Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The tabloid press here in the UK have been on a rampage lately and they're barely even bothering to code their racism and xenophobia at this stage. It's a pretty radical departure for the palace to have an opinion on something like this and it's pretty amazing that in order to see they've crossed a line the press have to piss off literal royalty with their swivel-eyed bigotry. Now that the racists think half the country is on their side they're getting bolder, if anything.

https://twitter.com/matthew_weaver/status/786499886271307776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's like what you said, yes people who have faced oppression should be able to make connections between their own oppression and the oppression of others. But, I also think the fact that many people don't make that connection is a universal problem and not necessarily a black one.

every person that trots out the irish is screaming proof of that

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A black baby fell into a gorilla enclosure and they shot the gorilla because they couldn't guarantee they could get to the baby before the gorilla noticed it, because in a "pick one" situation the human life is more important than the gorilla's life.

Then a lot of people got really mad that they "murdered" an innocent gorilla to save a baby who was lost by an "irresponsible mother" and all these coded words started getting thrown around and eventually it spawned this alt right "dicks out for harambe" thing. But the core of the issue is basically that these people think they should have let the baby die instead of the gorilla because it's that terrible mother's fault that the baby was in the cage. Cuz, you know, only black moms lose track of their kids at the zoo. No white child has ever zoomed around like a cracked out ping pong ball trying to see every aminal possible.

Wait, the kid that got into the enclosure was black? I don't remember that being mentioned in literally any of the news stories about it.

Yeah, I can see how that would turn the whole story pretty toxic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wish Prince Harry wasn't so far down the line of succession because the possibility of a black prince hanging like the sword of damacles over the Brexit crowd in England for a few years would be fantastic

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wish Prince Harry wasn't so far down the line of succession because the possibility of a black prince hanging like the sword of damacles over the Brexit crowd in England for a few years would be fantastic

If nothing else it would be worth it to see the Duke of Edinburgh mind his Ps and Qs and have to explain some of the things he's said in the past.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PT6A posted:

Wait, the kid that got into the enclosure was black? I don't remember that being mentioned in literally any of the news stories about it.

Yeah, I can see how that would turn the whole story pretty toxic.

Basically, it started out as people arguing about whether the parent was at fault or not.

Then it was released that the kid was black and more people mysteriously started thinking the parent was at fault.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Only in my wildest dreams.

Not in the line of succession iirc but there is Her Serene Highness, Princess Angela of Liechtenstein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Angela_of_Liechtenstein

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Darko posted:

It's basically a combination of a group being part of so many demographics that lend itself to this type of thinking. It's uniquely high and powerful to this demographic because of that combination.

I come from poor as gently caress rural Appalachia though and literally all of those things also apply to white homophobia. Pennsyltucky is a vastly majority white community but because its poor and isolated it also struggles with hypermasculinity, religion, low marriage rates, and outsider paranoia. I wonder how fair it is to consider it a "black" problem when it seems to be universal to any isolated and impoverished community.

I think there is an importance in making a distinction between "problems that affect the black community" and "black community problems"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I'd think the one-two punch of poverty and racist persecution probably amplifies those problems even more though. Being poor and white has a lot of similarities to being poor and black but we can't go thinking that racism hasn't a multiplicative effect on those kind of problems.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I come from poor as gently caress rural Appalachia though and literally all of those things also apply to white homophobia. Pennsyltucky is a vastly majority white community but because its poor and isolated it also struggles with hypermasculinity, religion, low marriage rates, and outsider paranoia. I wonder how fair it is to consider it a "black" problem when it seems to be universal to any isolated and impoverished community.

I think there is an importance in making a distinction between "problems that affect the black community" and "black community problems"

The difference is that the vast majority of black people come from one place as opposed to being isolated in different pockets. Black people generally came from nothing in the South, and having that brand of Christianity forced on them. Then a good portion moved to the cities for work and were forced into pockets of poor inner cities.

Because of the unique way in which they spread, as opposed to the "whole" of white people. It's something that touches more of them as a percentage than white people, making it a more unique issue.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Speaking of the UK: for any UK goons in the thread, tomorrow BBC 2's got the first episode of Black and British: A Forgotten History at 9pm, about the UK's history with Africans, followed at 10pm by the first episode of Black is the New Black, where famous black Brits talk about their experience of being black and British.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Race Realists posted:

Sorry, should've been more specific. The part about black women being the most undesirable

Go look at #WhiteGirlWednesday or #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter. Black men very frequently treat black women as less desirable than white women. The reasons for this are super complicated and I will leave it to better posters than me to go into, but black men have internalized societal dislike of black women's appearance quite a bit.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To me, the difference is in circumstances. Queer people of color are already way more marginalized simply by their racial heritage, and then in turn their queer identities marginalize them from their already marginal community. So the white world hates them, and the black world hates them, so there's basically no one to turn to.

So the difference is in outcomes. Violence against queer POC is so much higher than violence against white queer people. Ditto the number of queer people in sex work. Ditto the number of queer people in jails, etc. I agree that it would be unfair to say "black homophobia is worse than white homophobia". I think the issue is more "the results of black homophobia are worse than the results of white homophobia".

When you couple that with the pressure to be extremely masculine within poorer black communities, it's natural that violence is inflicted on those who don't attempt to fit into that framework. And unlike a poor white queer person, who might have access to at least some resources to help them leave their situation, black queer people often find themselves unable to leave the community that is rejecting them. See my example in the mysoginoir thread about people just assuming all black transwomen are prostitutes. Good luck getting a job even at McDonald's when that's the stigma you walk in with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When you couple that with the pressure to be extremely masculine within poorer black communities, it's natural that violence is inflicted on those who don't attempt to fit into that framework. And unlike a poor white queer person, who might have access to at least some resources to help them leave their situation, black queer people often find themselves unable to leave the community that is rejecting them. See my example in the mysoginoir thread about people just assuming all black transwomen are prostitutes. Good luck getting a job even at McDonald's when that's the stigma you walk in with.

That's fair. As I've said before, I think one of the reasons I am reluctant to want to make the distinction is because of how I have seen the white community use it as a weapon.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's fair. As I've said before, I think one of the reasons I am reluctant to want to make the distinction is because of how I have seen the white community use it as a weapon.

I get that, but that's really a criticism of the white community and distinct from the problems within the black community. Both problems need to be addressed, but I think trying to say that white homophobia and black homophobia are the same erases the experiences of queer people of color. As I said in the misogynoir thread, I pass for white and definitely experience way fewer problems than my black trans friends, even from their own families. I have seen people's families say poo poo about them right in front of me that they would never say about me. It's a special kind of thing, where black families have a specific mold they expect their children to try to grow into, and if you break that mold there's a special level of rejection to go with it.

And part of that is absolutely the legacy of racism ("don't try to break the mold, you're only bringing negative attention to us") and part of it is the particular flavors of of christianity practiced in the black community and part of it is the geographic locations of majority black communities, and part of it is poverty and so on. It's loving complicated.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I get that, but that's really a criticism of the white community and distinct from the problems within the black community. Both problems need to be addressed, but I think trying to say that white homophobia and black homophobia are the same erases the experiences of queer people of color.

Yeah that's completely reasonable

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Once again Minorities are probably going to save this country from itself.

https://twitter.com/AyoTristan/status/795971247494615044

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Go look at #WhiteGirlWednesday or #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter. Black men very frequently treat black women as less desirable than white women. The reasons for this are super complicated and I will leave it to better posters than me to go into, but black men have internalized societal dislike of black women's appearance quite a bit.

Attraction to that degree is based more on experience than anything else, and black men are naturally more attracted to black women than anyone else because they grow up around them, in general, and thus have more positive points of relation to them than other people do. While they have the same media as everyone else that tells them white is the best (outside of the subservient Asian exotics!), this is at least somewhat offset by growing up and having enough positive relationships with black women to relate more good things to their looks than the norm.

However, there are still a few large issues that cause black men to go for other races at times. A few are things like:

- Black MALES are subconsciously viewed as "not as good as" for DATING as well, when it comes to other races, and this easily creates complexes with them, especially as they go through upward mobility. The annoyance of seeing white people/people of other races who are doing worse than them in practically every single way, still get more attraction and access to more women creates a large annoyance that can often turn into a complex. Then they start trying to "beat" those guys in getting "better" women than them, which ends up meaning what society thinks of as better, which often leaves black women behind.

As a huge anecdote, I think every black male who I've met that is rich/upper middle class has confided being affected by this to some degree to me. "Bootstrapping" oneself up and still having things not allowed to people through no fault of their own often creates complexes about whatever the fault is.

(Not unique to black males at all, and happens among many minorities)

- Black men who have had a lot of negative experiences with outsource that into blame. Think the nerdy guy who can't get a date because of his own fault, and then rages against all women. It's basically these same guys, but now it's about race as opposed to girls not wanting nice guys or whatever.

- It's still impossible to not have media representation of beauty affect you at all, and some black men, even with tons of positive black women around them growing up, view them as inferior just as everyone else does.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Darko posted:

Attraction to that degree is based more on experience than anything else, and black men are naturally more attracted to black women than anyone else because they grow up around them, in general, and thus have more positive points of relation to them than other people do. While they have the same media as everyone else that tells them white is the best (outside of the subservient Asian exotics!), this is at least somewhat offset by growing up and having enough positive relationships with black women to relate more good things to their looks than the norm.

However, there are still a few large issues that cause black men to go for other races at times. A few are things like:

- Black MALES are subconsciously viewed as "not as good as" for DATING as well, when it comes to other races, and this easily creates complexes with them, especially as they go through upward mobility. The annoyance of seeing white people/people of other races who are doing worse than them in practically every single way, still get more attraction and access to more women creates a large annoyance that can often turn into a complex. Then they start trying to "beat" those guys in getting "better" women than them, which ends up meaning what society thinks of as better, which often leaves black women behind.

As a huge anecdote, I think every black male who I've met that is rich/upper middle class has confided being affected by this to some degree to me. "Bootstrapping" oneself up and still having things not allowed to people through no fault of their own often creates complexes about whatever the fault is.

(Not unique to black males at all, and happens among many minorities)

- Black men who have had a lot of negative experiences with outsource that into blame. Think the nerdy guy who can't get a date because of his own fault, and then rages against all women. It's basically these same guys, but now it's about race as opposed to girls not wanting nice guys or whatever.

- It's still impossible to not have media representation of beauty affect you at all, and some black men, even with tons of positive black women around them growing up, view them as inferior just as everyone else does.

I agree with all of this.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I agree with all of this.

And as always the response to these men should be:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 8, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:lol:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the fresh prince of windsor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm of two minds about this.

Any black dude who makes it well known and has to preach it from the mountain tops about how he doesn't date Black chicks is an rear end in a top hat and deserves all the scorn he gets, full stop.

But I've also seen black dudes who are dating or married to white chicks get dragged by the "hyper woke" black chick for who they just happened to fall in love with.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

I'm of two minds about this.

Any black dude who makes it well known and has to preach it from the mountain tops about how he doesn't date Black chicks is an rear end in a top hat and deserves all the scorn he gets, full stop.

But I've also seen black dudes who are dating or married to white chicks get dragged by the "hyper woke" black chick for who they just happened to fall in love with.

This exactly. And it doesn't matter really how you feel about black women if you're making 6 figures or more, because the numbers game catches you eventually.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

As an aside there is nothing more amusing than watching all the females in your family sit your cousin's white wife down and have a 4 hour long pow wow after Thanksgiving dinner on how the gently caress to deal with their child's hair. That Thanksgiving 2 years ago was funny as all hell. Like my aunts brought products and loving everything for her.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

As an aside there is nothing more amusing than watching all the females in your family sit your cousin's white wife down and have a 4 hour long pow wow after Thanksgiving dinner on how the gently caress to deal with their child's hair. That Thanksgiving 2 years ago was funny as all hell. Like my aunts brought products and loving everything.

They did the right thing

edit: hahaha holy poo poo

I'm loving rolling

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Koalas March posted:

And as always the response to these men should be:

Grats on the first Redtext of the thread.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Koalas March posted:

They did the right thing

I'm loving rolling

Oh wow, someone was salty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there some millionaire white guy with nothing better to do that spend :10bux: every ten minutes to drop redtext burns on black posters?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ThingOne posted:

Grats on the first Redtext of the thread.

djw175 posted:

Oh wow, someone was salty.

the loving irony is so multilayered

I might die laughing at work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wait who isn't a fan of Mulatto people?

Light Skinned dudes and chicks get all the play in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbquDj3mkGc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

negromancer posted:

This exactly. And it doesn't matter really how you feel about black women if you're making 6 figures or more, because the numbers game catches you eventually.

What do you mean here? (I'm just not quite sure which angle you're coming from)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Lawl, holy poo poo KM. Who'd you piss off?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

how did that even happen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want to know who is spending hundreds of combined dollars on passive-aggressive avatars in D&D... and thank them for saving the site.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how did that even happen

Apparently someone really, really doesn't like Waiting to Exhale, or reading this thread.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Wait who isn't a fan of Mulatto people?

Light Skinned dudes and chicks get all the play in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbquDj3mkGc

Easy with the M term, halfrican american, please.

E: EEEEYIKES KM.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Only in my wildest dreams.

Not in the line of succession iirc but there is Her Serene Highness, Princess Angela of Liechtenstein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Angela_of_Liechtenstein

the rabbit hole goes much deeper than you think http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/246522-Black-Royals-In-Europe

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

haha holy poo poo, I never thought I'd see anyone link to LA on here.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Koalas March posted:

They did the right thing

I'm loving rolling

:trumppop:

I wonder if it's the same dude who gave out the avatars in the QCS thread or a different idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

:trumppop:

I wonder if it's the same dude who gave out the avatars in the QCS thread or a different idiot.

I'm torn between dragging this anonymous moron and just being like "lmao nobody tell them" because it's super apparent they have not read this or the misogynoir thread.

like holy poo poo I didn't realize saying "black women should not wait and pine for specific men who clearly do not want them" with a gif would be so polarizing

yikes

• Locked thread