Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Let me tell you about log cabin republicans...

gay white men have been basically fine with most of white america for a long time and they straight up do not give a gently caress about the rest of the queer community except when the queer community can help them get something they want. they got marriage equality, so now it's straight back to voting republican so that they can get tax breaks on their "we're two white men" income.

Do polls bear this out or is this just your gut feeling about white gays being the literal worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Koalas March posted:

Go ahead and ask about racism in the gay community. Seriously. please.

it's really, really bad. has been really, really bad and continues to be really, really bad.

I am gay, friend. I'm constantly, unpleasantly aware of the racism and other animus in the community. My only question was whether the assertion that white gays went for trump in aggregate had polling data to support it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ugh. I'd say juries should be required to be roughly representative of the racial makeup of their community but that's a crude easily twisted system, and doesn't help in the most lily-white places in America.

Honestly though this kind of bullshit is built into the system from the outset. Jury nullification was an implicit right of the people under the colonial system; it was thought that the townsfolk would be able to tell if the agents of the crown were making up bullshit about their neighbor. Which does work-- but only if you explicitly don't care about the people shunned by their neighbors for their gender or race or poverty or religion. That's how we got the Salem witch trials, and it's how we got Zimmerman. They're inseparable.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Taerkar posted:

I'm kinda shocked the defense even allowed for two black jurors to make it past the cutting.

Ran out of peremptories before they ran out of black jurors maybe. They'll be sure that doesn't happen next time though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Honestly y'all don't need to be in a coalition if you have no understanding of marxism-leninism or the way you sold out the communist party in the 50s.

drat I'm not sure you've got room in that cardboard box clubhouse for all the people cool enough to hang out with you?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

negromancer posted:

The jury took 24 minutes to find Treloar not guilty. When the verdict was announced, the defense lawyer joked "Why that jury knew that you can't kill a friend of the family by hitting him on the head. You gotta hit him on the heel!". Treloar walked to the evidence stand, pocketed his blackjack, and said "Now, by God, I can get back to rounding up bootleggers and niggers". Daniels's wife and children left the state shortly after the trial. Treloar remained a respected member of the community up to his death in 2006.

One of the few bits of progress that's been made since then is that people would actually call you racist if you came right out and admitted it like that these days. Of course, as a result, all the racists have learned not to come right out and admit it like that these days. Pretend I copy-pasted Lee Atwater here if you like.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

In other news, New Balance seems to be scrambling to try to cover up repair their image after a white supremacist group claimed them to be the shoes of white people.

Ahaha what. On what basis? Are they just going around and anointing things the Official X Of White People? The official cereal rice krispies? The official soda Diet Coke? The official outerwear brand L L Bean?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Agreed, Waller for president IMO.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I've been copy-pasting "there's no actual evidence the perpetrators had anything to do with BLM (a group so decentralized and nebulous that anyone can claim to be a part of it) or that the victim had anything to do with Trump" a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

negromancer posted:

Of course they had nothing to do with BLM. Like...I'm not even sure how one assumes they do. I mean, by that logic can I assume every white person is in the KKK until otherwise proven?

:shrug: I dunno, man, usually the news has gone through a half dozen reblogs and shares on social media by the time one of my friends gets ahold of it, god knows what racist poo poo happened upstream (lots of it is a safe assumption).

• Locked thread