Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Speaking of comic books, the new young black woman who is going to be Iron Man's replacement had her first issue come out.

I was excited for this until I got to the middle of the comic and:

Her seemingly middle class family was having a picnic in the park when suddenly a random drive-by comes and kills her step dad and her best friend

Why do white writers think the only two black backgrounds is hood violence or the Huxtables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Media portrayals. Anyone who thinks that they aren't important is ignorant as gently caress. I mean even if not for how society views people, think about how kids feel when they have no heroes that look like them. It's part of the reason that I was hoping that the new Ghostbusters movie would succeed. We all need our heroes.

Brian Michael Bendis wrote this poo poo, and it felt so completely out of left field with the rest of the issue it felt as if it were mandate. "Add some negro tragedy" from somebody up in the office. But Bendis is pretty high up on the food chain, so it could also just be his idea of what a black hero is supposed to be.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Xae posted:

Batman, Spiderman and I'm sure many other heroes all started with having a family member killed in a random act of violence.

Is it the specific details of the killing that strikes you as the writers resorting to a hood violence stereotype?

Uh, yes!?

The early part of the issue sets up a fascinating conflict of her parents having to deal with her being a super genius and how to nurture her growth, which is definitely a neat direction. But halfway through they are like welp, time for some hood poo poo.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

This would freak me the gently caress out because how do you know the person asking the questions aren't in on the harassment?

White liberals think that we want rescuing and not for them to stand up to their racists relatives and do something about them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Gaunab posted:

In the Miles Morales Spider-Man they had an issue where an Internet blogger talks about how cool it is that the new Spider-Man is a person of color and Miles retorts that his skin color shouldn't matter. It sort of got sorted out when Luke Cage dropped by and was like "Hey, being Spider-Man and being black is a big deal."

Which is also Bendis, so I could be overreacting but man the whole drive by scene is absolutely out of nowhere and silly as gently caress.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Panfilo posted:

If jurors got compensated better for their time I'm sure you'd see more diverse juries. I'm assuming most people that intend to sit on a jury are old white people because they have the privilege of time. If people didn't have to bow out because of financial reasons more people of color could afford to participate.

The downside is that the increased cost would just put even more pressure on the DA to get people to plead out, and possibly fewer people would get a fair trial.

I thought jobs were required to match your salary/hourly wage when on jury duty

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Surprisingly, in Alabama, employers were required to match while you were in the courtroom. I lived there my whole life up until 2 years ago so I had no idea it wasn't like that everywhere

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Aerox posted:

Yeah, unfortunately there's no immediate solution if for, like most people, being fired on the spot means you're immediately in serious financial trouble.

The only recompense I guess is that it's more than judge's frowning on it -- if you call the jury commissoner or the court number on the website or whatever after you've been threatened or terminated for attending jury duty the hammer comes down fast and swift. Actually getting fired has regularly, in the past, gotten managers/employers arrested and hauled into court, a violation put on the record, and an easy open door to a civil settlement. A lot of people usually aren't ready to defend the firing in front of a judge in handcuffs with virtually no warning or prep time and it almost always goes very, very badly for the employer. The protections for jury duty are the exact same for jury selection.

That's a shitton of work and mental stress for the fired person though and not an avenue available to everyone, I know.

Tennessee makes it a class A misdemeanor for the employer and can get you a lot of money in punitive damages. This really should be this way in every state

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Barreling into it with a good goddamn reason. This thread is just as poisonous as that poo poo on CSPAM and is loving detrimental to causes I've been working most of my adult life to change. And part of it is real goddamn anger at a bunch of half-woke children having their hugbox disturbed by an opinion that isn't "said the right way".

Glad you are here to rescue us Fredrick Douglass

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

speaking of anybody tried full beard with natural fro out look cause im starting to think about it

I've had a fro of some sort with a goatee for about 20 years but I got tired of blowing it out. I don't grow a good beard either :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

LMAO that icon and red text

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Most people who aren't lovely are down with whomever will take their lame rear end for real for real.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

All these years of poo poo posting you as an Auburn fan, never knew you were female Morby. Roll Tide

On subject, the black church is one of those things that I struggle with as an entity. During the Civil Rights movement it was a safe-ish haven for black folks (unless you were in Birmingham) and a great place to organize.

I think some parts of the church are still good for that. But another part of me finds the origins of most black churches as part of our earliest oppression. While there are are orthodox Christian churches going back to the 1st century in Ethiopia, the churches of American black folks are not based off of those as all.

And modernity has turned a lot of these churches into the most insane mix of prosperity gospel bullshit and social circle/community center type place, especially down here in the deep south.

My dad is extremely atheist, but he still puts his ugliest suits on and drives his rear end out to the country for Sunday services at his childhood church.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Black Sunday Best clothes are the loving best. It's uniquely us and as far as I know one of the few things white people have not appropriated. yet.

They can take our suits, but they ain't getting our hats.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

whydirt posted:

I assumed that Christianity has stayed relatively important to black communities because the church is one of the few institutions of organized black power that white moderates have tolerated (at least in relative terms).

Anytime a leader from the black churches emerges those same white people immediately move to take away their legitimacy, like MLK, Reverend Sharpton, Reverend Wright, etc. They only tolerate the black church when it is keeping black folks in their place on Sunday.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I had the exact same thing happen growing up. Every teacher I had in elementary school wanted to drug me up, to the point of threatening my parents with expulsion if they didn't. I know my "angry black girl" reputation here and people's latent just-world reflexive assumption that any bad thing that happens to someone must at least be a little deserved has everyone reading this imagining what a terror I must have been in class, but I was raised by very strict parents and never would have dreamed of acting up in class or talking back to a teacher. The terrible behavior disorder my teachers wanted to medicate out of me was simply that I finished my class reading early and would read my own book or draw until the rest of the class was finished. Over and over again teachers would interpret this as me "not doing my work," even though I and my parents kept pointing out that it was because my work was finished. I also got labeled a cheater by default, and had to take most of my tests out in the hallway instead of with the class. More than once a teacher threatened me with detention for "disrupting the class" when I walked in to turn in my finished test before the white kids were done, so I learned to just sit and stare at the wall until the end of the period every time there was a test. Doing anything to entertain myself like reading or even doing other homework would have been interpreted as "cheating" by any passing teachers and/or snitchy white kids. All this snowballed into a thing where, much like here with the mods, my reputation as a "troublemaker" earned me harsher punishments and got me singled out for discipline frequently.

There was also one time a white mom saw me talking to two other black kids and warned the PTA that there was gang activity in the school.

I am a bit older than y'all, so Ritalin wasn't a popularized thing yet, but this is similar to my childhood. I started out in private school for 1st grade and then went to public in 2nd. I was probably years ahead of most of the students in my class, so I got bored quickly. Instead of putting me in a gifted program, they put me in a lower level reading program because I was too "disruptive" in class.

I was not a kid genius by any means, but instead of nurturing my intelligence, these schools did everything they could to treat me like absolute poo poo.

Even when I was applying for colleges, the counselors couldn't even be bothered with helping me get scholarships, despite a 29 on the ACT (including a perfect score in the social sciences and English portions).

And this is all from being middle classed and economically privileged. I cannot even imagine what it is like for lower income POC.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I feel like Negrotown would be in the Nutbush City Limits, personally.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

on behalf of alabama, I apologize for sessions.

Who am I kidding, it's just me

The best thing I did last year was get the gently caress out of there. Nashville is like a utopia in comparison, and it still has its issues.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dexo posted:

<------. Hahahhahahahahahah

Jesus loving Christ white people are real mad.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

teen witch posted:

Hi! Suburban black here! Key and Peele's experience is probably entirely different than mine for a bevy of different factors! My black experience is different than my sisters! And hosed up but true, but they're just as authentic as yours.

Being black is not a loving monolithic, one-size-fits-all experience. There can be similarities but inherently, they're all loving different and we shouldn't disengage with those that are different because hell, disregarding them is the same poo poo white society does. Be better.

drat that loving red text. Another one.

negromancer posted:

If the only niggas you saw on a regular basis were in your household for a majority of your life, you lack the depth of black experience to talk about nuanced black issues.

Except this is wrong because the black experience does not end when you turn 18 and move out the house. That was almost half of my lifetime ago and my "depth" of life experience comes from all over the place.

Besides, my black experience is from country rear end Alabama, but it is not the only part of my life that counts towards this scorecard you are trying to build.

Also, for suburban black people who didn't have a lot of black folks around them, that is also a nuanced black issue and shouldn't be discounted from the overall black experience.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 24, 2016

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

This slap fight is silly. One can criticize Key and Peele without having to go into their experience as black people.

Which is extra funny because this is the Negrotown thread, which is a Key and Peele sketch.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Looks like we are taking over every sport, even internationally.

This young man from Texas just joined the lowest division of Sumo. Hopefully in the next few years he will make it up the ranks.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

teen witch posted:

Can we put him in the next Negrotown thread's OP? Can we get someone to direct his biopic?

I believe he is part Japanese, cause his name is Ichiro Young, unless his parents were super into the Mariners or something.

He will be going by the sumo name Wakaichiro, or "Young Ichiro"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I love Sumo and it is nice to have an up and comer to look forward to in about 5 or 6 years that looks like me.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

It's pretty rare. People follow their friends and family, and more importantly, their socioeconomic class.

How do you know its pretty rare? Imma need to see some receipts.

negromancer posted:

Y'all seem awfully hurt by that fact, and sound a lot like the suburban white folks you grew up around when confronted with it.

And again, I grew up in the country. Tell me how that is less the black experience than growing up in the city.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

And again, tell me where I said less.

I said RANGE. Living in the suburbs isolated from seeing a multitude of black and brown faces prevents you from seeing a RANGE of black experiences.

Like, y'all seem really hurt by this and you might should take that up with your parents.

And your knowledge is limited as well, and you're literally telling black folks that their experience isn't enough because it doesn't have the breadth of yours or mine.

Think about that poo poo and how hosed up that is to say.

Do you think some poor kid off the Pearl River in Mississippi, who is surrounded by nothing but other black people and has never lived in a major metropolitan is also suffering from not having a "range" of black experiences too, because they didn't get the privilege of travelling different places?

For all the talk of unity and the diversity of black life in this country, you sure are quick to create a "right" way to live or experience black culture and a "wrong" way, or range or whatever hosed up justification you are creating.

Literally the only requirement for having the black experience in America is being black in America.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

And furthermore, it is pretty tough for kids growing up in the suburbs with no black peers. Can you imagine being surrounded by so much whiteness your entire life and trying everything you can to have a normal childhood and then growing up and finding yourself not only treated like every other black person in this country and then having someone like you going. "Heh, you haven't really experienced blackness like me, because you haven't had the same struggles or range of experiences as me, guy who was surround by black people his whole life and was insulated from being over exposed to white people"

Edit:

And one last loving thing. What part of the black experience is a suburban black kid missing that other more "experienced" black people have?

Was it crushing racism? Nope.
Overwhelming isolation? Nope.
Ability to connect with and approach other black people? Nope.

Money is literally the only difference. And middle class money doesn't shield you from poo poo in white society.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 24, 2016

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

Must be that suburban black logic.

Yes, that's what it is. Those burbs down in Bama with a population of 4000 people.

You are being a huge douchebag right now and you should stop.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

And you think your experience is the same as mine? Or encountered the same variety of experiences I did?

Or, maybe, just maybe, you could try reading what's written by me and get out of your feelings?

Of course it is different. The point is is that you were trying to make it sound like it was "less" not as much in "depth" which is wrong.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

verdigris murder posted:

Negromancer why has Niggamortis been vanished on all the digital musical ownership platforms?

Get the gently caress out of here.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

How fast is your internet?

Right? Sign me up

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

Yeah, quite interesting that as the prison population got darker, so did life inside prison. Education was taken away, rehabilitation, etc. it's almost like modern day prisons are designed to circumvent the 13th amendment.

poo poo, the 13th amendment was designed to circumvent slavery to begin with.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yes, one of the alternative Earths has a black Superman, who is kind of an Obama figure. He is currently in the Earth 2 final countdown comics.

John Henry Irons AKA Steel was one of the 4 Supermen running around Death and Return, and is currently dating Lana Lang, who absorbed some of the powers from the recently deceased Superman, who has been replaced by the Earth Prime Superman from the mid 90's.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 30, 2016

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Unfortunately Dwayne McDuffie died a few years ago. He created Static Shock and was one of the few black writers in comics :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Remember at the beginning of Civil War II when they killed Rhodie for no loving reason and then all the black Marvel characters had a black folks meeting and talked all slang and out of character? Between this and magical white man Tony Stark in new Irongirl's suit, I dunno if I trust Marvel with anything.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

A death of a major person in your life can cause major issues with mental illness in a person, so it is kind of lovely to point at that and ask questions or make accusatory statements like that.

Mental illness makes people do irrational things, so applying rationality to it is kind of pointless.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Obama has low key gotten a lot of black folks out of jail in the last couple of years, and I can almost guarantee he is going to ramp up them pardons in the last month.

Domestic policy is a nightmare that he was just not able to navigate. It had less to do with his understanding of blackness, which as I have said a thousand times before in this thread is an absurd accusation to make, and more that the system is set up for the President to mostly fail. His agenda never stood a chance.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Questioning someone's blackness, black credibility or anything of the source is poo poo white people do.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

BeanBandit posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus, is this thread solely for black people, or can other people of color post here?

Hey shut the gently caress up and get out you loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Trumpenproletariat posted:

I had to borrow $5 off my supervisor today to buy lunch and he let me off paying, which was nice.

Since I gave my last $5 as gas money to my extremely nice black female coworker who has been giving me rides home so I don't have to walk the 2.5 miles home at midnight in below freezing weather. She's a nice person, I'm glad we have developed a friendship in class solidarity.

She even offered to make some calls to see if she could get me a better price for weed than I'm currently getting off my african american acquintance who provides it to me, after I offered her some free buds if she drives me to meet with him after our overtime on saturday.

I have to say not being a racist and recognising your mutual interests and experiences through class politics is loving awesome, she's a great friend.

This also isn't the place for poo poo gimmicks either.

• Locked thread