Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
it's a race of geodudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is any of the ME3 DLC actually worth it? About to start my replay of that but I haven't touched it since release.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Zzulu posted:

i hope they add sweat glands in me4 so i can bathe in my waifus sweat,

not gonna lie i loving laughed at the dumb reference to tali sweat in the citadel DLC

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just finished ME3 for the first time since release. The combat was good enough to make up for the dumb plot points. It got especially hilarious with the N7 Lancer + mag capacity and James' inferno ammo with explosions. Warp explode brutes 24/7. If andromeda can keep it that fun, I'll play it for that.

Whoever had the idea for kai leng though, what the gently caress. He's as embarrassing as benezia's voice acting in ME1.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
When I replayed ME2 on xbone once I got access to the galaxy map I just put on a podcast and scanned all the rich planets until I had 300k of each resource.

I'm not sure why the gently caress ME3 kept scanning, it felt so stupidly out of place. At least they dropped the hacking/bypassing minigames.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Grissom is the only actual mission that gets failed, the rest are just fetch quests related to planet scanning or picking up stuff during other missions. If you like jack, reload and do grissom. The only real loss is war assets and some conversation (moreso with citadel DLC).

Rule of thumb for ME3 is do as many sidemissions as you can before completing the next priority mission. The exception are any N7 cerberus missions which do not expire.

I beat ME3 on insanity today and I was a bit underwhelmed. They really dialed back the difficulty from ME2, I used James/Liara and spec'd energy drain as my bonus power and it was almost stupidly easy. Didn't even die once in the last earth section.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 29, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Drifter posted:

I played all three games back to back starting a few months ago, and combat in 2 and 3 is so much better than in 1. Also, not having to loving sell all those loving lame-rear end inventory items was amazing.

The change from 1 to 2 is insane back to back. Every single aspect of combat feels better. Movement, cover, weapons, powers.

ME3 wasn't quite the leap from 1-2, but it was still a nice evolution. The reaper enemies were especially fun to fight lategame when they threw everything at you. ME3 gets rightly poo poo on for the story but it's 5 years old now and the combat still holds up.

I'm playing through the series for the first time as a vanguard. In ME1 it feels similar to any other class - a bunch of powers to spam and a weapon specific power that does extra damage. Then ME2 gives you charge and completely changes how that class plays. Right off the bat you need to be super aggressive and use your shotgun, unlike ME1 when you're too fraglie to close in on most enemies. Maxed heavy charge against unshielded enemies is loving hilarious. I've never done sentinel or engineer in 2/3, but infiltrator, adept and soldier were all fun in their own way.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kurieg posted:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Combos

Thankfully, more obsessive people than you have already done the legwork. And if you bring along friends that set people on fire you can make your enemies explode into bloody giblets.

Adept with james+squad explosive ammo and liara is loving hilarious. Shoot with AR to set them on fire, hit with warp, hit with carnage, hit with second warp, then repeat. By the time your bullets set them on fire again, powers are usually recharged. The time to kill on brutes is ridiculous on insanity.

I really liked how ME3 just went hogwild with combos and powers. "I am a biotic god" indeed.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Really kinda regret only playing MP at release, sounds like it got way better. I remember it was fun but stopped playing shortly after beating the game.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
"It’s a shame Bioware thinks that they need to do this to keep feminists happy."

it's about ethics in videogame face modelling

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The best music in ME3 was when they played the ME1 title theme :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

PureRok posted:

I only watched the first few seconds of the video, and that's all I needed:

when the game mirrors your reaction to it

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
ME1 weapon management was pain in the rear end. It got really annoying trying to keep everyone supplied with good weapons. It's one of those things I'd rather not even have to deal with.

But I am still worried about them taking away the ability to call up squadmate powers. That was the best part of ME3, setting up completely insane nonstop explosions.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SgtSteel91 posted:

I guess the reasoning is "I want my PC to look pretty and use cool weapons, but I takes too long to do that for my whole party."

Edit:

I bet that they will automatically use detonation powers when you prime an enemy and then have them target the guy (if it isn't recharging).

There was one video where the PC use singularity on a group, had the squad target them, and Cora automatically use Charge to detonate it.

Guess it'll cut down people on consoles pausing to have companions use powers.

Will they prime so the player can detonate stuff though? That's half the fun playing a vanguard.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
At this point combat is the only thing that will get me to buy MEA. Curious to see what people think of the early access MP.

Also been loving around in ME2 recently, and despite the facial animations being not good, they don't stand out nearly as much as ME:A. It's all I can see in every video.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Even ME2s soldier build is way more fun than any ME1 class. Combat was pretty much a complete overhaul of everything for ME2. ME2/ME3 combat still holds up as some of the best shooter gameplay to this day IMO. Only thing more fun for me was DOOM.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone else have issues reading the loving text on console? Everything is tiny on my 42" and the text blends horribly in the background.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mymla posted:

Doom is one of my favorite games ever, and that was wall to wall nearly identical encounters.

For real, after mass effect 3, you should not go into a mass effect game expecting a Good RPG. You should go into it expecting a Good Third Person Shooter. And from what I can tell, it is.

I enjoyed ME3 way more when I went back and replayed and ignored the story. Combat in that game was real good. Andromeda seems OK so far.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Unless there is a heavy rear end pistol you will never have a reason to roll with just a pistol. I have the starting pistol and a researched AR and I'm still under the weight limit. No bonus for being underweight anymore.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The UI in general is baaaad. I played four hours of SP before realizing how the gently caress to see the non active quests. Who designs a menu where the default is drilled down and you have to press to see the list? It is crazy counter intuitive.

It doesn't help that Xbox one has tiny unreadable text either.

That said, I finished off the last 3 hours in MP. I had lots of fun as a sentinel with a shotgun and half decent teammates. I bought it :shrug:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
She can die in the horizon mission when she confronts her dad.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GET MY BELT SON posted:

i simply cannot beat the architect

it just fucks me up every time

What difficulty? I find them easy on normal, they're just loving tedious. It would be cool if you fought just one, but even the second one was annoying. The one on voeld was a little tricky because of life support.

I just use a high damage output sniper rifle and tech explosion the weak points. They have 3 basic attacks. The main beam (red aura) which gives you plenty of warning and can be escaped with a dodge->jump->dodge combo. The bombs you just need to get away from. You need to take cover from the cannon though, so never get too out in the open. When it spawns enemies kill them first, it seems to attack a lot less with them on the field.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Drifter posted:

Oh you stupid loving pieces of poo poo, Bioware. Not letting me save on these dumb loving priority missions just means I have to replay up to 20 or 30 loving minutes for no goddamn reason of this goddamn poo poo.

You goddamn motherfuckers. You wanna do that on Insanity difficulty, fine whatever gently caress you, but don't make this poo poo a game feature.
Gotta increase that Hours Played!!!

(you dirty, obtuse gorilla rear end-lickers)

yeah this is a seriously bad design decision and has burned me already

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

isk posted:

The no saves on priority missions makes some sense at a high level - avoiding save-scumming - but in reality it leads to a poor experience. It feels out of place in a generally lighter, accessible game with a robust autosave/checkpoint system. Dark Souls, whatever, it's accepted that every action has weight and consequence.

This only works if the game autosaves at regular intervals. ME:A will seriously let you get through 30 minutes of hard fights without any saves. It's really bad.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Honestly, this game doesn't really feel like something I'd play through twice. Invest skill points in every tree and change up profiles a lot. There are encounters where a sniper rifle and some tech powers are really useful, especially against certain huge enemies.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Philonius posted:

So I notice the reactions in this thread have gotten significantly more positive.

That gives me hope that the game will be decent enough once they fix enough bugs to get it to launch state.

The story is weak and the dialog and animation is still really bad in many areas. But the combat is really good and it some of it feels like what ME1 should have been in terms of planet exploration. It is a fun but deeply flawed game.

Also the space exploration is utter trash, they completely ruined what was perfectly serviceable in the last 3 games.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 26, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Bohemian Nights posted:

Can you make the grenade launcher into a seeking plasma weapon, because that would kind of rock

I haven't tried but it generally limits you to one aug of each "type". So no :(

That said, the kett shotgun that is basically a 2 shot grenade launcher that does ~900 damage kicks rear end. Pair that with the aug that recharges 25% shields on emptying the mag, and armor that recharges on kill. It's like cheat mode for vanguard.

It's not really worth playing with the human crafting, but the kett weapons are really fun and feel unique. Haven't tried any remnant stuff yet though.

Edit: One more weird thing, why do the big tough monsters not give you any XP, and rarely ever drop crafting stuff? Those big dumb blue apes are all over karada and it's annoying having to deal with them.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 26, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Right, forgot about that. Just tried it and it seems to work. Fires blue grenades that explode on impact, and can be charged to fire 3 at once. I swear the range is reduced though.

It also reminds me of other really dumb poo poo related to crafting:

1) If you research a level of weapon, it should disappear any levels below that. So much clutter even when you just go to a specific weapon type.

2) FIRING RANGE. I can craft all this crazy poo poo, but I can't test it out without going to a planet.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Suvi notifies you if there is an anomaly, otherwise it's just getting that 100% on the screen.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Empress Brosephine posted:

Sooo I didn't realize holding triangle I the mako makes you eject the planet completely now when I go back to Eos it's not there anymore how do I get it back

You need to go to a forward station, one side of it will let you spawn it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That must just be a PC thing? On consoles you just hit back twice and it drops out. I actually like it fine on consoles, they made map the default in the menu. Helps because the compass is trash.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
When you ask suvi about her beliefs that stood out as a "what the gently caress" dialog choice. You can either argue with her, or say that you also believe. No "Yeah that's cool". Sometimes the game just railroads you into stupid dialog.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I don't know what the gently caress happened but I broke one of the Eos missions pretty hard. After you settle, there is a mission to deactivate a big kett power plant. I just went to the front door and gained access. As an optional part of the mission you shut down some stuff, but it trips an alarm. Tried to disable it but it tells you to go do something on 3 other consoles, so I did that. But the alarm kept going and there was no objective marker to turn it off and the original console didn't work.

So the game just kept spawning an infinite amount of kett. I killed an absolute shitton (like 10 minutes of vanguard charging them) but I noticed they were just phasing into existence right in front of me. Then I think there were memory issues because the models for some weren't loading, it just showed healthbars.

I eventually went and finished the objective inside a building, and when I came back out they were still loving spawning. Even after leaving the base I couldn't save or fast travel, had to go back to the colony before it took me out of combat status.

edit: Also, when you talk to peebee near the tempest research station in my game she does a full 360 before talking to you. It's hilarious every time.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 26, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with the Nomad? I can't get the thing to go up and hills and it gets stuck on almost any terrain. I usually just get out and walk instead of dealing with it.

You need to turn on 6 wheel drive mode, on XBONE it's the left bumper. Why they added this I have no idea.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Press X on any pretty much anything in the inventory to deconstruct or destroy it. But it can't be currently equipped...even if you're on the loving tempest.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ShineDog posted:

I don't really get it. I've seen like, 2 animation bugs (As opposed to animations that are just generally kinda bad like the faces) that have been noticable in my entire playthrough. I've had a guy t-pose in a hub and I've had some weird twisted head angles. You guys make it sound like your running into constant dealbreaker bugs, but given how much I've dropped into this it's been pretty solid.

The real problems to me are design choices. The UI. The amount of loot. The weird way they handle the premise. Some of the writing. The space travel.

I've seen quite a few animation bugs on bone. Peebee near the research table in general, it looks like she's trying to twerk the table. Only had one major bug on an EOS quest that seems to be common (infinite enemy spawns).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ShineDog posted:

I'm up and down on this game so much. I liked it at the start. I didn't like it at the end of the prologue. I didn't like it on the nexus. I liked it on the first real planet. I didn't like the next planet. I liked the planet after that. I didn't like the sidequest bomb. I liked it when the plot got going again.

I dunno, in game terms I really like all the combat because I'm a zooming space superhero. I really dislike the UI and the way sidequests are introduced. In plot terms I like the alien characters but it desperately needs to get to the loving point. Most of all I don't feel like the fiction hangs together well. So many dumb decisions and forced crap. Anything to do with your mystical Pathfinder status. Anything to do with the outcasts or the state of the cluster in general seems extremely mushily defined, like the writers didn't all attend the same briefings.

It's good! But it's frequently bad.

ME:A needed someone to come in and polish/trim the fat. It has like double the amount of content of any previous ME game but a decent amount of it is not very good. From what I've played so far (50% completion) there were a solid 10-15 hours of really enjoyable bits.

I also discovered that the pause screen doesn't stop the "amount played' timer, so it says I'm at 40 hours played.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Shield oscillator is really good on low clip size guns, or on armour. Gives you a shield boost when you empty the clip for a gun, or when you kill someone with armour. I roll with it on the dhan shotgun. Combine that with charge and you can really gently caress poo poo up.

At the very least make use of the extra mod slot augs.

Other than that I haven't really touched most of them. But most of the kett weapons are pretty neat and different feeling. I will never not have the Dhan in my inventory, it's basically a plasma shotgun with zero spread that can do ~1000 damage with the right mods.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've said it before, but the game should have cut half of the bad sidequests out and the experience would be far better. There are some interesting gems in there, but the ones that are "scan/collect/place/kill" X in multiple areas did not need to be there. EOS is especially bad for that. They definitely went with the idea "MORE IS BETTER" without bothering to make most of it fun.

Everytime I do a lovely quest I'm reminded of them talking about learning from Witcher 3. Like gently caress they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
lol the bugs

vetra's model vanished halfway through her loyalty mission.