Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rick_Hunter posted:

Sickle cells gives heterozygous advantage to those who live in regions where malaria is prevalent like the tropics and, you guessed it, Africa.

There is nothing that connects race or skin tone to this trait. It's simply an inherited trait that developed in regions where malaria is. You would be ignorant to think that only white people can have cystic fibrosis or Tay-Sachs disease in Ashkenazi Jews.

I'm not sure I completely understood the quote but I got the gist of "it's because of malaria." I would never have thought to connect cystic fibrosis to white people. My high school bio teacher's son has that disease and told us about it. Thank you for the explanation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rick_Hunter posted:

The quote was more to show that there's a mechanism underlying sickle cell's ability to prevent malaria. It isn't just because the malaria parasite can't infect sickle cells.

But the main point is that regardless of the human construct 'race', the trait developed because it gave an advantage where the benefits of being resistant to malaria outweighed the risks of having a child with full sickle cell anemia. Therefore, the people that were resistant (HbS/HbW) survived to reproduce better than those that were HbW/HbW or HbS/HbS (W = Wild type, S = Sickle cell).

Here's a paper (which I'm sure people never really followed up on :rolleyes:) about Sicily.

Basically, the researchers are suggesting that the sickle cell trait developed independent of race and instead developed because of selective pressure of the environment.

Ok, that makes sense. That also sounds familiar, I think I was just suspicious of people connecting biology to race the last time I heard about this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The ones I wear are round-toed. :confused:

I will admit they are probably nerdy as hell though.

Hey, those are the kind of shoes both my grandpas really like!

Wait that's not helping is it...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Sure, but maybe it would shut up all the liberals who keep telling me "they voted for Trump because they're scared about the economy, not because they hate gays and blacks".

We didn't lose because liberals went Trump, we lost because a lot of them just straight up stayed home. Also a lot of college educated suburbanites and white women in particular didn't show up or flipped. The election can't just be pinned on poor white people, it's the suburbanites who knew what they were voting for and did it anyway because tax cuts that deserve most to burn.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

no, I think I'm not articulating myself here. I am trans, black, and native american. I am scared shitless. And all these liberals I know keep trying to spin bullshit like "don't worry, the people who voted for Trump are scared about the economy, they don't don't really want to electrocute the queer out of you". And no matter how many times I try to explain to them to shut up and listen to the minority, they just want to trample all over me with "The problem is that the two side just won't talk to each other." Maybe if the economy was good and the racists were still racist these loving dipshit white liberals could get off their high horse for a second and realize that half of america isn't just being deceived by the Republicans, half of America really is just a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic shitheads.

I think that things are a self-reinforcing cyclical loop. People are hateful at worst and indifferent at best to minorities and then the economy is bad so they are mad about that and then in comes an orange clown who nearly ties it all together into a scapegoat narrative and drives them into a goddamn frenzy and the hatred against everything reaches a fever pitch. There's decent evidence that this isn't a localized event either. Governments throughout Europe are falling to economic populism mixed with white nationalist and anti-immigration parties.

Trump got less votes than Romney, McCain, or Bush. I think we can fix this long term, but I am not going to deny that white people were complicit in or indifferent towards the suffering of millions and inflicted Trump on us all. It's also probably gonna get worse before it gets better. :smith:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

whydirt posted:

I think Trump actually passed Romney after more votes from out west were tallied.

Ah, hadn't heard that. Well, he managed to get more votes by being a racist shitbag than a literal Wall Street robot pretending to be a presidential candidate, so congrats?

countdown to "haha you mean Hillary right?"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm sorry if that's what you thought I was trying to say KM, that's not how I meant it.

I'll see myself out. :smith:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That actually came up in USPOL in October when that story first broke. That guy is an idiot because that's not what "voter suppression" means. Voter suppression is the government intentionally making it harder for (certain types of) people to vote, via ID laws, reducing DMV hours, cutting early voting days and hours, and cutting polling places.

What that guy is talking about is targeted ads to try and demoralize the opposing base and get them to stay home, which in general is a legitimate tactic and while I think that their ads were stupid and that the "superpredator" meme is played out, they were actually relevant to their target audience. It was the same basic strategy being employed by the Hillary campaign to attempt to get business conservatives or neoconservatives to stay home and avoid Trump because he's a piece of poo poo, just being used by morons.

That said, the massive amount of unaccountable data collection on users is super hosed up, though I doubt we could ever get somebody to do anything about it. I'm more concerned about them using data collection to let companies decide to just straight up exclude black people from seeing their ads, which is a thing Facebook actually does.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

blackguy32 posted:

So what's people opinion here on populism? Considering the United States history with it, I am super skeptical about it because usually it ends up being racist as gently caress. But is there a way to reconcile a populist message with identity politics?

An alarming number of people in USPOL are happily jumping on the "gently caress immigrants, deport illegals for daring to undercut white dude wages, gently caress the global poor we have our own poor" train. One person unironically said he wants to get rid of loving birthright citizenship (you know that thing they made to protect black people from legal discrimination against their kids?) and nobody was like what the gently caress.

With how quick leftists are to adopt literal Republican talking points against Mexican immigrants I don't even want to know how fast they'd drop BLM. The problem isn't populism, the problem is that white liberals/leftists are morons.

(The fact that "globalization is a neoliberal conspiracy" is a credible talking point is also alarming for different reasons)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't think that's as big a problem as you think dude. The left has done more as an ally to BLM then anything neolibs have done, but I guess loving Hamelton and Beyonce is what's important.

I would argue that there aren't really enough proper leftists in this country to make a difference. I'm more speaking to forum culture. A LOT of people are quick to shout down any mention of racism as an integral part of this election, and seem blind to how easy it is for white dude progressives to just ignore issues of minorities.

This isn't about the Democrats being good, it's about progressives overestimating our own competence and capacity for empathy. The simple notion of "maybe we should shut up and let minorities lead the progressive movement" was met with outright hostility by much of USPOL.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OmanyteJackson posted:

Racism is hard coded into this country, it's always been here and it always will. Obama won despite racism. if your big takeaway from this election is "huh, we've got a lot of racism around here." maybe stop posting.

Cause here's the thing "white dude issues" are poc and women issues too.

This is definitely not the thread to take this stance in the "was racism an important part of the last election?" debate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

We did. Andrew Jackson.

Imo Reagan is the closest analogue historically. Blatantly bullshit famous celebrity widely disliked initially by his own party, who ran on straight horseshit and racism to draw the white working class away from their labor unions towards reactionary politics due to anti-desegregation.

"Make America Great Again" was actually a Reagan slogan as well. The right compares Trump to Reagan and they're dead on, they just think it's a flattering comparison. :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

Just watched Suicide Squad.

It wasn't that bad.

I just watched this last night too and absolutely hated it. It was an absolute mess on a plot level and they were hoping sleight of hand with quirky characters would save it.

Viola Davis' character was pointlessly vindictive and evil for the sake of it, she literally creates her own problem with her dumb plan and in general I thought it was kind of weird and bad that they decided to make the black woman "mission control" character also effectively the main villain.

The whole Native American magic thing was also massively hosed up and Diablo becoming Aztec fire god literally with no warming or set up was baffling.

Edit: also in retrospect Will Smith was way too famous and moderately old for that role. Every scene he was in took me right out of the movie because he's the only recognizable actor and he's basically playing "Will Smith but tired" and it was kind of weird. The rest of the cast was mostly white as hell though so the movie would've suffered from his absence.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 21, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

omg I went off on a coworker the other day because he was humming the tune to Astronomy and when I started dropping the lyrics he's all "What is that?" and he had never loving heard of Blackstar (or Mos Def or Talib individually). I was just like "how could you have picked up the tune and absorbed nothing about the source or its message?" and apparently that was just me being a dick for no reason according to him.

I've noticed that people (predominantly but not always white) have an interestingly difficult time actually understanding music, any music by any artist, on anything but a surface level. You can put the most political music you can find in front of most people and they just won't notice most of the time, because most people don't seem to actually listen to the words of a song other than maybe the chorus. I dunno why this is, but it's unfortunate because there's lots of good protest and left-wing music that people like and just have no idea what it's even about.

Like, if you want an illustrative example, ask people if they know what the song "99 Red Balloons" is about and if they consider it to be a song with a message.

If you don't know, it's about two little kids in '80s West Germany who buy 99 balloons and release them, whereupon American and Soviet radar picks them up as missile launches and they initiate WW3 over it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Are you honestly suggesting there's racial disparity in people "getting" music or not? Because that would go near the top of stupid and naive opinions you've produced.

I'm suggesting that I've mostly observed the phenomenon in white people, which is a product of the company I keep. I'd also argue that the ability to blindly consume media without regard to its meaning or context is a small part of white privilege, yes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

I've observed in in non-white people, but I always just assumed it's a product of having brains hardwired for language/music and thinking about the content is a different function you have to deliberately engage. Also on a broad cultural level we do a poor job of teaching people critical thinking of anything, much less the stuff they consume for entertainment. But I find your theory about privileged have an effect on that to be an interesting one. Is the idea that living in a culture inherently hostile to you conditions you to be more perceptive/critical of everything because in a sense you are constantly on guard for harm?

I mean, I have too. Actually in retrospect I've noticed it's much stronger among older people than younger people, more so than any other variable, though young people do it too. Young people seem more receptive to meaning being pointed out though.

As to privilege, I'm sure that, that notion, that underprivileged people of all kinds would pay more attention out of a justified suspicion, but I'd also argue that as somebody who is privileged, I for example could afford to just listen to songs by Beyonce and not look for any hidden meaning because if there was one I'm only going to appreciate it on an academic level. Her strong message on, say, black women should feel empowered and good by virtue of their black womanhood just isn't going to mean as much to me as, say, TB, because I have the privilege of not having to engage with that experience, ever, if I so choose.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Maluco Marinero posted:

That's an awfully broad brush you're drawing there in the liberal camp, and really, the average white NRA guy has very little to actually fear that their guns will protect them from. They aren't victims to hate crimes, they can open carry and reach for their holster in front of police and even then, even in a seemingly hostile act will be given the benefit of the doubt.

In fairness to this police officer, at this point he doesn't have draw advantage and desecalation is the only reasonable option.

The actual injustice is that he almost certainly didn't get arrested afterwards for threatening an officer, like a black man absolutely would've at best. :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dexo posted:

I mean. At some point the only way to resolve that situation is to remove them from the store.

Regardless of how loving bullshit it is. If the manager and employees of a store tell you to leave and say you are trespassing then you are kinda trespassing.

Yeah they unfortunately had no legal standing to be there even if they were in the right.

What's actually horseshit is that those employees are being retrained instead of fired because holy poo poo really?

Like even from a purely selfish rear end in a top hat standpoint I wouldn't want employees that will shut the store down and turn away customers because they think black people are spooky. :psyduck:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Slavery is one of those types of economic moral hazards that are bad for the economy and don't make sense in the aggregate but are perfectly fine from a purely selfish standpoint it makes sense because you get to benefit from significantly cheaper labor. Asking "isn't that bad for the economy?" is the wrong question because the people in question only care about their own gains.

Funnily enough however slavery being bad for the aggregate economy is part of why the antebellum South was in tatters economically. The aristocracy had no interest in developing infrastructure because they just imported stuff from Britain by sea and the Mississippi River and demand was chronically lovely because huge swaths of the labor market were unpaid slaves. Meanwhile a disproportionate amount of money and free labor had to be wasted on a preposterous police state because they lived in permanent fear of slave rebellions. By the time of the Civil War they were going through people's mail and recieving abolitionist literature had been made a crime in many states.

This should sound familiar to modern America. :smith:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LunarShadow posted:

Modern policing came pretty much directly from the Southern slave patrols/KKK

Basically. Just about everything in American politics has the stain of slavery on it. We are in a very literal sense a nation built on and around the concept of chattel slavery. It was a relatively new and untested concept in its day and its proliferation was disastrous.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LunarShadow posted:

I know, just wanted to point out that it wasn't coincidence cause your post , I imagine unintentionally, kinda implied it was.

Ah, no the implication I was going for was that little has changed. :negative:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DC Murderverse posted:

I had never read much about Jesse Jackson's presidential runs before, but this Jamelle Bouie article does a really great job of making the case that his rhetoric is the way the Democratic party needs to trend in the future. His argument on Twitter has been that the idea of getting rid of or ignoring identity politics does nothing but pour more cement over the idea that "white straight male" is not an identity, but the norm, and this is probably the best way I've seen him present it (since Twitter is kinda poo poo for actually outlining ideas that don't fit in a tweet or two).

I also had never read or heard Jackson's speech from the 1988 DNC. As it turns out, if someone "earns" the reputation of a race baiter, whether or not it's warranted, they get slowly ignored no matter what they have to say. Jesse Jackson is cool.

Every time I suggest this strategy - recruit and endorse minority candidates with drive and skill to run a populist message for everyone - I get yelled at with broadly similar arguments that you would expect against affirmative action. White dude progressives can't even conceive of not running the movement.

That picture of Jesse Jackson is magnificent though. :allears:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

xthetenth posted:

Also freedom for slaves seemed to be a thing that actually happened once in a while.

It was actually a thing that happened in early American slavery too. The transition from general enslavement of the poor to chattel slavery focused on race is very interesting and forms the basis for the argument that white identity as a construct was pushed in part in America to entrench white landowners by pitting former white slaves and poor people against black slaves. Of course race is a self-perpetuating memetic system so it's not so easy to put down with simple class politics, but the intersection of class and race politics in America is the story of the nation.

As to good sources, I don't have any specific academic stuff on hand sadly. :(

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

zegermans posted:

Hey that cop that shot Walter Scott in the back is going to at least get a mistrial because of one racist fuckstick on the jury

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/jury-says-it-s-deadlocked-trial-officer-who-shot-walter-n691291

That's super lovely.

I mean at least it's just one guy and not old school "they deliberated for five minutes and came back unanimously not guilty" like in the old days. Still blows though. :negative:

If they mistrial they can retry can't they?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shrike82 posted:

tbf everytime someone cancels a tour for one reason or another, they check themselves into treatment so who knows whether he's just pretending

You are remarkably awful.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fluffdaddy posted:

I believe that young man was featured in part of the 13th amendment documentary for a small section, so it is good that more people will hear about this.

Wasn't he mentally disabled as well? :smith:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lowtax posted:

I have white rage.

quote:

Negrotown

Seems legitimate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm kinda astonished that the solution to this forums 'problem' was literal segregation. Like, god drat, way to give the drive by team what they wanted I guess.

In the ongoing battle between team "make stuff great again" and team "stuff is already great," make stuff great again claims another victory against all that is good in the world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807088

I made a new thread to discuss gender/racial/sexual politics of the horror genre! Come talk about spooky social commentary. :ghost:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

temple posted:

I guess you are missing my point. I accounted for racism, however the effects are racism are largely decreased with wealth. Do you understand the effects of poverty and their root in american racism?

I feel like taking on a patronizing tone about the mechanics of racism in a thread for and about black people that has many black posters is sort of strange and silly.

Also while having wealth diminishes the effects of racism on an individual they aren't eliminated and decreasing wealth inequality won't solve nearly all of the problems of racism in America, nor will it necessarily stick if the racist systems are left in place. One of the bigger problems facing successful black Americans today, as I understand it, is the high rate of their children backsliding into worse economic conditions than them because they run up against the system and are unable to overcome its systemic biases.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

This was an answer to a question about his running style, not some political statement, if that's troubling any of you.

Noooo don't ruin it for me. :mad:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/02/09/a_damning_chart_about_the_black_white_wealth_gap.html

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VikingofRock posted:

Don't most white people not even have any non-white friends? I remember reading some statistic about that and being pretty blown away by it. So I bet for a lot of white people it's not that they can't connect the two dots, it's that they don't even really realize the two dots exist.

I think it's important to understand that a substantial majority of the country, somewhere between 60-65%, is still white. And that historically, up until recently, that number was even higher. Combine that with things like white flight and migration patterns of black people from the South to major cities in the North and Midwest, and you have a scenario where the majority of the population live in completely monochrome, segregated communities because of choices their parents or grandparents, or perhaps even further back, made decades ago at least.

For a lot of white people, it's not even just hatred of black people, it's a complete failure to even recognize the significance of black people as people, along with other minorities. Their hate is abstract; they're indifferent to the humanity of minorities in practice, which is much more insidious because trying to get them to recognize problems like de facto segregation is nearly impossible when they can't even recognize why this is a problem. That's just how it is for them.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 11, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dexo posted:

I dunno. I say that about Clarence Thomas all the drat time. Probably not the right way to actually talk about him when having serious discussions, but gently caress that dude.

That may be true, but you're a black person, and I feel like it's inappropriate for white people to make explicitly racially tinged insults against him just because he's a bad person politically.

A good example of this is Sheriff Clarke in Milwaukee. Just because he's a bad person doesn't make it ok for white people to use racial slurs against him.

Though they do. Often. :negative:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

I doubt it's a total fabrication that some white people actually fighting for POC's right happened, but it's almost guaranteed to be in less numbers, of less significance, and in less purely heroic ways than it gets framed in media. Bernie marching for civil rights vs. sign-bashing desegregation scene.

It's not that there weren't sympathetic white allies who were good and helpful, it's that media likes to present the mythical narrative that they were numerous/mainstream/whatever and allows modern white people to essentially say "if I lived back then, I would've been the good white person, because I am now!"

It's essentially #notallwhitepeople as a revisionist framework, rather than the specific insertion of fictional good white people, though that happens too I'm sure.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

Um, yeah. That's what the discussion is about, media impact on out perception of white support for civil rights and POC in general.

I may have misread the discussion, ignore me then, sorry!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

weak wrists big dick posted:

What states could Bernie have won in the South, realistically? I could maybe see Oklahoma or New Mexico going for it

Neither of those are culturally part of the Deep/Solid South, which is basically the states that formed the Confederacy in the Civil War.

I don't realistically think Bernie could've won any of those states out from under Trump in the general, the palpable racism in Trump's campaign was far too strong.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Neurolimal posted:

Actually, I'm talking about support among minorities for single-payer, leftist policies, and Bernie Sanders (who sits at double the democratic parties' overall approval rating right now).

Minority voters, in general, like most Americans, will support left-wing progressive policy when it is presented to them as an idea.

What they tend not to support is white politicians presenting progressive policy for white people only, which has been a severe historical problem for the United States.

Please repeat after me: the New Deal and the GI Bill were the bedrock of the '50s-'70s halcyon days of the manufacturing middle class of white suburbanites, and it only passed legislative muster because it was both legally and in practice denied to black Americans and mostly only for men. Leftist public policy with broad white support collapsed after the Civil Rights Movement and it isn't a coincidence.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Neurolimal posted:

Why aren't you willing to answer me? I'm not attacking you, I just want to know why Sanders has appeal to young minorities if he's pedaling a White Working Class narrative. That was the scope of my question.

Because minorities aren't a monolith or a hive mind and strategic voting exists? There's a shitload of answers to this question and a lot of them don't support your implied thesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Moridin920 posted:

To be perfectly blunt it's just funny how people will be so quick to (rightfully) say "black people are not a monolithic entity!" when someone asks "how do black people feel about..." and yet for some reason the statement "the black people's candidate was Hillary Clinton and her defeat was a personal insult to black people" is fine.

Because the statement "Hillary Clinton was the black person's candidate in the 2016 Democratic Primary" isn't a value judgement, it's a statistical fact.

Why that was statistically true is a complicated and multifaceted question and the answer isn't the same for all black Americans who voted for Hillary Clinton.

• Locked thread