Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As a white person, my perspective is: People are selfish and white people are in power. Even the most progressive white person is going to be selfishly biased to protecting their privilege because of that. Limiting the possibilities of racial justice to what white people are willing to give up is never going to be a good idea. If white people were not forced to change we would still be somewhere between chattel slavery and Jim Crow.

We, as a race and as a country, are only as progressive as we are forced to be.

This. The US census numbers are telling as regards things like the number of black registered voters in the South, around the time the U.S. armed forces were actually garrisoned in the South following the U.S. Civil War. When there was actual force behind the demands to knock that poo poo off. Though it's not like it stuck, given Andrew Johnson's swift backslide and later Congress's betrayal of black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

The point isn't even about reparations. It is the one thing that I can count on white liberals to lose their poo poo over. But you often hear people do want to support reparations, but it's totally reparations in the way "we" like. There never is any conversation about going forward with the study over the damage that these institutions caused or what a good jumping off point is. It's always about, let me just guess how to absolve our legacy of slavery and it is always "rising tide lifts all boats" bullshit.

Yep. What alternatives to Congressional sanction exist to discovering the realistic beginnings of reparations? Is that bill that gets ritually shot down every year really our only avenue to real reparations talk seeing the light of day?

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

Basically if there is a way to turn an otherwise good idea into another tool for systematic racism, America has almost always tried really really hard to do it that way. See: public education.

We managed to turn the idea of "educate kids no matter their race" into a school to prison pipeline that is incredibly selective for non-white kids.

Holy gently caress, our school system. As someone with several generations back teaching in US public schools (specifically Louisiana public schools), and now working towards a job there myself, the topic of this thread is very much of interest to me. I've read some books and taken a black history course, and I came up through grade school in majority black public schools, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the topic, not being black myself. Following these discussions is important to me, as I feel I have a duty to my community and everyone in it, and definitely will have a duty to my community's kids if I wind up going down the path I've set. Most of those kids will be black, and I don't want to fail them.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

negromancer posted:

Well pull up a chair, sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Welcome to Negrotown!

Yeah, the first goal is to learn to laugh about it all without laughing AT it, I guess? Because the first black history course I took was the usual history nerd fare (Kingdom of Mali, West African culture, etc.), and then the mass chattel slavery starts up and it all just got depressing as poo poo. There really is nothing like that first moment of :stonk: as the professor begins telling you about all the horrifying poo poo that happened to those people. It just becomes NEW AND MORE COMPLICATED FLAVORS OF AWFUL poo poo TOO, FOR THE REST OF HISTORY WOOOOOO

edit: Though the biggest thing I've taken from that course was that the historiographical bent of black history has been moving towards "what have black people done for themselves?" instead of the previous question, "what did slavery/oppression do to black people", which came after the ever-delightful "what did slavery do for black people", which apparently is still being trotted out today???????

plaintiff fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 8, 2016

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Thread, allow me to share this with you, from the bowels of *chan /pol/. I wanted to :smug:, and also note that I am diamond-hard at their rage. It has already begun. It might be an opinion poll, but I'm treating this as a fappetizer for the tears and mad to come.

Be advised, they say the n-word so fair warning

:gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

So noted, all. I don't really have a vote on the topic, but if asked, I'll refrain.

• Locked thread