Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

wyldhoney posted:

Hi Negrotown,

In light of recent events in the US I was struck by a thought. If any of you want to move to a black majority country why not consider one of the Caribbean islands?

We have our own racial issues but at least black and brown people are in the majority. I'd welcome non-rear end in a top hat Black Americans since we're brain draining like crazy. Also our land is being snapped up by white neocolonists and if my country is going to be invaded by foreigners I'd rather it be black people.

I'm kinda joking but kinda not. If you want to gtfo of the States and move to a tropical island (and can freelance / otherwise self support) then let me know and I'll info dump.

Because drat. I know I'm not going to be using my US Visa when it expires next year. I want no part of that mess.

Fiance's family is laying the groundwork by investing HEAVILY in the resort industry. Timeshares and trips are quickly becoming the new hotness for making extra cake. Gotta get used to plantains and hearing folks suck their teeth at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

exploded mummy posted:

Correction: it was MySpace

lol

Right, I forget how bad comic books are sometimes. Thanks for digging that up.

Sad truth is that it turned out to be prophetic.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just got done watching Rosewood. The movie, not the show. Very well done, extremely accurate. I'm in a very dark place right now. Powerful history.

How's everyone else's black history month going?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Squashing Machine posted:

I'm sorry, but that's insane. You're legitimizing a terrible state of affairs because in this particular case it works out in a way that you're okay with. The US prison state is a holocaust inside our own borders and acting like it's okay in any way is excusing it. loving hell

There's not a purity test for being 100% liberal about these things.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP3SezPCXDY

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. I did laugh, though I'm kinda also not sure how black people, especially people in mixed-race relationships, feel about it. Still, I enjoyed the fact that the dumb person was the white woman, and the white dude didn't even have a speaking role, so a good video I guess.

This is kinda adorable. The problematicness is very mitigated by it being from S Africa.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Westworld and The Handmaiden Tale are basic slavery stories, handwaved and scifi'd to have white people being the slaves. Just got sat down by my white friend to watch the first episode. She is so hyped by this series.

It seemed like a fine show. Brutal and visceral. First time I heard her actually condemn this type of slavery and torture out loud. Its nice that the show is generating these discussions period.

But I have to hide my rolling eyes at the newfound enthusiasm. Same friend clammed up when 12 Years was discussed. She'd stick to how visceral it felt, or how the subject matter was brutal without participating in discussing the historical accuracy or moral questions about enslavement. It is a good thing, and I will never forget that 2017 is the year I was saw a white slave movie.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

there wolf posted:

You really don't have to use some sci-fi wand to make a world where women are chattel; just go back in history a bit across any number of cultures and civilizations.

That was my "eyeroll" issue with my friend. Because the show was fictional and divorced from reality it allowed her to feel more comfortable to open up to speak about the themes of people as property, subjugation methods, and ritualistic rape. It's nice to finally get her feelings on it, but I just wanna scream "yooooooo, you are so late to the party. Took you having a map drawn using your favorite brand of crayons before you could get here.".

Edit: that article is p dope.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/862383109165240320

Apparently the school community protested her speaking.

Cross posting from GIP CE. Super dope.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Even though anime is bad, it is still alive. Posting regularly in QCS is like being Statler and/or Waldorf at this dead gay comedy forum's open casket.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Super dope commercial.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Given the multitude of Jesuses (Jesusi?) they had in the finale I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a God of White America to deal with at some point (Vulcan doesn't count).

Only watched up to Episode 3. I'm so happy the Jesuses made an appearance and that swarthy korean Jesus got a shoutout.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rolling to see Who's Streets today. First time I've been south of the 10 for a couple months. Check out Baldwin Hills Mall sometime, poo poo is relaxing as hell. These dudes got cushioned seats, wooden benches, and those for pay massage chairs on deck. It was a fun contrast to the koreatown gallerias and the valley galleria. Super well connected to the bus system too, liked that ride better than some Ubers.

edit: Oh poo poo, this is the black thread, not the LA thread

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Veering slightly off the topic of a white person's story, here's my brown person's story.

I'm high off a combination of fash bashing and the regular amount of drugs. White Dude, you should go to the black side of town where ever you are at and go see Who's Streets. It's probably not at your regular theater, because of reasons to do with how film distribution works. But look up on Fandango and go see where it takes you.

Who's Streets is a fine documentary that shows the story of your police department lighting stuffed toys on fire with gasoline. Nicely done, it is a fine aggregation of cell phone videos of the hateful action. Then it adds context with the national news clips.

It is fascinating to see the hard core militarized responce to the BLM memorials and how all of that is absent from last weekend's home depot tiki torch invasion.

White Dude reading the Negrotown thread, in the process of doing that homework you will become an Ally who knows what to say to his lovely boss. White Genocide

Pay for the ticket with real people money, supporting businesses is important. It is a real tangible good that you can do. It is worth "Ally Points". No one is gonna rob you.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HotCanadianChick posted:

Eh sorry, I sometimes don't realize I'm doing it, both IRL or here; I spent a good chunk of my childhood (grades 7-12 pretty much) in a majority-minority state (Hawaii), and lived a few more years than that with two step-siblings that were brown, spent the first couple years that I moved to PDX with my only friends in town being a half-dozen Japanese immigrants that I was tutoring in English, and now live with a Black woman from NY*.

After spending so much of my life as the only white guy in the room, and amongst so many different ethnic and cultural groups, I more or less code-switch contextually like most PoC do. Even in my own home, me and the wife code-switch (she's the queen of sounding like a corporate receptionist one moment and turning into Tiffany Haddish the next) when talking to each other depending on whether we're talking about watching an ep of Atlanta or the latest article on VSB, versus when we're talking about Star Wars or whose autographs we want at the next comic con and we both turn nerdy AF.

Comedy option: If it make you feel betta cuz, I can try fo' talk in da kine pidgin, I no wanna start no beef bra. shoutouts to any kama'ainas in the audience, treat yoself to a spam musubi

*(the NY thing has had a terrible effect on the way I say dog and coffee BTW)

p.s. Desus and Mero are the bomb, I love their poo poo

Fine race relations cv. Pidgin doesn't stink like haole. Real quick: I've been a fan of the art for a couple months. Which episode of the show should I check out this week?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Why does a dude have to hurt for cash to accept a 2-day gig that'll result in 400k?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

Kanye is what you call a problematic fav.

Most of what white people get on Kanye about is usually laughable and usually overreacting.

The real problematic poo poo Kanye says is stuff about Black women, like Amber, his Trump stuff, and Racism doesn't exists crap.

And I will wilfully forget all of that while some pretty white bitch drags his name through the mud. He is mine to rake over the coals. He needs to go down for saying his actual mean poo poo to Amber, not get disparaged by a precleared music prowrestling beef.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
On the topic of Blackness. Schools started and I need more militant shade throwing articles. I'm a fan of the Bodega Boys and reading VSB/TheRoot, does anyone have an recommended sources?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just watched Deathnote. Got some poo poo to say, gently caress spoilers nobody was gonna see it anyways. You might be asking yourself why this is getting posted in the Negrotown thread? First, ain't no asian thread, second I watched it with my black fiance, third I wanna talk about this guy:

L, as played by Lakeith Stanfield, is the Moriarty character. He is the lead investigator of the cops, represented by Light's dad (off topic, this motherfucker said some smart poo poo "All units find L, he is armed and dangerous, I never liked the guy"), but is a private investigator because he actually gets poo poo done. The Lakeith was given the direction of being Javert with aspbergers and does well with that material. The "bad guy". But he shows up like halfway through the movie. He was raised in an orphanage built to cultivate a batman level detective. The initiation is 7 months in a crazy room out in the middle of a compound in the county. After his Batman training he was given the only asian actor to play his Alfred

I was vaguely familiar with the source material. Read the wikipedia notes about it around 2008. It's a fun asian story, where a silly devil spirit binds himself to a man (Light Yagami) who then creates his own godhood through overly complicated final destination rube goldberg machines. Fiance had no idea what anything was going in.

Basic rundown of this film is this Light Turner is a scrubby hot topic scene teen who gets the hots for the crazy white girl cheerleader, Mia. In the first scene we see Light attempting to save ol girl from a 19 year old man stealing lunch money from a teenage girl or some poo poo. He inserts himself between the two but beyond that he fizzles out, not willing or able to throw a punch. He promptly gets knocked the gently caress out. He gets detention because the kid did like 15 other kid's homework, idunno, where he cowers from meets out at the first sighting of the God of Death and inspired casting choice Willem Dafoe.

So Disney kid receives, through no fault of his own, a bound contract with a demon that scares the living poo poo outta him. This contract gives him the power to kill any person on earth after doing a fb search of the victim's name. Before he even has his own montage of playing around with the death machine he decides to show it to his one true love, Mia, a girl who only talked to him because he saw the school bully get his head chopped off.

In this film she plays the Lady Macbeth role of telling her man to stab his way to godhood. Highlights of her arc include stealing a page from the book to kill the fbi, telling light to kill his own father, writing Light's name in a bid to steal the book for herself, getting mad that Light wrote Mia's name in the book in retaliation. Each time Light halfheartedly disagree's with her and she rolls right over him. She is a snake of a character and Light gave that crazy ho too many chances. Every single interaction with her on screen led to my wife saying "loving around with them white girls". She is the reason Asian Alfred gets got, so gently caress her.

I'm fizzling out. But basically Deathnote as done by Netflix is the whitest god damned telling of an asian story I've ever seen since David Karadine's Kung Fu. I ain't even mad anymore, they mayonaised up this script so much it would be jarring and impossible to see an asian teen perform in this. Willem Dafoe is the best anytime he is on screen. Only watch this if you are really, really, really high. Edit: The soundtrack was dope.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 1, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Morby posted:

Also there's a whole class called "Jew".

That is one hell of a context, I don't know how else to describe this series. I played the first game about halfway through. I kinda like it, this sequel video game making the white child easy mode, the brown child medium, and the black child hard mode.

It makes a fantastic headline, I do feel like I'm playing life on medium right now.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What the hell else would he be, looking like that? Japan is one of the worst places for not even conceiving of black people as part of the human species.

I haven't travelled internationally as much as some people but I deal with international film markets in my job and the poo poo Eastern Europe and all of Asia say about movies with black actors is unbelievable.

Asian folks from the homeland have the issue of never having seen a black person period. Full stop.

I still remember my fiance first day at an ESL school in Korea. A kid picked her arm, looked up at her and said "teacher, no chocolate". This 5 year old kid seriously thought black folks were supposed to have tasted like chocolate. He was crushed the same way an American kid figgured out that Santa is just mom and dad.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

cis autodrag posted:

I unabashedly love blade and blade 3 is fun as hell. I love the detail that Wesley snipes is insane and insists on remaining in character at all times while filming blade movies as though the character is so complex as to require that.

First of all, Blade IS complex. Second of all, pretending to be Blade all day sounds hella fun. Wesley Snipes knows what's up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its good. Try to see it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress that dude if that is his real name anyways

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Every month is February. Gonna go see Thurgood this Wednesday.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So many threads, laid waste by one poo poo poster. Amazing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mine phone has the thread stuck at 8 new posts. So instead of making a new thread, I've just internalized that I should click on the thread if there are 9 new posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm hype for Black Panther.

Yes the problem is still there. Will have to wait to see if the new page problem is gonna rear its head when we get to the next page. I support a straight up goldmine/repost.

• Locked thread