Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
WELCOME TO NEGROTOWN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg58d8opQKA

So this is the Black (not Blacks) Culture Thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k

What will be discussed here:

Blackness

More Blackness

Super Blackness

Women of Color

Men of Color

Gay Men of Color

Trans People of Color

Aaaaaand everything in between!

GROUND RULES

Whooo! This is going to be a lot...so:

1. THIS AINT A RACISM OR ANTI-RACISM 101 CLASS!

Seriously, the posters here are not present to hold your hand through the discovery of your white privilege and all that it entails. We have jobs, families, and we won't be your magical negro to impart on you life wisdom on how to be a better person.

If you want a good primer, here's some good places to start.

Read those before you post.

After all, there's a test at the end.

2. SHUT UP AND LISTEN.

You don't know everything. In fact, in the sum totality of human knowledge, you really don't know poo poo. That goes for you, me, everyone. So if someone is posting about their lived experience, a study they read, etc, and you don't actually know (as in, not how you feel about something while lacking any actual context), then shut up and LISTEN. It's how we grow as people to become better people.

3. KILL WHITEY

Ooops, didn't mean to copy that one over from the Secret Black Cabal meeting....

I've said too much.

Moving on...

4. DON'T DOUBLE DOWN

Oh, no, you've stumbled in here on good faith and then said a thing some consider lovely.

DON'T DOUBLE DOWN!

Apologize, recognize what you said was lovely, and keep it moving. It's for the best.

5. DON'T BE THIS PERSON

"Black-on-white crime is proof that black people just hate all whites!"

"Talking about race is racist!"

"BET, Black Girls Rock and Black History Month exclude white people. How racist!!"

“I don’t see race. I only see the human race.”

“Talking about issues in terms of ‘white people’ and ‘white privilege’ is reverse racism.”

“You [person of color] clearly don’t know what racism is. According to Webster’s Dictionary...”

“You [person of color] said something about white people doing racist things, so I demand you explain this to me right now.”

“But my [person of color] friend said it was OK if I did it [racially problematic thing].”

“Stop attacking me for having privileges just because I’m white. It’s racist and hurtful.”

“I’m sick of pretending that [people of color] need special rights and programs just because they aren’t white. We have problems too, you know.”

All that has been addressed before.

6. RELAX

No one is going to jump down your throat if you ask a question, especially if its a nuanced one with no real right answer, like "Do all black people say nigga?" or "Is wearing weave ok?"

We will however, ask you to leave in a not polite manner if you ask "why do black people commit SO MUCH CRIME?"

...because gently caress you.

But seriously, I know you may feel awkward about coming in here and participating, and we as black people totally get it. That's pretty much everywhere for us. So sit back , learn, relax, have fun, and feel free to ask educated and quality questions.

7. RAGE FODDER

'Rage fodder' is oppressive memes or posts that will simply trigger and enrage group members without purpose. These threads are generally not productive, and are not conducive to a safe space. If you *have* to share something like this, please put the image(s) in the comments and explain how it makes you feel and what you need the group's help with when working through those emotions. You can also post the image via tumblr or imgur.

8. IF YOU'RE ALREADY THAT GUY FROM RULE 5, DON'T PARTICIPATE

We have dealt with plenty of unrepentant racists already, so if you feel like this is the place to defend or redeem yourself, or argue about how totally not racist you are and how you're just a poor understood white man 400 lb hacker covered in cheeto dust rear end in a top hat person.

We get it, and also we don't want you here. You know who you are.

The mods know about the creation of this thread, and will be keeping a very watchful eye, so unless you're looking to take a nice long break from SA, I suggest you troll elsewhere.

:siren: TAKE NOTE: :siren:
I’m Not Your Racial Confessor
The black person’s burden of managing white emotions in the age of Trump.

McMillan Cottom posted:

I only owe people as much good faith as they extend to me. Part of that good faith is Googling before you waste my time because you value me and my time.

My momma always said that until people asked the right question, they weren’t ready for the right answer. If you ask me a broad, unspecific, basic-rear end question, then you aren’t ready for a serious answer from a serious person.

Also, if you want the black experience summed up in 2 music videos, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_AQFnqMY3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8

Now with that out the way, welcome to Negrotown!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

This is perfect. I'm in tears.

I do what I can.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Let me go on ahead and add this to the first post.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will try, as a good ally, to not gentrify the gently caress out of this town

I see you raising the property values already!

And take down that silly rear end petition to get a Starbucks that serves pumpkin lattes year round!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

All I ask is that you add a Negrotown gif to the OP.

Done and done.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Heavy police presence in Negrotown? Nothing new there.

Well played.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Next on the negro agenda: John Conyers Reparations bill.

The fact that we can't even get a study into how hosed up poo poo was is telling. Even when it comes to reparations talk, you still get "allies" who don't want even a study being done about that kind of thing. Also, it is hilarious to me the people who criticize "The Case for Reparations" clearly without having even read it.

I mean, it doesn't surprise me, not even on a racism level, but on a personal one.

If someone wanted to launch a study on how much you owed them and you KNOW you owed them bigly, you'd block that poo poo to hell and back.

Rick_Hunter posted:

G-drat, got an Africa tag and everything.

This is dope.

I felt like that was a proper touch.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's a good primer/starting place on the reparations issue? I wasn't even aware it was still a debate, and I'd like to read about it.

Right here in my bookmarks!

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

edit: beaten by the white man again like its 1853.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Ok, upon reflection, I have one criticism..

You should've used this Bey gif, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o

Added.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is supposed to be a banme or not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Police move quicker in black neighborhoods, didn't you know?

Lightning Knight posted:

gfsincere I wasn't paying attention when you joined and I was largely in the wilderness politically during the formative years of BLM. I literally heard about the Ferguson case during a class I was taking at the time that used it as an example of an issue to write an essay about months after the fact.

So I would like to respectfully ask you, should you have time, to at some point write up a post about your personal experience as a Legit BLM Activist Man (superhero name, patent pending).

Sure! I never really talk about it that much, tbh. There are much more visible people that were there like Deray and Netta, and they've spoken about it at length, but sure, I'll write something up soon.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hope this isn't a violation of rule 1, but I wanted to ask.

I adore Ta-Nehisi Coates, and have also read and enjoyed Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jesmyn Ward, Roxanne Gay, and Colson Whitehead.

I guess I was just wondering if there were any other contemporary critics or writers you think deserve more attention, wish more people read. I want to keep expanding my perspective.

Not even close to a violation.

Shonda Rhimes has a good book, pretty much anything by bell hooks, and there were tons of suggestions in the last thread.

thechosenone posted:

Question, (one that isn't all that serious, but is also not an attempt to troll) How racist is it that when I think of cool black people, I think of Morgan Freeman, and Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr.? Because I'm sure its racist somehow, I just don't know exactly in what way, and how much.

Not saying that other black people aren't cool, just that they are the first to come to mind.

Morgan Freeman fell off my personal cool list when he went on that "racism doesn't exist" rant.

When I think cool black people, I think Billy Dee Williams, personally.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

To be serious, I would also like to know how African americans view the election. How much worse has voter surpression efforts gotten? Have you had problems with early voting, especially compared to how it usually is?

Well I wasn't able to vote in this election. I didn't get a chance to register with the whole moving states and stuff, but the efforts in NC and Ohio have been worse than their usual shenanigans it seems.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Speaking for myself obviously but chattel slavery was a terrible thing and we are still living with the ramifications of it, Jim Crow and the institutional racism that followed.

America was literally built on the backs of my people. For free. We deserve payment.

At least let us not pay taxes and our kids not pay taxes, and their kids not pay taxes.

Also free college for those 3 generations as well, at any school we get in.

3 generations of tax free income adds the gently caress up.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I think one of the misconceptions that white people have about reparations is that its supposed to be some kind of lump sum to say "sorry about slavery"

It's not. Reparations would have to be, at least, a multi-generational investment in every level of infrastructure in black communities.

This as well.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I asked you about this another time and you mentioned home ownership, and imo from an econ perspective home ownership would be a safer investment than tax free income. Tax free income would wildly fluctuate in usefulness depending if you're actually employed and how much you make, etc., whereas working aggressively to get black people their own nice homes that they own and don't have to answer to banks or the government for would go a long way towards securing long-term prosperity for black families.

We could do both, mind you, I'm just saying that if we had to boil it down to like pick two and that's it, a quality education and a nice home to live in would be my picks to secure long term economic prospects for any family from a policy perspective. This comes with the fringe benefit that it's easier to frame "home ownership and education!" in positive American Dream terms than "no taxes!" when most of the country already doesn't believe black people pay taxes as it is, though that's tertiary at best.

I can see that.

Like I said then, I haven't really sat down and thought it through what reparations would look like.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

new name huh?

Yep, courtesy of an awesome mod.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh that's fair, I was just making an observation. I am of the mind that we should come at reparations more as a matter of trying to help black people now, because no amount of money or things can make up for the blood, sweat, and tears of millions of dead slaves and former slaves we let fall through the cracks in the formation of this country. Also, semi-related, I'm also thinking in terms of stimulus policy, which reparations would actually be super awesome stimulus policy, and in general stimulus policy works better when managed in concrete terms of "get people to buy or use x" instead of throwing out free money in the form of tax breaks because it's easier to direct that way and ensures that people benefit from it.

I would also argue that poor people would benefit more from home ownership than low taxes when they probably don't pay that much in taxes as it is, at least in terms of federal taxes.

The funny thing is that you get a lot of "sins of the father" arguments against reparations, but when you show them how they are still sinning and benefiting from those sins, that tends to shut them down right quick.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Oh I'm sure, but that's online. In person they turn into a sputtering mess.

But they are going to go quietly about it.

It should definitely happen, and the fact that it gets talked about as a political issue, when we can't even get the government to issue an apology in the same way these did victims of Japanese internment, shows we have a long way to go.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I was just going to say to leave all that white poo poo back where you came from. Not really something you can do, but usually when people gentrify, they bring all the poo poo that they like instead of actually investing in the neighborhood stuff.

Or just let us move to yall neighborhoods and you stay where you're at.

If we can fix that problem, then we might be less uptight about gentrification.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This thread just makes me think about my ex. She was Kenyan and it was from her that I learned Africans hate american blacks for some reason.

The "some reason" is the export of American culture, and one of the things we export is only allowing black people to play criminals and thugs, and our news which paints us all as such. They think that when they get here they can be "separate" from us and ingratiate themselves with the white power structure as "not one of those American blacks", but find out eventually that they are just another friend of the family to them just like us, just a friend of the family with an accent.

The Oldest Man posted:

Can you put a rough dollar value on this in today's dollars?

negromancer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I think this is putting the cart before the horse.

Also, a lot of people that immigrate here are pretty well off compared to American born black people.

Right, they also like to compare themselves, the lucky and fortunate 1% that can get the gently caress out of their country to our poorest and go "this is why we're so awesome, why can't black people in the US get it together?"

Then just point out how our poorest have refrigerators and their poorest don't know what the hell one is, and that shuts them up right quick.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was an interesting story on NPR a few weeks ago about a black American who faked being Kenyan for his entire first semester at an almost all-white college and how white people loved to hang out with him because he was an "exotic" black person and not a "normal" black person.

That reminds me of when I was in Ireland for 3 weeks on this NATO thing, and I was hanging out with British military intel guys and SAS dudes (scary rear end bastards), and while there I picked up an Irish accent and couldn't drop it for like 3 months.

LET. ME. TELL. YOU.

White women loved me for those 3 months.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

The Oldest Man posted:

I suppose I was thinking of a debt-pricing approach. I'm curious if anyone has done the math on what the inflation and interest-adjusted value of slavery is/was over its lifetime existence in the US.

I mean we can look at the typical overhead for a business producing cotton today, how many man-hours, adjust for inflation, and then triple it because of you know, the whole raping, beating, and killing thing, and we can come to a nice good number.

ImpAtom posted:

I have a good friend who is black and from Ireland and according to him his accent is the finest aphrodisiac on the planet. Evidence supports his theory.

I sounded like Colin Farell for 3 months and I hated/loved it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think that reparations number is lowballing.

It should be at least as much as was wasted on the F35.

So about 2 Trillion dollars invested in homes and education for POC. Taken right out of loving Wall Street because of how much money that particular institution has scammed POC out of just in the last few decades.

Thats my idiot white person suggestion, but I suspect even that is still lowballing.

Well, the value of all the slaves in 1860 exceeded the material wealth of the country outside of slavery, so yeah, probably lowballing.

That and the whole destruction of actual towns like Black Wall Street in the early 20th century, yeah we got some money coming.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

For another context, we will spend an additional $400B on veterans benefits from Iraq alone. That's not even the actual cost of that war. Just the increase in Vet benefits.

Although I would really want to see the alternative reality media freak when a planeload of $12B in shrinkwrapped bills gets lost in Atlanta or Oakland.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dreylad posted:

I've gotten hints of it through media, but what are some of the intergenerational issues that exist between different older and younger African-Americans? A lot of it seems to be tied to respectability politics but I assume it's more complicated than that.

Respectability politics combined with the whole "if you go to college you're guaranteed a good job like the white folks!", which has not borne fruit in a lot of cases.

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/22/12577444/tristan-walker-and-company-bevel-razor-diversity-culture-fit-podcast

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...panic/14684211/

https://42hire.com/the-big-lie-tech-companies-and-diversity-hiring-f52fb82abfbf#.l8th894mj

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Eej posted:

Is this similar reasoning to why Carribean Islanders emphasize where they're from? Not that I'm implying that there is some conflict there. Carribean Islander of course not being a very useful term anyway since there's plenty of latinx, white, native and asian people from the Carribean anyway.

It's part of it. A lot of them have had their own struggles with colonialism (my girlfriend lived in Jamaica until she was 7 and tells me new poo poo all the time) and they have their own cultural pride within the African diaspora.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

big scary monsters posted:

I guess what I'm saying overall is that socialism is the answer to the economic problem. The other problems are more difficult and are only partially addressed by what I've suggested. As to how you would actually effect any of these policies in a country which hates poor people probably even more than it hates PoC, I have no idea.

Eh, yes and no.

One of the reasons Bernie couldn't capture the minority vote was because of his socialist "a rising tide lifts all boats", which isn't worth a hot gently caress in a garbage chute if you don't have a boat to begin with.

But for the rest of it, you make a lot of really good points. Thanks for your contribution.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Holy gently caress, our school system. As someone with several generations back teaching in US public schools (specifically Louisiana public schools), and now working towards a job there myself, the topic of this thread is very much of interest to me. I've read some books and taken a black history course, and I came up through grade school in majority black public schools, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the topic, not being black myself. Following these discussions is important to me, as I feel I have a duty to my community and everyone in it, and definitely will have a duty to my community's kids if I wind up going down the path I've set. Most of those kids will be black, and I don't want to fail them.

Well pull up a chair, sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Welcome to Negrotown!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I would just like to say, gently caress the Harambe meme. People think they are so hilarious whenever its brought up but it was never really all that funny.

On a positive note, I love the movie Dope. A movie about a black nerd character getting himself into a predicament and trying to figure his way out of it. The world needs more black nerd characters. We do exist.

I hated the Harambe meme because it really showed how white people care more about the life of literally any animal over a black life.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko posted:

It's been a while, but what do you think of Larry Wilmore getting canceled because he "doesn't resonate with comedy central's audience?" It sounded like coded language to me.

I thought his show was great, personally.

I got to go backstage and get the full VIP treatment due to my best friend Felonious Munk being a regular guest on there.

https://www.instagram.com/blacktonystarks/

You can see pictures of it around 26 weeks ago. I don't take many pictures.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*me scanning through your photos*

Whoa wait... is that MVP?

Yessir. He was down in Ferguson.

He told me I shouldn't have given up on wanting to be a pro wrestler in high school.

Such a cool rear end dude.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We're gonna need to chat pro wrestling and Marvel comics sometime

As you can see, I'm very into Marvel.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Where is Negrotown located geographically? I'm looking at AirBNB and they don't mention it at all. In fact, I don't see any black people in any of these pictures.

We only rent on NoireBnB.

Panfilo posted:

I was curious about what happens when two different systems of privilege collide; do racist brains get some kind of floating point error?

The police have enormous privilege; and white people will idolize them and feel like their actions are completely justified.

White victims of violence have enormous privilege as well - if a white kid dies, it's a national tragedy. Their actions leading up to their death are often taken at face value, lawsuits and legislation are quick to follow.

So what happens when you get a race - reversed Tamir Rice incident? A uniformed black police officer shoots and kills a white kid playing with a toy gun. Will the privilege of being an officer override the privilege of being a white victim? Will the officer's colleagues and union stand behind him with the same vigor as a white officer? Could we expect the same degree of victim blaming levied at the child, or will he be deified for being an innocent victim of police misconduct?

You had a white police officer shoot a 4 year old white kid at a traffic stop and kill him, and the only group that gave a poo poo was BLM.

So...who knows?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

greetings from a chinese-american interloper, and dearest apologies for the racist reactionary scumfucks in our community who cheered when peter liang went free and who organized pro-peter liang marches in new york over the past two years

Yeah...the Chinese community really hosed itself in NYC with that one, considering politically how much they relied on other minorities to get stuff passed for their communities.

That poo poo ain't happening now considering their argument was basically, "hey, why can't we kill black people without consequences? Aren't we the model (read: pet) minority?"

How quickly they forget about this same country sticking them in mountains and caves and blowing them the hell up.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

W/r/T Latinx or Latin@ I just go by whatever people seem to prefer. My teenage cousin uses latin@ to refer to our family and I picked it up from her but I use both pretty interchangeably. There are lots of black Latinx folks, but unfortunately I'm not one of them lol. I don't hang out with the El Salvadoran part of my family much basically because of the story about my cousin, her mom and her husband. He's kind of a prick, a very very old school dude. I actually don't really hang out with the Italian or black sides of my family either though because of crazy e/n worthy poo poo. The exceptions are my mom, grandmother. My sister is going to school in Arizona atm so we just kinda keep up with each other.

I would definitely say take a look at race issues in places like Brazil, where the Afro-Latin racial issues are similar but also very varied. Going to Brazil and seeing it for myself was very interesting.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Race Realists posted:

Sorry, should've been more specific. The part about black women being the most undesirable

Look at any study from pretty much any dating website or any media from the past 40 years. Men desire black woman features, not black women.

Also there's a difference between saying "there's toxic masculinity in the black community" and "black masculinity is toxic" and I'll let you guess which is acceptable to say and which isn't.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do wonder how fair it is to try and claim the black community is uniquely bigoted towards the LGBT community. The black community is subject to the same social forces pushing LGBT hatred as white America is. Is there really a unique issue in the black community or is it just that LGBT hatred is an issue in American culture, and the black community exists within American culture like everyone else?

Admittedly, I am sensitive to this because, as a white outsider, I have primarily seen the idea of "black homophobia" used to try and nullify and deflect away from the realities of racism. A lot of white people uncomfortable with the truth about modern racism are quick to try and vilify the black community to try and weaken their sense of personal moral responsibility.

If it is considered as a unique issue within the black community however, instead of just from an outsider perspective, I would like to hear more about it though.

I think it boils down to the simple rule of:

We should loving know better.

It's people literally walking this earth right now in 2016 that will talk about black liberation and freedom, then 5 minutes later talk about how gay marriage needs to go away. The fact that the connection in their brains has never been made that part of the liberation would be a) from the religious bullshit forced upon us as slaves, as we didn't come here Christians, and b) you can't fight for freedom while taking away someone else's.

That being said, it doesn't excuses black homophobia, sexism, or transphobia, but virtually every problem in the black community can be traced back to slavery and our treatment at the hands of white America.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

I'm of two minds about this.

Any black dude who makes it well known and has to preach it from the mountain tops about how he doesn't date Black chicks is an rear end in a top hat and deserves all the scorn he gets, full stop.

But I've also seen black dudes who are dating or married to white chicks get dragged by the "hyper woke" black chick for who they just happened to fall in love with.

This exactly. And it doesn't matter really how you feel about black women if you're making 6 figures or more, because the numbers game catches you eventually.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
E: crazy double post.

drat phone posting.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

What do you mean here? (I'm just not quite sure which angle you're coming from)

As in, take me for instance.

I have zero inclination to date outside of my race. To me having a shared cultural bond is very very important, and I don't want to have to explain central parts of me to someone ("what's understood doesn't have to be explained").

That being said, as I climb the corporate ladder, it becomes increasingly white, and white women look at black men in that situation different than black women.

To a black woman, I'm still a black man first and foremost, and they have a wildly different cultural upbringing than white women, so my income or career path isn't really a motivating factor when it comes to dating. White women, it absolutely is. A man in his late 20s already making 6 figures is a catch for a white woman in corporate America, and my race for a lot of them becomes secondary.

Also, white women have ZERO shame in the workplace in my experience of approaching men and going after what they want, though black women culturally are still stuck in this mindset of "a man must come to me and recognize my greatness", though that gameplan statistically will not work in their favor whatsoever.

That's just my observations from corporate America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

I doubt they really think this, it's just TIC style "extrapolate racism out of everything someone says involving race"

At least they were smart enough to not reveal themselves, because that ban would have come on swift wings.

• Locked thread