Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

OP PART 2: NEW MOD, NEW RULES:
No saying "the blacks", "blacks" etc. it's dehumanizing. Say "Black people". We are people.

Don't come in here talking about how you don't believe in racism. this thread isn't for you.

If you start acting up, I'm gonna give you one warning. Ignore that and you get bounced.

If the black folks in this thread feel uncomfortable with your posting, or ask you to leave, loving leave. Respect our boundaries.
- You are welcome to come back hat in hand if you realize you were in the wrong. This happens a lot. People grow and we encourage that.

That OP is perfect. I'm in tears.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm down with this becoming a block party thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ok, upon reflection, I have one criticism..

You should've used this Bey gif, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

justice comes swift in the town

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

Not even close to a violation.

Shonda Rhimes has a good book,

Are you talking about The Year of Yes? That book is amazing. Also as a future black woman showrunner Shonda is basically my idol.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Is depiction of black people in children's media an ok topic?

I mean, besides that being the gooniest goddamn question imaginable.

shoot.

also Doc McStuffins is cool and good

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Addendum: Black people don't have to convince white people reparations are a good idea. They have to convince a moderate amount of white people and Hispanic people, and shifting American demographics favor the possibility in the future.

We don't have to buy into Republican framing and we don't have to work out every solution in the context of "would the Republicans accept this if we did it this way?" The answer is no, because they're petulant children and who gives a poo poo what they think? The days of the regressive shitheel vice grip on American government are numbered.

I don't think we could convince a lot of hispanics honestly. There's a whole lot of colorism among latin@s (about a third of my family, although not myself is from El Savador so I'm speaking using my experiences with them and others) and a lot of people feel like they also got hosed over by white people, can be hugely racist against black people and dark skinned poc of any kind and would resist a lot on the basis of "Well we didn't do chattel slavery in the US, so why should our tax money go there?"

like literally my cousin has a black daughter an her husband used to call her a friend of the family to both of their faces. Maybe it's just my lovely family, although from talking to a lot of my latin@ friends it doesn't seem to be.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder how much of it is the broadness of latinx as an ethnic designation. Like, realistically speaking latinx doesn't mean much as an ethnic qualifier. It encompasses mestizo/a, chicano/a, indio/a, etc.

Yes, this is something that I am still trying to learn. Like some members of my family only consider mestiz@ or chican@ as latin@. It's very interesting.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

thechosenone posted:

What do African American folks in this thread even think Reparations should even BE? Because I don't even know where they would start.

Speaking for myself obviously but chattel slavery was a terrible thing and we are still living with the ramifications of it, Jim Crow and the institutional racism that followed.

America was literally built on the backs of my people. For free. We deserve payment.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I have a good friend who is black and from Ireland and according to him his accent is the finest aphrodisiac on the planet. Evidence supports his theory.

I am engaged to an Irish dude and can confirm this. Idk who to blame tbh. I read Angela's Ashes a lot as a preteen? That's all I got.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could you expand on being black in a latin@ (is that the preferred spelling over latinx or latino/a?) family? I don't know anything about African heritage in the latin@ world, or racial identity, or things like that. I'm very curious how it looks versus what I think of as American black heritage and culture (I do not know any of the terminology or how things are identified or divided in terms of race theory).

W/r/T Latinx or Latin@ I just go by whatever people seem to prefer. My teenage cousin uses latin@ to refer to our family and I picked it up from her but I use both pretty interchangeably. There are lots of black Latinx folks, but unfortunately I'm not one of them lol. I don't hang out with the El Salvadoran part of my family much basically because of the story about my cousin, her mom and her husband. He's kind of a prick, a very very old school dude. I actually don't really hang out with the Italian or black sides of my family either though because of crazy e/n worthy poo poo. The exceptions are my mom, grandmother. My sister is going to school in Arizona atm so we just kinda keep up with each other.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I just made a way better post about this in the Misogynoir thread! Goddamn.

Koalas March posted:

Let me get my gossip on because I'm bored at work and waiting for some videos to render.

In case ya'll didn't know, Prince Harry has been dating Meghan Markle since at least August. She is a biracial actress who has been getting slammed by UK tabloids, most ridiculously for being "visibly black". The entire thing has been shitshow.

quote:

As I’ve mentioned in my coverage of Prince Harry’s relationship with Meghan Markle, even though it was a British paper that initially broke the news that they were dating, the American magazines have been taking the lead on exclusives, with US Weekly in particular the first to confirm that Harry was actually in Toronto when UK gossips thought he’d cancelled a trip there and following up with another exclusive about Meghan being invited by Harry to spend his birthday with him at Balmoral which is where she met his father, Prince Charles. And, as I told you, this is significant in two ways: he’s serious about her and he’s been seriously unimpressed with how the UK tabloids have reported on the situation, dragging rogue relatives out to call Meghan a golddigger and the Daily Mail repeatedly mentioning that her mother has dreadlocks, and one headline describing her background as “Straight Outta Compton”. It was a subtle warning to British press – I can easily take my information to the American media if you persist with this character assassination.

So today, Kensington Palace released an official statement:

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/795931735443861504

I found crazy surprising that they straight up called it sexism and racism. I don't follow UK politics, but I'm guessing this will just throw more fuel on the fire the chances of the tabloids chilling the gently caress out will be zero.

Some things I also found kinda interesting:

- He introduced her to his family on his birthday.

- Prompt Official Royal Statement

and this:

quote:

Last week I reported that Harry informed his team about his relationship with Meghan back in August. So he was serious enough about her even then to have his advisors ready to protect her. Now that he’s confirmed her status, as his girlfriend proper, though, it also means that she is now officially their responsibility, with access to his considerable resources. It took a lot longer for Prince William to do this for Kate Middleton.

Seethe racist Brits. Seethe.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 8, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wish Prince Harry wasn't so far down the line of succession because the possibility of a black prince hanging like the sword of damacles over the Brexit crowd in England for a few years would be fantastic

Only in my wildest dreams.

Not in the line of succession iirc but there is Her Serene Highness, Princess Angela of Liechtenstein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Angela_of_Liechtenstein

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I agree with all of this.

And as always the response to these men should be:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 8, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

As an aside there is nothing more amusing than watching all the females in your family sit your cousin's white wife down and have a 4 hour long pow wow after Thanksgiving dinner on how the gently caress to deal with their child's hair. That Thanksgiving 2 years ago was funny as all hell. Like my aunts brought products and loving everything.

They did the right thing

edit: hahaha holy poo poo

I'm loving rolling

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ThingOne posted:

Grats on the first Redtext of the thread.

djw175 posted:

Oh wow, someone was salty.

the loving irony is so multilayered

I might die laughing at work.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how did that even happen

Apparently someone really, really doesn't like Waiting to Exhale, or reading this thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

haha holy poo poo, I never thought I'd see anyone link to LA on here.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

:trumppop:

I wonder if it's the same dude who gave out the avatars in the QCS thread or a different idiot.

I'm torn between dragging this anonymous moron and just being like "lmao nobody tell them" because it's super apparent they have not read this or the misogynoir thread.

like holy poo poo I didn't realize saying "black women should not wait and pine for specific men who clearly do not want them" with a gif would be so polarizing

yikes

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I doubt they really think this, it's just TIC style "extrapolate racism out of everything someone says involving race"

actually now that you say that I am like 80% sure I know who it was and you are right :allears:

This is absolutely true. And the fact that a slur that has been used against me, many times is in my av is very.. telling.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

At least they were smart enough to not reveal themselves, because that ban would have come on swift wings.

It kinda sucks that they didn't though because that would have been an interesting conversation.

I think the divide between black men and women when it comes to interracial dating is really interesting and actually important.

Like holy poo poo, did you see the way some folks were treating Mike Colter when they found out his wife was white?

But also, it seems like way more black women are dating outside of the race and that's good, imo, especially when you take into account how undesirable white supremacy tries to make black women at every turn.

Then again in this very thread I mentioned my black/italian/latinx family, my Irish fiance, and cheered on Harry/Meghan on that very same page.. so yeah I think that person was being very, very disingenuous.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

Wrt interracial dating, specifically in the rear end of people like Mike Colter, there's the wildly unreasonable and unrealistic expectation among successful and well-educated black men that are successful that we should "wait" until a black woman finds us worthy so that our success can stay in the community.

I've heard many comments from single black women while I'm single about how I better not end up with a white woman because we need to keep our success in the community, but they themselves had no interest in me.

My aunt is totally one of this people, it drives me crazy.

I like to see myself as a sexual explorer. I've had almost everyone. Black, white, Asian, Latinx, male, female, cis, trans. It was fun but I won't miss it. Dating is hell.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hey uh kill whitey and all but I'm really not comfortable with characterizing women of any stripe as gold-digging. And I don't particularly like that stereotype of black women either - that's some hostile poo poo black men say after they get rejected. Let's not gently caress up the intersectionality game here. Women are people.

This is a good point that I totally missed.

Also I have had black guys (literally in a group) come up to me in the mall asking why I'm with a white guy, and another black dude literally high five him for "picking up a sista"

Life is strange.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I get what you're saying, but this phrasing makes me extremely uncomfortable. Like you're listing off conquests or trophies or something.

Aww man, I'm sorry. You are right that's poorly worded.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If we can't talk about the minefield of interracial dating without getting into sexist stereotyping maybe we should drop it.

I second this, honestly.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Man, Negrotown was a lot more fun before the you-know-whos started moving in, I tell you what.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Sorry, I'm gone.

That wasn't even directed at you tbh.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If you interpret every time KM makes a funny joke as "get out" you're gonna miss all of KM's funny jokes :colbert:

New av got em shook

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

What if my white feeling is apathy?

Doctor Butts posted:

Koala's avatar don't care about white people.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

You're one of those fuckers who call the Goa'uld "goulds" aren't you?

Stargate burns are the best burns.

Yo, PT6A, the chevrons are locked. It's time for you to go.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Teal'c is the best. It's hard to be stoic and likable and Judge nails it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hey since we're in the early days of this presumably historic megathread, can we get consensus from the black posters on posting stuff like this? I love to laugh at awful racists as much as the next person, but I could see this easily sliding into PYF Reminder That Black People Aren't Human, and I don't want to get to a point where I feel like I can't risk clicking on this thread when I'm having a bad day

In general I find my well-meaning white friends sometimes trot out racist stuff just to get my reaction to it, kind of a common-purpose "wow we both agree this is awful right? Remember I'm on your side" and I know no offense is intended but I don't think they get how exhausting it is when that's just the world you live in. Like, racism isn't really a novelty for us, so it's not always fun to look at even if it's just to laugh at the racists.

I totally agree

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm not even saying "don't post it," just like, let's talk about what we feel about it. Let's rap.

if I want to see that poo poo, and sometimes, yeah I like to laugh at people like that, I'll go to the meltdown thread.

But there definitely days (most) where I don't want to come into here or the misogynoir thread and deal with that loving bullshit

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

People melting down like that is hilarious at times. But I also think it can be a very slippery slope of an issue to the point where if you let one person post stuff like that then you will eventually get into worse and worse poo poo and then its too late.

Yeah. Y'all know I love me some seething racists and white tears but if it's some 4chan post calling folks the n-word 45 times I don't want to see that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

White supremacy is a hell of a drug.

I look forward to becoming to becoming black girl Arrow and mowing down people while screaming "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS COUNTRY!" Before the cops murder me.

Tell your children my story.

Also tell them about John Brown the ultimate ally who got run off and scapegoated as a crazy person because he saw injustice and fought it as any well minded person should have.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Let me tell you about log cabin republicans...

gay white men have been basically fine with most of white america for a long time and they straight up do not give a gently caress about the rest of the queer community except when the queer community can help them get something they want. they got marriage equality, so now it's straight back to voting republican so that they can get tax breaks on their "we're two white men" income.

I haven't talked about this a lot because as an lgbt person I know how divisive this can get, but holy poo poo. the majority of white gays truly want the perks of white supremacy (like other whites, see: this election where even white women voted for a sexual predator) and have just been angry that their sexual identity was the one thing keep them from this and after the SCOTUS decision felt super emboldened.

ask me about white white supremacy w/r/t lesbian dating because I have some loving STORIES!

edit (this is one of those edits that idk if I have to add or not, but I'd feel better including because yall are loving dumb, again see: Trump as president-elect): also I have only dated 2 trans people and don't consider them representative of transfolks as a whole so don't ask me about that.

2nd edit: didn't rwlize this was still the Negrotown thread, ask me here.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 9, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Quorum posted:

Do polls bear this out or is this just your gut feeling about white gays being the literal worst

Go ahead and ask about racism in the gay community. Seriously. please.

it's really, really bad. has been really, really bad and continues to be really, really bad.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Show me a gay person who voted for trump nearby me and I will tell them that they are complete idiots, just real dumb, in person tho

I can not post fb profiles here, alas.

but yeah, I'm not trying to say OMG WHITE GAYS ARE WAY MORE RACIST GUYS, just that they support white supremacy at least as much as other white americans. Like god google "grindr + not black or asian" and see what comes up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Majorian posted:

gently caress, what a terrible day.:smith: I am resolved to do what I can to help fight this bullshit over the next four years. I will do my very best to shut up and listen to people of color when they tell me what they need from me, instead of telling them what I think they should do. This has been a wakeup call for me. I hope it is for more white folks in this country, too.

Thanks Maj. I know we've had our problems but you've come a long way.

Majorian posted:

My heart aches for what so many white people did last night. PoC tried to tell us white liberals how bad white supremacism was in this country, and we didn't listen.

Man, can you imagine if there was some kind of small, forums related microcosmic version of this? That would be wild.

this is me telling white folks this poo poo has been going on a long time, goes in HERE and when we told yall, you didn't believe us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Honestly I don't know if it's something moderation can fix any more. :smith:

Vote me as your black vigilante IK and I will make these forums great again.

• Locked thread