Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only thing that worries me about a classless skill system is that every single ability has to be balanced perfectly. Otherwise you get a 'feast or famine' effect where certain skills are always required and other ones will never be chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Trast posted:

I like someone with a Lucio gangtag complaining about balance and something always being needed. :v:

Shits gon git switched to my bae Sombra when she comes out.

Also, the OP really needs to update the beta-signup paragraph to note that it's for PS4/Xbox only, you cant use your PC account to get past one of the pages.

Edit: Nevermind, you have to remove the two extra spots for accounts.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Trast posted:

Good Parts for those just joining us:
Citadel DLC (Lighter atmosphere, good fights, lots fo nods to fans)
Krogan Storyline
Getting to call the Quarians loving assholes
N7 Hoodie for your Shepard
Vega turns out to be a decent character
Shootin' bottles on the Citadel
Thane gets to go out like a badass
Traynor and the importance of dental hygene
Javik

Bad Parts:
Pretty much everything else

I actually enjoyed the end of Legion's storyline. Gave me the feels.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

It's been reported there is no paragon or renegade spectrum. I think it was reported the dialogue is more like Dragon Age Inquisition. Different tones you can use that effect personal relationships rather than your own character skills.

Hoping for a DA2 style "sarcastic" Ryder now, thanks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Well the Mass Effect has already proven it can warp time/space. Lets just go with the anime ending and have all universes occur at once, and now Ryder has to step through all four and experience the different fallouts.

Seriously though, gently caress color endings.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Eej posted:

Patrick Weekes... sorta helped with some cathartic venting.

Yeah you don't need to worry about Nova you can just stick with using Charge as an invulnerability frame move/shield regen while you shotgun blast the poo poo out of everything.

It should target an enemy and punch them with a shockwave radiating out from their body. Now it's even more awesome.

Why punch the ground when you can supercavitate some minion's body?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mymla posted:

DA3 is a good game with some side stuff that's pretty boring but also quite optional.
Lmao if you think a game is ruined because you have the option of running around picking flowers for 30 hours instead of doing the good parts.

No, really, it's a bad game:
-Optional sidequest stuff contributes jack poo poo to the story.
-2-3 relic hunting mechanics they have in the game to pad hours.
-Respawning locational monster groups that provide zero challenge after you've already cleared a zone.
-lovely camera mechanics in a 21st-century game.
-Retarded AI that outputs at half the DPS compared to the player,
-Time-locked war-table content unless you cheat.
-Vanilla-WoW style quest mechanics ("Fetch me 3 boar hides from three randomly spawning boars 20 feet from my door!")
-Grand Environments where you plod around for ten minutes just to find the next quest.
-Tactless Combat outside of Dragonfights. Just zerg poo poo and press buttanss!!

So far, DA:O has probably been the best balance of all the requirements for a good game with all its sequels failing in major ways.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

But then ME3 said that they could have just not bothered with any of that.

ME3 is hilarious in the fact that it throws out everything Shepard accomplished in the previous two games because it turns out, the Reapers were only a couple years away in dark space and no one chose to do anything until the last second anyways.

And then Starchild comes in at the end, "Did you know you could control the Reapers or Synthesize with them instead of trying to destroy them for three whole games lolscrub."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I miss ME1’s energy management system for guns. Being able to completely change a weapon's purpose was fun (Taking a five shot sniper rifle and making it into a single-shot monster.)

The whole shift to ammunition was stupid, they should of stuck to a hybrid system where you could either wait for the magazine to cool off, or eject it and load in a cold one instead.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

or maybe they needed a sequence where EDI just pulls up a powerpoint and explains things like you would to a kindergartner

I prefer the anime way where everything happens and then they fill the second half of the episode explaining how everything happened as if you didn't just see how everything happened.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Soap! Your knife has overheated! Now, remember; switching to a reloading mechanic is always more fun than a cooldown mechanic.

*Runs or of ammo in a universe where they have unlimited-round magazines*

Seriously, they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a 'quality' in-universe reason for the switch.

A blended mechanic where you have over-heating but can use cooling-magazines to instantly reset your heat would have made more sense.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I don't care about any of that, dude.

Welcome to the Mass Effect thread you dirty Batarian.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Mass Effect: Andromeda: It's actually the Planet of the Apes plot and you're back on earth 600,000 years after Shepard failed to stop the Reapers.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So the Kett are basically skinny Krogan. Thanks for the innovation Bioware.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

precision posted:

What is this obsession with having aliens that look nothing like humans, who cares? This is a Star Trek style universe, everything is bipedal, why does it matter?

An infinite universe and for some reason every female is fuckable
or
Elcor and Hanar do exist as non-humanoids, but Bioware is too lazy to rig new models
or
Aliens that don't look like humans are far more interesting than pansexual squidhead ladies.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

precision posted:

I'm not saying that isn't true, I'm just saying who cares as long as it ends up good and that having weirdo races does literally nothing to increase or decrease the odds of the game being good.

Interesting and varied alien designs does increase the odds of it being good. It allows developers to create contrast in combat as everything isn't a generic bipedal humanoid that takes cover and throws grenades.

That's not saying Bioware won't add more non-humanoid species, it's just alarming when the developer talks about empathy/rigging to disguise the lack of effort.

It's why CoD and Battlefield SP feel boring, you're basically on a treadmill shooting 1,000s of lookalikes which are literally the same 1-3 models reused over and over again.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Mass Effect is like Star Citizen if the developers weren't constrained by focus groups and executives.
"We have this really cool idea but it's not fuckable and it would take too long to make."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

homullus posted:

And we can't rely on Andromeda to shepard us back to more important topics. :(

That's because it's still all about aliens with boobs that make me want to Ryder.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

What are you talking about? How?

I assume he's talking about Knight Enchanter or Artificer Rogue hilariously breaking the game. And making combat extremely boring.
ME3:MP was extremely balanced (Aside from some UR guns) so combat stayed fresh.

Although in ME3 SP the Vanguard broke the game just as hard. I remember the part where you're supposed to stand your ground against waves of incoming enemies until you take enough damage to trigger the next event. I played it for about 40 minutes straight because I never lost health until a Banshee instakilled me.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I thought the whole super-communicator was supposed to be rare because it's an atom split between two locations and vibrating one half causes the other half to do the same despite being split in half.

I remember because I think they used the same description as the actual real life observation/theory of the phenomenon.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Alain Post posted:

That was Max Payne 3

DrNutt posted:

I loving love me some Max Payne 3 but I doubt I'll ever play it again because of that.

Error.
Max Payne 3 was a bad game.
Take everything that made the first two good, and then poo poo all over it:
-Monster closets every ten feet, you never know when you need to use your meds compared to the first one where it was room-by-room basis.
-Dialogue that stumbles all over itself and loses Max's noire monologues in return for lovely one liners and nothing else.
-Killing lots of faceless enemies that don't leave any impression on the world, the originals had news stories that detailed the murderous rampage Max was on.
-No real quirky characters or places aside from the football stadium.
-Haze effect that was overdone and headache inducing.

Rockstar, as a whole, butchered that series.

At least Mass Effect was only ruined by two guys.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Hope for Sarcastic-Ryder has increased, because Sarcastic-Hawke that was the only good thing about Dragon Age 2.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I said come in! posted:

In then Inquisition took it into overdrive with the awful castle layout.

It was atrocious, I didn't even know where Cullen was for the longest time. DA:I's castle was as bad as ME1 Citadel with pointless load times and useless hallways/rooms with nothing happening in them.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Veotax posted:

Random off topic question: I'm looking to put in an SSD after Christmas, is it worth going for an M2 (apparently my motherboard has an M2 slot, didn't even know they were a thing when I brought it) over a regular SSD?

M2s are effing amazing if you have the cash. Just be sure to do your research. I had to blind install windows onto mine because my Mobo didn't recognize an OEM M2.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

I will never understand people who like Sera.

They can self-identify with a sociopathic 16-year-old chav that freezes or sets herself on fire?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I thought you HAD to do his side quest and have a certain Paragon or else you'd be forced to kill him.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Am I on the Bioware forums wat is happening?!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't even remember Inquisition side-character quests, Varric's was about destroying X Red Lyrium veins and getting something. And Blackwall's was about finding X lost armor pieces.

Seriously lovely quests all around in DAI.

At least DA2 had the unreliable narrator quest for Varric's stuff.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish that mass effect ditched the reapers altogether and just let you play as space cop because you were the only dude bad enough to stop a guy...

I just want to point out that this is what Prey 2 was going to be before they canned it for apparently being interesting and changed it to "Dead Space: The FPS"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Moola posted:

I too think control could have worked if it was totally re-written

Any of the endings could have worked had they actually lead up to them for the past three games.

It's all "We must destroy the Reapers!" for 200 hours of gameplay until the last ten minutes where Starchild casually informs you that you can become god or bi-synthetic or whatever poo poo they made up.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's called an eldredge knot, and it works best if you also wear a fedora and a goatee. And then kill yourself. It's a terrible knot.
http://www.ties.com/how-to-tie-a-tie/eldredge

The Eldredge in that picture is horribly done and it's actually a good knot. That's why nerds have dragged it down to the pits of Tartarus because they run cool poo poo into the ground.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

This is cringey as gently caress.

Welcome to every live show about games. Nerds are not actors (Well, aside from VO actors.)

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Instakills confirmed, enjoy dying after Biotic Charging, pre-order confirmed!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

It looks a lot like Dragon Age Inquisition in terms of structure. A lot.

I'm hoping this isn't the case. Open-World gameplay generally means "Destroy X enemy encampments each consisting pre-made assets slightly rotated to look different."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I just want to point out that every Frostbite Engine game I've seen has had lovely animations/hair but really beautiful environments. So in combination with Bioware, be happy that at least the mouths move.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Vanguard was mainly broken in three because of the follow-up ability that allowed him to AoE enemy groups for massive damage and basically reset charge.

Course in this case, who knows because you'll be able to set up your class to biotic combo however you want. Reave + Charge is godlike except that it was on a Drell in MP I think.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Alain Post posted:

It's awesome that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 both have godawful first chapters, and Mass Effect 2's opening is loving incredible to make up for it

Unless you want to replay it because gently caress that unavoidable 10min walk through the ship.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Trast posted:

Citadel was great. It was funny and campy and had good action sequences plus the arena. It didn't fit the tone of ME3 which was mostly doom and gloom. But gently caress it I had a blast playing it.

Well the ending went so off rails anyways, Citadel could have equally been the real ending.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

But he doesn't even want to advance humanity.

Elon Musk fits the bill better. It'll just take something mind-controlling him before he turns evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

They are gonna call you Ryder, and there will be at least one joke each about "rough ryder" and "low ryder" spoken by aliens as they wink in the camera's direction.

I'm gonna go with Ryder making the joke and the alien not getting it.