Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Moola posted:

Thanks; its ok I'll try daggerz rouge instead

Assassin or tempest if you haven't made the choice yet. I think tempest is most exciting but assassin can do insane damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I liked DA:I but it was too easy to accidentally become way overpowered. My first character was a Rogue, and then I crafted some daggers that gave me shield (the bonus hit point thing warriors get) when I damage enemies and after that I became a Rogue tank with 3 mages backing me up and I had to start over so the game had challenge again.

I don't expect masterworks will be in the crafting system for MEA, though just imagine a weapon upgrade that gives you barrier every time a shot lands and has a chance to trigger nova on the target one shot out of ten and then you put it on something like the tempest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Eej posted:

I love doing side poo poo but I hate ending up too powerful for the main story, a gaming conundrum that no gaming company has figured out a fix for.

Inquisition Trials are exactly for that so the enemy is always at least your level and or has special abilities to put them at or above your character's baseline. They are pretty good and stuff on nightmare is often still a challenge after crafting crazy broken gear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If trials aren't in at launch they need to be added by the time they launch the successor to Citadel, Nexus.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Curious; is there a game that has a "fun" crafting interface other games should crib?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

By default on hard, if you have been doing everything, the final boss of inquisition is one of those inflatable punching clowns, and you are Wolverine

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alain Post posted:

IMO the right way to do speech checks/RPG mechanics is to have the skill checks be invisible.

I think the ideal way to do it is like Tyranny--make the checks invisible by default but have an option to turn them for people who just have to have perfect information.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nevets posted:

Don't make assumptions, the central plot for Andromeda might be that the native aliens are slowly dying out due to a lack of genetic diversity and it is up to newShephard to gently caress them back to life.

F. Ryder is only too happy to help until a nefarious synthetic spoils everything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

lol I love that the ghost of zaphod haunts all of SA

Oh, what happened to him?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alain Post posted:

It should have been you, Emily Wong. Godspeed

At least Wong had a good Twitter during the launch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I looked at the Doom thread and it doesn't look like was banned or anything, so I may have just misunderstood.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

As I understand it, the show it's supposed to appear on doesn't even start for another hour or more, so just hang tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9O7N3GkG_o

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Was that a female turian Ryder was palling with at the start of the video?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Just promise to name your pyjak after me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yep! Her name is Vetra

Brb writing my fanfic

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No mention of a mom so far, but I guarantee Dad is going to die in the first act/tutorial mission so you can inherit his title. We already know that the sibling you don't play is going to have an "accident" that leaves them unable to go on missions, but they won't die.

Yeah this looks loving weird. The eyes are completely dead. Maybe a simple fix would have been to change the camera angle so it hid the eyes and seemed more dramatic. A swoop around the turian's back during the gun grab for some ol' sleight of hand film trickery.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No kidding. I'm not expecting them to do a CD Projekt Red and make eye and eyebrow movements so nuanced I can read Geralt's mind, but there has to be something there. From the nose up that is plainly a puppet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ramadu posted:

So like, why is everythign colonized already? Was our ark slow as poo poo or something? Did we build a jalopy?

As mentioned before, the Nexus set out first to establish forward colonies while the arks were bringing mostly people and the video is really about just one such area. They would have set up some colonies in a big drat hurry to anticipate the arks behind them. It also sounds like the stress of that may have led to a failure of leadership in this area given who we just met seems to essentially be a mercenary queenpin. It looked like some of the andromeda natives were also there, so perhaps they had a hand in the set up?

Don't worry; if they follow the Inquisition model you will have plenty of uninhabitated space to biotically charge through.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wonder how many decisions I am going to not take more than once simply because it looked so bad the first time I did them?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's when if you're in the right place when the enemy plays an animation, you loving die. Even if (from your perspective at least) you are already five feet away, you will be tractor-beamed back into their hands and treated to a canned murder. Banshees in multiplayer were notorious for it.

What I got from video was the "sync kills" looked more like unique death animations for losing all health when close to a particular monster rather than the monster using a special "gently caress you" attack. Like if the last of your health gets smacked off by the giant gorilla, it then picks you up and eats you rather than just play the usual death animation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Moola posted:

i pre-ordered DA2

to hope is to lie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

get this under 100mb so I can have a new avatar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Now to decide what bad mass effect quote to use.

edit: I look at this and can't stop thinking about eating cereal.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 2, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I can't wait to scan plants and minerals alongside my companions, New Wrex and New Garrus but a Girl.

Girlus and Dreck

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Crabtree posted:

So is Super Vanguard going to be the most broken/best class to play as and then Bioware will poo poo itself and nerf it like they did with the spirit sword mages?

No classes, so everyone can be vanguard! What's to nerf when everyone has the power?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Would that be more of a Techie thing though?

The mass effect version of Symmetra. With a drone version of Roadhog's hook. Instead of charging into the enemy, pull them into your killzone.

We've already seen the vanguard Ryder use Reinhardt's shield.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 2, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It's not a worthwhile comparison anyway since Dragon Age is produced by a completely different team and Mass Effect: Andromeda was apparently not up to the quality standards of the dude who wrote Halo 4.

Almost true. They pulled in a lot of the Inquisition team for this one. Supposedly every Bioware team has had a hand in Andromeda.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Is ME:A realistically one of the first games that could really crib from Witcher 3 in terms of timing? I wonder if that's gonna be a big trend going forward.

Witcher 3 was already cribbing detective vision and that scanner tool looks more like a batman device anyway.

What they should have cribbed from the Witcher was the animation and storytelling HEY OH!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alain Post posted:

It's incredible how little sense ME1's plot makes if you do the plot missions in the "wrong" order.

Always get Liara last.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Unless you want to replay it because gently caress that unavoidable 10min walk through the ship.

I started something like 12 characters on 360 and the worst part is waiting for Miranda and TIM to stfu.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Reclaimer posted:

It's really not, and it's part of why the presumptive romance with her is p weird.

Two of shep's love interests are basically children according to their respective cultures and a third is emotionally a vulnerable teenager. Makes you think how many Star Trek fans are on the Bioware staff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Yeah seriously

The worst part about the ending was that it was the ending to MASS EFFECT, a great gaming series

You get worse endings in most other games

As he shat in my mouth, i sighed with relief. It could be worse, I thought, This could be Dragon Age 2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Watched the gameplay trailer.

Why the gently caress is there crafting and resource harvesting? That poo poo has never, ever been fun outside of the genres that specifically cater to it like Minecraft.

Also, girl Ryder looks and sounds like she's 14 years old.

On the other hand, crafting is fun. In all games. Every game.

Crafting in Mario. Crafting in Pac Man. Crafting in Pong. FUN!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

This. I like crafting in the right genre - I enjoy the crafting in Subnautica for a recent example - but in this game, please just let me find/buy the armor and guns.

I really hope DAI/Skyrim isn't influencing MEA as much as it looks like it is. I love the idea of exploring new worlds and making that a key part of gameplay. Stopping every ten feet to harvest iron silverite lithium, not so much.

Walters said on twitter that you don't need to do the crafting to have competitive gear, so no need to strip mine whole solar systems of their platinum to make your shotguns 10% better.

To be fair, though, he never said you didn't have to do any harvesting. It's possible you still need to collect lithium to sell for the money to get good guns.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Personally, it's not the crafting that brings things down, at least for me. It's the gathering. Let me take generic moneys and turn out custom gear to my hearts content instead of worrying about finding enough kroganberries for my medigel.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't played ME3 but this Kai Leng guy has to be pretty bad if he's worse than Benezia since I can barely remember who she is and I replayed ME1 a year ago.

I remember Benezia super well because she turned me into silly putty and melted me into the floor.

Also, that rack. Shame Liara didn't take more after her mother.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 was a very uneven game but it attempted to do something quite bold and actually end a franchise. But fans clamored for more alien sex and memes so now we're going to get the blandest most distilled form of that ever. Pre-order now and receive a catchphrase-loving AI companion aboard the Normandy.

Except that they were saying before the game came out that they wanted to continue the world of mass effect after shepard's story was finished. They wanted the franchise to continue. They were explicit about this, just as they were about "our game doesn't have just an A, B or C ending." Their ending was so cartoonishly bad they had to move to another galaxy to continue the series.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I like characters having voices

I agree.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alain Post posted:

They're insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Megazver posted:

I wish someone made a space opera anthology series, where you'd get a complete different universe with each entry.

Like Final Fantasy, but space opera shootmans? I could dig it.