Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've gotten hints of it through media, but what are some of the intergenerational issues that exist between different older and younger African-Americans? A lot of it seems to be tied to respectability politics but I assume it's more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Phildaelphia's Poet Laureate Yolanda Wisher's A Letter to the President-Elect and to All of US

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

In 1986, Sessions became only the second nominee in 50 years to be denied confirmation as a federal judge after allegations that he had made racist remarks. Those included testimony that in 1986 he had called an African-American prosecutor "boy," an allegation Sessions denied.

Sessions said he was not a racist, but said at his hearing that groups such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the American Civil Liberties Union could be considered "un-American."

gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

I don't want to hijack personal experience but the history of Native-African communities is really interesting and often overlooked. Even later on in post-secondary the history of groups like the Seminole got overlooked, which is incredible given how long they resisted the American government, living away from white settlements and slavery.

I forget who said it, but the history of the Americas before the 18th centuries is really the history of Africans and Native Americans given that the majority of people coming to the Americas (many didn't have a choice obviously) were Africans.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You know African-American institutions like the Black Episcopal Church provide charity and financial support to poor people across the globe. African-Americans generally donate more time and money to charitable causes than other people. So ignoring the 'other people have it worse' that post doesn't even recognize the ongoing financial support African-Americans provide to people in the US and elsewhere.

• Locked thread