Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm guess ship 4 is Turians, or something off the wall like Hanar, and then there are Krogan hangers on because having an ark ship of Krogan would make zero loving sense.

It also gives them an easy way not to have to model Geth, Quarians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

the good fax machine posted:

If we brought Quarians and left the Turians and Krogans I am going to be legit mad :colbert:

We know there are some Krogan, the preview explicitly mentions them.

Its just probably going to be a few adventurer Krogan dudes who tagged along as Mercenaries or for the experience. Similarly Quarians would make 0 loving sense since their population is tiny as poo poo and most of them are part of the Flotila.

Turians are also the only race that makes sense according to the *~lore~*, and considering the other 3 Arks are explicitly the other 3 council races, but who knows :shrug:

I'd like to see some more Salarians in the spotlight regardless, they really got shafted in the original trilogy overall.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 8, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hey if you want to see a better picture of the Kett

http://bsn.boards.net/thread/2082/game-informer-details?page=6

They look a lot like Protheans. Maybe descendants who escaped to Andromeda?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

precision posted:

Krogans are boring, I hope they're not in and BioWare instead made another race to be What If Orcs, But Too Much.

They're in so... probably not.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Might be interesting to see how the difference in racial lifespans affects the ark races differently. Salarians only live like 45-50 years, right, compared to the thousands of years for Asari?

They were in hypersleep so no generational stuff unless like the Asari/Krogan all stayed awake during the voyage.

They'll probably gloss over it though since they never really deal with the fact the Asari/Krogan live like fifty times longer than everyone else since they live thousands of years while everyone else operates on human/slightly less than human lifespan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I hate to be that guy, but the trailers said 4 ark ships total, and we know it'll be the council races, so humans, turians, asari, and salarians. If there are other races, they'll probably be just randoms hanging out on the main ship because they're good at their jobs or something. Not sure where the fifth arkship talk came from.

There's a citadel-like Nexus ship as well. People are speculating thats where the non-council races are hanging out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

There is also confirmed talk of a krogan colony ship you have to find but that's probably not the same as an ark ship.

Well, a Krogan is confirmed to tell you about a missing colony ship. Nothing says the colony is comprised of Krogan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You mean like the reapers? And wasn't there a Human-Batarian war before the series? Or was it Turians? I forget.

Turians and humans had a minor skirmish which introduced humans to the broader galaxy. Humans and Batarians had a small scale war right before ME1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

I always have felt I cheated myself in me2 by looking up who to put in the vents at the end.

uh, who else were you going to send besides Tali/Legion?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Me1 had amazing atmosphere and sets and characters. The fighting was secondary . To me. IMHO.

Me2 mixed both and was one of the best games ever made tho the last boss was dumb .

I really dislike how ME2 locked literally half the classes to only pistols. And on top of that made it so one of the pistols was a side-weapon at best because none of them got nearly enough ammo per heat sink.

ME3 and ME1 were much better with the ability to mix and match weapons you liked, so all Adepts weren't locked to 'well, I guess I'm just using the Tempest forever' until 2/3rds through the game.

I also really disliked how hosed over a lot of squadmates were in ME2 while others were great. Jack especially is just the epitome of :effort: since basically everything is immune to her two active powers for most of the fight. Ditto Samara/Mordrith and to a lesser extent Mordin, Legion and Jacob.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

*Runs or of ammo in a universe where they have unlimited-round magazines*

Seriously, they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a 'quality' in-universe reason for the switch.

A blended mechanic where you have over-heating but can use cooling-magazines to instantly reset your heat would have made more sense.

Especially since cores are spread so thick you can't really run out of ammo anyways.

It would also make heavier weapons, like the Heavy Pistol, more viable as a primary weapon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

wasn't there a spot on the citadel in... 2? I think? where you could see an elcor in the background walking around?

I'd say let's see a hanar move but it'd just float slowly and boringly :(

Part of a cutscene in 3 had an Elcor ambling along behind you.

It actually looked pretty cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I've been predicting for awhile that Ryder's ship will malfunction at the start of Andromeda and they'll remain in hypersleep for 100 years or whatever and awaken to a galaxy already populated by your favorite fuckable aliens.
Explicitly, the nexus ran ahead of the colony ships and spat a bunch of colonists out in Andromeda before the Arks got there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The Witcher is terrible, and I'm always honestly shocked people who like to clown on Bioware for lovely writing defend loving Geralt.

Also the gameplay is god-awful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you referring to the first game, or to The Witcher 3?

The first game was much worse, but The Witcher 3 is still real poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Alain Post posted:

I have room for lots of opinions, but if you think a Dragon Age game is better than Witcher 3 you are probably suffering from some kind of mental illness.

I wasn't saying anything about Dragon Age? Just expressing surprise that goons were clowning on it and turning around to praise Witcher which is like.... loving terrible?

Like I feel like people should totally make fun of the bad poo poo in Dragon Age, but the Witcher is chock full of dumb bullshit where women are just driven so crazy by how sexy Geralt is and he's the best sexer at sex and he's infertile ladies.

Its absolutely creepy and cringe-inducing bullshit, much like the 'romance' scenes in Dragon Age/Mass Effect. But there are a fuckton more of them and they're really intrusive into the plot.

Or the gameplay where you aggro an enemy of an arbitrary level higher than you so you start scratching them instead of doing damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpT7qHnVxhs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

So you are just talking about Witcher 1 then, yes? The title even most Witcher fans agree was deeply flawed?

Because that doesn't describe Witcher 3.

Yeah, sure it doesn't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Transmetropolitan posted:

lmao

I just knew it that this thread would inevitably have a CDPR versus Bioware moment but come on

They can both be poo poo.

Like, disliking one does not mean the other is magically good. There is no scale that says 'CDPR/BIOWARE' and you have to like one and hate the other.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nevets posted:

Asari can extract genetic material from the males of other species.
Asari can extract genetic material from other members of their own species.
It is possible the extraction method doesn't have anything to do with typical male/female intercourse, but I doubt it.
So all asari probably have penises.

Have we ever had a mainstream scifi universe that didn't include a sexy alien species whose defining characteristic was being promiscuous/prostitutes/sex slaves/sybarites?

Star Wars doesn't really?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the current assumption is that Cora is the female human companion that you start the game with, the old survey leaks that have mostly come true mentioned a blonde woman as a squad member. They haven't shown either human companion without their helmets on yet though.

Yeah, so we have

Male Human
Female Human
Turian
Asari
Krogan

I'm guessing we'll finally get another Salarian as a squaddie and then probably another dude human. A Quarian if they really, really want to appeal to the Talimancers or a new Andromedan race as a secret late-game option.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Did anyone ever like playing as an Engineer? I heard people gush about everything else at some point (esp. Vanguard/Infiltrator) but no one ever seemed to give a gently caress about Engineers.

I played Adept and they seemed basically like a worse version.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Do Engineers have Lift/Singularity?

No, thats why they're worse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Oh also, The Illusive Man did nothing wrong.

He wasted billions on bringing Shepard back to life tho?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Its literally the opposite of what the Catalyst says, but some people are really invested in their 'Shepard is a VI!' thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I still love that Kai Leng's most heinous act of villainy was breaking into Anderson's apartment and eating his cereal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Witcher 3 combat and crafting is utter garbage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

You could fast travel to the main hall but had to manually go through another loading screen through a door.

As far as I remember.

Yeah, the crafting area was in its own loading zone in the castle. There was a fast travel point within clicking distance of the door though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Inq was terrible for Qunari because all their hair was terrible.

And they didn't get any cool light armor looks which sucked for my mage. :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Serf posted:

3 active skills seems like plenty for a cover shooter.

Not if you're a space-wizard.

Throw, pull, Warp, Singularity, Barrier, shockwave were all used in basically every combat in ME3. Paring it down makes a lot of cooler situational powers idiotic to take. It also makes mixing and matching restrictive as gently caress.

Man this is the worst loving news. Hell I like ME3 a lot and Im going to be waiting on this game now because seriously fuuuuuuuck that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Multiplayer restricted you to three active abilities and it never felt restricting.

It did make a number of basic classes feel like poo poo though (human Adept, human Sentinel in particular). And it mostly got around feeling restricting by making a lot of new cool powers that aren't as specialized as things like Pull/Throw.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hampig posted:

Well this is exactly what they've done. Most skills look like they have multiple uses or alternate fire modes now. Also everyone can combo reliably with separate cooldowns.

You still have two squadmates with a full complement of skills in SP, so in practice you have 9 skill slots which is plenty. Not being able to do everything yourself is healthy for a squad-based game.

I mean it leaves a fuckton of powers in the realm of 'why would you ever take this' now though.

Cryo Blast, Throw, Shockwave, Nova, Sentry Turret, Concussive Shot, the grenade skills are all now 'why ever bother' because they're all super situational and not as widely useful as things like Charge/Warp/Singularity/Overload etc.

And if ammo powers count it just feels even shittier.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Planning on waiting a bit before buying this. I mean goon reviews have only put me on to one game that I didn't enjoy overall so will wait to see what others think.

Does anyone know why humanity is fleeing our own galaxy for parts unknown?

Ostensibly on an exploration mission, probably as a secret insurance to get some people out before the Reaper invasion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not a goon who sits around and shits on a game- but there is some legitimately good criticism here in that, they really haven't shown much.

I knew a lot about ME2 and ME3 going into two months before release. For instance I could tell you that it was possible to shoot pilots out of ATLAS mechs, and there would be a part in the game you took control of one for ME3. Most of the new party members were highlighted or hinted at. Just little details like that.

Not seeing any of that here. I suspect they've might have stripped the game down again Dragon Age 2 style.

Dragon Age 2 had a ton of marketing and things before release?

Do you really not remember 'THIS IS THE NEW poo poo',"Button=awesome connection", several hour long deep dives and a demo about a month and a half out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hell, ME2 does the glowing stuff thing during Kasumi's loyalty mission and it pops up in Inquisition as well.

Its a pretty common part of the genre now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
gently caress you think that's bad? I played Jade Empire and it had a threesome! Just ripping off the Witcher left and right.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lurks Morington posted:

And, weirdly, at the very end some comps will kill a loyal squad member, even with everyone else loyal. I brought Garrus and Miranda for the baby reaper fight and Mordin died for some reason. There's a flow chart that explains, I'm sure

Mordin's got a very low Hold the Line score while Garrus has one of the best. It averages the people left behind and kills people if the average is below a certain amount. Mordin also dies first.

You need 18 points on the people left behind and both you bring with you to be loyal. You'd never want to bring Garrus/Grunt/Zaeed because they all give 3 points

So Loyal Tali and Loyal Jack for the boss and the Biotic/Tech sections. Then 3 more of your choice (one needs to be Garrus/Miranda/Grunt) would get everyone out alive with 5 loyalty missions total. You want Jack and Tali over Samara/Legion because the latter two have innately better Hold the Line scores and you want to take 2 of Mordin/Tali/Kasumi/Jack to the boss anyways so they don't drag down your score.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 10, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

How does the story work if Shepard dies? Does anything change in ME3?
What happens at the end of mE2?

You can't import a Shepard dies save into ME3.

In ME2 you just get some scenes of the one squadmate and Joker being sad as they fly away from the Collector Base.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd rather go for dead. The only thing more cliché than a dead parent is a villainous parent.

The ME series has enough metaphorical daddy issues knocking around; they don't need to go making them literal.

It still amazes me that every single loyalty with the exception of Kasumi/Garrus/Zaeed/Mordin was about daddy issues. Either they had a poo poo dad or they were a poo poo dad in the case of Thane/Samara.

And Garrus had his daddy issues mission in ME1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

That trailer was uploaded 6 days before release, was it available earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIG2dWLHaYU
That seems to be 1 month before release.

Man that trailer is hilarious looking back. I'm pretty sure literally none of those cutscenes except a bit of the Thane one are in ME2. And the weird pre-rendered combat scene is real janky.

Back in the weird pre-release times where Legion was Shepard's stalker, Grunt wasn't a test-tube baby and Jack was Subject Zero all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Veotax posted:

Was the demo of ME3 ten hours of the singleplayer and as much of the multiplayer that you wanted to play prior to launch?

I'm not defending there being no demo, but Origin Access/EA Access comes with a lot more than 'lol mass effect demo'.

It was just multi with limited maps and a limited selection of characters IIRC. Unlimited time tho.