Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Line 60 deep when I passed by a nearby church on my way back from the taco truck for breakfast tacos here in Austin.

Despite having record-breaking early voting turnout.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a fleshy snood posted:

give me some loving WEB LINKS please so i can watch msnbc live at my canadian workplace

Here's a link to a live stream.

of a cat

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In election fraud related reading, Travis County (Austin TX) is working on a new voting machine system which is really cool

Old article about it: https://www.texastribune.org/2014/07/09/travis-county-forges-new-territory-voting-machines/

quote:

STAR Vote shifts away from the old model, in which counties principally buy unique hardware from vendors, like the Austin-based Hart InterCivic. The new system will be county-owned and -operated, relying on open-source software that can be shared across jurisdictions and only requires equipment that can be bought commercially off the shelf, like tablets and scanners.

The designs already posted on the Travis County clerk’s website lay out a multi-step process: A voter checks in, signs a roster and receives a ticket. Then, she gives the ticket to a poll worker to get a unique ballot code from a ballot control station, which sends information to a voting device. At the device, she makes her choices, prints out a completed ballot and deposits it in a ballot box with a scanner. She also receives a receipt that allows her to check online the next day to ensure the ballot was counted.

Newer article: http://fusion.net/story/347191/better-electronic-voting-machines/

quote:

The proposed voting system uses an encryption scheme known as homomorphic encryption, which is designed to enable reliable recounts. Under this system, elections administrators will be able to publish anonymized, encrypted voting records online, so that third parties, such as activists and news organizations, can tally and verify election results for themselves.

There are detailed, technical write-ups about how it works, but the simple version is that when a person votes, his or her selections are encrypted and then stored encrypted. “No one will be able to see how one individual voted,” explains security technologist Garrett Robinson. Homomorphic encryption, which lets you “compute with data you cannot read,” allows the counting of votes to be done while they’re still encrypted to produce a sum that can then be decrypted to give the county the overall results. We could say goodbye to concerns about ballots being thrown out or tampered with.

Neat!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What map/website are people using to track returns?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

loving lol:

don't care that it is temporary, still lol.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They haven't loving called Texas?!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

blue squares posted:

this is bizarre because he was always going to win Texas

Jesus would lose in Texas if he had a D by his name.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NOVA starting to report and pulling VA democratic

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Can we move to dwarf land?

It seems more stable than the real world. You know where you stand with a well-torn body part.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. gently caress gently caress; gently caress gently caress gently caress.

quote:

gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. gently caress gently caress, gently caress gently caress gently caress, gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. gently caress.

gently caress, gently caress gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Welp

I didn't want to give accelerationism a go because it was going to kill a lot of people but looks like we are locked into our seats listening to the the *clack*clack*clack* as the roller coaster gets dragged up the first hill

Hold onto your goddamn butts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah I'm pretty goddamn discontent at this moment let me tell you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I dunno why everyone thinks that all the media is just going to bend the knee.

The NY Times has been hunting for the scalp of a major politician ever since the Washington Post took out Nixon. That is why they had a standing force of reporters following everything Bill or Hillary did. The Post likewise got a taste of that and would very much like to relive those glory days.

And Trump's treatment of the press is going to make the Clintons seem positively adoring by comparison. CNN might play suckup to try and get access be from the campaign we know they have no problem pulling a 180 if there is a juicy story to be made.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yinlock posted:

scapegoat #1 ejected

reload

Inside footage of what Priebus just did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR36lzNfr7k

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zikan posted:

i'm seriously waking up to the idea that trump still wants to be loved by the nyc elite liberals who made fun of him when he carpetbagged in from queens

of course he's gonna destroy this theory in 24 hours but whateva

Trump is gatsby.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While in theory they could be a good idea, in practice they are used to break teachers' unions and funnel public education money into private hands, and that's before we get into how they often inflate their student performance by kicking out underperforming kids and those with behavioral issues. Or the ones that are the thinnest possible wallpapering over religious-indoctrination-as-education.

Yeah, that should bring Arkane running.

Amusingly the boosters tend to pick the wrong good idea for the "in theory they could be a good idea".

Usually they get sold as being able to bypass all those nasty unions and bureaucracy. But the actual good of charter schools is that they break the link between where you live and school funding.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trump pissing off China by unknowingly chatting on the phone isn't good, but it is hilarious.

Like we're approaching Dr Strangelove levels of black comedy here.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Agrajag posted:

don't worry this will magically bring back all the manufacturing jobs

But will it maintain our Purity Of Essence? That's the real important thing here Mandrake.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Karl Sharks posted:

ahahaha no it's this

or it's autocorrect that's learned to try to change his tweets entirely

"Why does it keep replacing 'lol Chinese can't even get my to go order right how could they fight a war?' with 'Ducking'?!"

At least it gets Ed Balls right.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Brother Friendship posted:

It's an open question what a massive influx of stimulus would do to the economy when it is relatively healthy. We need better wealth distribution, reduced working hours and benefit revamps to stabilize the economy, not a tax cut masquerading as a stimulus plan (This is what Trump is actually proposing). He's not even proposing the thing that would -actually- be useful, which is massive structural spending in infrastructure to revamp our civilization to fit in with the 21st century.

I already budgeted to buy a massive chest freezer and make a poo poo ton of food to stock up for a long work season come January. It looks like I'll also be stocking up on grains, spices and canned goods as well! Worst case I don't shop for a year, best case I become a king...A KING!

I'm taking a different course- I have enough homebrewing supplies to make many many gallons of beer.

Worst case, beer. Best case... King of Beer.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Did twitter ever bother to crack down on the dozens of neo-nazi alt-right bots that always raced to be the first to reply to every Trump tweet?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They should make it Zuckerberg and just drill him for pages about his insistence that facebook isn't responsible for the fake news spread despite plenty of evidence that it is.

And i dunno maybe twitter founder too?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Covok posted:

Which would garner an equal "meh." Like, most people forgot she existed. Hell, I forgot about her until her quick little interview. Most conservatives would be like "Who cares? She doesn't have any real power and would never run."

In a way, Trump winning was the worst thing for conservative media, a media that lives off contrarianism and outrage.

We've already seen the right wing media folks seemlessly transition from hating Clinton to hating Obama. They will find a new target.

My hope is they find it within the GOP itself.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lol, Lockheed must have made a few calls this morning.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fiction posted:

*drowns europe in austerity as wages stagnate and social systems are strained due to refugees from conflicts we funded and participated in* how could this happen! putin!!!

Just because you foolishly left a bunch of piles of gasoline soaked rags around your back yard doesn't excuse your neighbor peaking over the fence flicking lit matches.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Schnorkles posted:

this is primarily a side effect of the constitutional changes done by republicans in NC in 1970. The power has been there to do this forever, it's just coming out now because the state is close to 50/50.

Yeah but some of the changes are nearing Douglas Adams levels or absurdity. Such as only allowing a democrat to chair the state election board on years where there are no elections.

Ed Balls would be a goof HHGttG character name...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Schnorkles posted:

when the constitution allows a party to do things to retain power, they tend to do it. :shrug: This is more a follow through rather than the actual power grab. That was done awhile ago.

Oh I know but it is usually better hidden than this.

I guess the rush to get in in place before they lost the governorship kept them from being subtle.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think he's doing exactly as much as he can, and would love to hear what other people think he should be doing/saying.

Like, if he calls Comey out the response will just be 'nah' from him and the media will make it into some weird power struggle narrative, we really can't do much to Russia unless you want us to just start bombing Moscow or whatever, he can't suspend the election because there's no proof the meddling tipped the scales (because it didn't). Seriously someone explain what this horrible coward should be actually doing.

yeah there's only so much he can do without burning the US long term. but he's pretty clearly trying to get as close to that line as he possibly can.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Obama said it was Russia. He said they targeted the Democrats. He said nothing happens in Russia without Putin knowing and approving of it. He said we will retaliate but will not publicize how ahead of time because that is just dumb as poo poo to do. He said the report will be released before he leaves office.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the idea that Trump personally was in the loop? The fact that the whole scheme worked is the greatest indicator that he didn't have any involvement whatsoever.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Covok posted:

Called it. They want chaos. They got chaos. They are happy. The rest of us who actually want to live in this world look in terror.

You are thinking too far into this. For the last two decades or so conservative media has basically been driving the idea that if something annoys Liberals then it is inherently worth doing. To make it worse the Liberal is usually a simplified strawman in their own heads which is why you get people drinking chugging Big Gulps in protest of healthy eating initiatives. Add in internet and it is even worse.

The GOP is essentially the "LOL! U MAD?!" party.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

euphronius posted:

You know what would also annoy liberals? Full employment

But they never propose that huh

I've heard liberals really loving hate people taking Dimethylmercury supplements.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cams posted:

this also happens to be from the best mst3k episode

Space Mutiny was up there too. But nothing can top the Rowsdower mullet.

Many hats have tried, all have been sold for beer money.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My agency sent out an email and while everyone else gets Inauguration Day off because the headquarters is in DC, I don't because I work from home.

Still gonna be drunk all day.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you work from home why aint you drunk every day

When did I say I wasn't?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Potato Salad posted:

I'm tired of months and months of nothingburgers.

Same. But a small part of me still hopes.

Which is bad because look where hope got all those folks in the new Star Wars movie.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

McGlockenshire posted:

how the hell do you "donate" money to the US Treasury?

It is a thing that enough crazy people want to do often enough that they set up an address you can send it to. I think there is a form too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yinlock posted:

i've never actually seen trump go all caps before this scandal

he mad lol

People are laughing at him. He can't stand that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Agrajag posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS HE TRYING TO loving SAY?

STOP CAMPAIGNING YOU IDIOT

Schnorkles posted:

donald trump is never going to leave campaign mode because he really doesn't know how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mintskoal posted:

paraphrased but

judge: are you saying the university will suffer no financial harm from this order?

lawyer: yes

judge: but if a student from one of these countries can't pay tuition then the university loses that money, correct?

lawyer: no you see that is incorrect because

Lol the GOP was just fine with using the most vague and tenuous justifications to get standing to oppose Obamas EOs. "You deported the person paying us" is much more direct than "if we subsidize the cost of drivers licenses and a DACA participant gets a license that harms us"

• Locked thread