Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

haha the geth are the remnant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

i'm just wondering how they built an array from three mass relays

probably the same way we build telescopes on earth with separate lenses hundreds to thousands of miles apart: lots of computer work

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

jokes are against my religion

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh good we can drink in this one, too. Wonder where you'll wake up if you do too many shots.

in the future, all the booze is non-alcholic

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

gmo-free companions only

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Alan Is More Upset posted:

That launch trailer sure is the new poo poo. Also, peep the twitter feed with everyone bitching about male vs female protagonist screen time.

make sara the mandatory player character

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

A couple of interviews said if you change Ryder's first name all that happens is that people stop referring to you by it. Keep Scott/Sarah and NPCs will occasionally use your first name.

i'm glad they're doing that

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

not in my mass effect

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

poisonpill posted:

*Daisy Rider puts six bullets through the same hole on target*
"Gee, Daisy! You sure are swell!"
"Thank you kindly, Drack, but you ain't so bad ya'll-self!"
*Boss Kett seethes*
"As long as I'm the Cluster Commissioner in the great Galaxy of Andromeda, you two are gonna rot in the penitentiary. Cuff them!"

when do we get our space western

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Dexo posted:

I mean it *kinda* makes sense. And probably why they limited it to one cluster

I mean Humans were the only sapient race in their cluster until they found the mass relays and were able to explore other clusters and make their way to the galactic stage. Considering they seemingly don't have Relays to make galaxy wide travel quick as hell in Andromeda.

It's not exactly a satisfying answer but welp.

yeah but, wouldn't the number of space-faring species in the milky way be artificially low both due to the relays linking every system together, and the reaper's regular murder-sprees?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Dexo posted:

Keep in mind. The only reason any of the Milky way races were able to meet was was because the Reapers essentially designed it that way.

Any race that was able to get some level of space travel was eventually able to find prothean(and their forerunners etc etc) tech and use it.

This galaxy seemingly has no such thing. So species could be more isolated than the Milky Way Races were who were all designed to funnel to one spot.

i must not have explained myself correctly
i'm saying the number of intelligent species in a stellar cluster could be artificially low in the milky way for exactly those reasons, without the relays to allow far away species to settle and mess up planet ecologies or the reapers to wipe out older species, a smaller region of space could support the development of a higher number of unique space-faring critters

yeah you're right the real reason is money and development focus, but that's the boring answer

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the menu to hire and equip strike teams seems to have permanently broken on me

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

Don't you have a top-of-the-line custom implant already, which is how SAM should able to interface with you? Maybe it's already Biotic-capable.

of all the writing issues in the game, this is at least one place where they did their homework setting things up, i think
mom ryder designed biotic implants for a living before helping dad ryder make sam's chip, and she huffed so much eezo it killed her. so i don't think it's a stretch that either of her kids would have the ability even if they never trained and that using sam would let them tap in to if they wanted

sam experiencing everything you do seems like it'd make it awkward to get down with anyone though

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

didn't they given the krogan a bunch of ex-rachni planets after winning the war and they went, no, we need yours too actually

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the new hip thing is death of the audience

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Crabtree posted:

So is there a way to make sure you don't lock yourself into a Reyes romance if you were nice to him too much? I mean, I'll let myself get drunk at the party if I need to, but I was just trying to be kind but apparently I hearted too much and am heading towards a gay romance I'm not interested in.

sorry, you're canonically gay now

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Didn't they cut a Salarian squadmate? Probably him/her.

Or the Batarian Ark :black101:

i'm imagining what that would look like in the loadout ui. would they have you awkwardly scroll down to to your seventh squaddie hiding under the screen?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

for some reason i have no problem looting enemy corpses in dragon age but having to do it in this game makes me irrationally angry
maybe it's because i have to press and hold the button instead of grab-and-go
maybe because the button is also the melee button so if i miss i go charging off into the distance attacking thin air

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

one of the upcoming ones is going to be written by N.K. Jemisin who is more than legit

more then legal -> extra legal -> illegal!!!!!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, he was the most boring character in ME so it wasn't even a choice as to who got a nuclear suntan.

Something that annoys me with the Bioware romances is that sex is just the endgoal of the questline and a tickbox for "now you're together. Here's the game end right afterwards". I kinda think that should be moved to somewhere mid-game, and stick a few fluff quests to go hang out together afterwards. Or just some extra conversations in the Nomad/elevator/roaming the hallways of a hostile planet.

go the dragon quest v route

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Mass Effect: Andromeda becomes an early access game after launch

hrm, for once he's not wrong

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the nomad needs guns

e: just duct-tape some assault rifles to the sides, bam

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Drax v. Wrex also highlights this. As does Peebee v. Liara.

you're trying to kill some of the thread regulars with these posts aren't you

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

does it drive anyone else crazy the sound is centered on the camera's position and not your character? i frequently have a hard time listening to people standing right next to me because the camera gets locked into a weird position that puts them out of the field of view, to give one example

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Error 404 posted:

The idea of it doesnt bug me, but the way the volume drops off so sharply if you turn or move 6 inches in any direction does.

i hate it so much

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Pick posted:

Is there DLC yet?

no, just the one patch with promises of more fixes to come and a return to silence

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Tradition tells us almost nothing of the Macwalters save for the horrible tricolor platforms they would build from the severed heads of their enemies. We found one of these a few hours ago, thirty feet high and a hundred feet across, each skull arranged with a mad precision that was terrifying to behold.

Many of the skulls were human, or at least humanoid, but among these were others which were certainly not, whose shapes and curves I have tried to forget ever since. In the center of the platform, far above our heads, rose the ancient battle standard of the Macwalters.

i did not click on this thread expecting to see a Myth: The Fallen Lords reference

Pattonesque posted:

well, speaking of that, here's an interview with the former Fallen London guy who's writing the next DA

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-19-writing-the-next-dragon-age

what was will be, what will be was
i liked his little guest starting in Stellaris, sounds like they have him doing another kind of guest writer role? that seems... more strange for an RPG then it did for Stellaris

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i think me1 did the romance track best in that it tied into plot progression scenes but they hosed it up by effectively pushing you into one just by being nice to people. with me2 they clearly divorced the plot from the character romance stuff but kept the same basic progression and made it this weird thing. even as bioware has gotten better at avoiding the whole 'culminates in sex' deal they haven't really revisited that 'system' since, i don't think?

i think if you're going to make character relationships, romantic or otherwise, such a major selling point, it shouldn't be so divided, both mechanically and plotwise, from the rest of the game. the loyalty mission concept is getting there, but is still too seperated from the rest of the game, imo

a primate posted:

I wonder if we didn't get any cool vocal talent like Martin Sheen because they showed some actors the script and they went :yikes:

you know,
whatever happened with that contest to have two fans voice some random shmucks?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only romance that Obsidian wrote was the jealousy of Atton Rand over Mical in KOTOR 2, and it was written more like a compulsion on Atton's part than unrequited love. Because it tied into the Exile's unconscious influence over people. And because KOTOR 2 was well written.

how quickly we forget neverwinter nights 2 and the elf lady who fell in love with your character while stalking you as a child

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

they're spreading themselves too thin by trying to do the AAA appeal to everyone to maximize profit dealio and they're afraid of taking risks, 'don't like a character? no worries, try hanging out with one of these 19 other ones'
a smaller core cast with a tighter focus would probably be a better investment of their budget quality-wise, the problem is that in this market that pretty much guarantees chiseling down everything outside their perceived core-demograph which never ends well for anyone not a straight white guy
it would be nice if more bioware style companion-focused games existed so there wasn't as much pressure for one studio to serve all demographics at all times

i'm very interested to see how things work out with obsidian on PoE2 and their system that'll 'only lead to romance if it makes sense for that character.' which just speaks of an entirely different approach compared to how bioware's gone about things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There were only 6 regular squadmates this time around. That's the fewest in number since Mass Effect 1 and they still sucked at it.

six squadmates, the engineer guy, science girl, criminal man, i think you also gently caress the museum alien lady? then there's also your asari doctor and babyfrog pilot as non-romancable, non-squad dudes that all got a big chunk of writing resources. so that's 11 there and i felt like they all got about the same level of focus. i'll admit though, i kind of stopped playing like halfway through the game, so my assessment of where all the resources doesn't have the full picture

when i'm say 'small cast' i'm thinking like, maybe three or four at most 'core characters'

though i will say inquisition's cast was loving massive and it did okay writing-wise even if things got a little thin on the ground