Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Played 2 hours so far on my computer. Running Ultrawide at 2560x1080 with all graphics options maxed, and it runs just fine. The game is good and fun and I don't see any issues with it. Can't tell if people are just bitching to bitch, or what, but the game is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool, can you tell me more. what you think? not being a baiting dick, genuinely curious.

I don't know, to me the game just "feels" good to play. It's smooth, it looks good, and I think the shooting feels nice. I'm only just after the part where you become pathfinder, so my opinion is kinda nebulous. But my initial gut reaction is that after everything negative i've seen, I just don't see any of it. It reminds me of the first eden prime mission in the beginning of ME1 redone with the Frostbite engine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, watching the streams, the whole beginning reminds me of a more disjointed first act of mass effect 1. good to know it plays well at least. i am sure i will like it enough. how is the character customization?

It's pretty in depth, and it didn't take me but about 5 minutes to make a character who looked fine and actually fits the voice better. If I had any complaint, it's that the codex entries aren't voice anymore. Know what would be cool? If Shepard voiced them, and depending on what gender you choose Shepard to be, that's the gender that voices the codex.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One positive thing I've not seen mention of is they brought back film grain. I like it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I feel like i'm losing my mind listening to some of the complaints in this game. Namely: Pathfinder. This game gives more pathos and meaning to your character's title than any other Bioware game I can think of. The Hyperion just had a handful of folks who were supposed to find a new home world wake up, and do that. Habitat 7 was a bust. Without a home, we can't wake up the rest of the 20,000 people on board. We get to the Nexus and they're equally hosed. They didn't sit on their rear end either, they put down a serious scouting and operations center on the closest viable planet: Eos. They sent satallites out to other planets. They had a mutiny and all the leadership fell apart and the Krogans left. They have a new enemy that won't talk and seems to out right hate them. This has been going on for 14 months. When you show up and they realize you are Pathfinder, several of the current leadership tell you to gently caress right off. Only a handful of lowbies show you respect, and they have good justifications to do so. You were apart of the team designed to find a homeworld, and everyone's survival depends on that. Now through nepotism you're the leader of that team and some folks like it because it gives hope, some folks hate it because it takes hope away. There are 3 other Pathfinder teams, all lost. There was supposed to be a team from each ark. With all the other arks missing, the viable planets not being viable, food supplies not running low per se, but they are limited, and now the Hyperion is powering the Nexus, which also won't last forever. When you showed up their drat lights were turned off because they couldn't pay the bill. You are the ONE dude who can fix this based on your resume, and you got the position through nepotism. Again, some folks hate it. Some folks, rightfully so, see you as the savior. They want to believe everything will be ok, that they'll live, and that there is reason to hope. Of ALL the things ME:A might not get right, THIS IS NOT one of them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My hot take so far being about 11 hours in: it's real good. Every complaint leveled at the game has fairly valid points, it just sucks to read gamers and reviewers opinions like this is new to Bioware games. I'm replaying baldurs gate 2, KOTOR, and mass effect 1 at the same time for the past few months, and the writing and characters and animations are no worse than they ever were. And certainly not enough to detract from the experience. Wandering around the first vault on Eos was loving awesome and the first time in the entire ME series I thought: "that is loving alien and way beyond us." Multiplayer is also good and fun. If your problem with the game is that you're too busy looking at slow mo gifs and worried about how trans characters are represented, congratulations! The game isn't the problem, you are!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

doctor 7 posted:

Dude come on you can't compare KOTOR animations and Andromeda and go "eh they were never that good".

KOTOR they had no facial animations, Andromeda the facial animations do not match what they are doing. It's loving weird and off-putting because you're looking at someone who's face is happy but they are sad like some psychopath.

When I made that point I was referencing more the writing than the animation. But both so far are just fine in this game. Witcher 3 blows it out of the water on both fronts, but I knew that going in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing I'm digging so far is the much smaller scope of the game. It feels like I'm making a tangible difference to the world because there's a total of what, 100k people or so from the Milky Way who made the trip. Shepard blew up three times that man people, in a 90 minute dlc.

I also like how the game is giving attention to the fact the Ryder is inexperienced. He's not the saviour and had to prove himself to everyone. Remember that epic speech Shepard gives every one on the Normandy when he first gets the ship from Anderson? Yes Ryder does NOT command that level of respect and it's noticeable. Some characters look like they actually pity Ryder.

So far I'm loving the world design. Just got to Havarl and this place is gorgeous! The Angaran resistance enclave you first visit looks beautiful as well.

I dig how the characters are understated. Except maybe Pee Bee. But the rest seem a little more like normal people than the grand cast of heroes from the previous games. That might not be to some people's liking but I'm feeling it. One thing Bioware had never really been is understated, it's neat to seem them try here.

I'm playing in 2560*1080 on a 35" ultra wide monitor with graphics on ultra, and game runs smooth as butter.

Lastly I love how multiplayer is integrated into the game. I like that it affects single player but doesn't take away from it this time if you don't play. Being able to jump into strike team missions from the Tempest is also the tits.

That's all for now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Two things so far made me laugh out loud:

1. Ryder talking to Sam about shutting down kett facility: "Sam, is there an off switch for this horror factory?" Not so great on paper but the delivery is great.

2. Gil's poetry. Nuff said.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Frabba posted:

All of his lines in that scene seem to be great. My Ryder went renegade as gently caress on that Kett.

I saved the people then hopped on the "shotgun to the face" renegade interrupt. Ryder is a stone cold killer when he wants to be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Frabba posted:

Same, though the line beforehand helped set the table for me. I actually saved the clip because I ~really~ enjoyed Ryder in this scene.

Significant spoilers are contained within. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYRGalTCFyg

The way he gets in the other guys face while quietly saying how he's going to gently caress their poo poo up is as good as any Renegade scene in the original trilogy, imo.

poo poo that's awesome! I chose the bottom right dialogue there and it was still great, but drat! Also I had Cora with me so she was where Drack is, holding a gun and smirking like a bandit making that dude poo poo his pants.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

widespread posted:

I think I realized that getting all the sidequesting done is both rewarding and completely loving boring in ME1.

Do I really need to do them or will I eventually hit the cap in no time.

The cap is 60 regardless. You can grind all the quests and end up around level 59 tops, I think. Only way to get to sixty in one play through, possibly, is do all side quests and kill all thresher maws on foot since you get more XP. You don't need NG+ to unlock the highest level. But be satisfied with you first run as after level 45 or so it's easy peasey and you'll have maxed out gear by 55.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think it's fair to compare this game with previous ME titles as well as knock those previous titles. Why? Because everyone knocking on this game is doing so for the same flaws the previous title had. If this game is bad, so we're ME 1-3. But this game isn't bad. Neither were 1-3. Everyone's too busy patting themselves on their backs putting this game down and acting like ME2 was Bioware's peak.

Personally I love the original trilogy. And this game is extremely my poo poo too as it's more of what I love from the series.

There are a few things to know going in, real differences that matter to some. And it isn't the writing, dialogue, or animations.

1. It's semi open world now and comes with all the grand vistas and tedious side activity that all that entails.

2. Combat feels much better but now you cannot really control your companions in combat. I'd say it equals out but I do miss being able to tell my dudes when to use poo poo.

If you were looking forward to the first Mass Effect when Bioware was talking up how big and diverse the planets were and how you'd travel a galaxy, etc, then it stands to reason you'd like this.

To me, this game is what I pictured in my head back before I played the first game and was looking forward to it. It's awesome!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DO IT TO IT posted:

I don't understand how the mineral computer or whatever on the Nomad works? Is it just a way to loot nodes without getting out of the car? Maybe I just haven't hit a tutorial for it yet or something, I'm still very early - working on activating all the towers or whatever on Eos.

When you're near a minerals rich area (denoted on your map when you setup a forward post) you drive around the area with your scanner on. You'll see lines go up in one or more of the four mineral columns as you drive over them. Then press whatever button to drop a mining drone over the area and voila!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GenericOverusedName posted:

Change the Quality to Custom ya dork, like every other game that has ever had adjustable graphics with premade low medium high settings ever made

That's true for this game, but every other game before you can change any slider any time and the preset automatically adjusts to custom. Andromeda is a little more obtuse in that regard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

widespread posted:

Wait does this mean you can't just automatically go to custom whenever you diddle with a graphic option?

Yes. You have to set graphics to custom first, then you can change sliders. Most games you can change sliders anytime and the preset changes to custom in its own.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ryder's face after tasting the "tall moose." loving classic!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm starting to wonder what the reaction to this game would've been had The Witcher 3 never come out. I think this is one of Bioware's best games so far, but it's getting poo poo on for reasons that could've applied to most of Bioware's games. Dragon Age Inquisition is especially similar and that thread was quite positive lost release. I don't think it's a coincidence that it was released six months before The Witcher 3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lightning Knight posted:

If I had to pin it down to a short list of reasons why people are displeased with what is more or less a pretty good, but not great, game by modern standards, I'd say that:

* Other games, like the Witcher series, have come out with more consistently good writing while Bioware seems to have become less consistently good at writing.
* The gameplay is a definite improvement, with the jump packs and stuff, but 3D fluid movement has been shooter standard for years now and games like Titanfall just eat Andromeda's lunch in the fluidity of combat department.
* People are implicitly probably not happy that the same old goofy writing/voice acting/animation issues are present now that the old gen consoles aren't around to be an excuse for them, and that Mass Effect is on a new, shinier engine.
* Mass Effect 3's class-based, RNG-focused skinner box multiplayer with a cooperative horde mode bent was pretty novel and cool at the time but now in 2017 it's pretty old hat. It's still good and fun but so many other games have been doing the same thing.
* Etc.

Honestly I think if this game had come out at the same time in 2015 exactly as it is otherwise it would've been lauded as the first great game of the new generation, but obviously that was never going to happen due to production times and whatnot.

These are good points. And probably why I love the game. When I play a game, I try not to compare it to others or compare it to the game it could have been. I just ask myself, "am I enjoying this?" And that's enough. What saddens me a bit is that Bioware clearly put a lot of time and love into this game. If you strip out the open world content and keep just the main narrative and a modest selection of side quests, you still have a game at least as full of content as ME2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Omg! The "Shepard shuffle" is back in full force. Rhythm less Ryder does the Shepard shuffle while cackling on kadara.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kurtofan posted:

a lady salarian??

A Salady!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Suvi looks like a Chucky doll.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you guys aren't traveling with Drack and Vetra at all times I don't know wtf. They play off each other a lot and are a hilarious team.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I had no idea this thread loving existed. Now I’ll stop posting ME poo poo in the Dragon Age thread.

Edit:

Since I’ll be playing the remaster on PC, here’s my list of demands:

1. 21x9/Ultrawide Support.
2. Minimum 60 FPS especially ME1, which is poorly optimized.
3. Film Grain for ME3, so I don’t need to install an ENB.
4. Full Xbox 360 controller support. There’s mods for PC, but I’d rather it be built in.
5. Proper anti-aliasing that isn’t just post process. Give me TAA which is low cost/high quality and make it not gently caress with shadows in ME1 the way hardware enabled AA currently does.
6. Fix the weird slow-down face glitch that is a repeatable bug in Pinnacle Station.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 15, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m sure it was a real cute inside joke at some point, but yea it’s dumb. I found the thread by looking through the old ME3 thread and found a link. I even Googled “mass effect mega thread something awful” and saw this thread title and thought “ugh, probably a joke thread about video game food and blue space food.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I truly hope that BioWare have the balls to double down on the Andromeda galaxy. Make it 1000 years later; more arks came through with the cool species, and we can expand out of helius cluster so we can meet more andromeda species aside from the Angaran. There is so much drat potential in the new galaxy and I want to see it realized. Just because Andromeda is a mediocre game doesn’t mean the actually premise is poor, I think the premise is awesome.

They can even do more with the Remnant. Again, there’s so much potential there. We already have another Citadel in the Nexus, so it’d still basically be a reboot anyway.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Moola posted:

there really really isn't

How is there no potential in a new galaxy unexplored and with all our old favorite species back in? It becomes no different than the Milky Way at that point and loses the baggage of Shepard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kilus aof posted:

Because the Milky Way is unexplored. And what was explored was mostly not shown in game. Anything that is beyond the characters, Meridian and the angaran can be added more easily to the Milky Way than Andromeda.

Also if Andromeda is so great why bring more Milky Way species?

It’s never that Andromeda was great, it’s that it’s less explored and has more potential. We bring over the other species because 1. That was the original intent and 2. It keeps us rooted in the familiar.

The only way I see the Milky Way working is if it’s like 1,000 years in the future and the mass relays or an alternative are repaired.

But truthfully; I just want a really good game again. I’ll be hoping for something similar to ME2, but will settle for anything nearly as good as DA: I, which I’m a big fan of.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They'll never do it now, but my dream ME4 is a prequel starring Anderson and Saren which ends with Anderson's botched mission that ended his Spectre shot.

That’s literally the plot of the first novel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

i only play the games and eat the sandwiches they can throw all the novels into the sun (or turn them into a game) :colbert:

I actually liked the first few novels. If they’d have redone the fourth book like they said they would, I’d have read it. Apparently that never happened?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

I'd just like a more hopeful, "happy" ME. Which might require it to be a prequel, or fudging some details of the endings

I’m down with this. I really wanted Andromeda to be that game, with hopeful exploration. Instead you just hang out with people who got their earlier.

That said, I’m making the effort to read the three Andromeda novels and while I’m only a small way into Nexus Uprising, I quite enjoy it. I’m enjoying reading about these characters that you meet on the Nexus and seeing how everything fits together.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m fine with the Reapers organic vs synthetic mandate. I look at it that the Reapers aren’t seeing themselves as exterminators, but protectors and Shepards (pun intended) of all organic life, and in their flawed logic believing that scooping up the advanced races every 50,000 years and turning them into a DNA slurry is a fine method of saving/archiving all advanced races while preventing other AI from rising up and preventing galactic life from flourishing. Of course it’s not an actual solution, but I never had a problem believing that the Reapers truly believe it is. Hell, Harbinger is probably super pissed at Shepard because he feels Shepard is hindering their attempts to protect and archive humanity. I’m fine with it. I don’t think there could ever be a satisfying revelation regarding an unknowable force. You either keep it unknowable, which is how’d I’d prefer it, or you explain it so fans can have their reveal.

Were it up to me, there wouldn’t be a discernible “reason” the Reapers do anything. Just show Shep and crew noticing patterns of behavior and postulating, and that’s it. They can still kill Reapers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DarkHorse posted:

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding "

:allears:
God I love that meeting with Sovereign. You talk directly to a Reaper and BioWare managed to keep them frightening and obscure which is not an easy thing to do with dialogue. Harbinger sounded like a kid with a temper tantrum by comparison.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Moola posted:

I hope that was fresh out of the box, otherwise ewwww at all the dried sweat she licked off

Looks like someone at least initialized it and had it setup. Maybe it was hers? Also I don’t care what she licks, she’s not Emily Wong.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That doesn’t look 100% like a Mass Relay. I’d say it’s possible they’re trying to build a new Relay Network in Andromeda.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still don’t see the problem with using Andromeda again. There was nothing wrong with ME:A’s premise, it was the execution that was left wanting. There’s so much you can do there, especially since we’ve only seen one cluster.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Koror 2, especially now with all the cut content mods and workshop support, is head and shoulders above Kotor 1. And Kotor 1 is a classic.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

After the Rachni Wars the Council stopped opening up new Relays which is why the Turians poo poo their pants when humans managed to activate their own relay.

As far as I know the games haven't said anything about the Terminus Systems having a similar policy, so maybe they're still expanding out there.

If I'm not mistaken, the Terminus systems sorta follow the same "don't open new relays" doctrine even if not following Council law. They just wanna chill and be space pirates, not summon Cthuhlu. I liked in ME2 how loving everyone in those systems was like "yea, that relay is scary af, we never use it!" in regards to the collector relay.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

40 hours into my new Andromeda play through, and I’m greatly enjoying it. I find I’m enjoying the Angara more and more. I’m enjoying the party members and Drack is probably my favorite Krogan, even over Wrex. He’s not an rear end in a top hat and him and Jaal bond pretty quick.

I also read the book Nexus Uprising and really enjoyed it. It does a good job of leading into Andromeda and setting up the important characters there. I actually found I couldn’t put the book down because it starts with a red alert emergency, and just keeps escalating. The book has poo poo pressed to 11 almost the whole time, and aside from one possibly minor but super lovely character, everyone’s motives are relatable and there’s really no bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Drone Jett posted:

After reading your “actually, the last season of GoT was good” and “I have faith GRRM will finish the series takes” I can’t decide whether I’m jealous that you live in such a world of child-like wonder or that you’ve taken in so many with this gimmick.

It must be weird seeing someone with his own opinions who also doesn’t like to whine on the internet. Crazy, I know!