Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It was a minor skirmish to the Turians. For humans it was a huge deal.

I always liked that. The humans call it the First Contact War. The turians call it the "relay <numbers> incident" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The biggest problem with the design IMO is the extremely human mouth. The second biggest problem is that every single one of the concept heads they showed was way better.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Thor-Stryker posted:

I thought the whole super-communicator was supposed to be rare because it's an atom split between two locations and vibrating one half causes the other half to do the same despite being split in half.

I remember because I think they used the same description as the actual real life observation/theory of the phenomenon.

Yeah it's described in ME2 as being extremely expensive and by its nature can only communicate between two (relatively) fixed points. The fact that it's instant communication regardless of distance makes it exactly what you'd want to put on an extragalactic colony ship. Naturally there won't be one. :v:

Or maybe they'll realize that it doesn't make sense not to have one and say that it broke :shrug:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You used your brain to see eyebrows in a picture then write fiction to explain them then get angry and upset at your own fiction.

The person you're quoting didn't even post about the eyebrows, friend. Please yell at the correct people.

(Also it doesn't "kinda look like" she has eyebrows, she definitely has eyebrows. Which is weird.)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think there's also a double heavy mech fight during Garrus's loyalty mission. But I'll take even the flimsiest excuse to use the Cain tbh.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Watch the story be that you roll in and start killing everyone and overthrowing governments then the citizens of andromeda try to build and use some mega weapon to wipe you all out and the game uncritically makes you fight and stop them unironically.

This seems extremely likely. That or you end up helping the natives fight Andromeda's race of ancient (possibly mechanical) evil monsters and collaborators.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

AngryBooch posted:

Reapers are like 2000 years late due to the Prothean's breaking the Citadel last cycle. The current cycle is probably the most technologically advanced cycle since the original Leviathans.

I keep forgetting that the Rachni War was the Reapers' fault. If the Protheans hadn't sabotaged the Citadel, the Asari/Turian/Salarian cycle would've been wiped out and humanity probably would've been discovering their local mass relay not that long after the Reapers finished their genocide. Imagine a cycle where humans are one of the first species to discover the mass relays... and then the yahg show up :gonk:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Yeah the "gigglesquee" thing caused quite a stir in the DA2 pre-release thread around here.

marshmallow creep posted:

and saying she wants to "nom her head,"

That too.

The "watching her walk" part was someone on the dev team talking about how sexy they thought the female main character's walking animation was.

Basically, DA2 was made by DeviantArt.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

marshmallow creep posted:

Latest rumor is Peebee's real first name "Pelessaria" translates to "daughter of Aria." If so, lol.

Sounds entirely like something some fan pulled out of their rear end.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Ramadu posted:

Yo is this game gonna be cool? i saw the one demo with the weird lips and bad gun takeaway but has anything to come out since then made it look good

Combat looks fun, companions and writing are going to be Very Bioware. That's about all we know.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Crabtree posted:

I'd just wish they'd pick either is this is the Enterprise or a Space Station. Making the gently caress boat somehow both really huge, but also some sort of combat/stealth vessel seem really pointless. Oh well, I doubt it'll loving matter. They probably need action scenes where your ship's attacked or is running away from the aliens!

They have both. The Tempest, which is the ship you fly around in, and the Nexus, which is the big-rear end colony ship slash space station that will presumably act as some kind of hub. They're not the same vessel.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Nope, unless they added one to the multiplayer at some point.

Makes sense, actually. Prenatal eezo exposure would be especially unlikely among Quarians.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

enraged_camel posted:

god dammit, we still have "loyalty missions"?

Yeah it's really terrible that your squadmates will have side missions focused around them that develop their character

:confused:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

There is an obvious point of no return, yes. (it's going to Cerberus HQ, in case it's less obvious than I remember)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a quest where you find out you gave an entire colony space STDs and have to race to deliver an anecdote?

"Hey, sorry I gave all three thousand of you the space-clap. Speaking of space-clap, though, there was this one time..."

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

They have cloning, yes. Saren was cloning krogan in ME1 and two of your squadmates in 2 are clones.

Miranda (kind of pushing the definition of "clone" a bit) and who else?

edit: oh, duh, Grunt. Also kind of pushing the definition, in that he's built out of a variety of ancestors.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

My extremely important opinions after playing a bunch of the desert planet (yes I paid $5 for a demo :negative:):

Combat is fun, could use more oomph on gunshots and such though. Cover system sucks but jetpacking and dashing around is real good.
Mako 2 kinda sucks, in that I can't just point myself in a straight line at my destination and conquer mountains until I get there. Have to boost and use the stupid all-wheel drive toggle to climb moderately steep hills.
Worst-animated human faces in gaming period. Just, holy poo poo. As bad as all the pre-release stuff made it look. Salarians look fine, krogan look kinda weird.
Loot system reminds me of Mass Effect 1 but on a smaller scale. Most of the trash drops you'd get in that game are replaced by crafting materials in this one, but I was still finding "Kett Assault Rifle 1" on some dead enemies. This is probably going to be very divisive. Or everyone but me will loathe it while I kinda shrug indifferently, idk.
Writing is a clear step down from the first three games (except for the worst parts of ME3) and probably a slight step down from DA:I as well. BioWare's slide toward being Bethesda 2 continues. It's also impossible to take any of it seriously if you're looking at the characters' faces while they talk.

Verdict: If you're looking for a badass open world game, go buy Horizon or Zelda. But if you really love Mass Effect (including ME3) and/or enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition, then you'll probably enjoy Andromeda. Personally my brain is broken enough that I'm all but certain I'm gonna buy it and enjoy it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Vikar Jerome posted:

i understand it fine and i understand there are no mass relays in andromeda. im talking about the galaxy map here, not the 600 year trip.

They're flying around a single star cluster, not an entire galaxy

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

CrazyLoon posted:

It amazes me how many times actual french or french-canadian actresses get called out for their 'fake' accents lmao. Seriously, is this some kind of goon defense mechanism from having it affect your pants too much or wtf?

I don't know why it happens but it's always good for a laugh. Turns out people who have no loving clue what they're talking about like to act like they're some kind of authority on a subject!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Zzulu posted:

no I said it too, and plenty of others

it just gets drowned out by hordes of people who havent played the game laughing at gifs

To be fair the gifs are hilarious and the animations don't look any better in context, but shockingly that doesn't mean the game can't be fun :monocle:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Does Scott Ryder sound like Nolan North Jr. to anyone else or has my brain finally broken

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Drifter posted:

You know, I could imagine Bioware's writers to be echo-chambered up to their ears with nearly zero actual professional editing feedback and feel a sort of invincibility with regards to their position, and be immature enough to find something like this appropriate.

This is also how most of DA2's companions happened

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Finally an answer for why they tuck their head-tails into their clothes: they're attached to their chests (and upper arms???).

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What is the point of no return on the trial?

There isn't one, it just pops up a message telling you that you can't go through a door yet.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

DancingShade posted:

In an era where a score of 7 drives Zelda fans to murderous rage a 5 is like genocide or something I don't even know.

It's really funny that this is still happening with specifically Zelda games. Remember when Twilight Princess got like an 8.8 from GameSpot and certain parts of the internet loving lost their minds lmao

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

If there's one thing less useful than the critic metascore, it's the user metascore. At least the critics all probably played the game.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

RatHat posted:

What shotgun do you guys recommend for a Vanguard? There are so many guns to choose from it's hard to pick.[/spoiler]

I've tried a few (still need to try the Krogan one and the electric one) but keep falling back on the Disciple. It's just a really solid, ordinary shotgun. The Dhan (single-slug Kett shotgun) is super powerful but for whatever reason I didn't like using it. The Piranha is really good DPS but I wanted more punch per shot so it didn't do it for me.

The other Kett shotgun (Hesh I think?) and the Remnant one were a waste of research points, don't make my mistake.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 23, 2017

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lollerich posted:

So, I need to take down an architect(?) on Voeld. Unfortunately it's in a level 2 hazard zone so there is basically no chance of doing that. I've already started the terraformer and I have 100% Viability on that Planet. Since then I've been away doing other missions for maybe 8 hours and even found another arc. At which point do the hazard zones disappear? What triggers it?

There are heaters (and health and ammo boxes) spread around the area, in or on the buildings.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't think the game difficulties are particularly balanced. I am playing on Hardcore for example and doing the Architect fight and I have literally run out of bullets for all 4 guns. I have cleared out both fight areas of all extra ammo but because the boss itself has a jillion HP and spawns a bunch of bullet sponge buddies every minute or so I just can't do it. Like I die quick and that's fine and all its part of the reason I picked the difficulty but this seems a bit much.

This is the main reason I play most games on normal difficulty. Damage-sponge enemies are the most tedious poo poo.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I can't tell if the writers made Cora the asari version of a big ol' weeb as a joke or if they were trying to make the asari seem less terrible by having your second-in-command respect them so much but either way man oh man Cora sucks

Genuinely shocked that Peebee ended up not being the worst crew member. Then again I haven't done her personal quest yet so she could pretty easily reclaim trash status

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I just got to the krogan colony world and uh

why did they make two entire desert planets

why

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Verviticus posted:

oh for people trying to do vanguard on harder difficulties, i found the "kett carfalon" was insaely useful because it refills your health bar, so each melee is giving you ~30% of your total health/shields back. it lets you tank a LOT of poo poo

Combine this with the gun mod that drains 5% of your HP instead of making you reload for extremely good times. (also that gun mod gives you infinite ammo but I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

precision posted:

I just respecced as a Vanguard with Charge, Annihilation, and Lance, and bought the Crusader, the single player is now a joke.

Per someone's recommendation earlier in the thread, I tried this loadout with the Adept profile for the chaining combo detonations and it loving rules. Not gaining shields on melee anymore kind of sucks, but having a +25% shields on kill mod baked into my armor is more than making up for it.

Also I've unlocked a 4th gun slot and have the weight allowance to use it, but I have no idea what to put there. Someone recommend me a fun gimmick gun to go with my hurricane SMG, infinite ammo shotgun, and three-shot burst laser rifle. (speaking of which, PSA: definitely put a +stability mod in any burst-fire weapon)

edit: Oh, and I've been wondering - is there a decent way to get a bunch of Andromeda research points? It seems like it's been forever since I had a lot of them, and my armor research is falling behind. I guess I should probably just do more main plot stuff so I end up in Kett bases or something?

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 26, 2017

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Man, Architects are so disappointing. I was expecting a 30-40 minute world-boss fight like the dragons in DA:I, instead it's a moderately large enemy that takes 5-10 minutes to bring down. They're squishier than some of the Ascended you encounter.

just lmao if you actually ever took half an hour to fight a dragon in DA:I, and double lmao if you thought that was a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Are there any decent assault rifles or pistols? None of the ones I've tried do anywhere near enough damage. Made a hornet with the grenade launcher aug, but it sucked. Tried the falcon and it was super underwhelming. The remnant laser gun is completely worthless. So far only shotguns and sniper rifles are worth a drat, which is a shame because I need to put more points into combat to level up vanguard and all combat abilities are absolute poo poo as well so I'm really wondering where to put those points.

Pistols:
Carnifex, as you'd expect, is a good hand-cannon. Hurricane is a good SMG (load with seeking plasma augment for maximum hip-fire action) The Kett SMG is probably good but I haven't actually tried it, same with the Angara hand-cannon.

ARs:
Sandstorm is pretty solid, but semi-auto so you might prefer to just stick to sniper rifles. Sweeper (remnant burst-fire) is pretty good, especially with a stability mod slotted in. The full-auto Kett AR is also pretty decent, though I can't remember its name.

That said I still end up falling back on my Crusader shotgun 90% of the time, only switching to an assault or sniper rifle when I feel like switching things up. Vangaurd 4 life.