Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

teen witch posted:

Black-Asian American relations are really complicated and evident of the "divide and conquer" strategy of white supremacy. I've heard some heinous anti-Asian poo poo from black friends going unchecked, and don't even get me started about beauty shop politics.

As-Am wanting to piggyback off this - please feel free to stop me if I wander too far afield.

Part of it I think is due to ghettoization pushing As-Ams, especially less economically lucky ones, into the same spaces or nearby spaces as black Americans. Despite what stereotyping tells people this is not because of As-Ams wanting to stick together- there's no loving way you can tell me the Koreans want to live next to the Japanese, or the Chinese next to the Viets. It's entirely because of a more subtle redlining-esque effort against As-Am housing that has gone on for years in parallel to the better known efforts against blacks. Now, it's pretty much part of the asian american national identity, such as it is- we stick together. Nevermind that the internal divisions are probably as sharp as the difference between As-Am and Not. We learned our lesson somewhat in the 80s- it doesn't matter, whitey will beat us down and won't care if we hate the japanese too.

Anyway, what this lets white supremacy do is scapegoat us for everything that happens to our other PoC neighbors. We can simultaneously be blamed for bringing *down* the quality of the neighborhood ("this was a nice american place before all those people moved in with their weird foreign talk") and blamed for the gentrification of the neighborhood. We take the hits from riots but when the media covers it its "black on white" or "property damage" and the race of the people suffering gets glossed. And then, because we've absorbed those messages too, we don't form common cause because the easy path out is to step on the heads of blacks and hispanics- be the good minority, they'll kill us last.

I think to some degree this trend is slowly reversing as Asian American becomes more of a true identity for younger As-Ams. A lot of this can be traced to older, first or second generation immigrants who had a very Don't Rock the Boat, Play Along sort of attitude toward race relations. But the consequences of our failure to recognize our own position on the board and who was playing us is going to bite us among other PoC for a long loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

negromancer posted:

Look at any study from pretty much any dating website or any media from the past 40 years. Men desire black woman features, not black women.

See also: white people stealing black people beauty trends and making them "hip" and "fashionable" while the originators get ground down as "ghetto" and "trashy"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Another thing to keep in mind is that there remains a deep assimilationist streak in As-Am thinking compared to most other ethnic groups in the United States. Part of it comes from us being consistently tested as "non-american-" See the discourse on "where are you really from" or the perpetual foreigner. But the pressure on As-Ams is to be proud in our communities, and blend in anywhere else.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress white people, gently caress white supremacy, gently caress america. I hope all the much vaunted "poor whites" who created this whitelash suffer exactly what they've voted for

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

for people asking what's wrong with america, the answer is simple. It starts with "white" and ends with "macy."

every (non-LGBT) demographic of white people voted majority trump. nobody else did. this is a whitelash and the fault lies squarely on white people's terror of PoC getting rights.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

statistically it is more likely any white people you see tomorrow voted trump. think about that. think about how much they hate us (in the broad PoC sense).

there is no longer a justification for anybody to hesitate to say it- white people are racist monsters.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 9, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

LunarShadow posted:

I dunno. They are the same kind of person that is all "YOu are pathetic if you unfriend someone on FB over politics." and I have been trying to not post something akin to what you said in this post cause I am just so loving pissed. The circle she runs is super loving anti-skeleton to the point they are racist.

Do we know the same group of idiots? I'm dealing with my now not really friend Amy who is that exact demographic doing that exact bullshit.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The problem with a lot of well-meaning protections our government has is they're designed by middle-class white people who can't comprehend disenfranchisement. California has some of the most pro-worker labor laws in the country, but they're completely enforceable because you have to be able to afford a lawyer and be powerful enough to feel immune to blacklisting within your profession.

This is exactly why I yell at supposed fellow travelers when they want to throw groups, particularly black people and trans people, under the bus to get increased employment protections for their identity group of choice. Employment protections under at-will are bunk. They may as well not exist for 99% of people. Sacrificing anything to get them is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

saying that racism is not a rational thing isn't letting anyone off the hook for anything. racism is irrational. It is not affected by facts. you don't reason someone into racism. trying to treat it as a rational thing is only going to lead you down an increasingly wrong path.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Barreling into it with a good goddamn reason. This thread is just as poisonous as that poo poo on CSPAM and is loving detrimental to causes I've been working most of my adult life to change. And part of it is real goddamn anger at a bunch of half-woke children having their hugbox disturbed by an opinion that isn't "said the right way".

Your first post in the thread was telling people upset that leftists were pushing PoC aside that their feelings were nonexistent- that everyone is totally acknowledging racism. Ignore all the white leftists who suddenly care a lot more about the white working class than they did yesterday.

Your second post was telling someone who gave you a gentle warning to shut the gently caress up and claiming your behavior was their fault.

The poison here is not the thread.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Racism is completely rational if you benefit from a racist system.

Sure, but as far as can be told the people who go "I'mma go be intentionally racist today for profit!" are few and far between. Most racists are racists on a level that doesn't engage the frontal lobes at all.

Racism gets learned at, and with the same level of sticking in the head, as when you learn that fire is hot and you don't touch it. It takes a long time to wrestle out.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 13, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Like, the key thing is that racism is systemic. Until racism is systemically fought, it hardly matters how many individual minds you change- (not that you shouldn't try, because improving small circumstances is still improvement)- the systemic effects will create a new generation of irrational racists. It will be educated into the children and their children's children. Society perpetuates it in the same way as weird love of the flag and apple pie.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rush Limbo posted:

To give you an idea of how ingrained that poo poo is, even people with severe dementia or Alzheimer's, who have lost all other means of expressing themselves, still know almost every slur they ever learned.

Ask any nurse who's worked with dementia patients or even people who have had relatives who had similar issues and it's a depressingly common observation.

And the studied reason this is is that that the last thing to go, what sticks until the absolute last, is stuff that is steeped in emotion.

What I am saying is, racism is learned like an emotion, not like a fact or a memory. It gets way into your lizard brain and it sticks there, piggybacking off other emotions. That's what is meant by "racism is irrational." It isn't that it isn't a thing we can see and analyze- it is that it makes people irrational in the same way as being angry, or sad. It magnifies feelings of being angry or sad or whatever negatives you want to insert and gives them a target.

That's why poo poo like this works:
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/797572029469917184

Racism piggybacked on fear, ingrained by a society that teaches from birth that being white means you get the pick of the litter.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 13, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

here's a hint darko- all of your justifications, including that one, ignore the agency of the women in question. they are entirely centered on why you and people like you can't get a date and ignore the thoughts of the women entirely.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

That still isn't it. Like, let me rewrite one of your posts to the way I'd have done the perspective to see if I can explain- (I am also a dude so please stop if I'm wrong here anybody watching.)

quote:

I live in the Detroit area, where there is a huge amount of poverty in the area, and the demographic of that is mostly black. I'm also in my mid/late 30s.

Black women that are attractive/maintain their health, have common interests with me and education get "taken" by white men with black fetishes when they're in their 20s.

All that are left are those that I would not be attracted to.

I can't find black women I'd personally want to date because they don't want to date me and are already dating other people. Some of these other people are probably poo poo but I have no way of knowing that. They have made their decision and I respect that, but I am still upset because I feel entitled to the dates I want. This is entirely my problem to fix and no one else's.

I get the BBW thing as well. This is a really touchy thing becaue you don't want to be too physically judgy, but there's the issue that you know they wouldn't message a white guy in your same position with the same frequency.

I am making probably correct assumptions about racism affecting who messages me but I am blaming fat women specifically as opposed to white fetishization of black partners in general.

If I was messaged by the super hot, fit, educated women that messaged my white friend with practically the EXACT same basic stats (income/height/weight/education/politics/religion/hair) as me on the site and very similar profiles, I wouldn't care. But the issue is, I was NOT messaged by them at anywhere near the same frequency, but was blown up by large white women constantly. It becomes a serious case of "what the gently caress," and you cannot help but get angry about it.

I am comparing myself to someone else and feeling angry because I feel entitled to the attention they get. The racist assumptions that are likely there are getting lost in my anger at the women. I shouldn't be mad at the women. If I could articulate the racist assumptions without going into why the women are so "super hot, fit, educated" and dehumanizing them this would have had a much stronger point. Also, I still hate fat people and I need to work on that. Fat women are as entitled to being attracted to who they are attracted to as anybody else.

I've dated every race, myself, and Indian/Asian/Middle Eastern is typically the roughest because (a) they typically don't even see you as a dating prospect in anywhere near the same frequency as black and white women, and (b) even if they do, there's like a 99% chance of their parents judging the hell out of you above and beyond the normal, as opposed to the 65% chance with white.

I am applying a racist stereotype to a huge group of people in response to a racist stereotype that is likely applied against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I wonder what being a real black person entails.

• Locked thread