Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Never trust marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Reapers will not pursue the Andromeda initiative because they were all destroyed, controlled, or synthesized.

The Lone Badger posted:

Are they still going to do Paragon/Renegade? I hope they leave that as Shepard's 'thing' and give Ryder a different dichotomy. Kirk/Spock or something.

Paragon/Renegade system is out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only problem with the thermal clip system was that I would run out of ammo for my sniper rifle and have to use a different gun sometimes instead. I hated that part.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, Mass Effect 3 did have a whole entire mission about where Cerberus was getting their troops.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have decided to be unwarrantedly optimistic instead of unwarrantedly pessimistic, about the quality of this sequel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Guns And Conversation is a very good video game genre. I feel like these guys have the guns part under control, and the quality of their conversation has historically been inversely proportional to the stakes.

Neither gun nor conversation happens during the dream sequences, not even a lousy puzzle as a consolation prize, and that's why they're bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

all I wanna do is shoot/stab badguys with my space/fantasy bros and then go back to the ship/castle and ask them how they FELT about it

the ultimate videogame

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's absolutely possible to go from the conversation with Sovereign and have an amazing payoff for it. Just take the Ur-Quan, for example.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Reapers could've been pretty much exactly the same as the Kohr-Ah: paranoid immortals who compulsively exterminate all other life forms before they can ever become a threat to them. The mass relay network and the Citadel remain traps to bring all the most advanced species together in one place so they can be Reaped most efficiently, and they appear in a cycle because they calculated exactly how long they can afford to wait (Reaping is hard work) or maybe they were just busy Reaping someplace else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have been wanting another Mass Effect-like game for a while, and this "Andromeda" thing looks like it's going to be a lot like Mass Effect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have long since forgiven Mass Effect 3 for ending badly. It was fun being mad about it with everybody else, but in the end, that one really terrible cringingly desperate advertisement for the Extended Cut was right: it was the journey, not the destination.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Looks like you wear civilian clothes in settlements rather than armor.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scanning is my favorite thing to do, so I'm glad that Ryder has a scanner.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't remember the last time I saw so many people imagining a game and then hating it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Yes, and she, of course, also has a fancy tech visor over her eye.

Do you have something against fancy tech visors?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Not really, but it's pretty cheap. Remember Garrus? Look, your new NPC has a similar eye thing!

I have no interest in squad members who aren't looking through a HUD at all times

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The aliens are not going to be alien enough to satisfy many posters in this thread, and what's more, they will use some human-like gender signifiers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What you see is what you get. They actually do look like that. It's just that each species focuses on the parts that matter most to them. So they've got human snouts, salarian torsos, turian crests, hanar pigmentation, volus bank accounts, krogan headbutting abilities, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mass Effect 3 is dumb, but some parts of it are dumb in a good way. Of course, Mass Effect at its smartest was only ever smart by video game standards.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Question: can we finally just let this go?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why do you think they're doing a soft reboot, if not to get a do-over of the things that didn't go over well?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

marktheando posted:

Ah I forgot Worf was in ME2. That's what's missing from Andromeda- shameless Star Trek stunt casting.

Star Trek stunt casting is the best kind of stunt casting.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hmm...100% of my posts in this thread so far have been about sexy robots. I gotta talk about something else

Look: I didn't like how they handled EDI in ME3, but I also can't think of a reason why all robots shouldn't be sexy by default.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The paragon/renegade system was really bad and I think Bioware needs to stop doing binary morality systems. They just aren't good at it. Investing points in persuade and intimidate skills in ME1 based on your paragon/renegade level was bonkers.

I have good news for you about Andromeda, assuming they haven't told a Lie.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JawKnee posted:

all I want is a game where I actually have to read stuff and think about what to say rather than mash left/right trigger every time the mouth-noises stop

Try Ace Attorney.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cerberus has a very specific form of incompetence where all of their insane science projects work flawlessly but then murder everyone involved shortly after activation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where do mods even come from?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The knowledge that there is no reward guarantees that I will do it next time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was overall good, but I disliked that it meant that, as an Infiltrator, I'd have to occasionally use weapons other than my sniper rifle. What the hell is the use of giving me a cool gun like the Widow and then not even letting me fire it ten times?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Start calling her Peanut Butter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's just price discrimination.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Price discrimination is, on balance, a good thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll play it slowly sometime near launch if there are no major red flags from the early reviews, and probably avoid this thread while doing it, because it will probably be very busy and full of posts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do Reapers have cloacas?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best Bioware character was lifted without alteration from Outlaws of the Marsh. They didn't even change his name.

edit: Jade Empire 2 when

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

peabnut bubber

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope it's less dumb, but I won't be disappointed if it's more dumb.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I played Mass Effect 3 tonight. I'm not sure why. I didn't remember much about it. Somehow, though, I do have a DLC pack that gives you a sniper rifle that fires exploding bullets, so maybe the old ME1 craziness is not as forgotten as we think.

This is a pretty wild game. A lot of the writing is dumb, dumb, dumb - the main plot hops from one oo-rah war-game cliche to the next with a disorienting lack of coherence - but as you step away from the critical path, the mawkishness gives way to some genuine pathos, and the characters get a chance to show their detail. And I've still got Tuchanka ahead of me. It's still got a lot of the same old stiff animations (I half-expect to see that one gesture from Jade Empire), but at other times they clearly really stepped up their game in terms of spectacle and presentation, with the direction of individual scenes achieving a clarity that's often missing from their earlier work.

And, of course, the game design is pretty much Goldilocks. I can't find any negatives. We all remember how the character-building in ME1 was bloated to the point of tedium, then they trimmed so much fat in ME2 that they nicked the bone - but it's the little things, too. More dialog has been liberated from trees, the environments are compact, and they even managed to make scanning interesting by adding an element of risk to it. The level design both plays better and looks more natural than before. Even though the War Score system ended up being meaningless in the end, along the way it's pretty cool seeing a paragraph or two about the outcome of virtually every single decision or side objective in every single mission.

I said it when it was new, and I'll say it again now - despite the huge, obvious problems that everybody hates for good reason, Mass Effect 3 contains some of Bioware's very best work. So I got a pretty good feeling about Andromeda.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Jacob was trash because he was dull as heck and his VA sucked

What was his defining characteristic? Was it his rock hard abs? Cause I cant think of much else

His deal was being calm, diplomatic, and well-adjusted. Doesn't make him an interesting conversational partner, but every scene he's in, he's there keeping things on track and deescalating. He also ends up being the perfect example of how Cerberus tried to fool Shepard into thinking they were on the level by assigning every decent person and/or total schmuck in their entire mad science terrorism syndicate to the Normandy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Serf posted:

There is no way this is true except in the purely technical sense.

You've got a space car this time, so it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Performance improvements are usually the last thing to go into software before its release.