Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Saw this in PYF and started cracking up at the end (watch the whole thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

blackguy32 posted:

Plus the risk can be high if you get caught.

Yeah, but what are the odds you get caught? Unless you stop and park the car first, like cowards.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
"I vote for the party of personal responsibility"

*Experiences consequences for hate speech*

:heritage:: BUH BUH BUH NO FAIR :heritage:

Side note, I'm super racist about the relative cuteness of children, white kids almost all look like a mistake happened when trying to cook oatmeal in bulk while brushing the cat.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I think it's easier for whites to move out because they have an easier time finding a occupation that generates wealth and they have family with wealth to fall upon in hard times. Black people have neither since we are not hired as often, have next to no black businesses to turn to and our parents and families have squandered any opportunity to create wealth.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The deck is pretty stacked against. Just to name a few 'minor' challenges:

Harder to get a good education
Harder to get into (and afford) college
Harder to get a place of their own
Harder to get a loan
Harder to get hired

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Taerkar posted:

The deck is pretty stacked against. Just to name a few 'minor' challenges:

Harder to get a good education
Harder to get into (and afford) college
Harder to get a place of their own
Harder to get a loan
Harder to get hired

Harder to avoid getting unjustly imprisoned and having a rap sheet following you around for the rest of your life

Harder to avoid getting murdered by police

Edit: speaking of police brutality and excessive force:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...0e1bd9ebee.html

I wonder if GFSincere/Negromancer is involved in any of the protesting there; IIRC he was one of the Ferguson protesters from the previous round of unheard people airing their greivances there.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 23, 2017

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Aren't we like the only country that really emphasizes moving out of your house at 18?.

It’s an old cliche but not really a thing that happens in the US any more. It’s almost impossible to move out at 18 unless you want like three roommates and if you’re going to do that you might as well live at home. I have friends of all backgrounds and none of them moved out at 18 unless it was to go to college and they all lived with their parents for at least a year after they graduated. I moved out when I was 23 and had a stable enough job. I rented a place with my brother for a few years until I was earning enough to get an apartment of my own. My parents didn’t mind as long as we helped with things and none of my friend’s parents minded either. This was over ten years ago.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

sean10mm posted:

"I vote for the party of personal responsibility"

*Experiences consequences for hate speech*

:heritage:: BUH BUH BUH NO FAIR :heritage:

Side note, I'm super racist about the relative cuteness of children, white kids almost all look like a mistake happened when trying to cook oatmeal in bulk while brushing the cat.

you can't be racist to white people

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

stone cold posted:

:qq: oh thank goodness *scuttles into burrow of white privilege *

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Found this interesting tidbit in this article:

quote:

This transformation began with the Federal Housing Act of 1934, which established the Federal Housing Administration. The FHA originally provided home loans to qualifying (read: white) families during the Great Depression, as part of the New Deal, in an attempt to stabilize the mortgage market.

The FHA came to the forefront after WWII, when the Housing Act of 1949 began to systematically dismantle cities while simultaneously setting the guidelines of suburban sprawl. The Housing Act of 1949 worked in three parts:

1.) Federal financing for slum clearance (often coupled with highway building)
2.) Promised 800,000 units of public housing (the act actually destroyed more units of housing than it built)
3.) Increased financing for rural home loans and gave the FHA more authority to issue mortgages.

This act had a devastating effect on cities. Not only did slum clearance destroy entire neighborhoods (often drawn along racial lines) and frequently replace them with highways (out to the suburbs!!), the process of Redlining (outlining areas deemed “high risk” and not worth issuing mortgages in, often in the inner city, almost always racially based) and the high preference for FHA-planned suburban communities over urban areas all but guaranteed a fully subsidized white flight from the cities.

What little public housing was built quickly fell into decline, as maintenance costs were tied to tenant rents - this, coupled with resistance to forced integration after Brown v Board of Education (1954) from whites led to their rapid depopulation of public housing. As a result, the remaining tenants could not offset the costs of empty units. This, coupled with a high youth density (unsupervised youths were often the cause of many maintenance problems - even benign ones, like breaking the elevators playing games of ‘elevator tag’), meant that existing public housing was quickly deteriorating. It was this combination of socioeconomic circumstances that led to the decline, and ultimately, the failure of the infamous Pruitt-Igoe housing complex in St. Louis, Missouri.

The article is mainly about how land use in the US went from vertical at the beginning of the 20th century to horizontal by the end of it, but it had these interesting insights into some of the causes of white flight and inner city slums of the mid-late 20th century. Shows how the whole 'rising tide lifts all boats' from the Bernie crowd is horseshit, because govt policies enacted to help people in need are almost always applied in an unequal manner that favors whiteness.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

The article is mainly about how land use in the US went from vertical at the beginning of the 20th century to horizontal by the end of it, but it had these interesting insights into some of the causes of white flight and inner city slums of the mid-late 20th century. Shows how the whole 'rising tide lifts all boats' from the Bernie crowd is horseshit, because govt policies enacted to help people in need are almost always applied in an unequal manner that favors whiteness.

That is really interesting! Thank you. I'm gonna have to bookmark that as a source lol.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Koalas March posted:

That is really interesting! Thank you. I'm gonna have to bookmark that as a source lol.

On this topic, someone mentioned the following book in USPol about a year ago:

The origins of the urban crisis : race and inequality in postwar Detroit

I read a lot of it, and it was pretty eye opening in terms of how redlining and the FHA played out specifically in Detroit, but also argues that this was prototypical of the rest of the rust belt.

E: It really lays things out well, like the various race riots (read: white people attacking black people's homes and storefronts, then the cops blaming the black people for it), racist white workers blocking black people from working at factories, the 36-year-serving racist mayor of Dearborn (who literally campaigned on keeping black people out of Dearborn and won by landslides), etc. It's all good stuff to point to when Berniebros go on about the poor white working class of the rust belt.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 25, 2017

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Unrelated to the above, some folks from this website were here in PDX for an event today and they sell a zine that so many white liberal (self proclaimed) "allies" need to sit down and read:

http://www.archive6.com/zines/everyone-calls-themselves-an-ally-until-it-is-time-to-do-some-real-ally-poo poo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

stone cold posted:

I really just wanted a pretext to use that turn of phrase. :ms:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

On this topic, someone mentioned the following book in USPol about a year ago:

The origins of the urban crisis : race and inequality in postwar Detroit

I read a lot of it, and it was pretty eye opening in terms of how redlining and the FHA played out specifically in Detroit, but also argues that this was prototypical of the rest of the rust belt.

E: It really lays things out well, like the various race riots (read: white people attacking black people's homes and storefronts, then the cops blaming the black people for it), racist white workers blocking black people from working at factories, the 36-year-serving racist mayor of Dearborn (who literally campaigned on keeping black people out of Dearborn and won by landslides), etc. It's all good stuff to point to when Berniebros go on about the poor white working class of the rust belt.

I wish more people would learn about Detroit, and even come here. This city is awesome. I know, I know, we have our problems and our abandoned houses and poverty but there is some really great stuff here and the people are amazing and resilient.

The Detroit Science Center is great and completely interactive. The African-American history museum is beautiful. There is great street art/graffiti, musicians and food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvg2dDGKgZI

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HotCanadianChick posted:

A year or two I had a connecting flight in Detroit and I remember looking out the window at the expanse of Detroit as we flew over it. The large grid structure of dilapidated houses and vacant lots was extremely depressing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Taerkar posted:

A year or two I had a connecting flight in Detroit and I remember looking out the window at the expanse of Detroit as we flew over it. The large grid structure of dilapidated houses and vacant lots was extremely depressing.

haha I live right next to the airport.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Don't remember what direction we approached from but this was when the plane was making the initial approach. Course like I said this was also a year+ so my memory is questionable, but it looked like old style gridwork as far as the eye could see.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In the Northeast there's this extremely commonplace idea among liberal/arts/punk scenes that you can buy a house in Detroit for a song, is that still the case or has he gentrification board caught up yet?

Or is it a whole other can-of-worms where it's just not that simple?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

In the Northeast there's this extremely commonplace idea among liberal/arts/punk scenes that you can buy a house in Detroit for a song, is that still the case or has he gentrification board caught up yet?

There were homes up for $500~ during the recession, but they were in terribly awful condition and likely burned out. Plus, taxes are actually pretty high on property values in Detroit proper (~68 mils, or 3.4%), which is why a lot were for sale, just to relieve people of the taxes. Got about the same taxes in Ypsi City due to the presence of EMU, and taxes make purchasing a home fairly difficult.

Also keep in mind that Detroit is quite large for a city of its population, so while some parts have gentrified, vast amounts are still in dire straights. It's 142 sq mi, and the lately gentrified areas are 7.2 sq mi of that. And the population density is really low, 5000/sq mi, compared to Manhattan's 72,000. Lot of empty space.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've heard all that unoccupied space opens up the potential to reverse a lot of previous sprawl that has plagued many cities in the present day. Building of green spaces, parks, gardens/farms, and so forth. Unfortunately this probably also costs money and public involvement of people that might have little currently invested in it. But I'm sure posters that actually live in Detroit are probably more keen on this than I am.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/912327330579677184

In everyone's rush for unity against Trump for calling players SOBs, many have largely ignored what Kaepernick was protesting in the first place.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bust Rodd posted:

Last time I was in Detroit was for a community bike shop conference, and I stayed in a place like this. The person owning it was working two jobs, and didn't have a lot of time to do all the work on the house they wanted to. And the house needed a lot of work. On that street there were also more vacant lots than standing houses, and I actually saw a wild pheasant roaming around.

To bring this back on topic, though: Detroit is pretty awesome, but one of the biggest worries is how the gentrification proceeds. The reason all those neighbourhoods are empty is because of a long history of racism keeping black people down, followed by white people moving out so they don't have to live next to black people, and taking their money with them. Gentrification has a very high chance of driving out people who are already some of the most marginalised in the country.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Also, new info about Milestone coming back

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

blackguy32 posted:

https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/912327330579677184

In everyone's rush for unity against Trump for calling players SOBs, many have largely ignored what Kaepernick was protesting in the first place.

This is what I continue to confront people about in regards to NFL players kneeling during the anthem- do they even know WHY they are kneeling in the first place?

I'm proud of my brother, who is an Iraq veteran and tells the other Jingoists to gently caress off with their 'honor the flag' bullshit. They'll blather on about how disrespecting the anthem and flag is the same as disrespecting dead servicemembers, and he'll point out to them that he was in Honor Guard for several years and fully supports people who see fit to kneel during the anthem or burn flags.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not going to lie I actually really wouldn't mind moving to Detroit or the outlying areas since I do have a definite appreciation of the area (though there's a lot I haven't done or seen there since I live 3+ hours away so it's not really easy to gently caress around as a day trip or what have you) and it would be better in a lot of ways than the conservative shithole I currently live in. But I don't have money and I don't know what sort of employment I'd be able to find and on and on :smith:

Really should scope out the African American History Museum since I definitely haven't been there and it would be a nice additional thing to do whenever I head down again for a weekend to watch the Tigers lose (seriously, every loving time I've gone to see them, like clockwork, even in their good years)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

sean10mm posted:

I really just wanted a pretext to use that turn of phrase. :ms:

fair

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Got to see this guy in concert with Sammus, and I really dig his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxXubLTIBw

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I see housing talk and I just have to share this:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wished I took a picture, but my wife and I were shopping at Costco and they had some dolls (can't remember if they were Barbie or knockoffs) but the thing that really gave me pause is that while the box came with a white and black doll, the black doll was just the white doll's features with a darker shade of brown; everything else looked like the little white doll, to the extent it looked almost like blackface to me. It made me realize that I see very few genuinely Black dolls, in terms of hair texture and facial features; more often than not they are just 'palette swapped' versions of white dolls. But even I know that Black people have different hair textures and facial features than white people, and just making a really dark version of a caucasian doll is a rather poor analogue for a Black person.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
That's what happens in a lot of games with character customization. All the facial features are European but you can put black skin on them. It looks super weird.

Though I had a friend that was half german and half black and he basically has a very caucasian facial structure but with dark skin so it also happens in real like.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah, Rashida Jones looks just like her mom. It's weird, I watched Parks and Rec and Twin Peaks back to back and I couldn't shake it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
There's the Bratz dolls, I guess?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Ken Burns' Vietnam series had about twenty minutes of tonight's episode (8 of 10) mostly devoted to talking about the African-American and minority experience during the war. I'm certainly not qualified to tell (and it is probably not enough about that particular topic) but it may be interesting for anyone who was around during that time or has family who was around, especially if they didn't talk about it much. It's about as unhappy as can be expected.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/jelani9/status/913031094806745091

Screwing the white man once more! 😠😠😠

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Koalas March posted:

I have actually been thinking about starting a sticky for that. A lot of our users are minorities or other groups that statistically are having a tough time due to society's institutional prejudices.

A lot of us are struggling and I care so much about everyone. We should all be able to make it. I want all of us to succeed.

I am going to be kinda busy later tonight but I'm going to try work on an OP, unless someone else wants to do it and I will sticky it for them?

Maybe a patreon account in Koala March's name, that she is responsible for distributing as she sees fit? I'd find it easier to contribute a few dollars a month than a lump sum all at once. I know that oversight on these things is tough, but I feel like KM has shown enough dedication and honesty that most regulars would trust her. Then if we get somebody who is a long term poster in a rough position (like Fluffdaddy), KM distributes funds. If we reach a certain threshold ($500 or whatever) with no regulars requiring assistance, the money could be donated to an agreed upon charity.

Just brainstorming here, but I feel like it has potential.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I think it would be better if people just post their own links. I was in a position of needing to pull funds immediately and waiting would have put me in the streets.

Just updating: I am in a car working for Uber still and am job hunting when I am not driving.

Still living in the hotel and am hoping I can make enough to get out by the end of the month.

Thanks for everyone who has donated. The list is so long I can't even name everyone.

I will repost the link since it was pages ago, cause the faster I get into my own place the better I will be.

http://paypal.me/mikesherman1082

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think it would be better if people just post their own links. I was in a position of needing to pull funds immediately and waiting would have put me in the streets.

Just updating: I am in a car working for Uber still and am job hunting when I am not driving.

Still living in the hotel and am hoping I can make enough to get out by the end of the month.

Thanks for everyone who has donated. The list is so long I can't even name everyone.

I will repost the link since it was pages ago, cause the faster I get into my own place the better I will be.

http://paypal.me/mikesherman1082

We can do both, honestly?

I made the post but I am still working on it. feel free to post your paypal info and what's going on in there. :)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If anyone else here is in PDX, tomorrow night (Friday the 29th), Don't Shoot PDX is going to have a free screening of the excellent Ferguson protest documentary Whose Streets at 6:30pm:
https://pdxactivist.org/events/1618

It's been out for a month or so now, but finding showings in a given city ain't been easy, so I wanted to give a holla in case anyone else here in stumptown might still need to see it (and free-ninety-five is hard to turn down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Soiled Meat
Its good. Try to see it

• Locked thread