Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eej posted:

Did they remove Renegade/Paragon because the average gamer was afraid to push the red option? I felt pretty "nuanced" already being a space rear end in a top hat who was also not a space racist.

Nothing wrong about being a speciecist, humanity all the way bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Teron D Amun posted:

can't wait for the inevitable not-Geth to join our cause and call us Ryder-Pathfinder

Seems like your guy actually has a set first name this time around. Though I guess that might just be your sibling.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure the video said they brought in every species on the nexus or whatever and then you have the four ark ships, each one from one race (which obviously seems to be Turians, Asari, Salarians, Humans), so there really shouldn't be much grounds to worry that Krogan, Quarians or whatever won't show up in the game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Mark Meer would have made a poor femshep I agree

Male Shepard sounds much more dumb and naive often, it's both hilarious and endearing. It's better if you take things much less seriously.

I laughed out loud at a line in ME3 about the Rachni queen being back and helping the reapers
"B-But the queen promised she would go away and stay hidden or be destroyed!"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

Meer’s voice just doesn’t work for a lot of the Renegade options (somewhere I saw someone describe it as sounding like “The dad from the Brady Bunch trying to sound like a badass”), but if you play ManShep as an amiable boyscout it’s fine. He nails a lot of the sarcastic line too.

Also, for some weird reason, ManShep’s voice works really well if you give him the most grizzled face possible. It’s kind of strange, because in real life Meer’s kind of a pretty boy-looking fellow.

I played him as a renegade on my first run and later as well. I liked it, though I also found it funny.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Agree completely. Meer sounded far too nice to be a renegade. You have to balance it out with a grizzled face like this one then it clicks:

You want to stick to darker skin tones to really bring out the terminator glowing bits. This femship is further along the renegade thing but the terminator bits look more painted on (which they are, the darker skin just blends it better).

Angry, bitter, tired femshep was the best one in ME2.

I was one of those crazy people who played through ME2 about a dozen times with a variety of characters. Only did a single run of ME3 and had no interest in a second playthrough outside of playing the Leviathan DLC which was ok.

Agree, gruff-looking and dark skin is the way to go with manshep.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm weirded out by the protagonist being called Ryder.

Keep thinking of Ryder from San Andreas, smoking sherm, being an rear end in a top hat and looking like Eazy-E.

Anyway this game kind of looks like crap.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

I would pay good money for the San Andreas crew to replace the Andromeda crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOQQTBCcTM

The true Ryder. Hell, watching this, the way the characters move and talk in SA is like 10x better and more lifelike than anything I've seen from ME:A.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, maybe this will make good material for another low effort screenshot LP of a sexy bioware game, like the one on DA2 that got gassed in progress some 5 years ago. Too bad the pictures are gone from that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Darker. Sexier. Better.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

Ah, BioWare is taking the Paradox approach. That explains this.

Well.. Paradox games are basically just maps and interface and rather simple event coding with more or less hardcoded underlying coded mechanics, improving upon them is going to be a lot easier than an AAA monstrosity such as this.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I loved DA:I, thought 2 was garbage and Origins was great.
Not interested at all in the Witcher, I tried playing all of them and I don't get it. I realize it's not a popular opinion though so don't bring it up much.
ME1 was my favorite, I think they ruined single player combat after that turning it into Gears of War. At this point I'm just mostly interested in new ME multiplayer.

Witcher 3 is a great game. You should definitely check that out if you're into well thought out fantasy settings and poo poo. Only thing I don't really like about the Witcher is how every "sorceress" is a super hot 20-something babe that you bang, it's kind of silly and pulpy (though I guess that could be the appeal, I guess it's also quite possible that that's what the Witcher books are fantasy pulp). I also quite liked DA:I for that matter, though the open world elements do become grating if you go full on obsessive "must complete every little sidequest".

Of the Mass Effects I would probably say that ME2 scored the best balance between story and gameplay, being good in both. Of the three I had the most fun with ME3's combat, and there were some characters I enjoyed (mostly Javik). ME1, though janky in spots, really sold me on the theme and feel of the world and the effort put into lore and techno babble, felt really sci-fi. The best thing though was the soundtrack, it's kind of incomprehensible to me that they went away from the synth heavy soundtrack for 2 and 3 which had much more orchestral soundtracks (Guess they wanted it to be more "cinematic" and "epic"). It also by far had the best villain.

I just never really gave a poo poo about Andromeda, basically just demolishing a great sci-fi setting with ME3 and then setting this new one in a new location in another location was just really uninteresting to me, when what was really interesting about the ME universe was the lived in universe in the background and the different empires and species and such as well as humanity ambitiously gaining more and more power. Came back here when I remembered release was getting close and find some funny faces and gifs. Game looks to be pretty bad, I'd say. Won't have to pay to play it though as my sister is a huge ME fan and preordered it a long time ago and said I could borrow her Origin account, so yay I guess.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

:same:

But detective noire is a major influence for the Witcher novels, and the games like the low fantasy deconstruction route, so sorceresses are hot because A) Geralt is a jaded private eye monster slayer who needs a femme fatale and B) if you had the magic power to make yourself hot and young you would.

You know actually thinking it about it and typing it out I kind of withdraw my criticsm to that. I mean it's kind of sleazy, but really thinking about it as a fantasy detective noire kind of pulp fiction story it makes perfect sense for it to be sleazy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Norns posted:

Wonder how many people will gently caress in Cyberpunk 2077

New CD Projekt Red game?

Bolow posted:

I haven't read like any of this thread but this probably got asked like 3000 posts ago.

Why the gently caress are there Krogan colonists if the genophage is still a thing when they leave?

Gotta have Krogan.
By the way, I used to know a chick that looked like Wrex.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

My Shepard's balls were the bluest.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is it just me or does it seem like all the characters are like super tiny short people?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So my sister bought this game and has run into a bug or something that makes her unable to launch it, it just launches a black window kind of thing thing. She has been looking into fixes for it, and she does not have CorsairUtility installed which some seem to pinpoint as the cause of the bug, and she says she has tried alt+enter to run in window mode and nothing happens (is there another way to set the game to launch in windowed mode?) another fix that has worked for some it seems, she also says that disabling the firewall did nothing.

This is supposedly a pretty widespread bug and there appear to be various fixes, though none have worked for her yet, could there be another kind of problem? Is it one of those stupid bugs that has to do with letters in your Windows account name perhaps? Could it have anything to do with having DirectX 12 installed rather than 11 (I don't think this should be a problem, but I dunno). Just seems weird.

If anyone has any suggestions or experiences with solving this bug I'd be grateful, especially as I can't really look into the issue first hand as she's 300 miles away from me which limits my ability to personally try things to solve the issue. I suppose I could try to log into her Origin account and see if there's any bugs on my end, but then again I don't know how helpful that would be especially if it turns out it just runs fine on my computer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Aren't Angarans Australian and Protheans Jamaican accented? Or am I totally loving up accents.

Javik's voice actor is originally Nigerian or something I think. And he was definitely doing an African (gonna put my money on Nigerian) accent, didn't sound Jamaican at all really.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Ah that's right. I didn't really play the Javik DLC.

Javik was easily the best character in ME3.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Maybe Bioware shouldn't have made the good parts of ME3 payed DLC or something???

Truth. Javik is still the best though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

precision posted:

I thought it was supposed to sound like Afrikaans, which is admittedly the most confusing accent in the universe (same one that Donovan Hock had)

He's not doing a South African accent, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They're doing Dragon Age 4?