Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

slinkimalinki posted:

I miss y'all in the USPOL thread and I'm annoyed your voices were silenced in its anemic successor, but I'm excited for what this thread will bring.

I find it kind of funny that all the other threads in CSPAM and the weird election one in D&D are just as fast, if not faster, than USPOL.

Can a halfrican like myself move into Negrotown? If there's the Biracial District I'll gladly set up shop.

I just moved to Sweden to live with my goon partner and the race things here are...really weird. It's definitely been an experience.

E: Check out this teeny article from AV Club about Gullah Gullah Island. I can't believe I still remember the whole theme song.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

Yeah...the Chinese community really hosed itself in NYC with that one, considering politically how much they relied on other minorities to get stuff passed for their communities.

That poo poo ain't happening now considering their argument was basically, "hey, why can't we kill black people without consequences? Aren't we the model (read: pet) minority?"

How quickly they forget about this same country sticking them in mountains and caves and blowing them the hell up.

Black-Asian American relations are really complicated and evident of the "divide and conquer" strategy of white supremacy. I've heard some heinous anti-Asian poo poo from black friends going unchecked, and don't even get me started about beauty shop politics.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Wait who isn't a fan of Mulatto people?

Light Skinned dudes and chicks get all the play in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbquDj3mkGc

Easy with the M term, halfrican american, please.

E: EEEEYIKES KM.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Koalas March posted:

But also, it seems like way more black women are dating outside of the race and that's good, imo, especially when you take into account how undesirable white supremacy tries to make black women at every turn.

I've dated mostly white men, and I have a few black girlfriends who do as well. I've had black men say horrendous things about it.

In my incredibly pale dating history, I have noticed something which may not apply for all. When it comes to white men, I think more actually are interested in black women than they let on, or that they feel is socially acceptable. I've often been the "first black girl" (which isn't technically true) for a lot of white dudes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I live abroad and I've been crying since my partner woke me up. I even loving voted for her. I get to face to people in a different country as to why this happened. I get to do this for the rest of my life.

Great.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There is someone seriously burning some money today for red titles.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

Humble question to noble thread, does a Trump presidency frighten you? Not in a vague cultural sense, but as a real world threat.

Some of my friends back home have had pretty wretched interactions yesterday, and a lot of other immigrants here in Sweden have told me about their family in the states. They're worried.

My sister was stalked few weeks back by some creep with a Gadsden flag waving from their truck while running. She goes to school at Hampshire which is comedically left. I'm...keeping in there.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

Someone is pretty much lurking this thread and handing Lowtax money hand over fist for redtexts.

Lowtax should thank me.

Singlehandedly keeping the lights on here at this point. I wonder if theres numbers on red texts.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

i love the hip hop and kanye west, you people make the best music

collared greens!!!!

I'm ok with a frocked veggie.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The Wiz you all forgot The Wiz you monsters

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Cuba Gooding Jr.? He was in American Gangster, Selma, The Butler, and a lot of Direct-to-DVD stinkers.

Snow Dogs. I remind you of Snow Dogs.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My Trump supporting, Nigerian immigrant father wants to "talk" and I don't know what to say outside of "at least when you were a poo poo father in the 90s it didn't endanger the rest of the world."

E: is there a "no you shut the gently caress up dad" emote or

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

Closest thing I could find.

Ask him if he has the plug on any Nigerian princes.

I wish. I goddamn wish he was scam Nigerian instead of "continuously shooting themselves in the foot" Nigerian.

I'm merely "kind of a weirdo" Nigerian, but only half. Weirdo American.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

The best (read: worst) part about the latter type is as SOON as white people let them know they aint nothing but a friend of the family too, its "we ALL need to come together as the African diaspora, and leave old wounds behind" poo poo, like we gonna forget all that poo poo they were talking because a white cop let them know their place in America.

I've confronted him about the whole cops can't tell if your black or African you're a dead friend of the family either way and his response is "I know my rights!"

My entire father's side of the family does not know why he veers to the right. He has seen brutal, violent oppression in the flesh.

But when I have those same fears for me and my sister I'm being "emotional."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I will say this about the "not quite 9/11 but up there in surreality" week. Literally everyone here, whether it be white Swedes or Syrian refugees and all in between, have shown me sympathy and love towards me. I've never been shown unabashed and unconditional "We're here for you" like this in my life. People who have no business even giving me the time of day asking me if I'm ok, if I've slept, how I'm doing. It's made me feel more welcome here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

So I gotta ask now that it's being done, is there a strong debate in the black community on the use of "friend of the family" to refer to one another/yourselves? Is it controversial? How do you guys feel about it?

Also at the risk of being patronizing I'd caution against throwing it around willy-nilly in relation to forum rules.

If you are black and use it I don't care. If you are black and do not use it, I do not care. Just don't ever refer to me as it as a term of endearment....ever.

I personally refuse to say it outside of being in context of something. I think white people should follow that example. They gave that word to us, they can't just take it back.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I've had a similar experience to Panfilo because of this and the Misogynoir thread as well. I just didn't want to say so because I know this thread isn't for me and I want to keep my post count here to a minimum (and doing a pretty poor job of it).

But I want to echo that yes, these threads are doing good and teaching people about things they sorely need to be taught.

And frankly, I'm learning a bit as well. As hard as you think it may be to "ask a POC," the opposite is nearly nonexistent, lest we summon the label of "uppity."

e: Forums ate my quote, call up Jesse Jackson, I'm suing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

You didn't need to write the multiple paragraphs about why you don't date black women.

Fat biracial woman here, and OKC sucked and I'm glad I somehow found my partner through this dead gay forum. Dating before him was pretty meh in that more white men are into black women than I thought, but it has a bit of a stigma. America way more so, but I'd also get a lot of fetishists (for black women and for fat women, sometimes both :unsmigghh: ). Sweden, which is outrageously, like shades of white I didn't know could exist, white, seems to be a bit more laxer with swirls, and I've seen more white dude-black/brown gal couples here, which is pretty nice.

However, I've also had a lot of Swedish dudes here hit on me and it is weird as hell. My first (and only!) cat caller here was this creepy white old man while I was doing laundry. He got up and walked away from me silently when I mentioned that I lived with my partner here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
This might also be the topic to talk about in the misogynoir thread.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus is a black woman. Might want to ease off on the whitesplaining/mansplaining accusations.

I don't think they're here on a goodwill mission

Anywho, how are you all holding up? What have y'all done to take care of yourselves?

Fallout and :420: have been big helps.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Talmonis posted:

It's this. Every last one of those Stein supporters claiming ideological purity and making GBS threads on Clinton the whole election need to be taken to task. I'm just glad the ones I know weren't a factor in my state. MD wasn't going anywhere but Blue.

Stein ran the "I'm not like the *other* girls" campaign.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

visceril posted:

The DNC could also ignore white people and try to undo voter suppression state-by-state.

No but you see the DNC ignored rural white voters stuck in the loving 50s and we must hyper focus on them for what loving ever reason.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

Makes me think about when they released that Mascots movie and I watched the trailer. Looked kinda funny but it was literally 100% white people and I'm not interested in supporting that poo poo anymore. Was glad to see reviews were bad afterwards.

That's Christopher Guest for you. It's worth a watch if you liked Waiting for Guffman or Parker Posey Parker Poseying it up. Otherwise it's a solid shrug.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Not "among black men", it's an internet/twitter thing where (mostly white) people talk about anime and video game characters by calling them good sweet [adjective] boys, because Griffin McElroy has taken total control of the web's linguistic trends.

As someone who can't stand the goddamn McElroy brothers, it just slightly rubs me the wrong way.

I can make witty and cutesy catchphrases too, Marc!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Aliquid posted:

my nigerian middle-class friends are really something else

Hey maybe don't post easy-to-find facebook information here! It's creepy!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

She is. This gif gets me through so many Discord conversations:

Hey let's get a discord room goin'

I have so many gifs to offload plus y'all seem like solid people to shoot the poo poo with.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I guess it couldn't have come out at a better (or worse) time because white anxiety is so high, especially since it features the black lead meeting his white girlfriend's parents for the first time.

For me, they perfectly encapsulated the feeling of the initial first "meet white boyfriends white parents" nightmare scenario. I'm dragging the partner to see it when it comes out, if it comes out in Sweden.

I'm sort of hoping it can jumpstart at least better diversity in horror outside of "spooky curse from amalgamated nonwhite land!"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hey egg on my face if I'm wrong but, there can be several different types of black experiences. There shouldn't be one mainstream black experience.

You know what it's like growing up in white suburbia and you're the faint brown dot? It's loving nerve wracking. You are never going to be white because lol white supremacy and you'll never be seen as "authentically black" because you don't fit in with the lovely narrative that white supremacy slaps on to black and African American people as a whole. You are in a limbo of identity.

loving catch me with that "they're from white suburbia so their poo poo is inauthentic."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

There are far more than several types, but suburban blacks tend to only have one and believe there's only two types of black experience.

Key and Peele come off as inauthentic in a lot of their portrayals of blackness because it is inauthentic. They have no actual experience with it.

Hi! Suburban black here! Key and Peele's experience is probably entirely different than mine for a bevy of different factors! My black experience is different than my sisters! And hosed up but true, but they're just as authentic as yours.

Being black is not a loving monolithic, one-size-fits-all experience. There can be similarities but inherently, they're all loving different and we shouldn't disengage with those that are different because hell, disregarding them is the same poo poo white society does. Be better.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Flattered that someone spent money on me to prove? Something?

I'm more upset that my redtext is a weird "You're a badposter, now post in the rest of D&D!"

I've said way more redtext worthy things. This is the worst internet RaHoWa EVER.

E: also I'm technically biracial. Though one-drop and so on.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 24, 2016

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Which is extra funny because this is the Negrotown thread, which is a Key and Peele sketch.

:vince:

My redtext is not a poor waste of petty cash but a warning to not get meta.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Looks like we are taking over every sport, even internationally.

This young man from Texas just joined the lowest division of Sumo. Hopefully in the next few years he will make it up the ranks.

Can we put him in the next Negrotown thread's OP? Can we get someone to direct his biopic?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

Hey Teen Witch, I'm originally from Sweden as well, and I was curious what your impressions are of us. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that each country has it's flavor of racism, and I was wondering what your experience with the swedes are in that regard, if you are ok with sharing.

I had a colleague who infuriatingly insisted on calling chocalate balls for its racist name. Would be comical if not so pathetic.

Absolut! Efter SFI, så senare.

E: Or now, we ended early.

So my impressions of Swedes is its a country thats trying to do the right thing. It doesn't have the heinously gory history that the USA has, which at times is really hard to remember. Outside of SD and Nordfront shitheads existing and breathing, the race relations seem to come from a place of naïvety.

Like take raggare for instance. Anytime I've explained that the Confederate rag gives me same sickening reaction as the Nazi flag, most are really confused as to why. Like they think its way more Pan-American and a universal sign of rebellion vs. the horrifying history they most of the time don't know about or understand how deeply it hosed and continues to up a few million peoples lives. However, Swedes are more receptive to education and learning why its really lovely to use it. But on the other hand, they've pretty much never been confronted with why its hosed up and most Swedes come off as super conflict adverse. However, from when I visited in 2014 to moving in 2016, I've seen about 95% less of it around which is really comforting.

I am living with my white Swedish partner in Eskilstuna, and that too has been...interesting. The living situation (pretty much domestic partners) is referred to as a....sambo :ironicat: (though to be fair, it makes total sense. Sam = same, bo = reside. Living together). We've dated for nearly 4 years, and I moved here in May. His family really likes me, and I've had no problem in that regard, which was my biggest fear. Nearly everyone sees me as "his American girlfriend" and I can't even remember getting the "but where is your family from?" question from anyone.

I've seen a whole lot more white dude-woman of color relationships here, which is really loving nice for once. These two articles (and there many more) ring very true for me. I went to a Dia Psalma show in Örebro twoish weeks ago and I've NEVER been hit on more by rando white dudes in my life. I'm an obese brown goth from Long Island, anytime a guy comes up to me and says something nice, it's a creepy catcaller or chubby chaser. Was some of it probably exoticization? Without a loving doubt. But coming from a country where you're deigned as unlovable, unwanted, and hideous or worse, """"sassy""""? It was probably one of the few times in my life I felt attractive and even better, confident. The only thing I felt that was weird is that my partner was at the show as well, and some of the guys were uh, not observant with boundaries.

Also, regarding your colleague, I'm guessing you've seen this: Sunes Sommar. I've never seen it called the old name, but the reaction from Sune's dad is pretty much the naïvety-but-trying-hard sentiment.

I'd also end this with that this experience is way loving different than the refugee experience and the Roma experience.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 25, 2016

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

Cool! Also, didn't know you're on SFI. What's your experience been with the course? Tell me eeeeverything!

SFI is tough but great! It's entirely immersive, and everything is taught in Swedish. I'm the only native English speaker there so I have a bit of a weird advantage, but most of the Arabic speakers and teachers can speak English as well. I'm also the only American. I can read Swedish pretty well, but writing and speaking makes me a smidge anxious. When I'm conscious of "I must speak Swedish now and everyone is judging" I'm terrible, but if its more natural and free flowing (ie: among friends or drunk), its way better. I've had great teachers, I really like the program as a whole.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Exploring new dimensions in white fragility

CVS Employees Hide and Call Police After Black Man Tries to Buy Cheese

http://jezebel.com/cvs-employees-hide-and-call-police-after-black-man-trie-1789411574

I've been guilty of cheesin' while black but not like this...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I guess they figure that minorities are going to vote Democrat anyways. Also it's basically them lashing out at everybody but themselves, similar to Dan Savage and the prop 8 vote.

Yet the mythical lower class whites who voted for Trump are not identity politics :iiam:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

I know that a good portion of the country has no loving idea how to interact with the black community in a non-shameful way, but the reality of it always manages to depress me. You'd think I'd be immune at this point.

I mean, you can look in this very thread...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyway, back to the actual subject of the thread: did anyone think Roof would not be convicted? Like you'd need to be doing some stretching for a hard rear end reach of him being not guilty.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, hope is a lie and I know that bowl cut motherfucker is going to get away with a slap on the wrist for something.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BeanBandit posted:

I'm not calling her worthless, but the way she responds to people is to denigrate and disparage anyone who has an opinion that differs from hers. gently caress that, and gently caress her.

There's "having a different opinion" and then there's "you came into this thread making GBS threads it up" and sadly dude, you are very much in the latter.

Going after TB and only TB when most of us share the same opinions is kind of sus as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You know, I'm reading a history of Detroit from an urban planning perspective, and this is complete and utter bullshit. Everything that is wrong with Detroit, from the historical race riots to the destitution today, is because of white people being assholes to black people. Hate strikes, redlining, mayors being voted in for two decades running on a platform of keeping their town "lily white", lovely white landlords exploiting black people and charging them double the rent they do white people because black people literally had no other options, and a whole heap more racist poo poo. So no, don't come with your "shared culture and history". You may as well say that slaves and slave owners in the South had a "shared culture and history".

Oh I'd say they have the same history, just different sides of it, namely; the oppressed and the oppressor. To be fair that might be a bit more of a "potay-to po-tah-to" thing.

• Locked thread