Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

negromancer posted:

I hated the Harambe meme because it really showed how white people care more about the life of literally any animal over a black life.

Can you/someone explain this to me or direct me to an explanation? I know nothing but the name and I had no idea there was something racially charged when I saw people bringing it up.

Also I am very much enjoying this thread as a D&D newbie. Thanks for having it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A black baby fell into a gorilla enclosure and they shot the gorilla because they couldn't guarantee they could get to the baby before the gorilla noticed it, because in a "pick one" situation the human life is more important than the gorilla's life.

Then a lot of people got really mad that they "murdered" an innocent gorilla to save a baby who was lost by an "irresponsible mother" and all these coded words started getting thrown around and eventually it spawned this alt right "dicks out for harambe" thing. But the core of the issue is basically that these people think they should have let the baby die instead of the gorilla because it's that terrible mother's fault that the baby was in the cage. Cuz, you know, only black moms lose track of their kids at the zoo. No white child has ever zoomed around like a cracked out ping pong ball trying to see every aminal possible.

Thank you for this explanation. I had heard about the gorilla thing in passing, but did not know the child was black or that so much sprung up around it. I had no idea that dicks out for Harambe was an alt-right thing, but I am glad to be educated on it.

I was a holy terror as a white child and it's probably just luck I never fell into anywhere deadly. I can't imagine pinning childhood energy-idiocy on race. :(

• Locked thread