Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Basically he wrote it on a dare and ended up actually making it a relevant issue again

So, I read this and I get that it's moral stand to talk about reparations, but quite frankly it's never going to happen. We live in a world where Donald Trump has majority white support. If only white men voted, he'd win the election. Does talking about this play into the hands of the people who push the "welfare moms" narrative? I' not saying it's wrong, and perhaps in a more enlightened time it will happen but the chances of it happening even within my lifetime are so small as to be nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

blackguy32 posted:

The point isn't even about reparations. It is the one thing that I can count on white liberals to lose their poo poo over. But you often hear people do want to support reparations, but it's totally reparations in the way "we" like. There never is any conversation about going forward with the study over the damage that these institutions caused or what a good jumping off point is. It's always about, let me just guess how to absolve our legacy of slavery and it is always "rising tide lifts all boats" bullshit.

Oh, well I'm surprised there hasn't been a study on that, honestly. Yeah I'd support a study. It would probably be the worst thing I've read since Gerneralplan Ost, though.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
This thread just makes me think about my ex. She was Kenyan and it was from her that I learned Africans hate american blacks for some reason.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I thought of this thread and was going to try and make a witty comment regarding both it and donald trumps election, but then I remembered donald trump was just elected POTUS and had to cry a little.

• Locked thread