Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

blackguy32 posted:

I actually started watching Dear White People while folding clothes today. Great movie outside of a few parts. Maybe I should do a write up of it.

When you're done with that, do a quick google for "Dear Black People" and be prepared to be utterly pissed off at idiot racists again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

When you're done with that, do a quick google for "Dear Black People" and be prepared to be utterly pissed off at idiot racists again.

Can't be too mad at that kind of dumb poo poo because for the stuff I dislike about the movie, it's so much deeper than "white people bad"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm going to go see Get Out tonight. I'll report back how good it was.

It sounds good on paper anyway.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I just got out of a matinee for Get Out. Hell of a flick. I will admit that the universal praise it's been getting from critics was actually a little offputting, as I was expecting at least a few white folks to get indignant about "reverse racism".

Preface: I am white.

What I appreciated the most about the movie was that it managed to avoid the trope that movies centered around black people often have, and that is the presence of what I like to call "White Jesus", a white character who "gets it" (more or less) so that white audience members can project themselves onto that character and happily remain in their bubble of self-congratulatory wokeness. Hidden Figures, for how much I liked it, had this in the John Glenn character. Here, every white character is an rear end in a top hat and a villain, to varying degrees. Even the ones ostensibly sympathetic to the main character gaslight the poo poo out of him. Also, concerning the ending, never in my life have I been so relieved to see the word 'Airport'.

Solid movie, I enjoyed the heck out of it, but again, that's just the opinion of one white woman trying to overcome her ignorance.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Black media isn't just knockoffs of white media. Black artists can just sincerely create art that speaks to audiences in similar ways to white media because hey turns out we're not actually that different from you. Tyler Perry makes movies for the portion of the black audience that likes misogyny, pratfalls, and treacly religious messages. Demanding the entire black community answer for that and then going "oh haha I don't watch that stuff I forget it exists" when black people point out the white media properties that do the exact same thing is staggeringly oblivious.

Insecure is such a good example of the subversion of this. Maybe the Wire too, because of the predominance of black actors, but it probably had mostly white producers/writers (similarly, Homicide: Life on the Street). And there is Chapelle's Show which was equally problematic and funny because Chapelle had to balance a racist white guy's idea of funny with his own idea of funny, iirc.

In Living Color was one of those shows where it's difficult to tell what was happening at all, and the Wayans brothers are so problematic who tf knows.

Insecure is such an awesome game changer. Sorry if it's been discussed to death.

e: not pretending to discuss every show that has black people centered in it. Just some standouts.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 25, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Insecure is fantastic, never apologize for talking about it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Get out was solid as gently caress. Though I'm not really sure if the message is too overbearing but then again it just may have resonated so insanely brightly that it seems not subtle

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I do see what you mean about White Savior movies and wonder if there is a kind of 'Bechtel test' for it.

It particularly jumped out at me in The Help, where the plucky young white female college student was the only one that could help the maids (much less care).

At least with Hidden Figures the women had a lot more agency in my opinion.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The way I see it is...

Is this a story mainly about people of color?
If it is, can the story be told without a white person?
Is the white person the main character?

But the one I see a lot is "Is there a white character that isn't a terrible person in this movie that I can project myself onto?"

But I don't know if that last one fits, because if it does, then Dear White People fails the test.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 25, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Honest question: has cinema given me the artificial impression that some white people have gone against societal norms to help further the cause of PoC throughout the last 70 years?

Is writing sympathetic whites into movies about civil rights a distortion of history?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 25, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That kind of thing is sort of similar to the "Washington (or whoever) treated his slaves well" meme, where there's this enormous misconception by modern white people that things were way less bad for black people than they actually were and that white people were not generally awful.

loving Texas-based public education.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

John Brown is what every white ally should aspire to imo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

Honest question: has cinema given me the artificial impression that some white people have gone against societal norms to help further the cause of PoC throughout the last 70 years?

Is writing sympathetic whites into movies about civil rights a distortion of history?

I doubt it's a total fabrication that some white people actually fighting for POC's right happened, but it's almost guaranteed to be in less numbers, of less significance, and in less purely heroic ways than it gets framed in media. Bernie marching for civil rights vs. sign-bashing desegregation scene.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The Civil Rights Movement was pretty unpopular when it was happening so the odds of sympathetic Whites at the time popping up all over movies about it kind of is a distortion.

I mean hell, even a lot of abolitionists didn't think Black people were equal to Whites in society.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
If we're talking black stories and film, Netflix added Imperial Dreams not too long ago. No white main characters to be seen and the main character's only 'friend/acquaintance' from a different social class seems to be a cop who pulls him over from time to time.

I'm white and Australian so like I have any perspective on the reality of the film, but I've seen other reviews say it's a good fiction film to sit alongside the documentary '13th', the story being what happens to someone trying to change their circumstances after leaving prison.

I'd say 'enjoying it' is probably the wrong words to use, but it's a good film that despite its setting feels persistently optimistic, or at least determined to rise above its' circumstances.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

I doubt it's a total fabrication that some white people actually fighting for POC's right happened, but it's almost guaranteed to be in less numbers, of less significance, and in less purely heroic ways than it gets framed in media. Bernie marching for civil rights vs. sign-bashing desegregation scene.

It's not that there weren't sympathetic white allies who were good and helpful, it's that media likes to present the mythical narrative that they were numerous/mainstream/whatever and allows modern white people to essentially say "if I lived back then, I would've been the good white person, because I am now!"

It's essentially #notallwhitepeople as a revisionist framework, rather than the specific insertion of fictional good white people, though that happens too I'm sure.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not that there weren't sympathetic white allies who were good and helpful, it's that media likes to present the mythical narrative that they were numerous/mainstream/whatever and allows modern white people to essentially say "if I lived back then, I would've been the good white person, because I am now!"

It's essentially #notallwhitepeople as a revisionist framework, rather than the specific insertion of fictional good white people, though that happens too I'm sure.

Um, yeah. That's what the discussion is about, media impact on out perception of white support for civil rights and POC in general.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

Um, yeah. That's what the discussion is about, media impact on out perception of white support for civil rights and POC in general.

I may have misread the discussion, ignore me then, sorry!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Octatonic posted:

John Brown is what every white ally should aspire to imo

or Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner

there's a balance to be walked in a lot of media because there's a false narrative for white people around the founding fathers, for example, that they can't be held morally responsible for their slavery because 'that was just the way people were back then' (same for admiration of sparta while ignoring the omnipresent slavery and misogyny, f.ex)

its the same false narrative that nazis after the war liked to use to protect their sense of self: 'well everyone supported the nazis so i couldn't have possibly done any different'

they're bullshit narratives because there were germans who died to protect jews during the holocaust, and white people who were murdered working for civil rights (or against the fugitive slave laws, and john brown) but bullshit narratives that are furthered with every historical or pseudo-historical treatment that ignores the dissident and those who resisted whatever bullshit was there

those people were (and are, like the vets helping the water protectors right now) aberrations, but ones that could and should have been emulated by the rest

e: get out takes place in the modern day and is obv fine, the discussion had widened some and im not trying to put that movie down at all or reference it specifically (esp. as i haven't seen it yet)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Cosmopolitan/status/836270195320700928

"Everybody wanna be a nigga, but nobody wanna be a nigga"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I am actually kind of amazed that she has stuck with it. I mean she could drop the tan and go back to having straight hair, but she hasn't.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

I am actually kind of amazed that she has stuck with it. I mean she could drop the tan and go back to having straight hair, but she hasn't.

At this point she needs to change her name.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

At this point she needs to change her name.

She did, the article says she's changed her name on all her legal documents.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

She did, the article says she's changed her name on all her legal documents.

That loving sucks.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious as hell how folks in this thread feel about the way the Best Picture Oscar fiasco went down.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A good result marred by being delivered in a manner that makes just about everyone involved feel like poo poo?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Am I projecting or is your new avatar slightly baffled/traumatized with the way the eyes were drawn?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the proper term is Dusty finish

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I'm curious as hell how folks in this thread feel about the way the Best Picture Oscar fiasco went down.

Ohhh internet told me.

Uhhh lol? I dunno it's a mixup what's the racial component?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Veskit posted:

Ohhh internet told me.

Uhhh lol? I dunno it's a mixup what's the racial component?

The racial component is how racists are responding to it in comments on trending articles.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The racial component is how racists are responding to it in comments on trending articles.

Internet comments are always trash. Why should they be given any weight? From what I can tell they just handed the presenters the wrong envelope and then acknowledged the mistake immediately on stage. Is there really any better way to handle that?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

To be fair racists respond to articles about puppies with racism.

Please be fair to racists and realize they make everything worse.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Am I projecting or is your new avatar slightly baffled/traumatized with the way the eyes were drawn?

You're not wrong, that bronto comes from the cover of this seminal work on the struggles of my people.

I don't know who bought it for me, but if you're reading this, I like it very much :3:

Re: Moonlight, I think everybody handled it about as well as they could, except that one dick producer who thought he'd get his speech in even after knowing he lost. It figures though that the first time a Best Picture wins with zero white cast members, the story's all about the white people it beat out.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

You're not wrong, that bronto comes from the cover of this seminal work on the struggles of my people.

I don't know who bought it for me, but if you're reading this, I like it very much :3:

Re: Moonlight, I think everybody handled it about as well as they could, except that one dick producer who thought he'd get his speech in even after knowing he lost. It figures though that the first time a Best Picture wins with zero white cast members, the story's all about the white people it beat out.

Holy poo poo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It's pretty bad that they keep showing that clip and talking about it but I haven't seen anything about what the moonlight people said at all. I don't think Fred Berger wanted to speak tho, he shakes his head and you can see him say no when the other guy turns to him, and it looks like someone pushed him forward from behind. He prolly could have said something about moonlight instead of what he did say, but who knows what was going on in his head at the time.

Viola Davis' speech was really good and should get more attention as well

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EwokEntourage posted:

It's pretty bad that they keep showing that clip and talking about it but I haven't seen anything about what the moonlight people said at all. I don't think Fred Berger wanted to speak tho, he shakes his head and you can see him say no when the other guy turns to him, and it looks like someone pushed him forward from behind. He prolly could have said something about moonlight instead of what he did say, but who knows what was going on in his head at the time.

Viola Davis' speech was really good and should get more attention as well

The best part of the Moonlight speeches were when the director got to the mike and said “Very clearly, even in my dreams this could not be true, but to hell with dreams, I’m done with it, ‘cause this is true." Maybe he just meant to comment on the total unreality of winning, but it's hard not to read it as a dig at La La Land since that movie was all about dreams and dreamers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yo. Get Out is real loving good

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Awesome. Now this book is popping up in ads and I get sad.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

Awesome. Now this book is popping up in ads and I get sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's fuckin dark, TB. :smith:

Dexo posted:

Yo. Get Out is real loving good
:yeah:

• Locked thread