Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Where is Negrotown located geographically?

north georgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Pretty sure Matt Groening said it was http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/

e: or maybe that was just some newspaper article, but nothing matters

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Asimov posted:

Pretty sure Matt Groening said it was http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/

e: or maybe that was just some newspaper article, but nothing matters

The Simpsons live in Springfield, North Tacoma (NT)

And in other cartoon news more relevant to this thread, Skeeter from Doug was black.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What is the state of LGBT issues in the black community?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And in other cartoon news more relevant to this thread, Skeeter from Doug was black.

Makes perfect sense. But was the 'honk honk!' gimmick some sort of coded dogwhistle? :tinfoil:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Wait did some people really not get that? He was a noticeably different color and he just generally acted like a children's show cliché of a black person.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Serious:

So a lot of problems have been caused by economic policies that were crafted to discriminate without coming out and saying it.

Would it be possible to craft policies aimed to benefit communities of color disproportionately without coming out and saying it?

Would it be desirable to pursue such policies? Or is recognition and apology part of the point of reparations?

Sidetrack:

I didn't post this in the misogynoir thread cause he isn't a she but a guy I play magic with has a local band in Denver and I figure I'd shamelessly promote him here. So this is "Just My Blackfriend".

https://m.soundcloud.com/j-m-blackfriend

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McAlister posted:

Serious:

So a lot of problems have been caused by economic policies that were crafted to discriminate without coming out and saying it.

Would it be possible to craft policies aimed to benefit communities of color disproportionately without coming out and saying it?

FDR actually tried that with New Deal policies, meeting with minority leaders in secret and trying to craft executive actions to aid minorities when he could.

There was...mixed success, to say the least.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

McAlister posted:

Serious:

Republicans have been very successful in suppressing the economic, democratic and social outcomes of PoC in the US under laws that have been deemed as acceptable by courts. Unless amenable judges are in place I would assume the opposite of the progress you want is possible through the current legal system.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Huzanko posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

The Nightly Show was just about the only Comedy Central show I watched (on YouTube and the CC website) and I am bummed that that it isn't on anymore. I really like Wilmore's delivery and I enjoyed him on the Daily Show as well. I hope he, and hopefully other folks from the Nightly show, get a show on another network, or online.

I'm not sure about eveyrone else, but Franchesca Ramsey has gotten a gig with MTV talking Social Justice issues called "Decoded".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDCADWyaiI

Her latest video about White Fragility has spawned dozens of angry "Debunking" videos that are, of course, perfect examples of White Fragility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCFy4mFWRM

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 8, 2016

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

Republicans have been very successful in suppressing the economic, democratic and social outcomes of PoC in the US under laws that have been deemed as acceptable by courts. Unless amenable judges are in place I would assume the opposite of the progress you want is possible through the current legal system.

That's why the "not coming out and saying it" is key. Like ... a grant award program at the federal level that allocates funds based on how the worst school in the state is doing? You have to help the school that needs it most to get any of those federal dollars?

Something sneaky.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SwimmingSpider posted:

I'm not sure about eveyrone else, but Franchesca Ramsey has gotten a gig with MTV talking Social Justice issues called "Decoded".

Her latest video about White Fragility has spawned dozens of angry "Debunking" videos that are, of course, perfect examples of White Fragility.

Her video was really cool and gave me some tools to use on racists in Facebook. Getting somebody to answer honestly the question of "Are you angry at the problem, or the people pointing it out?" and I agree with her that talking about race is a taboo subject in a lot of white families. Much like how talking about wages is taboo, and not surprisingly its the white people who barely make a dollar above minimum wage who are the most strident opponents of raising minimum wage.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I miss y'all in the USPOL thread and I'm annoyed your voices were silenced in its anemic successor, but I'm excited for what this thread will bring.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

slinkimalinki posted:

I miss y'all in the USPOL thread and I'm annoyed your voices were silenced in its anemic successor, but I'm excited for what this thread will bring.

I find it kind of funny that all the other threads in CSPAM and the weird election one in D&D are just as fast, if not faster, than USPOL.

Can a halfrican like myself move into Negrotown? If there's the Biracial District I'll gladly set up shop.

I just moved to Sweden to live with my goon partner and the race things here are...really weird. It's definitely been an experience.

E: Check out this teeny article from AV Club about Gullah Gullah Island. I can't believe I still remember the whole theme song.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 8, 2016

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Hi, just dropping in to say that I find this thread (and TB's Misogynoir thread) super interesting!

As for me, I'm mixed European/Melanesian living in Europe, so I'm pretty dark skinned, but i'm pretty sure that whatever racism I encounter is nowhere near what you guys have to endure. I'll just set up shop in the biracial district together with teen witch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Yes, this is something that I am still trying to learn. Like some members of my family only consider mestiz@ or chican@ as latin@. It's very interesting.
Could you expand on being black in a latin@ (is that the preferred spelling over latinx or latino/a?) family? I don't know anything about African heritage in the latin@ world, or racial identity, or things like that. I'm very curious how it looks versus what I think of as American black heritage and culture (I do not know any of the terminology or how things are identified or divided in terms of race theory).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Panfilo posted:

Her video was really cool and gave me some tools to use on racists in Facebook. Getting somebody to answer honestly the question of "Are you angry at the problem, or the people pointing it out?" and I agree with her that talking about race is a taboo subject in a lot of white families. Much like how talking about wages is taboo, and not surprisingly its the white people who barely make a dollar above minimum wage who are the most strident opponents of raising minimum wage.

My reaction was more along the lines of "Wait, something worth watching is on MTV?! Why isn't that getting more attention after decades of MTV being stuff not worth watching?"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
greetings from a chinese-american interloper, and dearest apologies for the racist reactionary scumfucks in our community who cheered when peter liang went free and who organized pro-peter liang marches in new york over the past two years

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

greetings from a chinese-american interloper, and dearest apologies for the racist reactionary scumfucks in our community who cheered when peter liang went free and who organized pro-peter liang marches in new york over the past two years

Yeah...the Chinese community really hosed itself in NYC with that one, considering politically how much they relied on other minorities to get stuff passed for their communities.

That poo poo ain't happening now considering their argument was basically, "hey, why can't we kill black people without consequences? Aren't we the model (read: pet) minority?"

How quickly they forget about this same country sticking them in mountains and caves and blowing them the hell up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could you expand on being black in a latin@ (is that the preferred spelling over latinx or latino/a?) family? I don't know anything about African heritage in the latin@ world, or racial identity, or things like that. I'm very curious how it looks versus what I think of as American black heritage and culture (I do not know any of the terminology or how things are identified or divided in terms of race theory).

W/r/T Latinx or Latin@ I just go by whatever people seem to prefer. My teenage cousin uses latin@ to refer to our family and I picked it up from her but I use both pretty interchangeably. There are lots of black Latinx folks, but unfortunately I'm not one of them lol. I don't hang out with the El Salvadoran part of my family much basically because of the story about my cousin, her mom and her husband. He's kind of a prick, a very very old school dude. I actually don't really hang out with the Italian or black sides of my family either though because of crazy e/n worthy poo poo. The exceptions are my mom, grandmother. My sister is going to school in Arizona atm so we just kinda keep up with each other.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

W/r/T Latinx or Latin@ I just go by whatever people seem to prefer. My teenage cousin uses latin@ to refer to our family and I picked it up from her but I use both pretty interchangeably. There are lots of black Latinx folks, but unfortunately I'm not one of them lol. I don't hang out with the El Salvadoran part of my family much basically because of the story about my cousin, her mom and her husband. He's kind of a prick, a very very old school dude. I actually don't really hang out with the Italian or black sides of my family either though because of crazy e/n worthy poo poo. The exceptions are my mom, grandmother. My sister is going to school in Arizona atm so we just kinda keep up with each other.

I would definitely say take a look at race issues in places like Brazil, where the Afro-Latin racial issues are similar but also very varied. Going to Brazil and seeing it for myself was very interesting.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

negromancer posted:

I hated the Harambe meme because it really showed how white people care more about the life of literally any animal over a black life.

Can you/someone explain this to me or direct me to an explanation? I know nothing but the name and I had no idea there was something racially charged when I saw people bringing it up.

Also I am very much enjoying this thread as a D&D newbie. Thanks for having it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

Yeah...the Chinese community really hosed itself in NYC with that one, considering politically how much they relied on other minorities to get stuff passed for their communities.

That poo poo ain't happening now considering their argument was basically, "hey, why can't we kill black people without consequences? Aren't we the model (read: pet) minority?"

How quickly they forget about this same country sticking them in mountains and caves and blowing them the hell up.

Black-Asian American relations are really complicated and evident of the "divide and conquer" strategy of white supremacy. I've heard some heinous anti-Asian poo poo from black friends going unchecked, and don't even get me started about beauty shop politics.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

What is the state of LGBT issues in the black community?

Black masculinity is ultra fragile, and black women are ultra - pained by being the least desired group of women on the planet, and black people are still closely tied to their Southern Christian heritage, so, absolutely terrible still. There have been more and more moves to normalize LGBT things with black people, but there is high resistance for the aforementioned reasons.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
IMMEDIATE BOOKMARK

Darko posted:

Black masculinity is ultra fragile and toxic, and black women are ultra - pained by being the least desired group of women on the planet, and black people are still closely tied to their Southern Christian heritage, so, absolutely terrible still. There have been more and more moves to normalize LGBT things with black people, but there is high resistance for the aforementioned reasons.

FTFY. Also what?

SwimmingSpider posted:

Dont really think that douche is white. Just your typical Model Minority

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 8, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mind over Matter posted:

Can you/someone explain this to me or direct me to an explanation? I know nothing but the name and I had no idea there was something racially charged when I saw people bringing it up.

Also I am very much enjoying this thread as a D&D newbie. Thanks for having it.

A black baby fell into a gorilla enclosure and they shot the gorilla because they couldn't guarantee they could get to the baby before the gorilla noticed it, because in a "pick one" situation the human life is more important than the gorilla's life.

Then a lot of people got really mad that they "murdered" an innocent gorilla to save a baby who was lost by an "irresponsible mother" and all these coded words started getting thrown around and eventually it spawned this alt right "dicks out for harambe" thing. But the core of the issue is basically that these people think they should have let the baby die instead of the gorilla because it's that terrible mother's fault that the baby was in the cage. Cuz, you know, only black moms lose track of their kids at the zoo. No white child has ever zoomed around like a cracked out ping pong ball trying to see every aminal possible.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

teen witch posted:

Black-Asian American relations are really complicated and evident of the "divide and conquer" strategy of white supremacy. I've heard some heinous anti-Asian poo poo from black friends going unchecked, and don't even get me started about beauty shop politics.

As-Am wanting to piggyback off this - please feel free to stop me if I wander too far afield.

Part of it I think is due to ghettoization pushing As-Ams, especially less economically lucky ones, into the same spaces or nearby spaces as black Americans. Despite what stereotyping tells people this is not because of As-Ams wanting to stick together- there's no loving way you can tell me the Koreans want to live next to the Japanese, or the Chinese next to the Viets. It's entirely because of a more subtle redlining-esque effort against As-Am housing that has gone on for years in parallel to the better known efforts against blacks. Now, it's pretty much part of the asian american national identity, such as it is- we stick together. Nevermind that the internal divisions are probably as sharp as the difference between As-Am and Not. We learned our lesson somewhat in the 80s- it doesn't matter, whitey will beat us down and won't care if we hate the japanese too.

Anyway, what this lets white supremacy do is scapegoat us for everything that happens to our other PoC neighbors. We can simultaneously be blamed for bringing *down* the quality of the neighborhood ("this was a nice american place before all those people moved in with their weird foreign talk") and blamed for the gentrification of the neighborhood. We take the hits from riots but when the media covers it its "black on white" or "property damage" and the race of the people suffering gets glossed. And then, because we've absorbed those messages too, we don't form common cause because the easy path out is to step on the heads of blacks and hispanics- be the good minority, they'll kill us last.

I think to some degree this trend is slowly reversing as Asian American becomes more of a true identity for younger As-Ams. A lot of this can be traced to older, first or second generation immigrants who had a very Don't Rock the Boat, Play Along sort of attitude toward race relations. But the consequences of our failure to recognize our own position on the board and who was playing us is going to bite us among other PoC for a long loving time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Race Realists posted:

FTFY. Also what?

There is a streak of fundamentalist christian homophobia and toxic masculinity in the black community that sometimes manifests as violence against queer people. It wasn't a hard sentence to parse my dude.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There is a streak of fundamentalist christian homophobia and toxic masculinity in the black community that sometimes manifests as violence against queer people. It wasn't a hard sentence to parse my dude.

Sorry, should've been more specific. The part about black women being the most undesirable

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
from my perspective as a chinese american who came from a place that was mostly chinese/taiwanese, there's absolutely a contingent of the community that are chinese racial supremacists, and who have made common cause with white supremacists; it's no accident that a lot of the pro-peter liang organizers are also involved in organizing chinese for trump

this manifests itself into some dylann roof-levels of hatred for black and hispanic people, and chinese racial supremacists usually look down on southeast asians too (while deigning to speak for all asians)

this is mainly amongst first generation immigrants, though; people my generation are far more often than not very pro-BLM, a tiny but vocal minority of shitlords aside

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 8, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
im gonna post alot of alt-right/white nationalist poo poo ITT

gotta you whats really going on :freep:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have a question that I've been curious about for a while and this seems like the appropriate place to ask - Why has "people of color" become one of the more acceptable terms for referring to black people and other minorities, when "colored people" has historically been pretty awful?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do wonder how fair it is to try and claim the black community is uniquely bigoted towards the LGBT community. The black community is subject to the same social forces pushing LGBT hatred as white America is. Is there really a unique issue in the black community or is it just that LGBT hatred is an issue in American culture, and the black community exists within American culture like everyone else?

Admittedly, I am sensitive to this because, as a white outsider, I have primarily seen the idea of "black homophobia" used to try and nullify and deflect away from the realities of racism. A lot of white people uncomfortable with the truth about modern racism are quick to try and vilify the black community to try and weaken their sense of personal moral responsibility.

If it is considered as a unique issue within the black community however, instead of just from an outsider perspective, I would like to hear more about it though.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Race Realists posted:

Sorry, should've been more specific. The part about black women being the most undesirable

Look at any study from pretty much any dating website or any media from the past 40 years. Men desire black woman features, not black women.

Also there's a difference between saying "there's toxic masculinity in the black community" and "black masculinity is toxic" and I'll let you guess which is acceptable to say and which isn't.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

negromancer posted:

Look at any study from pretty much any dating website or any media from the past 40 years. Men desire black woman features, not black women.

See also: white people stealing black people beauty trends and making them "hip" and "fashionable" while the originators get ground down as "ghetto" and "trashy"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do wonder how fair it is to try and claim the black community is uniquely bigoted towards the LGBT community. The black community is subject to the same social forces pushing LGBT hatred as white America is. Is there really a unique issue in the black community or is it just that LGBT hatred is an issue in American culture, and the black community exists within American culture like everyone else?

Admittedly, I am sensitive to this because, as a white outsider, I have primarily seen the idea of "black homophobia" used to try and nullify and deflect away from the realities of racism. A lot of white people uncomfortable with the truth about modern racism are quick to try and vilify the black community to try and weaken their sense of personal moral responsibility.

If it is considered as a unique issue within the black community however, instead of just from an outsider perspective, I would like to hear more about it though.

I think it boils down to the simple rule of:

We should loving know better.

It's people literally walking this earth right now in 2016 that will talk about black liberation and freedom, then 5 minutes later talk about how gay marriage needs to go away. The fact that the connection in their brains has never been made that part of the liberation would be a) from the religious bullshit forced upon us as slaves, as we didn't come here Christians, and b) you can't fight for freedom while taking away someone else's.

That being said, it doesn't excuses black homophobia, sexism, or transphobia, but virtually every problem in the black community can be traced back to slavery and our treatment at the hands of white America.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
hahaha YESSSS

https://twitter.com/UKMoments/status/795944529266376704

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I just made a way better post about this in the Misogynoir thread! Goddamn.

Koalas March posted:

Let me get my gossip on because I'm bored at work and waiting for some videos to render.

In case ya'll didn't know, Prince Harry has been dating Meghan Markle since at least August. She is a biracial actress who has been getting slammed by UK tabloids, most ridiculously for being "visibly black". The entire thing has been shitshow.

quote:

As I’ve mentioned in my coverage of Prince Harry’s relationship with Meghan Markle, even though it was a British paper that initially broke the news that they were dating, the American magazines have been taking the lead on exclusives, with US Weekly in particular the first to confirm that Harry was actually in Toronto when UK gossips thought he’d cancelled a trip there and following up with another exclusive about Meghan being invited by Harry to spend his birthday with him at Balmoral which is where she met his father, Prince Charles. And, as I told you, this is significant in two ways: he’s serious about her and he’s been seriously unimpressed with how the UK tabloids have reported on the situation, dragging rogue relatives out to call Meghan a golddigger and the Daily Mail repeatedly mentioning that her mother has dreadlocks, and one headline describing her background as “Straight Outta Compton”. It was a subtle warning to British press – I can easily take my information to the American media if you persist with this character assassination.

So today, Kensington Palace released an official statement:

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/795931735443861504

I found crazy surprising that they straight up called it sexism and racism. I don't follow UK politics, but I'm guessing this will just throw more fuel on the fire the chances of the tabloids chilling the gently caress out will be zero.

Some things I also found kinda interesting:

- He introduced her to his family on his birthday.

- Prompt Official Royal Statement

and this:

quote:

Last week I reported that Harry informed his team about his relationship with Meghan back in August. So he was serious enough about her even then to have his advisors ready to protect her. Now that he’s confirmed her status, as his girlfriend proper, though, it also means that she is now officially their responsibility, with access to his considerable resources. It took a lot longer for Prince William to do this for Kate Middleton.

Seethe racist Brits. Seethe.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

negromancer posted:

That being said, it doesn't excuses black homophobia, sexism, or transphobia, but virtually every problem in the black community can be traced back to slavery and our treatment at the hands of white America.

Yeah, I guess what I get caught up on is that if a white person is a bigot, its called homophobia. If a black person is a bigot, it seems to be called "black homophobia" like its a unique and different issue even though it comes from the same social and religious forces.

I do also think white people have an unfair expectation that people who have suffered oppression should be cleansed of their own bigotry, and we get shocked and upset when people who have faced oppression are not perfect themselves.

It's like what you said, yes people who have faced oppression should be able to make connections between their own oppression and the oppression of others. But, I also think the fact that many people don't make that connection is a universal problem and not necessarily a black one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The lower the income and the more inner city, the more hypermasculinity is pushed. That statistically applies to black people to a large degree, and even when one does not belong to that group themselves, they are often one generation removed from it due to not being allowed out of it until the 70s.

Southern Protestants focus more on sin than most other brands of Christianity, and purposely harp on homosxuality since it's a "safe" sin that does not apply to a large portion of its members (unlike things like gluttony or fornication). Black people are statistically more Southern Protestant, or one generation removed from that.

Black people have extremely low rates of marriage and have large problems with finding others to date. It becomes easy to blame outside sources for this.

Black people are often naturally paranoid at outside sources attempting to control them as a group and many are prone to conspiracy theories. Many easily latch on to a homosexual agenda for that reason.

It's basically a combination of a group being part of so many demographics that lend itself to this type of thinking. It's uniquely high and powerful to this demographic because of that combination.

• Locked thread