Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

negromancer posted:

Not even close to a violation.

Shonda Rhimes has a good book, pretty much anything by bell hooks, and there were tons of suggestions in the last thread.

can i also recommend amié césaire and his essay discourse on colonialism. if you're like me you'll have to read a translation unless you know french. my copy was translated by joan pinkham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I don't think we could convince a lot of hispanics honestly. There's a whole lot of colorism among latin@s (about a third of my family, although not myself is from El Savador so I'm speaking using my experiences with them and others) and a lot of people feel like they also got hosed over by white people, can be hugely racist against black people and dark skinned poc of any kind and would resist a lot on the basis of "Well we didn't do chattel slavery in the US, so why should our tax money go there?"

like literally my cousin has a black daughter an her husband used to call her a friend of the family to both of their faces. Maybe it's just my lovely family, although from talking to a lot of my latin@ friends it doesn't seem to be.

i've noticed, at least in uh, white(?) circles this assumption that all minority groups are going to be on the same progressive side
which uh... hrm seems to betray a lack of understanding of people in general really

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This thread just makes me think about my ex. She was Kenyan and it was from her that I learned Africans hate american blacks for some reason.

you might be interested in carl phillips' the atlantic sound the later third of the book touches on this kind of thing

i thought i still had my copy but i can't seem to find it

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The fairest solution would be just to give people of color the keys to the country and we collectively get on our boats and gently caress off back to Europe.

well f we're talking in that direction, the native americans might have something to add on that account
we'd have been a nation built on native slavery if we hadn't kept killing them with all our filthy farmyard animal jumped diseases

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's like what you said, yes people who have faced oppression should be able to make connections between their own oppression and the oppression of others. But, I also think the fact that many people don't make that connection is a universal problem and not necessarily a black one.

every person that trots out the irish is screaming proof of that

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the fresh prince of windsor

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing.

apparently some slackchat got set up during one the debates, and it's just stuck around?
i don't know, my past experience with off-site SA chats is that they breed cliquey behavior so i try to avoid

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Are you saying this in terms of design, or in terms of the individual voters?

Because I don't entirely see how a latinx person voting to gently caress over black people is white supremacy? Even if the person contriving to get them to do that is doing so because they're a huge white supremacist.

So by design, yes, individually, I don't follow?

part of white supremacy is divide and conquer
look at the colonization of south/central america or the playing of tribes against each other in africa during the scramble for the obvious examples

my understanding though is that rural white america came out in numbers far and beyond anyone predicted and so we can be flabbergasted all we like about the details, but you can't sidestep the referendum on white men's supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

a couple of my friends are dealing with blowback to taking that kind of stance
i've been trying to encourage them to stick to their guns

• Locked thread