Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

If I raised 9000 I would die on the spot because that would literally change my life right now.

Edit: someday when everything is settled the last 6 months of my life would be a crazy rear end book. Kicked out of a house I was renting by a Trumper, moving in for two days with a crackhead off Craigslist and then my hotel life of the past two months.

Yo, I'm down for turning that into a script. You should hit me up koalas.march@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Honestly we should have a helping POC thread on this forum, whether it's arts or tough situations or whatever. Cause if we aren't helping each other no one else will

I have actually been thinking about starting a sticky for that. A lot of our users are minorities or other groups that statistically are having a tough time due to society's institutional prejudices.

A lot of us are struggling and I care so much about everyone. We should all be able to make it. I want all of us to succeed.

I am going to be kinda busy later tonight but I'm going to try work on an OP, unless someone else wants to do it and I will sticky it for them?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I know not everyone here is into comics, but I am, so thank you for that post. I have always loved Dwayne McDuffie. He is the reason the Justice League cartoons were so awesome. I have some issues with the treatment of Vixen, but Vixen gets the shaft in EVERYTHING. The DCTV/Flarrowverse and even get hosed by theCW in HER OWN CARTOON.

I also think it's appropriate to talk about black experiences with all media, and comics (or at least their influence) are especially important right now with all the movies and TV shows popping up based on them.

I could talk for hours about Vixen, Riri Williams, Power Girl or the way Andrew Kreisberg and Gugghenheim continually keep loving up the West Family who are literally the best.

Iris West is Iris Best!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I actually have things to say about this conversation, but I'm gonna do that later, ump in real quick and say Happy Earth, Wind and Fire Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/910938734715183104

Interesting he chose "white women" as the subject.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Found this interesting tidbit in this article:

The article is mainly about how land use in the US went from vertical at the beginning of the 20th century to horizontal by the end of it, but it had these interesting insights into some of the causes of white flight and inner city slums of the mid-late 20th century. Shows how the whole 'rising tide lifts all boats' from the Bernie crowd is horseshit, because govt policies enacted to help people in need are almost always applied in an unequal manner that favors whiteness.

That is really interesting! Thank you. I'm gonna have to bookmark that as a source lol.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

On this topic, someone mentioned the following book in USPol about a year ago:

The origins of the urban crisis : race and inequality in postwar Detroit

I read a lot of it, and it was pretty eye opening in terms of how redlining and the FHA played out specifically in Detroit, but also argues that this was prototypical of the rest of the rust belt.

E: It really lays things out well, like the various race riots (read: white people attacking black people's homes and storefronts, then the cops blaming the black people for it), racist white workers blocking black people from working at factories, the 36-year-serving racist mayor of Dearborn (who literally campaigned on keeping black people out of Dearborn and won by landslides), etc. It's all good stuff to point to when Berniebros go on about the poor white working class of the rust belt.

I wish more people would learn about Detroit, and even come here. This city is awesome. I know, I know, we have our problems and our abandoned houses and poverty but there is some really great stuff here and the people are amazing and resilient.

The Detroit Science Center is great and completely interactive. The African-American history museum is beautiful. There is great street art/graffiti, musicians and food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvg2dDGKgZI

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Taerkar posted:

A year or two I had a connecting flight in Detroit and I remember looking out the window at the expanse of Detroit as we flew over it. The large grid structure of dilapidated houses and vacant lots was extremely depressing.

haha I live right next to the airport.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah, Rashida Jones looks just like her mom. It's weird, I watched Parks and Rec and Twin Peaks back to back and I couldn't shake it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think it would be better if people just post their own links. I was in a position of needing to pull funds immediately and waiting would have put me in the streets.

Just updating: I am in a car working for Uber still and am job hunting when I am not driving.

Still living in the hotel and am hoping I can make enough to get out by the end of the month.

Thanks for everyone who has donated. The list is so long I can't even name everyone.

I will repost the link since it was pages ago, cause the faster I get into my own place the better I will be.

http://paypal.me/mikesherman1082

We can do both, honestly?

I made the post but I am still working on it. feel free to post your paypal info and what's going on in there. :)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I have been gone dealing with IRL drama, but I will work on a new OP. If anyone has any opinions on the OP let me know!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Are people still having problems with the thread? I'm gonna repost the OP (because honestly it's perfect) and goldmine this thread, but in the mean time...

The 15 Blackest Things About the New Trailer for Black Panther

quote:

1. The screen at the 0:00 mark right before the trailer started. I know black screens are standard before a film starts and after it ends, but this black screen was an extra, deeper black. A Maya and Amiri at the Schomburg black. I saw this black and immediately felt compelled to take a shot of Henny. (AND I HATE HENNY!)

2. Although the first voice you hear is from a white man, the first face you see is Chadwick Boseman’s King T’Challa with an expression saying, “Why the gently caress is this white man talking? DOES HE NOT KNOW THAT THIS IS THE TRAILER FOR THE BLACK PANTHER MOVIE, NOT THE ‘WHITE MAN SAYS WORDS THAT VAGUELY MATTER TO PEOPLE’ MOVIE?”

3. At the 30-second mark, Danai Gurira’s Okoye says, “We are home”—reminding the audience that they’re about to witness some black-rear end poo poo. And if they’re not ready to witness some black-rear end poo poo, they need to take their not-ready-to-witness-some-black-rear end-poo poo asses back to their wack-rear end homes. And, I don’t know, go microwave some celery or something.

4. Angela Bassett’s flawless skin, which basically looks like what would happen if a Kehinde Wiley print came to life and had sex with a peach.

5. Lupita and Lupita’s hair—which would totally be the name of my fantasy football team if I gave a poo poo about fantasy football—basically telling T’Challa that every nigga is a star.

(Also, I’m currently having three separate conversations with three separate black women—all trying to determine exactly what they’d call Lupita’s hairstyle. One insists that it’s bantu knots, and another insists it’s a really defined twist-out. Let’s just say that Batman v Superman did not inspire these types of discussions.)

6. Okoye instructing T’Challa not to freeze and him replying, “I never freeze,” which is true because you can’t freeze if you’re already cool as gently caress. You can’t freeze an ice cube, nigga.

7. Michael B. Jordan coming through like the angriest member of B2K ever.

8. My instinct to still scream, “Where’s Wallace?!” each time I see Michael B. Jordan on screen.

9. The black panthers meeting with Black Panther at the 1:12 mark, because who said black people can’t be meta as gently caress, too?

10. Michael B2K’s face when he’s surrounded by all those flames at the 1:21 mark—which is the same face you make when forced to consume unseasoned and undercooked chicken at a work-retreat breakout session and the same level of heat you wish the chicken was cooked at.

11. The white man shooting that gun at the 1:27 mark, a not-so-subtle reminder that white men with guns and bad haircuts ruin everything.

12. The flip Black Panther does at the 1:43 mark, which made me Google Gabby Douglas just to see what she’s doing now.

13. Okoye’s stick maneuvering at 1:51, a callback to Danai’s “day job” on The Walking Dead and a reminder that black people (actresses included) all need side hustles.

14. The remixed version of Gil Scott-Heron’s “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” playing through the trailer, which is somewhat paradoxical, since we’re watching a televised trailer while listening to it, but blackness is somewhat paradoxical, so it’s apropos.

15. The fact that I don’t know poo poo about comic books—or superheroes, really, other than Batman and Superman—and didn’t even know that Black Panther existed until, like, five years ago (don’t judge me), but I’m actually sitting here today, in October of 2017, already thinking about the black-rear end poo poo I’m going to wear to this premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm hype for Black Panther.

Yes the problem is still there. Will have to wait to see if the new page problem is gonna rear its head when we get to the next page. I support a straight up goldmine/repost.

done https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837920

• Locked thread