Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I will try, as a good ally, to not gentrify the gently caress out of this town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
All jokes aside I am glad you got this thread made gfsincere and I think its gonna be valuable and important

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Also, it is hilarious to me the people who criticize "The Case for Reparations" clearly without having even read it.

One of the worst mistakes I ever made in D&D was trying to convince the reparations thread that reparations are justifiable

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's a good primer/starting place on the reparations issue? I wasn't even aware it was still a debate, and I'd like to read about it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Basically he wrote it on a dare and ended up actually making it a relevant issue again

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is supposed to be a banme or not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

justice comes swift in the town

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I hope this isn't a violation of rule 1, but I wanted to ask.

I adore Ta-Nehisi Coates, and have also read and enjoyed Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jesmyn Ward, Roxanne Gay, and Colson Whitehead.

I guess I was just wondering if there were any other contemporary critics or writers you think deserve more attention, wish more people read. I want to keep expanding my perspective.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I read this and I get that it's moral stand to talk about reparations, but quite frankly it's never going to happen. We live in a world where Donald Trump has majority white support. If only white men voted, he'd win the election. Does talking about this play into the hands of the people who push the "welfare moms" narrative?

As a white person, my perspective is: People are selfish and white people are in power. Even the most progressive white person is going to be selfishly biased to protecting their privilege because of that. Limiting the possibilities of racial justice to what white people are willing to give up is never going to be a good idea. If white people were not forced to change we would still be somewhere between chattel slavery and Jim Crow.

We, as a race and as a country, are only as progressive as we are forced to be.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Are you talking about The Year of Yes? That book is amazing. Also as a future black woman showrunner Shonda is basically my idol.

I will definitely check out her book. I am not much of a tv watcher *looming ghost of pure pretension appears* but what she has managed to accomplish as a creator is amazing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I don't think we could convince a lot of hispanics honestly. There's a whole lot of colorism among latin@s (about a third of my family, although not myself is from El Savador so I'm speaking using my experiences with them and others) and a lot of people feel like they also got hosed over by white people, can be hugely racist against black people and dark skinned poc of any kind and would resist a lot on the basis of "Well we didn't do chattel slavery in the US, so why should our tax money go there?"

like literally my cousin has a black daughter an her husband used to call her a friend of the family to both of their faces. Maybe it's just my lovely family, although from talking to a lot of my latin@ friends it doesn't seem to be.

I wonder how much of it is the broadness of latinx as an ethnic designation. Like, realistically speaking latinx doesn't mean much as an ethnic qualifier. It encompasses mestizo/a, chicano/a, indio/a, etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Yes, this is something that I am still trying to learn. Like some members of my family only consider mestiz@ or chican@ as latin@. It's very interesting.

Its interesting, because Latin America is basically what would have happened if the United States had settled for rape instead of genocide for the native population and then codified the offspring.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Speaking for myself obviously but chattel slavery was a terrible thing and we are still living with the ramifications of it, Jim Crow and the institutional racism that followed.

America was literally built on the backs of my people. For free. We deserve payment.

Yeah, I think one of the misconceptions that white people have about reparations is that its supposed to be some kind of lump sum to say "sorry about slavery"

It's not. Reparations would have to be, at least, a multi-generational investment in every level of infrastructure in black communities.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

new name huh?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

Like I said then, I haven't really sat down and thought it through what reparations would look like.

I mean, its hard. How do you put a clear estimate on the collective wealth of the richest country on earth, as well as the lost wealth from additional generations of housing and employment discrimination?

True reparations might even be objectively impossible because it could argued that American blacks are owed more wealth than the United States as a country even has.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

but when you show them how they are still sinning and benefiting from those sins, that tends to shut them down right quick.

you say that but

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760929
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787021

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Can you put a rough dollar value on this in today's dollars?

all of it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

Right, they also like to compare themselves, the lucky and fortunate 1% that can get the gently caress out of their country to our poorest and go "this is why we're so awesome, why can't black people in the US get it together?"

Then just point out how our poorest have refrigerators and their poorest don't know what the hell one is, and that shuts them up right quick.

There was an interesting story on NPR a few weeks ago about a black American who faked being Kenyan for his entire first semester at an almost all-white college and how white people loved to hang out with him because he was an "exotic" black person and not a "normal" black person.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When I went to Ireland I was there for twenty minutes and got asked for directions

I was home :shobon:

negromancer posted:

Well, the value of all the slaves in 1860 exceeded the material wealth of the country outside of slavery, so yeah, probably lowballing.

That and the whole destruction of actual towns like Black Wall Street in the early 20th century, yeah we got some money coming.

Yeah, I mean. The literal ENTIRE WEALTH of the United States was built off the foundation of slave labor. Even the wealth that came from industry and trade was only possible because of the wealth earned from slave labor. The whole root of American prosperity was slavery.

And then you add to that how black Americans were explicitly locked out from that wealth post-slavery by housing and employment discrimination.

Objectively the number is higher than is actually materially possible.

The fairest solution would be just to give people of color the keys to the country and we collectively get on our boats and gently caress off back to Europe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

I thought his show was great, personally.

I got to go backstage and get the full VIP treatment due to my best friend Felonious Munk being a regular guest on there.

https://www.instagram.com/blacktonystarks/

You can see pictures of it around 26 weeks ago. I don't take many pictures.

*me scanning through your photos*

Whoa wait... is that MVP?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

Yessir. He was down in Ferguson.

He told me I shouldn't have given up on wanting to be a pro wrestler in high school.

Such a cool rear end dude.

We're gonna need to chat pro wrestling and Marvel comics sometime

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

As you can see, I'm very into Marvel.

Yeah I got that impression haha

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I do wonder how fair it is to try and claim the black community is uniquely bigoted towards the LGBT community. The black community is subject to the same social forces pushing LGBT hatred as white America is. Is there really a unique issue in the black community or is it just that LGBT hatred is an issue in American culture, and the black community exists within American culture like everyone else?

Admittedly, I am sensitive to this because, as a white outsider, I have primarily seen the idea of "black homophobia" used to try and nullify and deflect away from the realities of racism. A lot of white people uncomfortable with the truth about modern racism are quick to try and vilify the black community to try and weaken their sense of personal moral responsibility.

If it is considered as a unique issue within the black community however, instead of just from an outsider perspective, I would like to hear more about it though.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

That being said, it doesn't excuses black homophobia, sexism, or transphobia, but virtually every problem in the black community can be traced back to slavery and our treatment at the hands of white America.

Yeah, I guess what I get caught up on is that if a white person is a bigot, its called homophobia. If a black person is a bigot, it seems to be called "black homophobia" like its a unique and different issue even though it comes from the same social and religious forces.

I do also think white people have an unfair expectation that people who have suffered oppression should be cleansed of their own bigotry, and we get shocked and upset when people who have faced oppression are not perfect themselves.

It's like what you said, yes people who have faced oppression should be able to make connections between their own oppression and the oppression of others. But, I also think the fact that many people don't make that connection is a universal problem and not necessarily a black one.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wish Prince Harry wasn't so far down the line of succession because the possibility of a black prince hanging like the sword of damacles over the Brexit crowd in England for a few years would be fantastic

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Darko posted:

It's basically a combination of a group being part of so many demographics that lend itself to this type of thinking. It's uniquely high and powerful to this demographic because of that combination.

I come from poor as gently caress rural Appalachia though and literally all of those things also apply to white homophobia. Pennsyltucky is a vastly majority white community but because its poor and isolated it also struggles with hypermasculinity, religion, low marriage rates, and outsider paranoia. I wonder how fair it is to consider it a "black" problem when it seems to be universal to any isolated and impoverished community.

I think there is an importance in making a distinction between "problems that affect the black community" and "black community problems"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

When you couple that with the pressure to be extremely masculine within poorer black communities, it's natural that violence is inflicted on those who don't attempt to fit into that framework. And unlike a poor white queer person, who might have access to at least some resources to help them leave their situation, black queer people often find themselves unable to leave the community that is rejecting them. See my example in the mysoginoir thread about people just assuming all black transwomen are prostitutes. Good luck getting a job even at McDonald's when that's the stigma you walk in with.

That's fair. As I've said before, I think one of the reasons I am reluctant to want to make the distinction is because of how I have seen the white community use it as a weapon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I get that, but that's really a criticism of the white community and distinct from the problems within the black community. Both problems need to be addressed, but I think trying to say that white homophobia and black homophobia are the same erases the experiences of queer people of color.

Yeah that's completely reasonable

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

how did that even happen

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

"La Kynn" in Spanish roughly translates to "The Becky"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What did everyone keep saying in that shitshow of a QCS thread? Don't Double Down. I'm a woman, I'm telling you what you're saying is sexist. Please stop. We shouldn't have to fight about this.

I will admit, this seems like the kind of argument I am obligated to sit out on the sidelines from. I don't want to make it sound like I am refusing to take a side, but I am really not sure I have anything of value, as a white person, to add to a discussion about sexism in the black community.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meanwhile, the leader of the RNC is named loving Reince

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

Now this is something I'm posting from pure ignorance, but it is something I've noticed.

It was brought up that people don't get to choose their own names, BUT we as black people when we have ethnic names, just resign ourselves to correcting every ignorant white person that feels like being a jackass about their ethnic illiteracy, but Asians, specifically Chinese and Vietnamese, will make up a American name like Jake or Mike, when their real name is Nguyen or Han, and rather than make them call them by their actual name and put some respekt on it.\

I've never understood how they reacted in that manner while simultaneously professing an abundance of ethnic pride.

Well, I actually teach Chinese Immigrants almost exclusively, so let me offer my perspective.

A. The first issue is that authentic Chinese is incredibly difficult for native English speakers to speak effectively. There are elements and signifiers to their pronunciation we don't have at all in English. Even if you listen to them say their name several times, it can still be very hard to mimic it because our ears actually aren't attuned to the subtleties of their pronunciation. Most Chinese students do it simply because its easier for communication on a practical level.

B. Its also become, for many young people, a form of personal expression. Some students have changed their English name several times. One guy changed it to a different rapper ever session. I think they see it more as an opportunity to reinvent themselves than seeing it as a sign of disrespect to their culture.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tarezax posted:

People don't get it right because they literally can't, like their brain can't process the sound correctly.

Yeah, this has always been the reality for most of my colleagues. Chinese also has a lot of sounds that just cannot be transliterated into English. Runqi is a good example. The "qi" there is not at all pronounced like you would expect "qi" to be pronounced but there literally isn't a way to express that sound using English letters.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

See, you can't come into Negrotown and drop something like the bolded and NOT give examples, famalam.

Let's see... first he was Rain (who I guess is a Korean rapper?)
Then Jay
Then Nelly

and then I think he graduated.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

Also the same woman who told me I couldn't get a quality (read:black woman at my income level) woman dressed the way I do on my instagram (as in jeans, gym shoes, Iron Man t-shirt).

Well she's right

Everyone knows the ladies love Hawkeye

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

negromancer posted:

Jokes on you, I have 2 Hawkeye shirts that I wear when I go hunting.

Have you been following the Coates Black Panther run? I got the first three issues when they released but decided it would be best to just wait for an omnibus than read it piece by piece every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would suggest adding it to the rules of the OP if you guys decide on it. Knowing the trends of the forum I can see a lot of people falling into that behavior.

• Locked thread