Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Neat, I look forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I hate to be that guy, but the trailers said 4 ark ships total, and we know it'll be the council races, so humans, turians, asari, and salarians. If there are other races, they'll probably be just randoms hanging out on the main ship because they're good at their jobs or something. Not sure where the fifth arkship talk came from.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zore posted:

There's a citadel-like Nexus ship as well. People are speculating thats where the non-council races are hanging out.

That's what I meant by main ship, but I did choose the most vague way to say it because I forgot which term it was they used for it. I would be amazed if there weren't several members of every race we already know on the nexus ship.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

BexGu posted:

Kind of wish humans where a little more like how they are shown in Babylon 5. Sure they showed up and ended up kicking a mid-tier species rear end but then got curbed stomped after picking a fight with the toughest species on the bock.

You mean like the reapers? And wasn't there a Human-Batarian war before the series? Or was it Turians? I forget.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Transmogrifier posted:

There's that, and in DAI there's a mounted Krogan head in a trophy room in the mission Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts.

Nods to other games don't really mean they're canonically in the same universe. Devs do that poo poo all the time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

When people say the game looks like fun, you do realize that we haven't seen anything about Andromeda outside of some prefab cutscenes and "this is the new poo poo" clips of space marines in jet packs.

It's also a mass effect game. We can guess a whole lot about what it'll be about, kinda like how if they announce a new street fighter you pretty much already know what the meat of the game is gonna be and what most of the characters will be like.

The idea that the game must be trash is about as valid as the idea that it'll be good and neat.

Also if you thought ME3 sucked because of the ending and it negated however many hours it took you to get there, you kinda missed the entire point of the game's story.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well that's kind of a bad analogy because the last Street Fighter ended up being an unfinished mess at launch. I guess the biggest difference was that we actually saw gameplay footage from SFV three months before release, though.

Yeah but it also was a fighting game with the same familiar characters in it as always. It's mass effect, it'll have guns and space magic in two flavors (orange and blue), party members with loyalty missions, an overarching "Save humanity/the galaxy/something" story, smaller subplots about ethical dilemmas, like the genophage and cerberus poo poo, and it'll have dialogue options in a wheel of some fashion. It might have something akin to paragon/renegade actions, but who knows what they'll be called.

Whether it's an unfinished mess or not was beside the point I was making.

Also, we'll get a first look at the gameplay at the games award show or w/e the gently caress it's called in early december, so that kinda lines up with seeing it three months before release.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 14, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I think they shifted to an ammunition system because it isn't tedious and unfun.

I still can't actually sit down and play ME1 anymore, no matter how much I may want to. The heat system was dumb and unfun. It encouraged you to sit there with a sniper rifle and JO while slowly killing everyone instead of moving up to claim ammo and actually having to engage with things in a fight.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Hot Take: DA2 is way better than you guys remember, and all of the Dragon Age games are way worse than everyone thinks they are.

Also yeah, I can't muster the will to even pirate witcher 3 because nothing about geralt is interesting at all. At least Shepard was just a particularly good soldier, they weren't an ubermensch author insert as well (at least not until much later). If you don't understand what that means, just start listing off the titles Geralt has and his abilities and then compare them to Rand Al'thor from wheel of time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Witcher is good but i prefer high fantasy stuff in my rpgs to whatever the stuff in witcher is called

"ERP"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Trast posted:

Just curious about you Dragon Age 2 is good people. How much did you pay for the game? I can see paying five dollars for it making it much easier to accept what a terrible game it is compared to paying release day sixty dollars or more.

Just curious about you Dragon Age 2 is bad people. How many times did it gently caress you in the rear end? I can see complaining about a bad game for awhile after it comes out, but how long do you have to keep such a hateboner for such a bland game?

lol

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Trast posted:

I'm curious as to why my question seems to be getting on people's nerves. It's not unfair to say what you pay for something can have some influence on what you think of it.

As an example as much as I disliked the ending to ME3 I still got more than normal value out of what I paid due to multiplayer's replay-ability.

Because the question isn't about value, it's just another way of you telling people they're wrong for having their opinions.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Trast posted:

Not my intention. People are free to have an opinion about anything they want. That being said DA2 is still a bad game. You can still enjoy it for one dollar or sixty but it's still a bad game.

If it wasn't your intention, then why'd you bother asking the question? Because the very very obvious answer to why some people like dragon age 2 is "People like different things, weird poo poo." Kind of like everything else in existence that people may or may not like.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Drifter posted:

So loyalty missions are completely optional, which means that your companions aren't integral to the main story. Which means that ... why didn't they make the one part that fleshes out your companions an integral part of the game?
If you don't do them do they just stand at their spot in the spaceship staring quietly at a wall?
Why did they do that? Were people complaining about having to do EXTRA missions?

They were always optional. That one guy that got all of his companions killed in ME2's ending could only do it because they were optional.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

ME3 was doomed to suck the second Sovereign spoke in ME1. Reapers are a force of nature villian, trying to humanize them and turn them into a saturday morning cartoon villian completely hosed their story.

Also the Citadel DLC was the best part of the entire series by far.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Force of nature is what we got in ME3.

In ME1 and ME2 there was a creepy voice behind the machine death gods and only a hint of personality, which I liked. Sovereign was super ominous and Harbinger was clearly sexually confused by Shepard

Those were really cool scenes, but there isn't a reasonable explanation for what the reapers do that makes any kind of sense if they're not just inexplicable murderbots.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The only good thing about kai leng was charging and punching his smug face every time we fought because vanguard shepard don't take no poo poo. Kai leng would always show up, do team rocket bullshit, get his rear end kicked, and run away.

I'm okay with cerberus just being really incompetent, though. People argue "well they brought shepard back, they can't be that bad at everything" and the best response to that is the facility you were remade in blowing up and you spending the entire next game kicking their teeth in. You don't see the failure because you are their greatest failure.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 29, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Also true. There were a lot of things wrong with ME3 beyond the ending. Given that Walters, apparently, wanted to sort of end the franchise, you wonder what the motivation was behind some of the decisions.

Lodes-a-money

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

The question "Can you describe the Reaper cycle as 'to clear a crowded sky'?" is a [2] mark Understanding & Comprehension question and does not require 1600 semi-relevant words to answer.

Is this the part where you get called out on being a retard and then post the I was only pretending to be a retard picture? I feel like this is coming up soon.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Glen Cook version of Mass Effect where shepard's team is just another merc unit and they join the reapers directly under sovereign, but harbinger is a dick and keeps loving with them because he wants to usurp sovereign's position, so shepard's team lays a trap for harbinger, and in order to kill him they hold him down with a massive energy grid or space magic doohickey and hack off every one of of his tentacles, bisect his body and bury the brain separately. It'd be so loving great, especially when he comes back because some other dickhead goes and digs him up. And you have to kill him again.

Basically if Glen Cook wrote Mass Effect we'd have shepard becoming the avatar of a god to fistfight the leviathans, who would still be controlling the reapers. And it would be metal as gently caress. The beginning of game three would be told from Traynor's perspective until a bunch of other plot characters like Garrus and Tali die, and then right when Traynor dies, Shepard, who had been missing up to this point and presumed dead, shows up to pick the banner up and resume being the perspective character.

gently caress dude, I just want Glen Cook to write for any game at this point. I don't even remember what I was gonna say about Lt. Dan's posts now except "lol" because I'm just thinking about how many reapers would get killed by shepard just because they were politically in the way instead of some dumb "save the universe" bullshit.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Now I remember: the worst part about mass effect's ending isn't that it's a mcguffin, since the story was always basically the same as Lord of the Rings, except you have to go find the ring first. It was always going to be finished in a small scale action with set pieces much larger than the end because it was the only reasonable way to maintain humanity(along with various blue lesbians and frog people) fighting to survive with everything they had against a foe they couldn't possibly defeat conventionally without lots of help, which they weren't getting.

Paragon shep should have been about getting everyone to work together because the power of friendship, and renegade shep should have been all about using the McGuffin to become the machine god to solve the problem on their own because people are stupid and you don't trust them.

Instead the writers made it so "THIS IS HOW THE GAME WILL END" and wrote themselves into a corner by making all roads lead to that end instead of writing each path along until they reached their own logical conclusions, good or bad. Maybe if you're middling Shepard, everyone loses because you didn't have the balls to make poo poo happen. Maybe that's when the synthetic ending happens because you're not decisive and the kid just makes the decision for you. Maybe you just die when the laser hits you because you're a baby back bitch and didn't commit, and the game's message is to commit to something. Either way, they started with the premise that "Shepard must win, and this is the only way shepard can win" and that by itself defeated any ending they could come up with within those guidelines.

At the same time, I think of ME3 as a necessary game to play if you played through ME1&2, but only because it's where the subplots are resolved, like the genophage subplot and the geth vs quarian subplot, and those were handled fairly well, I think. They just didn't really matter after Marauder Shields.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well I didn't think goons would possibly be hyped about a game where we've seen almost nothing substantial, that's been delayed a million times and had a bunch of project leads quit while promoting robust features like mineral collection, but the goon springs eternal. I bet half the thread slams down a $69.99 pre-order tomorrow when your Turian squadmate quips about having their sniper rifle recalibrated.

I'm hopeful the game will be good, because life is a little better when you have things to look forward to even if they might suck later, but please don't preorder games anymore. There's no reason to do it and it promotes a really lovely business model that is partially why so many of the big games coming out suck big donkey dicks.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Citadel was obviously an ending epilogue though which got shoehorned into being set during the war despite it not making any sense.

The Citadel DLC was the only 100% for fun just goofing around DLC, and it turned out the tone worked better than what most of the games were. That DLC was basically playing an 80s action movie with the mass effect characters.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Looked good. I'm not hyped, but I am a bit more than cautiously optimistic. The combat looked like another big upgrade.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

It looks a lot like Dragon Age Inquisition in terms of structure. A lot.

I'm actually okay with this, mainly because the combat in ME has always been way more fun than in any dragon age game. The problem with having MMO style combat in MMO mechanics land is suddenly you're just playing a lovely single player mmo. It honestly reminded me more of borderlands than anything else from the little bit we saw, just without the bullet sponge problem.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Just wait and see.

This coming from you is loving lol

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Girl Ryder is weird looking. I thought everything else looked cool. Also, as much as I dig the concept of going to a new and unexplored galaxy, it's pretty loving dumb that you're going to hub worlds that seem to be heavily populated by the milky way species. Wouldn't it make more sense if they were kind of sparse

yes, we saw one outpost in like 5 minutes of gameplay in a trailer, so that means they're basically everywhere

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

hampig posted:

Uninvolved fetch quests weren't even the main problem, the problem was wide open (very well crafted and pretty) areas with nothing in them. Just empty except for maybe some plants and bears or something.

I think it'll all depend on how fun driving the nomad is. If it's fun to just go offroading and bouncing off of mountains it'd be miles better than "walk around a lot"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

MEA might be a good game, it might be a big fail. Not sure why it's so lol for me to say that as I liked the first 2 quite a lot which is why the 3rd pissed me off so much.

Also there were a ton of indoor areas that looked nice in the video.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

1-800-A-Buff-Gay-Dude's "Lock of the Week":

Game will have tight MP where you can hoot and holler with your bros for hours, but the microtransaction poo poo will go way too far compared to the perfect setup it from last time because industry trends with this poo poo have changed in the 5 years since.

The SP will be total poo poo that combines the worst of ME3 with a bunch of the bad parts of the new Dragon Age game. There will be a new Kai Leng.

Yeah you're right, you're really all about giving the game a shot and not dismissing it out of hand.

Also for the record I agree with don't preorder it, but that's because you shouldn't preorder anything ever.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mymla posted:

The best thing about preordering video games is that it makes nerds on the internet really mad game publishers shittier and shittier.

Unironically agree with this change, btw. The new lows we're going to see with preorder culture are going to be magnificent.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

VJeff posted:

Going out of their way to show multiple sync kills seems like a big ol' middle finger to anybody who played ME3 multi a lot. Like, "Remember all the fun you had with those Banshees? Yeah that's still in."

Hot take: Sync kills were actually cool because it made some enemies actually dangerous instead of just bigger hitboxes with more hp. Lag problems could make them unbearable, for sure, but for single player if you got sync killed it was 100% your fault.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol this isn't people's problem with the ME3 ending

tbf at this point if you're still complaining this hard about ME3's ending the problem had to have been it killed your dog or something. It was bad but who actually cares this much?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There are people in here defending it my friend

They're defending it because you're being such a giant rear end in a top hat about the whole thing. If you stopped talking about it everyone else probably would too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

this is the most unbelievable thing about mass effect 3's ending

The most unbelievable thing about it was people spending real money to send cupcakes in 3 different colors to the bioware offices because they were just that angry about a video game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Ah good thing we stopped discussing the ending that destroyed the series and is responsible for the ridiculous premise of the new game so we could get right back to discussing NPC underwear and how cool it is she's sexually aggressive towards the PC.

The fact that you care about how they "destroyed a series" is loving hilarious. Let it go.

euphronius posted:

Was some new gameplay released recently .

there was, and it was pretty baller

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I didn't write this but I agree with it

Holy poo poo this is loving terrible, why would you admit to agreeing with that? Like I can't even make a joke about how you probably hate 80s action movies because they make jokes in them or whatever because that poo poo was among the dumbest poo poo I have ever read.

To put it in terms you might understand: that quote was worse than ME3's ending.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

nah i picked mages

I really don't get why anyone would do this

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The one I remember the most is Alistair glomming all over your female Warden for the entirety of the game if you were just nice to people in general. Bioware really wants you to have virtual sex with their characters.

The best part of dragon's dogma was showing up to fight the dragon and he's kidnapped who he thinks is your love interest. There's almost no hint of it even being a system in the game and the game defaults your partner to being the underage princess, but if you spend a lot of time in a shop he might kidnap that NPC instead, and having the dragon offer you his deal and dramatically reveal the fat general store NPC as your love is the funniest loving thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

When I played through ME1 the second time I gave myself this hideous yellow suit of armor with an obscene amount of shields and a rifle that one shot anything in the game and just turned on speed in the mako levels. Flying off the side because you ran too fast was funny. It also made the final fight with Saryn hilarious because he'd say something, get shot, have a cutscene, get shot, have a cutscene, get shot, die in cutscene.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

hampig posted:

It sucked because he actually did seem pretty dangerous in the DA2 expansion when he's introduced, so it's not like they don't know how to do it. I do wonder sometimes if the key to video game villains is 'less is more'. Antagonists that are barely fleshed out like Imshael, Harbinger, or the Shadow Broker all seem more formidable than the Saren or Corypheus types who pop up like saturday morning cartoon villains to thwart you.

Those guys are really good villians for the same reason Moriarty in the first season of sherlock was really good. You don't see them very often, and in some cases you don't even know who they are, but you're still threatened by them via a layer of their people. It's more terrifying to know that someone out there is threatening you and you don't even know who they are, like the shadow broker, or that just the aftereffects of what someone is doing are life threatening, like with harbinger.

Saren was actually a pretty good villain, though, because you think "wow this guy's kind of an idiot" after awhile, but then you get to the end of the game and realize he's just a puppet for someone who's way scarier but wouldn't understand the intricacies of how society works, which is why Saren seemed like such an idiot.

Cory was fatally flawed, though, because he didn't win enough. The saturday morning cartoon villain thing is what happens when you have an ever present but never victorious villain. It's one of the reasons there's always a point in every final fantasy where the bad guy wins decisively, in spite of the heroes being there. Sephiroth was super edgelord and dumb and crazy, but he was never not threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Watching the series get progressively more and more human centric and human primacist was extremely lame. The feeling in ME1 of being this small little trailblazer for a scrub race was nifty but it eventually became generic space macho human setting 9001.

I thought they wrote themselves into that when your spectre status is revoked at the start of ME2 because of cerberus's involvement with you. Also you tell them to gently caress off.

To be honest I'm still not sure what killing shepard in the beginning of ME 2 actually accomplished other than checking off the jesus checklist box for "resurrection"