Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koalas March posted:

I'm torn between dragging this anonymous moron and just being like "lmao nobody tell them" because it's super apparent they have not read this or the misogynoir thread.

like holy poo poo I didn't realize saying "black women should not wait and pine for specific men who clearly do not want them" with a gif would be so polarizing

yikes

I doubt they really think this, it's just TIC style "extrapolate racism out of everything someone says involving race"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Wait who isn't a fan of Mulatto people?

Oh, some folks.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I doubt they really think this, it's just TIC style "extrapolate racism out of everything someone says involving race"

actually now that you say that I am like 80% sure I know who it was and you are right :allears:

This is absolutely true. And the fact that a slur that has been used against me, many times is in my av is very.. telling.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
E: crazy double post.

drat phone posting.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

What do you mean here? (I'm just not quite sure which angle you're coming from)

As in, take me for instance.

I have zero inclination to date outside of my race. To me having a shared cultural bond is very very important, and I don't want to have to explain central parts of me to someone ("what's understood doesn't have to be explained").

That being said, as I climb the corporate ladder, it becomes increasingly white, and white women look at black men in that situation different than black women.

To a black woman, I'm still a black man first and foremost, and they have a wildly different cultural upbringing than white women, so my income or career path isn't really a motivating factor when it comes to dating. White women, it absolutely is. A man in his late 20s already making 6 figures is a catch for a white woman in corporate America, and my race for a lot of them becomes secondary.

Also, white women have ZERO shame in the workplace in my experience of approaching men and going after what they want, though black women culturally are still stuck in this mindset of "a man must come to me and recognize my greatness", though that gameplan statistically will not work in their favor whatsoever.

That's just my observations from corporate America.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PT6A posted:

Wait, the kid that got into the enclosure was black? I don't remember that being mentioned in literally any of the news stories about it.

Yeah, I can see how that would turn the whole story pretty toxic.

Not only that but there is the whole thing about how America was willing to be outraged at the death of the gorilla, but when innocent black people are shot and killed, they don't make a loving sound.

Then you have the whole gorilla=black people thing where people compared Leslie Jones to Harambe

Then you just have the frequent "ironic" usage of the stupid loving meme, and it isn't hard to see that the meme is definitely coming from a very racial place that people love to feign ignorance about.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

At least they were smart enough to not reveal themselves, because that ban would have come on swift wings.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

At least they were smart enough to not reveal themselves, because that ban would have come on swift wings.

It kinda sucks that they didn't though because that would have been an interesting conversation.

I think the divide between black men and women when it comes to interracial dating is really interesting and actually important.

Like holy poo poo, did you see the way some folks were treating Mike Colter when they found out his wife was white?

But also, it seems like way more black women are dating outside of the race and that's good, imo, especially when you take into account how undesirable white supremacy tries to make black women at every turn.

Then again in this very thread I mentioned my black/italian/latinx family, my Irish fiance, and cheered on Harry/Meghan on that very same page.. so yeah I think that person was being very, very disingenuous.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

blackguy32 posted:

Not only that but there is the whole thing about how America was willing to be outraged at the death of the gorilla, but when innocent black people are shot and killed, they don't make a loving sound.

Then you have the whole gorilla=black people thing where people compared Leslie Jones to Harambe

Then you just have the frequent "ironic" usage of the stupid loving meme, and it isn't hard to see that the meme is definitely coming from a very racial place that people love to feign ignorance about.

It got to the point where a university had to ask people to stop literally waving their exposed dicks at the "Harambe Hall" dormitory, which was an exclusively black dorm that had had that name for 20+ years.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It got to the point where a university had to ask people to stop literally waving their exposed dicks at the "Harambe Hall" dormitory, which was an exclusively black dorm that had had that name for 20+ years.

Harambe has been around for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rLRP709zU

drat, I miss the Boondocks, but not the last season because that season was trash.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Koalas March posted:

But also, it seems like way more black women are dating outside of the race and that's good, imo, especially when you take into account how undesirable white supremacy tries to make black women at every turn.

I've dated mostly white men, and I have a few black girlfriends who do as well. I've had black men say horrendous things about it.

In my incredibly pale dating history, I have noticed something which may not apply for all. When it comes to white men, I think more actually are interested in black women than they let on, or that they feel is socially acceptable. I've often been the "first black girl" (which isn't technically true) for a lot of white dudes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

As an aside there is nothing more amusing than watching all the females in your family sit your cousin's white wife down and have a 4 hour long pow wow after Thanksgiving dinner on how the gently caress to deal with their child's hair. That Thanksgiving 2 years ago was funny as all hell. Like my aunts brought products and loving everything for her.
I find that really sweet :)

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Wrt interracial dating, specifically in the caseof people like Mike Colter, there's the wildly unreasonable and unrealistic expectation among successful and well-educated black men that are successful that we should "wait" until a black woman finds us worthy so that our success can stay in the community.

I've heard many comments from single black women while I'm single about how I better not end up with a white woman because we need to keep our success in the community, but they themselves had no interest in me.

In Mike Colters case, he didn't meet her once he got on, they had been dating since grad school when he was a broke rear end college student. Can't be mad at that.

That being said, any black person I meet that ONLY dates outside their race I sideeye the gently caress out of them, barring extenuating circumstances (i.e., lived in a town where they were the only black people, etc).

negromancer fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 8, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

Wrt interracial dating, specifically in the rear end of people like Mike Colter, there's the wildly unreasonable and unrealistic expectation among successful and well-educated black men that are successful that we should "wait" until a black woman finds us worthy so that our success can stay in the community.

I've heard many comments from single black women while I'm single about how I better not end up with a white woman because we need to keep our success in the community, but they themselves had no interest in me.

My aunt is totally one of this people, it drives me crazy.

I like to see myself as a sexual explorer. I've had almost everyone. Black, white, Asian, Latinx, male, female, cis, trans. It was fun but I won't miss it. Dating is hell.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

To a black woman, I'm still a black man first and foremost, and they have a wildly different cultural upbringing than white women, so my income or career path isn't really a motivating factor when it comes to dating. White women, it absolutely is. A man in his late 20s already making 6 figures is a catch for a white woman in corporate America, and my race for a lot of them becomes secondary.

Also, white women have ZERO shame in the workplace in my experience of approaching men and going after what they want, though black women culturally are still stuck in this mindset of "a man must come to me and recognize my greatness", though that gameplan statistically will not work in their favor whatsoever.

Hey uh kill whitey and all but I'm really not comfortable with characterizing women of any stripe as gold-digging. And I don't particularly like that stereotype of black women either - that's some hostile poo poo black men say after they get rejected. Let's not gently caress up the intersectionality game here. Women are people.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I've had black women comment on me dating Hispanic women. But yeah, it can be a complex issue. I know black men who get upset when black women date white men and I know black women who get upset when black men date non-black women. poo poo's complicated, sometimes I feel much better about being single.

I still find it really creepy that Asian women are so sought after when it comes to interracial dating.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

negromancer posted:

As in, take me for instance.

I have zero inclination to date outside of my race. To me having a shared cultural bond is very very important, and I don't want to have to explain central parts of me to someone ("what's understood doesn't have to be explained").

That being said, as I climb the corporate ladder, it becomes increasingly white, and white women look at black men in that situation different than black women.

That's just my observations from corporate America.

Don't you think this is a little overly broad? I mean your interests are your interests, but there are plenty of clueless black women out there, about cultural experiences or anything else.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hey uh kill whitey and all but I'm really not comfortable with characterizing women of any stripe as gold-digging. And I don't particularly like that stereotype of black women either - that's some hostile poo poo black men say after they get rejected. Let's not gently caress up the intersectionality game here. Women are people.

This is a good point that I totally missed.

Also I have had black guys (literally in a group) come up to me in the mall asking why I'm with a white guy, and another black dude literally high five him for "picking up a sista"

Life is strange.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Koalas March posted:

My aunt is totally one of this people, it drives me crazy.

I like to see myself as a sexual explorer. I've had almost everyone. Black, white, Asian, Latinx, male, female, cis, trans. It was fun but I won't miss it. Dating is hell.

I get what you're saying, but this phrasing makes me extremely uncomfortable. Like you're listing off conquests or trophies or something.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

I still find it really creepy that Asian women are so sought after when it comes to interracial dating.

Pretty sure that's just straight up misogyny. Asian women tend to be smaller than white women on average and have a reputation for being demure and obedient. Pretty much every guy I've ever met who was a little too into Asian women was just a huge rear end in a top hat about women and basically wanted a real doll for a girlfriend.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

botany posted:

Pretty sure that's just straight up misogyny. Asian women tend to be smaller than white women on average and have a reputation for being demure and obedient. Pretty much every guy I've ever met who was a little too into Asian women was just a huge rear end in a top hat about women and basically wanted a real doll for a girlfriend.

It's Orientalism. Asian women are the ultimate exotic creature because they speak some mysterious other language, and our society loves to pin all these weird stereotypes on them about how they're good homemakers, dedicated wives, etc.

I mean, look at this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bGjxVQS-4

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

It's Orientalism. Asian women are the ultimate exotic creature because they speak some mysterious other language, and our society loves to pin all these weird stereotypes on them about how they're good homemakers, dedicated wives, etc.

I mean, look at this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bGjxVQS-4

:catstare: what the gently caress

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

botany posted:

I have literally had a skeevy coworker use those words to describe why he likes dating Asian women (except throw the words "self cleaning" in front of "real doll for a girlfriend" for extra :gonk: ).

Jesus Christ people are terrible.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Not saying they are gold-digging, I'm saying they have different priorities due to upbringing. A LOT of my white women coworkers grew up in homes with a dad that worked and a mom that didn't, or a mom that was able to not work during their formative years and could sustain on a single income.

Black women have been pretty much told at every turn that black men cannot provide that kind of life for them, that it's a relic of the past, etc etc, so they don't take into account income as high of a priority, especially if they are a high income earner themselves as an initial barrier. The media targeted at black women doesn't require black men to have financial stability. The households black people grow up in are given different lessons about dating and marriage than white households, on average. Hell, look at the difference between what black people consider a "good job" for a black man versus a "good job" among white people in corporate America.

A black woman, in my experience, will care more about a mans height than his wallet in corporate America. The white women are thinking "can he afford a house, can we go single income, etc" because that's the prep they received at home and through media targeted at them. It's the lessons and upbringing that are different, and it causes a diverging where they can look at the same high earning black man and come to wildly different conclusions about his suitability for dating, though they have the same education and have the same jobs in corporate America.

We had a very diverse team at my last job and our team of black women, white women, gay white dude, and 2 black men used to discuss this all the time, since we were all single NYC transplants.

That being said, there's gonna be white women that don't care how much you make because BLACK trumps all else and they ain't with the shits, and that's like half of them at least off the rip.

But I don't know poo poo personally, I've just been hit on a lot by white women in the workplace, never actually dated one.

Koalas March posted:

Also I have had black guys (literally in a group) come up to me in the mall asking why I'm with a white guy, and another black dude literally high five him for "picking up a sista"

Life is strange.

There's also this reaction, and that's because a LOT of black women talk about how they have ZERO interest in white men for a multitude of reasons.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I get what you're saying, but this phrasing makes me extremely uncomfortable. Like you're listing off conquests or trophies or something.

Aww man, I'm sorry. You are right that's poorly worded.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Not saying they are gold-digging, I'm saying they have different priorities due to upbringing. A LOT of my white women coworkers grew up in homes with a dad that worked and a mom that didn't, or a mom that was able to not work during their formative years and could sustain on a single income.
There's also this reaction, and that's because a LOT of black women talk about how they have ZERO interest in white men for a multitude of reasons.
Naw maaaannn, this is some "I just meant black culture" poo poo. Please don't. Women are people and you are not a woman so don't tell women how they are. "Black women care more about a man's height than his wallet" what? Women are people, they care about what they as individual human beings want in another person.

If we can't talk about the minefield of interracial dating without getting into sexist stereotyping maybe we should drop it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

botany posted:

:catstare: what the gently caress

Commercials for that poo poo air all the time here. It's so gross. Commercials for anastasiadate air a lot too, though I can't find the particular one on youtube this whole channel should give you an idea of how grossly American men stereotype women from Asia and Eastern Europe: youtube.com/user/anastasiadate

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If we can't talk about the minefield of interracial dating without getting into sexist stereotyping maybe we should drop it.

I second this, honestly.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A black baby fell into a gorilla enclosure and they shot the gorilla because they couldn't guarantee they could get to the baby before the gorilla noticed it, because in a "pick one" situation the human life is more important than the gorilla's life.

Then a lot of people got really mad that they "murdered" an innocent gorilla to save a baby who was lost by an "irresponsible mother" and all these coded words started getting thrown around and eventually it spawned this alt right "dicks out for harambe" thing. But the core of the issue is basically that these people think they should have let the baby die instead of the gorilla because it's that terrible mother's fault that the baby was in the cage. Cuz, you know, only black moms lose track of their kids at the zoo. No white child has ever zoomed around like a cracked out ping pong ball trying to see every aminal possible.

Thank you for this explanation. I had heard about the gorilla thing in passing, but did not know the child was black or that so much sprung up around it. I had no idea that dicks out for Harambe was an alt-right thing, but I am glad to be educated on it.

I was a holy terror as a white child and it's probably just luck I never fell into anywhere deadly. I can't imagine pinning childhood energy-idiocy on race. :(

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Koalas March posted:

I have been on the other side of this, where when my black coworkers (mostly women) literally congratulated me for dating a black woman when they met my fiance. Wondering if that is a thing you have seen, cause it honestly made me feel kinda awkward.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mind over Matter posted:

Thank you for this explanation. I had heard about the gorilla thing in passing, but did not know the child was black or that so much sprung up around it. I had no idea that dicks out for Harambe was an alt-right thing, but I am glad to be educated on it.

I was a holy terror as a white child and it's probably just luck I never fell into anywhere deadly. I can't imagine pinning childhood energy-idiocy on race. :(

This was also me. Realizing the kid was black makes the whole thing way more :stare: re: memes.

I remember just being sad they had to kill a zoo animal that didn't do anything. I feel bad now. :smith:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mind over Matter posted:

The kid was 4, iirc, and a big thing the internet harped on was that he had allegedly told his mother "I want to go in the gorilla cage" earlier that day. So a lot of childless nerds waved that around as damning evidence because they have no idea how much random poo poo kids that age say literally every moment they're awake. Also the mother committed the terrible sin of having multiple children.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The kid was 4, iirc, and a big thing the internet harped on was that he had allegedly told his mother "I want to go in the gorilla cage" earlier that day. So a lot of childless nerds waved that around as damning evidence because they have no idea how much random poo poo kids that age say literally every moment they're awake. Also the mother committed the terrible sin of having multiple children.

I bet she was on welfare too! (a thing I have actually heard).

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

negromancer posted:

I've always worried that it was the "white guys have small dicks" stereotype. Speaking of which, (and if you want, I'll just delete the question) how much do you guys have to deal with the reverse of that?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Talmonis posted:

I've always worried that it was the "white guys have small dicks" stereotype. Speaking of which, (and if you want, I'll just delete the question) how much do you guys have to deal with the reverse of that?

Step back for a moment, and consider the fact that you have just purported that penis size is a primary factor in why women choose their partners. Ruminate on that for a little bit, and then decide how you want to proceed with this inquiry.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Step back for a moment, and consider the fact that you have just purported that penis size is a primary factor in why women choose their partners. Ruminate on that for a little bit, and then decide how you want to proceed with this inquiry.

Body image issues are a common reason for low confidence, particularly in dating. If it sounds like I'm saying that it's a primary factor, that's not what I intended and I apologize if I was offensive. But, I do think it's something people think about when considering dating someone for the first time. People are shallow, men and women both.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nobody thinks about your dick as much as you do. Full stop.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Talmonis posted:

Body image issues are a common reason for low confidence, particularly in dating. If it sounds like I'm saying that it's a primary factor, that's not what I intended and I apologize if I was offensive. But, I do think it's something people think about when considering dating someone for the first time. People are shallow, men and women both.

You 100% do not understand women at all. I suspect you don't understand most men either.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Nobody thinks about your dick as much as you do. Full stop.

FTFY

This is the quickest way to get over your own poo poo. Realize no one cares because they're worrying about their poo poo.

Negromancer has a great post about sweatpants in UPOL october if you need any more info tho, tal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

This is way outside the scope of the thread and honestly I don't want to get into it too much, but broadly women don't think about men's bodies the way men think about women's bodies. You can see that in the diversity of straight womens' "types" vs. men's, which tend to converge on a socialized ideal woman, and in the rare media that is made from a straight women's perspective to arouse straight women - the men at the object of that aren't the loose collection of body parts straight men's erotic depictions of women are. To generalize, just because men might think of a woman as an rear end or a pair of tits doesn't mean women think of men as a dick.

And man don't come into Negrotown asking about black dicks anyway. C'mon, you know better.

• Locked thread