don't blame us that andromeda is poo poo" from bioware, their internal testers played it before the demo was released and were like gently caress we need a trailer song that subconsciously provides an excuse for why this game is poo poo

what is anthem's trailer music? i haven't paid attention lol

Muse.

Yes, really.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Perhaps we live in the universe where Anthem is a smash hit but Bioware closes anyway :madmax:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Story-wise, probably none of it. Especially when the base premise is "we shot a bunch of Dreadnought-sized ships blindly at another galaxy with six-hundred-year-old data, never stopping to gather new sensor data once we approached, or reached, Andromeda. Who could've guessed things might change in that time?!"

*swirls wine about in an immaculate crystal glass* i remember when i was probated for pointing out how dumb that was because someone said it was no different to going to the moon. ah, memories.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

In early interviews for Andromeda they made all this hullabaloo about how this time, it's humanity who are the invaders, which had some potentially interesting themes centered around colonization and the ethics of contaminating a new galaxy with alien life. But that amounted to absolutely nothing, Fuckboy Ryder and his crew of memes hop around planets hitting the Make Everything Betterer switch, good thing we found this dude from another galaxy who could fix all our problems thanks to a really advanced ipod.

"i'm going to gently caress your [franchise] up" -- ryder, mass effect 4: andromeda

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generational ships are a bad, bad idea and will never end well. Inbreeding is actually the least of such a ship's worries, because by the end you'll have lost almost all the important knowledge necessary for setting up a colony planetside at the end of the trip and just plain have a whole bunch of people who've never known anything except said ship and a spinning FTL vortex surrounding it. That's not discounting the potential breakdown into tribal factions, religions, or just plain fatal malfunctions from 600 years of constant living with no means of obtaining critical replacement parts. Especially if it's "only" a fraction of the crew, because now you've got a couple thousand people at the mercy of said inbred descendants either worshiping the cryo-pods or destroying them for fun because they don't know what they are.

look i'll take tribal religious fatal malfunction cryo worshippers over what we got so you're not exactly selling me on how bad it is here

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It also makes one wonder why they needed the Citadel trap when the Reapers could've just caught everyone with their pants down anyway.

The implication, of course, is that the Reapers weren't as god-like as they claimed and required the Citadel trap, that there was something bad about slowboating in from dark space.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The Citadel funnels every iteration of civilization into a pattern that's easy for the Reapers to exploit.

Why do they need to do this?

Remember, the Reapers operate on an exacting timeframe.

(Besides, the Mass Relays are what funnel civilization into a pattern, not the Citadel)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

like no one just sets up such an elaborate trap and plan 'just because', and immortal god-battleships don't really need to care about 'easy'

more to the point, ME1 suggests that the reapers harvest at an optimal time to receive enhancements. technology and resources. like a profit/risk margin. hence the need for the citadel.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mass Effect 3 should've ended on Shepard looking at the camera and saying "Now that was a mass... effect."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

yeah but that sucks, not like my idea which is good

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

My post history itt is like what Shepard must have felt trying to warn the Council about the Reapers for two years.

i get to be garrus then

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BexGu posted:

Ashley doesn't hate alien species she just thinks they will gently caress over humanity to save themselves.

Which, funnily enough, they all do.

Ashley is a racist is a bad meme.

Also, humanity is the dog in her analogy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Doesn't the game end with all of the council species agreeing to pool their forces and save earth

out of self interest, sure, but they agree to put themselves out there to stop earth from falling

Only because you help them first.

The series validates Ashley's views.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The aliens are the dog in her analogy, since Shep is not an alien. She then justifies comparing other sapient life forms to an animal by asserting "they all do the same," something objectively disproven multiple times throughout the series.

Sorry your spaceGF is a spaceracist. :shrug:

No. She's clearly using 'human' as a synonym for 'person', not human as in a member of the human species/political group.

Ashley's point is 'those in power will sacrifice their servants to save themselves'. Which, crazily enough, the Council has a history of doing prior to the events of ME1. ME1 happens and, funnily enough, short of Anderson taking matters into his own hands because the Council threw Shepard to the proverbial bear over the risk of 'war with the Terminus', Saren would've prevailed. Then everyone does it to Shepard in ME2 for reasons of political convenience, leading to the bizarre situation where only Cerberus is willing to do anything. Then in ME3, every other species only deigns to help you because you resolve some kind of bullshit for them first. Ashley's point is that if push came to shove, the Council would throw humanity to the proverbial bear. I'd be interested in seeing whatever it is you think disproves Ashley's stance because, short of the actions of Shepard the Demigod Themself, the three games are all about people stabbing each other in the back in the name of the advancement of their own personal/species/group goals.

This is extremely basic reading comprehension, fellas. Even Shamus Young understood this part of Mass Effect.

People are very uncomfortable with the idea that they might be sacrificed to save someone else's skin -- that they are the dog and not the human -- so they decide to claim that Ashley is a racist and that class-based power imbalances don't exist. You would think people who complain that humanity was no longer an underdog in ME2 and 3 compared to the entire Citadel group would be able to connect the dots a bit better but, well...

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 22, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Of course, on reflection, Shepard does it themselves, too. With the Batarians being the dog, Shepard the human, and blowing up a Mass Relay.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hanar are big jellyfish and Keepers are big bugs

But one is sapient with their own culture and religion and stuff and the other are mindless drones

that line was supposed to play when you examine a keeper, but it's bugged

given the response to ashley though you can see why bioware gave up attempting complex nuance and basically rendered all characters in ME and Dragon Age down to one-note best friend simulators

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

remember how ashley implies that her grandfather's life and career were destroyed and no one cares in Yet Another Example of throwing the dog at the bear

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes I remember that all the Quarians are canonically dead thanks to catastrophic badgame failure, and I smile.

Not just the quarians, but the elcor and hanar, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

Remember how the Quarian Arc was teased as DLC, but Andromeda killed Mass Effect so it got demoted to a tie in book?

Well it was released in November, and I found a summary of it. And... well...

Our story opens up to a random techie running patches on the Keeyah' Si'yah in Sigurd's Cradle right before its launch. He gives us his life story and begins talking about the time he's recently spent in a nearby spacestation housing all the workers. Apparently him a couple others have been assigned these little odd jobs to modify code in the cryo-bays of the Ark by a mysterious benefactor. He does so, gets his money and gets his head blown off right after in the dark.

Now the story turns to Sleepwalker Team Blue-7 as they awake 30 years ahead of their assigned arrival to the Nexus - Sleepwalkers being teams assigned to checking on the Ark's status, running cryopod maintenance, etc - where we get introduced to our main cast: a quarian techie*, an elcor family physician, the closest thing Khar'shan has to a batarian soccer mom, a volus tailor, a drell detective, and a hanar priest who are all ordered to get up cause something is wrong on the ship. As we progress through the story we find out really quickly that none of these guys are what they claim to be, all of them had very LogicalPremise-based backgrounds (former sex(?) slaves, assassin's/ child-murderers, a walking warcrime, the child of an infamous terrorist, etc). These guys are deployed to the drell section of the Ark because the Ark's VI, K, has detected some irregularities over there and come to discover that hundreds of the drell have mysteriously died in their sleep. So they take out a few bodies to run an autopsy on them in the local medbay. Come to figure, K's malfunctioning - she can't see any changes in the cryopods even after their reported dead, can't notice any changes in the environment, and has no control over the power functions. Eventually this turns to control of trams, communications, and eventually the disabling of the Ark's kinetic barriers... while its in mid-transit. `:eek:

More and more bodies start piling up in the drell section, then come to find out, the hanar section begins suffering irregularities. A hanar body ends up in medbay with completely different symptoms to the drell. The medbay is quarantined and with it, the elcor and hanar sleepwalkers, as they now assuming their dealing with a lethal cross-species pathogen. The others rush to figure out what or who is the cause of these sudden medical cases - using her perfect memory and superior eyesight the drell sleepwalker eventually identities what can only be seen as literal shadows in the security cam footage of every Sleepwalker cycle: someone has been exploiting blindspots in the security system. Blue-7 acquires supplies to run in-depth tests for the medbay. Aware that poo poo's getting out of hand, the quarian sleepwalker orders for the Ark's Captain to be awoken so they come up with a better plan. Suddenly a batarian appears with "explosive" symptons and gets thrown into containment. The Drell and the Elcor sleepworkers put the pieces together and discover that the symptoms fit the description of a volus-specific flu... something that the Volus Sleepwalker knew but wasn't inclined to share. The Ark's Captain arrives just in time to order to give out orders: get the ship's shields fixed first, then figure out what's going on. The Drell and Volus sleepwalker leave to assemble hazmat suits, and only to find themselves ambushed by unknown assailants in the cargo bay. Characters note that the temperature average of environmental systems is increasing.

Now we get to see more things from the eyes of the Quarian Sleepwalker, he sneaks off to talk to a confidant of his, apparently he's been a very naughty boy and hiding poo poo from the Ark and the Migrant Fleet for decades now - his 900-year old quarian grandmother, a veteran of the Morning War. He believe's she is the only one who can figure things out on the Ark. Which is where the twist comes in: she's an Ancestor VI (turns out they're nothing to gently caress with. The Geth destroyed the Ancestor Databanks because the Ancestors, if they had ever been given the chance to be augmented, would have otherwise hosed them up and brought the Morning War to an end). She quickly points out that all the recent events are no coincidence, they're examples of causation and correctly predicts which Ark systems will go down soon while she develops a solution to counter what she deduces to be a virus infecting K. In the medbay, the Elcor and Hanar watch as their previous batarian patient slowly melts away before their eyes, turns rabid, and dies.

Back in the cargo bay, the Volus and Drell sleepwalkers have been fighting for hours against a horde of Ark members, now including Elcor, who've lost their minds. They escape, they come across the shitshow that is spreading across the Ark - everyone is waking up and not only have the elcor been infected, the Volus have too and everyone is losing their poo poo and hungry `:confused:. This leaves only the Quarians as uninfected. When they finally get back to the medbay, they find that quarantine has been breached and the hanar sleepwalker is nowhere to be found.

The Elcor Sleepwalker, now saying, and having fully mapped the genome of the viruses that infected multiple races comes to the conclusion that it was a bioweapon which he dubs "Fortinbras" (The reader gets a lesson in virology at this point). It's designed to be a literal galaxy-wiping plague that will immediately adapt and infect any host that isn't fortunate enough to be wearing an environmental suit 24/7. The only possible antidote to Fortinbras is theorized by the Elcor Sleepwalker to be an equally rapidly mutating virus (trade one monster for another), and the only way of doing so in the short-term, before everyone dies of the virus itself is to force the counter-viruses evolution... like exposing it to gently caress-tons of eezo. At this point, Quarians are starting to show signs of infection.

The Batarian and Drell Sleepwalker are thus sent to retrieve a container of Red Sand that the Batarian Sleepwalker smuggled in, only to find that the Hanar Sleepwalker there... high as a kite. Pieces get put together, apparently many Hanar abroad the Ark are part of a doomsday cult, including our little Sleepwalker friend here who came to a similar conclusion as the Elcor and intentionally breached the quarantine to do his thing. Meanwhile, the Quarian Sleepwalker is augmenting the Ancestor VI with every scrap of tech available. He is forced to reveal it's existence to the Ark's Captain who orders him to space the thing, as possession of an Ancestor VI is the greatest crime of the Quarian people. He says gently caress that and uploads his Grandmother into the Ark's datacore where it takes over the virus and K and restores some of the critical systems.

Everyone is fighting on the Ark for whatever scraps of resources they can get their hands on. Blue-7 makes their final report to the Captain, who on the PA, orders all the crazed members to get to the medbay to receive their second (and hopefully last) supervirus... except that's cure has been developed yet and the Elcor is on death throes. She orders the remainder of Blue-7 to standby as she goes to Engineering to find eezo for the cure.

The drell sleepwalker, being suspicious of her demeanor and the way some Quarians were acting, follows the Ark Captain as she goes the complete opposite way of Engineering. She meets with another a different Quarian Sleepwalker where its revealed that they both deployed the viruses. `:eek: Forced into a corner, and knowing that she doesn't stand a chance against a former assassin and has exposed herself before her ex- boyfriend (who is Blue-7's Quarian Sleepwalker), she spills everything. Turns out the shadows seen in the security footage were actually her just taking advantage of the camera's blindspots. As revealed in previous flashbacks with the Quarian Sleepwalker sprinkled throughout the book, the Ark's Captain had done her pilgrimage on a scientific outpost. After years of bullying, anti-Quarian resentment, and a traumatic event that scarred her perception of Council races forever, she thought of getting back at those who caused her so much harm and went through it by studying molecular biology and quietly storing her resentment. When she was invited by the Initiative to Andromeda, she thought that it would be done so as equals - only to find out that the Nexus would be another Citadel with its Council and the politics that came with. So she said gently caress it, developed a bioweapon that the Drell would carry with them to Andromeda and when they came abroad the Nexus the leadership of every Council member (Humans, Turians, Salarians, and Asari) would be exposed, with most of the them certain to die. From there, the plan was for the Keelah Si'yah's parties, with their superior numbers, labor, and leadership ability would be seated along side the Nexus Council as equals - influencing policy and leaving no one behind. Unfortunately, her Quarian Sleepwalker/Co-conspirator had hosed up the procedure, left the virus in conditions that allowed it to rapidly mutate, deployed the virus to a drell sleepwalker's (that he was trying to bang but turned out to be married) pod who exposed the other sleepwalkers to it and who in turn, exposed the entire ship. In the meanwhile, his computer virus was too good at its job and began infecting the entire Ark, causing all kinds of malfunctions as it attempted to hide the presence of the biological weapon's deployment.

Knowing how royally hosed the situation is, Blue-7 makes their verdict. The Elcor Sleepwalker dies. The Volus Sleepwaker I think dies too. The Ancestor VI is terminated. They space the Ark Captain's Co-Conspirator, inject her with the experimental supervirus (I guess they tore apart the Hanar Sleepwalker and used his eezo-laced blood for the evolutionary cycles), strip her naked and have her walk through the entire Ark forcing her to touch each and every infected crewmember (and some of them had their own piece to share I guess) before tossing her into the Volus' habitat unit where of course she dies.

Knowing that was all they could do (every other Sleepwalker besides the remaining three members of Blue-7 is dead), they jump back into cryo... just right before they receive a message from the Nexus.

The end.

tldr: exquisite tea was right, the Quarians really did die on their way to Andromeda

lmfao

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The main plot of 2 makes sense.

Much like how some of these people insisted that the Mass Effect series was always as horrible as Andromeda, people think that ME2's plot was always total nonsense when it only became so with the advent of the third game.

Anthem is an amazing failure and it's kind of sad that the OP of that thread is being paid by Bioware.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

I've been calling it Mass Effect 76

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

the anthem thread is such a sad place