Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I'm split about what they've released so far - there's a lot of good stuff in the bullet points, but I think all the trailers they've put out have been really.. underwhelming?

Also, "Peebee" already reeks of Bioware trying way too hard to create a "quirky-funny" character. Hope I'm wrong on that count, but she seems custom-made for the random humor crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

I love how the whole preamble was lowering expectations - "Making games is really hard, you guys."

Also, the faces looked weird for a reason I can't quite describe.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Lemming posted:

They don't know how to do lip synching and they never have

Beyond that, though - they kinda looked like cartoons

midwat
May 6, 2007

BexGu posted:

I have never played any of the Dragon Age series, is that good or bad? I really have no idea.

The reaction to DA:I was basically a giant shrug, so... both?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

They look like something from SWTOR.

The cutscene looked a lot like SWTOR to me, too, which seems like a very weird direction to go.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Moola posted:

me3 apologists are the worst

Wanting a good ending is so bourgeois, don't you know

midwat
May 6, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I still love people talking about how ME3 "destroyed the franchise" as if that were a bug, and not a feature

Ah yes, the weird interpretation that the writers wanted to make a terrible ending so no one would make a terrible sequel.

Makes about as much sense as "we have to kill organics so synthetics won't."

midwat
May 6, 2007

comatose posted:

I like your posts and I think you're right in that you think ME3 is a giant pile of poo poo and then you go and say citadel is bad and I just get all confused.

I like Citadel but it does suffer from a lot of the same problems as ME3 ("why am I doing anything non-essential when millions are dying on Earth each day?"). Its saving grace is that its nonsense is of the feel-good, comfort food variety.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Citadel is not meant to take place during the main story. I'm pretty sure that either during ME2 or ME3, Bioware said that DLC could not take place after the main quest due to publisher mandate.

It's the same as Arrival in ME2. Remember, you could do Arrival at any point post Horizon despite the fact it would make zero sense to transpire then.

Well, hope this helps.

Then I guess the issue would be that there isn't a logical time when it could happen.

Again, I do think it's a fun romp, but I could see how someone might be turned off by it.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Yes there is. After the game. You pick Destroy, skip through all the cutscenes, then you load the game pre-Earth and play Citadel.

Wish I could do this. I really do.

Man, if Clone Shepard had waited, like, a week, he could've shown up and everybody would've been cool about it.

Scherloch posted:

Well, yes, obviously, but blaming tumblr for stuff is pretty much synonymous with blaming SJW cucks at this point, so that's how it's going to read to a lot of people. hth

Is it not common knowledge that tumblr sucks? The day we can't blame it for poo poo is the day the terrorists win.

midwat fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 5, 2016

midwat
May 6, 2007

Man, the character faces look janky as gently caress.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Something about male Ryder's default model bugs me, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. Maybe it's just that he's not dude Shep. In ME 1, Mark Vanderloo's face gave the default Shepard a huge leg up on anything you were likely to spit out with the character creator, and now in ME:A that contrast in lacking. I dunno, Ryder just looks kinda milquetoast.

Male Ryder looks like he should be lead in a CW show.

Woman Ryder looks like a muppet.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Holy hell.

I want to believe this game will be good, but Bioware is actively trying to disabuse me of that notion.

midwat
May 6, 2007

nerdz posted:

I still can't buy the thing about dad Ryder being the best soldier, scientist and explorer ever and just loving amazing at everything he does.

gently caress, I want him to be the main character

But then how would your character have daddy issues?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

This thread has now convinced me that this game is going to suck.
Quality animation never looks goofy paus-

Oh.

You're absolutely right! There are no, say, gifs of this game's animation looking terrible in motion. None at all.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Andromeda was an epic achievement in blandness. The only things at all interesting about it were the hosed-up animations and the fact that it killed the franchise. Calling its characters flat would be a compliment - it would imply there was anything to them at all - and its story had, at most, one decent reveal (the writers do nothing to develop it, of course).

midwat
May 6, 2007

The decision to only have two new alien species is baffling, and hamstrings the game from the beginning. If there's more, you have options: two species could react to the Kett invasion differently, and there are stories in that. They could have differing opinions on yoomanity's arrival. They could be at war with each other, or function symbiotically. A whole range of possibilities would open up with the addition of just one more species.

Instead, we have the good alien species and the bad one, and nothing that takes place over the course of the game changes that. That might not even be so bad, but the game hangs its entire story on that conflict, and it isn't enough to sustain an open-world RPG.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Get that Anthem av ASAP.

A Destiny av is already an Anthem av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Saw a Bioware devs leaving story today.

Before, I didn't want people to leave Bioware because it would make the company worse.

Now, I don't want them to leave because I feel the contagion should be contained.